AVS Forum banner

15081 - 15100 of 33251 Posts

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Are those the best glasses for the JVC? Does Amazon sell the glasses without the emitter for less (if I order 4 glasses I don't need 4 emitters).

Does it come with whatever I need to connect it to the RS500 - some three pin connector or something like that? Or do I need to buy something additional?

Do you remember the Optima 3D glasses from about 4-5 years ago. I have several pairs of those. I was thinking of getting 4 pairs of the polarized glasses for primary viewing, and then buying these extra Expand glasses for guests - but if the Optima glasses will work that I only need one pair of the Expand to get the emitter. I think?
That kit I posted includes the Xpand RF transmitter, it works identical to the $100 JVC transmitter.

The glasses by themselves are located here for $35 a piece

https://www.amazon.com/XPAND-X105-RF-X1-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Glasses/dp/B00BFO4XSA/

The X3 variant with horizontal polarization is only avail direct from xpand at the contract I provided. Or purchase the more expensive JVC glasses from a dealer, but they are identical as xpand makes thems for JVC.

Those Optoma glasses are also proprietary RF to the original MV3D transmitter, they will not work with the Xpand or JVC RF transmitter. Just about every other RF glasses on the market will work though so you have even more options for very inexpensive RF glasses. Someone posted an $11 pair that worked although they didn't look very sturdy.

Does your screen definitely retain polarization? My HP does not so I can get away with the inexpensive glasses.

edit, here is the kit with the transmitter + a nice case to hold the Xpand glasses, they fit perfect.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Are those the best glasses for the JVC? Does Amazon sell the glasses without the emitter for less (if I order 4 glasses I don't need 4 emitters).

Does it come with whatever I need to connect it to the RS500 - some three pin connector or something like that? Or do I need to buy something additional?

Do you remember the Optima 3D glasses from about 4-5 years ago. I have several pairs of those. I was thinking of getting 4 pairs of the polarized glasses for primary viewing, and then buying these extra Expand glasses for guests - but if the Optima glasses will work that I only need one pair of the Expand to get the emitter. I think?
That kit I posted includes the Xpand RF transmitter, it works identical to the $100 JVC transmitter.

The glasses by themselves are located here for $35 a piece

https://www.amazon.com/XPAND-X105-RF-X1-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Glasses/dp/B00BFO4XSA/

The X3 variant with horizontal polarization is only avail direct from xpand at the contract I provided. Or purchase the more expensive JVC glasses from a dealer, but they are identical as xpand makes thems for JVC.

Those Optoma glasses are also proprietary RF to the original MV3D transmitter, they will not work with the Xpand or JVC RF transmitter. Just about every other RF glasses on the market will work though so you have even more options for very inexpensive RF glasses. Someone posted an $11 pair that worked although they didn't look very sturdy.

Does your screen definitely retain polarization? My HP does not so I can get away with the inexpensive glasses.

edit, here is the kit with the transmitter + a nice case to hold the Xpand glasses, they fit perfect.

Thanks zombie10k. Even with JVC glasses the brightness increases when I turn my head 90 degree . Same when wearing polarized sunglasses . Does it mean my screen retain polarization ? Thanks

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Very interesting points you're making. This is why I hope a good internal HDR to SDR remapping system will become standard in all UHD blu-ray players going forward. Hopefully Oppo can pave the way with their upcoming UDP203 player and others follow. Fingers crossed that it does as good of a job at the remapping as the Panasonic UB900 does. As you say, it really seems like SDR/2020 is going to be the best option for UHD blu-ray on projectors for a very long time.

By the way, is there any reason why remapping has to do be done in the player? It would be nice if the projector itself could remap the signal as well. Eventually all of this really needs to get to a point of ease of use where you just choose what kind of signal you want in a menu, and the device, be it the display or player, just does it for you. :)
Exactly! Why is nobody asking for projector manufacturers to actually handle HDR well/correctly? There is no reason we should have to rely on player manufacturers to convert HDR to an intermediate EOTF to get optimal results. In fact I'd argue it's the opposite, JVC should know it's capabilities and parameters, and be able to map ST2084 to that better than having a double conversion happen.

