AVS Forum banner

14941 - 14960 of 33256 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
My Marantz is a 6003 if that matters. I just don't understand what this would have to do with this issue when I plug it into the 500. I put the HDMI line back in the Sanyo, turned it on and get picture and sound.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Checked all cables tried different inputs on 500. As soon as I pull the HDMI out of the 500 the sound comes on. When I put HDMI back in to the 500 sound goes out and video goes on. Checked receiver and video is set to pass through and audio is not set to pass through. Exptremely frustrating. Just don't understand what the JVC could be doing that would make this happen.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
My Marantz is a 6003 if that matters. I just don't understand what this would have to do with this issue when I plug it into the 500. I put the HDMI line back in the Sanyo, turned it on and get picture and sound.
You are saying only Audio does not work.
But still, is your Marantz HDCP2.2 compliant?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
You are saying only Audio does not work.
But still, is your Marantz HDCP2.2 compliant?
Answering my own question.
Marantz 6003 is not HDCP compliant.
What source device you have for UHD? Samsung,Philips,Panasonic?

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I am not using UHD. Just cable box and Blu-ray.
If you had one of the UHD players, you could have connected one HDMI out to the RS500 and another to your receiver.
What you can do is connect HDMI directly from your Bluray player to RS500. For Audio you have to connect whatever available (Optical,coax,analog) from the player to the receiver.
Actually though, you should not be getting picture and also sound when connected via receiver.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
I am not using UHD. Just cable box and Blu-ray.
Try HDMI input 2 on the JVC and switch on the EDID 2 option in the JVC Menu (2nd Menu screen I believe)

Your 6603 is only HDMI 1.3 capable.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Beat me to it.
Mike - Haven't opened up the RS500 but plan to this weekend. Will the one you sent me have the latest firmware installed? Also what type of USB to serial adapters/cables is necessary for future firmware upgrades? I have a USB to serial cable that I used with CalMan on my PC and the Radiance for autocal for years which worked great. But I seem to recall that as of a few years ago the JVC units were really picky about what USB to serial cables worked - did they improve that so that it works with lots of cables now or is it still just a couple known good USB to serial cables that will work?

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I'm just wondering how RS500/600 owners would rate their PJ's audible noise in low lamp mode with e-shift on? I mean, when the volume outside is quiet, I can hear --but barely-- the PJ fans running with a very, very faint hum (when I listen for it) coming from e-shift being engaged, and that even depends on the angle from where I'm standing.

PJ is 4 ft over head if I were in seating position.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about a configuration that might work for JVC Projectors (which don't have real 2160p resolution) with high brightness capability, to provide very accurate colors 3D LUT and proper tone/gamut mapping via software.
The Video Chain will be: UHD Player -> HD Fury Linker -> eeColor 3D LUT Box -> JVC Projector.
I understand the concept, but I'm lost is some of the details,and wonder if you can provide more specifics. Here are some questions:

1) Is the S-curve you show have the correct parameters as shown in the menu, or is this a generic example, and you need to modify the parameters to your specific situation (e.g what your combined projector/screen/iris setting - peak NIT output is).

2) I assume the X axis of the curve is PQ input code scaled to 0-1. But the Y axis confuses me. Shouldn't it be 0-10K NITS, and be non-linear (like a gamma, or log scale).

3) In one of your previous posts, you explained the 10X rule. From that I would expect one to make the S curve hit 1 on the Y axis when the X input is at a lower value than 1. For example, you showed if your projector can hit 100 NITs peak, you would set the clip point at 1k NITs, which corresponds to X=0.75 (75%).

Finally, I would think you would want to use 2160p24 4:4:4 @ 12 bit from the UHD BD player to the linker, and 1080p24 4:4:4 @ 12 bit to the eeColor. As even though the UHD BD source is only 4:2:0 at 10 bit, there will be bit growth, both in the conversion to 4:4:4 in the UHD BD player, and in the down-conversion to 1080p24 4:4:4 in the linker.

Thanks for all of your efforts (and I like your test pattern disk:)).

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Wow… this is really outstanding Tedd… thanks for the creativity & out of the box thinking (thx to CF for bringing this to the forefront too!). :D
Thx for noticing. I was trying to use my 2 eeColor LUT boxes for 4k calibration through Integrals new "Screen Split" feature. This would split a 4K stream into 2 2k streams. Ted said it would require 4 streams and 4 eeColors ... too expensive and complicated. Ted's solution is HDR and 1080p based with one eeColor and a linker to down rez 4k to 2k, but still have HDR. The JVC could then up rez it to 4k again. See: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/2171745-hdfury-integral-99.html#post46995249 :)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I'm just wondering how RS500/600 owners would rate their PJ's audible noise in low lamp mode with e-shift on? I mean, when the volume outside is quiet, I can hear --but barely-- the PJ fans running with a very, very faint hum (when I listen for it) coming from e-shift being engaged, and that even depends on the angle from where I'm standing.

PJ is 4 ft over head if I were in seating position.
I have that slight hum with e-shift enabled as well, but I don't notice it when actually watching something with audio. Sure, when it's dead quiet it sounds annoying, but un-muting the audio and it's not noticeable.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thanks Mike and Javs. Changing to HDMI 2 and switching EDID to B worked. I still don't understand even though my receiver is a bit older why that would matter because the audio should stop at receiver and only video pass through. Anyway, for now it is working and that is all I care about at the moment.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I understand the concept, but I'm lost is some of the details,and wonder if you can provide more specifics. Here are some questions:

1) Is the S-curve you show have the correct parameters as shown in the menu, or is this a generic example, and you need to modify the parameters to your specific situation (e.g what your combined projector/screen/iris setting - peak NIT output is).

