AVS Forum banner

14881 - 14900 of 33251 Posts

·
Registered
30,979 Posts
I am sorry about the flicker joke...I thought the smily at the end of my sentence made it obvious...No, no flicker at all. None. Nada.
I thought the joke part was, "you should get used to it." Now the post makes sense. Knew that you were happy with your JVC.

·
Registered
30,979 Posts
I plan on buying the OPPO UHD player when it comes out. This is going to be my first step into a larger world.

Is there an in wall HDMI cable that will work for sure between the OPPO and the RS500? there is no way for me to test if it is going to work or not, but I would like to update my HDMI cables right away since I have to destroy my ceiling to install 4 atmos speakers...
The cable lenght needed would be a little below 18 ft. Would the Certified Premium High Speed HDMI cable from Monoprice fit the bill? (I am not sure if it is rated for in wall or not...)
Why not run a conduit? That way you are good now and in the future.

·
Registered
30,979 Posts
There seems to be quite a lot of people here who enjoy the 3d of JVC. :) Could you check if the vertical stretch (which is used with anamorphic lens) works also with 3d movies? Most projectors can't do stretching when watching 3d movies.
Yes, it does vertical stretch for 3D.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about a configuration that might work for JVC Projectors (which don't have real 2160p resolution) with high brightness capability, to provide very accurate colors 3D LUT and proper tone/gamut mapping via software.
FYI, black text is basically impossible to read for those of us who use the "DARK" forum skin.

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
FYI, black text is basically impossible to read for those of us who use the "DARK" forum skin.
I'm sorry, can you look my post again to see if it's ok now? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about a configuration that might work for JVC Projectors (which don't have real 2160p resolution) with high brightness capability, to provide very accurate colors 3D LUT and proper tone/gamut mapping via software.

This will need someone to test it first, I think Carbon Ft Print is the right person to do such test since it's very experienced with software/hardware he will use.

The Video Chain will be: UHD Player -> HD Fury Linker -> eeColor 3D LUT Box -> JVC Projector.

eeColor 3D LUT box is working internally @ RGB levels, its internal processing is @ 16bit and it can accept signal up to 1080p60 (36bit color aka 12 bit per colorchannel).

The internal correction table of eeColor is 10-bit and 65-Point Cube, I believe it's the ultimate cube size to control such luminance differencies EOTF defined per luminance levels.

The UHD player has to output REC2020 HDR 2160p @ 10 or 12 bit per colorchannel signal.

Signal will go to HD Fury Linker which has internal scaller......and has to be configured to downscale to 1080p 10 or 12 bit, remove the metadata, remove the HDCP 2.2 (since eeColor supports HDCP 1.1) and make the signal RGB-Video.

RGB-Video 10/12 bit will enter eeColor (there will be no other internal colorspace conversions since when eeColor will get RGB-Video, it will apply the correction to RGB and then output RGB-Video to the same bit depth as it will get at it's input (10 or 12bit)

Then the signal will go to the projector....

LightSpace software will profile the projector and create the REC2020 with tone/gamut mapping since LightSpace it's been used a lot of time already to do this in post production area.

You can apply soft roll up to selected luminance levels etc...

You can use 21-point Cube...9261 Color Points..or create custom patch sets with more points...I don't think it will be required more patches...since LightSpace's engine will get the data from measurement of what's the capabilities of the projector and it will generate a 65-point cube correction using it's advanced engine interpolation.

Since projector will receive a 1080p signal, it's impossible to enable any internal processing for gamut/tone mapping that will screw the results.

As Kris Deering wrote, there is not needed to enable HDR to JVC since it's acting the same when you will select the Gamma D option.

If this work, then I believe it will be a great final results

I'm suggesting first of all for someone who has that required software/hardware to test and report back the results.

Theoretically it will work great!

PS: For some detail enhancing, a Darbee or e-Shift can be used, to restore some details, which I don't believe it's so much loss (from 2160p -> 1080p downscale) since most of the UHD movies now are just an upscalled 2K master to 2160p.

Wow… this is really outstanding Tedd… thanks for the creativity & out of the box thinking (thx to CF for bringing this to the forefront too!). :D

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
Wow… this is really outstanding Tedd… thanks for the creativity & out of the box thinking (thx to CF for bringing this to the forefront too!). :D
Thanks, we will wait the first person which will try this. I believe it's perfect solution for JVC users, or other display users with high output displays, since sending 1080p will bypass any current crappy internal gamut/tone mapping which doing it's own secret/unknown thing to colors; in their HDR mode.

·
Registered
9,892 Posts
Look again the original post, I added some details at the end. :)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I have to agree - Ted's thinking does seem to be valid...
It will need testing for final verification, but I can't see a problem from what Ted has described.

It will take the Beta version of LightSpace, but we are happy with all the Alpha testing, so would be happy to provide that to a LightSpace user wanting to test ted's theory.

