AVS Forum banner

14341 - 14360 of 33251 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also pulled a sturdy string through with my first cable, so that I had something to use for later pulls. Left a lot of extra length at both ends.

Get some of this stuff. Got a huge bottle for $7.57 delivered to my local Home Depot. Used a small amount, hardly measurable. Worked great. Easy cleanup and not messy, although I prepared for the worst, since I used it in my wife's tv room!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Wire-and-Cable-Lube-Synthetic-Polymer-51015/100647818

I'll never use it all.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
I connected my new "interim" AVR tonight; closeout priced Denon 4200 replacing a Denon 3312. Interim in that I won't be upgrading to Atmos for a while so the 4200's limited Atmos support will do for now. Just too much else to complete first. What an upgrade in sound from the 3312 after running Audyssey with my 7.1 setup.

I now have the Integral placed between the Samsung Player and the 4200 using the player's HDMI-1 output for both video and audio and that works fine.
The Directv C61K 4K box and the 1080P HTPC now connect directly to the 4200.
Then a single HDMI out from the 4200 to the RS500.

This configuration also seems to have fixed the sync issues I had with Directv when changing 4K channels. Must have been some incompatibility between the Integral and the Directv C61K client.

So the Integral has been relegated to just serving the Samsung player. I watched Lucy again tonight for the fifth time now already; this time completely in BT.2020 SDR. This was the best viewing yet.

I will be connecting an HDFury Linker to the 4200's HDMI 2 output and have it downscale 4K input to 1080P output so that I can have a 1080P TV connected as well. I believe that having the Linker make the 4200 think it has two 4K displays attached will make things a lot smoother when switching displays.

Reactions: krichter1

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will be connecting an HDFury Linker to the 4200's HDMI 2 output and have it downscale 4K input to 1080P output so that I can have a 1080P TV connected as well. I believe that having the Linker make the 4200 think it has two 4K displays attached will make things a lot smoother when switching displays.
I will have to go back to the site and see that, good idea.

·
Registered
904 Posts
New RS500 Owner here. I have configured a 2D user setting as per zombie's directions. I have the Panasonic UHD player and want to set up an HDR preset. I want to check out HDR with the combo but haven't a clue on a starting point. Any settings/links greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
- The Integral by default converts HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4. If you leave it that way it shouldn't matter which JVC HDMI input you choose.

- That is the correct mobile App.

- EDID 4k60-420 12-bit BT.2020 represents the maximum capabilities that the Integral reports to the player. It does not force the player to output that format. We use the 4K60-420 EDID with the Samsung player so that it does not output 4K60-444 from the Home screen menu in order to lessen the burden on HDMI cables. The menu is output at 4K60-420 8-bit using this EDID. I can't say what the Panasonic and Philips players do.
When playing UHD Blu-Ray discs with this EDID selected, the Samsung player outputs 4K24-444 10-bit even though the EDID specifies 4K60-420. Again I can't say what the Panasonic and Philips players will do.

- Those of us with Samsung players can't use the 4k24-422 12-bit BT.2020 EDID because I don't believe the player will output 4:2:2. My RS500 has never sync'd successfully if I try to use that EDID. Because 4K24 422 is the maximum capability reported, the Samsung player can't send 4K60-444 or even 4K60-420 for the Home screen menu and most likely would end up sending 1080P.

- I leave my Integral set to either 4K60-420 12-bit HDR BT.2020 or the non-HDR version. Then I use the App to switch between them if I want HDR or not. I don't think there would be an issue sending 1080P through the Integral with a 4K EDID selected, but I don't have my 1080P source devices routed through it so I can't say for certain.
Thanks for your very detailed explanation. However, I'm still confused by the following: If original HDR source material is [email protected] 4:4:4 BT.2020, what difference should I expect to notice in the projected image (seated 13 feet from a 110" diagonal 1.25 gain Firehawk screen) if it is stripped to [email protected] 4:2:0 BT.2020 by the Integral? Would the colors be less precisely rendered (for example, in definition or vibrancy)?

I had also asked how well the Integral would interface with 10 bit HDR UHD source material coming from a Roku 4 media player. What EDID option would I choose when playing that source?