2) I assume the X axis of the curve is PQ input code scaled to 0-1. But the Y axis confuses me. Shouldn't it be 0-10K NITS, and be non-linear (like a gamma, or log scale).

3) In one of your previous posts, you explained the 10X rule. From that I would expect one to make the S curve hit 1 on the Y axis when the X input is at a lower value than 1. For example, you showed if your projector can hit 100 NITs peak, you would set the clip point at 1k NITs, which corresponds to X=0.75 (75%).

Finally, I would think you would want to use 2160p24 4:4:4 @ 12 bit from the UHD BD player to the linker, and 1080p24 4:4:4 @ 12 bit to the eeColor. As even though the UHD BD source is only 4:2:0 at 10 bit, there will be bit growth, both in the conversion to 4:4:4 in the UHD BD player, and in the down-conversion to 1080p24 4:4:4 in the linker.

Thanks for all of your efforts (and I like your test pattern disk:)).
1)The s-curve shape will vary depending on the parameters you enter into the LightSpace CMS menu.
It needs to be based on the display's peak Luma, the Peak Luma of the source material, and a user selected roll-off start point.

2) Both axis are normalised, as that is the best way to manage the scaling. But no, the Y axis should not be non-linear/Log based. The relationship of nits to bits is a fixed relationship.

3) And yes, you can use the 10x rule - all such parameters are user definable.

Steve

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quick question. When I am up close to the screen after the installation of X750, there is a slight shift of blue color above white letters. Would this be a cause for concern? And should I try the pixel shift option to try converging the colors? Short of any calibration device, what's the best way to achieve convergence?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Quick question. When I am up close to the screen after the installation of X750, there is a slight shift of blue color above white letters. Would this be a cause for concern? And should I try the pixel shift option to try converging the colors? Short of any calibration device, what's the best way to achieve convergence?
JVC projectors don't have a true convergence adjustment. That would require moving the LCOS panels or mirrors. The Fine Pixel Adjust feature uses electronic trickery to reduce one subpixel's intensity and increase a neighboring subpixel's intensity to provide the illusion of better convergence. While this can improve the appearance of standard convergence patterns that are several pixels wide, single pixel grids will show discoloration in the adjusted zones. Using the feature just trades one problem for another.

Single pixel grid pattern after using the Fine Pixel Adjust:

The following test patterns on the AVS HD 709 test pattern disc can be used to reveal the discoloration in zones that are adjusted using the Fine Pixel Adjust:
Misc. Patterns -> Resolution -> 3 Horiz. Resolution - 1 pixel
Misc. Patterns -> Resolution -> 4 Vert. Resolution - 1 pixel

The Whole Pixel Adjust is ok to use if needed, but the Fine Pixel Adjust should be avoided IMO. If you don't see the misconvergence from your seat, don't worry about it...

·
Registered
993 Posts
1)The s-curve shape will vary depending on the parameters you enter into the LightSpace CMS menu.
It needs to be based on the display's peak Luma, the Peak Luma of the source material, and a user selected roll-off start point.
I suspected as much. And if that is the case, what are the parameters one would use for say peak luminance of 100 NITs for the projector (so 1000 NIT peak luma - before clipping - using the 10x rule).

2) Both axis are normalised, as that is the best way to manage the scaling. But no, the Y axis should not be non-linear/Log based. The relationship of nits to bits is a fixed relationship.
Steve
So you are saying that the Y axis is proportional to NITs? For SMPTE 2084, that would mean Y=1 is 10k, and Y=0.5 is 5k. I thought at X=0.5 for 2084, you should get near 100 NIT. The graph at X=0.5 has Y=0.5. :confused: Still confused.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Ah - I see what you mean!

1) With LightSpace you can enter any values you want to get the best resulting Roll-Off.
(We will be adding an additional System Gamma variable too - watch this space!)
But, the default would be to use 1000 nits (100 x10) as the display max luma, assuming a real 100 nits max, and the source mastering peak (2000 or 4000 for example, as per the source material metadata).
The Roll-Off start point is user selectable - 90% is a good start value, but you may want to decrease that, to increase the roll-off...

2) As the ratio between bits and nits is fixed, the axis scaling is fixed automatically - so 50% Y is 100 nits, but is shown as a normalised 50% (0.5).

Better?

You can see this here:http://www.lightillusion.com/uhdtv.html
Look for the initial ST2084 graphs, which state the Nits clip point, and the HDR - WHITE LEVELS chart, about two thirds of the way down the page.

Steve

·
Registered
965 Posts
JVC projectors don't have a true convergence adjustment. That would require moving the LCOS panels or mirrors. The Fine Pixel Adjust feature uses electronic trickery to reduce one subpixel's intensity and increase a neighboring subpixel's intensity to provide the illusion of better convergence. While this can improve the appearance of standard convergence patterns that are several pixels wide, single pixel grids will show discoloration in the adjusted zones. Using the feature just trades one problem for another.

Single pixel grid pattern after using the Fine Pixel Adjust:

The following test patterns on the AVSHD 709 test pattern disc can be used to reveal the discoloration in zones that are adjusted using the Fine Pixel Adjust:
Misc. Patterns -> Resolution -> 3 Horiz. Resolution - 1 pixel
Misc. Patterns -> Resolution -> 4 Vert. Resolution - 1 pixel

The Whole Pixel Adjust is ok to use if needed, but the Fine Pixel Adjust should be avoided IMO. If you don't see the misconvergence from your seat, don't worry about it...
Thanks for the response Henrich. Much appreciated. I am still learning the menu options and will give the whole pixel adjust a try.

14941 - 14960 of 33256 Posts