Steve

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
I still only get 65% of the 2020 gamut when I do this in Calman, everybody else is getting 70% of the 2020 gamut. There is an issue.
Whoops, sorry. I misunderstood your first post on this. I thought you were wondering why you couldn't nail down the whole 2020 gamut .

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Thanks, we will wait the first person which will try this. I believe it's perfect solution for JVC users, or other display users with high output displays, since sending 1080p will bypass any current crappy internal gamut/tone mapping which doing it's own secret/unknown thing to colors; in their HDR mode.
The biggest hurdle for most (to test) will probably be having both a HD Fury Linker -> eeColor 3D LUT Box. ;)

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Well yes but 98+% is pretty darn close (if done right). ;)
Yes... why I bolded "almost". I can hardly wait but I have to get a new screen first. I have an old SMX AT screen that's too coarse for 4k. It's just OK for 1080. But the only material I've found that's as bright as the SMX and has smooth texture is AVS' own V2 material and I've got to save up for that first. I guess I could enjoy the colors on the SMX, but colors alone aren't enough. Gotta have 4k too! There are some native 4k disks, not just upsampled 1080's.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
So I did a full factory reset. Reloaded the original INIT config file and definitely ended up back in my precalibrated state.

I get 88% of the P3 primaries when I test before and after autocal, and 66% of Rec2020 and 76% of P3 when autocal'd and then tweaked saturation tracking in Calman.

I have worked out that my filter when engaged according to the images Manni posted in post 9 and 10 on the autocal thread is only resolving as much as what other people are getting without the filter engaged. Almost exactly the same response.

I tested the theory by loading in Manni's bt2020F and bt2020NF colour profiles and autocal'd both of those. Turns out my filter does kinda work, since the bt2020 no filter profile only yields 86% of the P3 gamut coverage, green and cyan without the filter definitely shift down lower. So, wow my filter only nets me ~2% more P3 coverage when engaged....

Time for a service? Green and Cyan are the main culprits. Neither of them reach very far, this seems to be evident on what the filter is supposed to do.

This is really dissapointing. I have only 575 hours on my unit. Do you think its possible I am seeing irreperable lamp drift of some kind? I literally have not lost a single lumen in the last 250 hours.

So I have 66% of Rec2020 tracking with very good tracking up to about 50/60% I might add, but seems I should be hitting 70% rec2020 and at LEAST 95+% of P3 primaries.

I tested all this with 75% stimulation. 100% stim was even worse.

HCFR seems to confirm the readings. And also my iDisplay seems to back up what the Spyder is measuring so I think my meters are close enough to be somewhat reliable.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
So I did a full factory reset. Reloaded the original INIT config file and definitely ended up back in my precalibrated state.

I get 88% of the P3 primaries when I test before and after autocal, and 66% of Rec2020 and 76% of P3 when autocal'd and then tweaked saturation tracking in Calman.

I have worked out that my filter when engaged according to the images Manni posted in post 9 and 10 on the autocal thread is only resolving as much as what other people are getting without the filter engaged. Almost exactly the same response.

I tested the theory by loading in Manni's bt2020F and bt2020NF colour profiles and autocal'd both of those. Turns out my filter does kinda work, since the bt2020 no filter profile only yields 86% of the P3 gamut coverage, green and cyan without the filter definitely shift down lower. So, wow my filter only nets me ~2% more P3 coverage when engaged....

Time for a service? Green and Cyan are the main culprits. Neither of them reach very far, this seems to be evident on what the filter is supposed to do.

This is really dissapointing. I have only 575 hours on my unit. Do you think its possible I am seeing irreperable lamp drift of some kind? I literally have not lost a single lumen in the last 250 hours.

So I have 66% of Rec2020 tracking with very good tracking up to about 50/60% I might add, but seems I should be hitting 70% rec2020 and at LEAST 95+% of P3 primaries.

I tested all this with 75% stimulation. 100% stim was even worse.

HCFR seems to confirm the readings. And also my iDisplay seems to back up what the Spyder is measuring so I think my meters are close enough to be somewhat reliable.

Hmm. Does seem odd. Can you do a P3 read using the REFERENCE color profile, rather than the 2020 profile? And make sure you select that you are trying to read a P3 gamut, not a 2020 gamut with the software you are using. Also, make sure any color management option is off.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Hmm. Does seem odd. Can you do a P3 read using the REFERENCE color profile, rather than the 2020 profile? And make sure you select that you are trying to read a P3 gamut, not a 2020 gamut with the software you are using. Also, make sure any color management option is off.

Yes I did that and it didnt change much. I think it was still 88% maybe 90%.

From memory Cinema 2 seemed to have the widest gamut, reference pulled them in a little.

Ill see if I can find the screenshots I took to show it. My projector is basically behaving as if the filter is not working. Though it definitely is, its just extremely useless in what it does. 2% gamut expansion and I am also losing 2fl, so something it happening when the filter clicks into place for sure.

This was also the case at 250hours when I did the Autocal the first time but I didnt quantify it at the time.

14881 - 14900 of 33251 Posts