·
Registered
63 Posts
New RS500 Owner here. I have configured a 2D user setting as per zombie's directions. I have the Panasonic UHD player and want to set up an HDR preset. I want to check out HDR with the combo but haven't a clue on a starting point. Any settings/links greatly appreciated.
JVC has recommendations for HDR and BT.2020 settings:
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/...0r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs600_rs500_rs400_uhd.html

They even include a BT.2020 color profile with instructions.

Where about on the Oregon Coast?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
It seems like that is the nature of the beast, with the newest technology, it is not plug and play. The BT2020 profile is much different than the other profiles, so even with the Fury, I need to change the color profile to BT2020 when watching HDR and back to a custom calibration profile when watching blurays and tv. I know what you mean about wanting a family friendly atmosphere. I use a universal remote so I can program a button with multiple steps - so if I select, say satellite, it will change the processor to the correct input, change to the preferred color profile (if I can find the code), even change the audio format, etc. Other than that, I know of no way to make it more user friendly.

I am not familiar with the screen display on the Epson, but I like the JVC display more than my previous sony projector. Of course, all I want to know is if the output is SDR/T2020 and then I sit back and enjoy. :)
If you use the user presets (user 1 to user 6) you can customize one for 2D, 3D, 4K HDR, 4K SDR/BT2020, etc. Then with your universal remote setup your macro having it select the preset based upon what you are watching. I have my presets setup with 2D SATV (Direct TV) & 2D HTPC (Blurays on PC).

·
Registered
904 Posts
I am in Lincoln City! Appreciate the link. Coming from the JVC RS1 it is quite the amazing upgrade and also a lot to learn on getting it set up. It is temporarily set up on a table right now in 1080P as my current cable won't do 4K. I have 2 35 foot cables to try on Friday and the mounting plate arriving on Monday. I have Deadpool UHD but have to wait until my cables arrive to try to get 4k working with uhd. I'm sure I'll be back when I get stuck again.

JVC has recommendations for HDR and BT.2020 settings:
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/...0r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs600_rs500_rs400_uhd.html

They even include a BT.2020 color profile with instructions.

Where about on the Oregon Coast?

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Thanks for your very detailed explanation. However, I'm still confused by the following: If original HDR source material is [email protected] 4:4:4 BT.2020, what difference should I expect to notice in the projected image (seated 13 feet from a 110" diagonal 1.25 gain Firehawk screen) if it is stripped to [email protected] 4:2:0 BT.2020 by the Integral? Would the colors be less precisely rendered (for example, in definition or vibrancy)?

I had also asked how well the Integral would interface with 10 bit HDR UHD source material coming from a Roku 4 media player. What EDID option would I choose when playing that source?
What source material is encoded that way? I don't know of any current source that is 4k60 4:4:4 BT.2020. I don't even know if that would be possible since I thought BT.2020 had to be at least 10 bit. I beleive that 4k60 4:4:4 10-bit would be illegal under current HDMI specs.

I don't know of any 4K60 UHD discs being released but I would guess that they will be encoded 4K60-420 10-bit. Current 4K24 discs are encoded at 4:2:0, not 4:4:4. Current UHD disc players are converting 4:2:0 from the disc to 4:4:4 for output although the Panasonic outputs 4:2:2. (With the Integral I can get the Samsung player to send 4:2:0 for UHD disc playback. So wouldn't retaining the 4:2:0 encoding actually be a good thing? Assuming the Samsung doesn't convert 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 and then back to 4:2:0?)

I returned my Roku 4 before I even got my Samsung UHD player so I never did much with it and the Integral.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
What source material is encoded that way? I don't know of any current source that is 4k60 4:4:4 BT.2020. I don't even know if that would be possible since I thought BT.2020 had to be at least 10 bit. 4k60 4:4:4 10-bit would be illegal under current HDMI specs.

I don't know of any 4K60 UHD discs being released but I would guess that they will be encoded 4K60-420 10-bit. Current 4K24 discs are encoded at 4:2:0, not 4:4:4. All of the current UHD disc players are converting 4:2:0 from the disc to 4:4:4 for output. (With the Integral I can get the Samsung player to send 4:2:0 for UHD disc playback. So wouldn't retaining the 4:2:0 encoding actually be a good thing? Assuming the Samsung doesn't convert 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 and then back to 4:2:0?)

I returned my Roku 4 before I even got my Samsung UHD player so I never did much with it and the Integral.
Thank you for the follow-up. Doesn't the Samsung UHD BD player provide HDR streaming apps? If so, are these also native 4:2:0 (capable of being converted within the player to 4:4:4)? If they have natively higher subchroma sampling, does remapping to 4:2:0 via the Integral noticeably reduce the HDR color quality/definition?

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Thank you for the follow-up. Doesn't the Samsung UHD BD player provide HDR streaming apps? If so, are these also native 4:2:0 (capable of being converted within the player to 4:4:4)? If they have natively higher subchroma sampling, does remapping to 4:2:0 via the Integral noticeably reduce the HDR color quality/definition?
I have no idea as to how Netflix and Amazon encode their content except it is 4K24. Those and YouTube are the only Samsung streaming Apps I use.

I mentioned earlier that even with a 4K60 4:2:0 EDID selected, 4K24 from both Netflix and Amazon is being output as 4K24 4:4:4 from the Samsung player. Amazon HDR content is even being output as 4K24 4:4:4 10-bit BT.2020.

I had several conversations with HDFury in the beginning as well about why was I getting 4K24 4:4:4 from UHD disc playback even though I selected a 4K60 4:2:0 EDID in the Integral?

The EDID is representing the maximum capability. So 4K24 4:4:4 and 4K30 4:4:4 are reported as being valid in the EDID. But 4K60 4:4:4 in not being reported as valid since 4K60 4:4:4 is greater than the 4K60 4:2:0 EDID I selected.

It's a bit more complicated in that I am guessing that the Integral takes the EDID reported by the display device (JVC projector) and then adjusts the EDID it reports to the Samsung. In this case it would not report 4K60 4:4:4 8-bit as being valid even though the JVC supports it since that would be greater than the 4K60 4:2:0 12-bit that I selected as the EDID.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I have no idea as to how Netflix and Amazon encode their content except it is 4K24. Those and YouTube are the only Samsung streaming Apps I use.

I mentioned earlier that even with a 4K60 4:2:0 EDID selected, 4K24 from both Netflix and Amazon is being output as 4K24 4:4:4 from the Samsung player. Amazon HDR content is even being output as 4K24 4:4:4 10-bit BT.2020.

I had several conversations with HDFury in the beginning as well about why was I getting 4K24 4:4:4 from UHD disc playback even though I selected a 4K60 4:2:0 EDID in the Integral?

The EDID is representing the maximum capability. So 4K24 4:4:4 and 4K30 4:4:4 are reported as being valid in the EDID. But 4K60 4:4:4 in not being reported as valid since 4K60 4:4:4 is greater than the 4K60 4:2:0 EDID I selected.

It's a bit more complicated in that I am guessing that the Integral takes the EDID reported by the display device (JVC projector) and then adjusts the EDID it reports to the Samsung. In this case it would not report 4K60 4:4:4 8-bit as being valid even though the JVC supports it since that would be greater than the 4K60 4:2:0 12-bit that I selected as the EDID.
I had thought that the main reason for remapping 4:4:4 HDR BT.2020 to SDR was related to the full HDR image being too dark and that 4k60 SDR WCG 4:2:0 BT.2020 was the preferred chroma/color space for the PJ. But your post apparently indicates that you're displaying full HDR (not SDR) from your streaming sources. Are you also experiencing a dark image when streaming HDR? If the image is acceptable, why would the HDR from a UHD BD source be problematic while streaming HDR be acceptable when both are emanating from the same box?

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
I had thought that the main reason for remapping 4:4:4 HDR BT.2020 to SDR was related to the full HDR image being too dark and that 4k60 SDR WCG 4:2:0 BT.2020 was the preferred chroma/color space for the PJ. But your post apparently indicates that you're displaying full HDR (not SDR) from your streaming sources. Are you also experiencing a dark image when streaming HDR? If the image is acceptable, why would the HDR from a UHD BD source be problematic while streaming HDR be acceptable when both are emanating from the same box?
I had thought that the main reason for remapping 4:4:4 HDR BT.2020 to SDR was related to the full HDR image being too dark
I would not know about that. I did not have that issue with UHD Disc HDR to my JVC RS500.
The reason I and others do HDR BT.2020 to SDR BT.2020 using the Integral is because black levels are raised too high when the JVC sees HDR and disables the auto-Iris. And how JVC recommends the Iris be wide open in high lamp mode for HDR.

and that 4k60 SDR WCG 4:2:0 BT.2020 was the preferred chroma/color space for the PJ
No, that is a preferred Integral EDID that those of us with the Samsung player and the JVC projector use to get BT.2020 SDR from the Samsung player. It has nothing to do with a preferred chroma/color space for the projector.

Are you also experiencing a dark image when streaming HDR? If the image is acceptable, why would the HDR from a UHD BD source be problematic while streaming HDR be acceptable when both are emanating from the same box?
As I mentioned I have never had a dark image when playing UHD discs with HDR or streaming Amazon content with HDR.

Now I seem to recall that before HDFury provided us with the 4K60 4:2:0 12-bit BT.2020 EDID that gets us BT.2020 SDR, some experimented with displaying REC709 SDR from UHD discs because they were dissatisfied with the raised black levels the JVCs had when viewing HDR content. I think that is where the dark image comments came from. The REC709 SDR image from the Samsung player was dark.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
I tried a few good ol' HD bluray clips up-converted to 4K by the Panasonic UB900 and I'm really loving what I saw. I'm not sure, but I think it's the best up-conversion I've seen.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
If the image is acceptable, why would the HDR from a UHD BD source be problematic while streaming HDR be acceptable when both are emanating from the same box?
I think some streaming sources like Netflix relegate color to rec709 rather than BT2020. What does that have to do with HDR and brightness? It could be that tone mapping for those is more consistent with that of HD blu rays.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Now I seem to recall that before HDFury provided us with the 4K60 4:2:0 12-bit BT.2020 EDID that gets us BT.2020 SDR, some experimented with displaying REC709 SDR from UHD discs because they were dissatisfied with the raised black levels the JVCs had when viewing HDR content.
Yes. If the content is graded for rec709 it will appear normal in brightness in terms of what we're used to; if it's graded for UHD BT2020 HDR, then it will appear darker in SDR, at least that's been my experience.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I would like to thank each of you who responded so patiently today to my numerous posts on this forum. The entire topic and theory of chroma subsampling and multiple color spaces is completely new to me and, frankly, quite intimidating. My head has been spinning from having read several thousand posts on various projector related AVS forums over the past several weeks. It's become clear to me that not every pairing of UHD player (disc or media streamer) will necessarily yield the same results from virtually the same material on any one Sony, Epson or JVC PJ out of the box (or with rudimentary calibration). It's obvious that this art form is far from plug-and-play. I certainly got my share of good schooling today! Thanks, again.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
I'm not aware of any streaming services that provide HDR or Rec.2020 for projectors. I thought all the HDR streaming services were using Dolby Vision, and only through certain TV's built-in Apps.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
I would like to thank each of you who responded so patiently today to my numerous posts on this forum. The entire topic and theory of chroma subsampling and multiple color spaces is completely new to me and, frankly, quite intimidating. My head has been spinning from having read several thousand posts on various projector related AVS forums over the past several weeks. It's become clear to me that not every pairing of UHD player (disc or media streamer) will necessarily yield the same results from virtually the same material on any one Sony, Epson or JVC PJ out of the box (or with rudimentary calibration). It's obvious that this art form is far from plug-and-play. I certainly got my share of good schooling today! Thanks, again.
Remember your reading a bunch of crazy enthusiasts. In reality it can be relatively plug and play. If you connect a UHD Blu-ray to an RS600, and you follow JVC's instructions, it will "just work".

However what the enthusiasts here have found, is that's doesn't produce the best quality, getting the best quality today means you have to be part engineer, and essentially "finish" designing the system.

14341 - 14360 of 33251 Posts