We know JVCs can produce a spectacular picture with HDR content, as proven by all the folks thrilled with SDR remapping. So come on JVC, get your act together and get us an update so we don't have to rely on Integrals or SDR remapping from external hardware. :cool:

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Thanks. I just ordered one of these from Amazon. How does it connect to the RS500 - through the Ethernet port?

I was in Best Buy tonight and they had a pair. I tried them on. They felt pretty light weight which was good. However they were a bit hard on my nose and also rather form-fitting to my head. Like it really grabs around you by the ears. Not too bad, but I found the Optoma glasses more comfortable. Are there any other high quality glasses to consider besides these?

I have the Seymour Center Stage XD screen. I'm pretty sure it does not retain polarization. However someone posted here recently (I think earlier today) that they have a non-polarized screen and when they compared the polarized to the non-polarized glasses the polarized ones were noticeably brighter. In your experience is that not the case?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Make sure to buy the JVC OEM or XPAND with horizontal polarity ( both made by XPAND btw) as they are the only ones that will give the brightest picture. Many have said that if your screen does not retain polarization then the regular XPAND X105-RF will work as will many other brands. Well, my screen does not retain any polarization however there is a noticeable difference using glasses with and without the horizontal polarization .

Bottom line, get the correct glasses and you will be sure not to loose any of that valuable brightness ( and color) , the little extra money is worth it for a expensive projector like this.
I will absolutely buy glasses with the correct polarization. Even if your screen does not retain 80-90% polarization, there is no physically possible way an equal % of reflected light off your screen is polarized either vertically or horizontally. So the correct orientation glasses will always be at least slightly brighter no matter what screen.

And thank you zombie, I have sent xpand an email, as I can't find the vertically polarized glasses available for sale anywhere.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Thanks zombie10k. Even with JVC glasses the brightness increases when I turn my head 90 degree . Same when wearing polarized sunglasses . Does it mean my screen retain polarization ? Thanks
I am also very interested in Zombie10k's response to this, as it runs counter to how I understood polarization and 3D glasses to work.

The JVC Projectors utilize horizontal polarization, and the JVC glasses are horizontally polarized, so theoretically, they would be brightest when in the normal, horizontal position. If you're saying that they actually get brighter when you rotate them to a vertical position, then something is 'rotten in Denmark' somehow...:confused::confused:

Reactions: Roudan

·
Premium Member
11,551 Posts
@audioguy - Is that what can lead to that, not having sufficient power? Or can this be caused by having too much power? I have 3000 watts per sub available to each of my HST-18 subs, which Nick from SI says can easily handle about 2000 watts. So the question I guess I'm asking is how do we make sure that we can safely blast our subs at reference?
It is the voice coils overheating. If you have a smoking issue on those subs, I don't want to be in the same state. As long as your amp is putting out clean power, you should not have any issues. I can't imagine the db level they would reach prior to getting that over heated. They can handle massive amounts of power (I use to have 4 of this subs) . I had over 2000 watts per sub when I had them.

Unless you are trying to reach 130db in a 7000 cf room, you should have no worries :D

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Yes. At 450 hours mine is still delivering 29fL at the screen. It was 30fL when new. I'm doubting my measurement technique! :) But my eyes tell me it's still plenty bright.
Agreed. When Chad was back out here in August he said he was surprised from ~250 to ~680 he measured no change (he even made a comment "guess I'll see you again around the 2K hour mark!). ;)

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
hi, are they definitely the JVC branded glasses?

regarding the inexpensive 105's vs the JVC's, I can only go by my experience with the 2.8HP screen which does not retain polarization. They basically look the same.

if in doubt, buy 1 of each to verify on your screen.

lovingdvd - you can bend the arms by hand and they will stay. This provides extra room behind the ears.

·
Registered
943 Posts
hi, are they definitely the JVC branded glasses?

regarding the inexpensive 105's vs the JVC's, I can only go by my experience with the 2.8HP screen which does not retain polarization. They basically look the same.

if in doubt, buy 1 of each to verify on your screen.

lovingdvd - you can bend the arms by hand and they will stay. This provides extra room behind the ears.

Thanks Jason.. Yes, they are definitely JVC glasses. I paid $100 each from dealer. It is PK-AG3. But anyway, I did purchased one pair of Xpand X105 as you suggested in the link and I am going to try it to see the difference with current JVC glasses. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Those of you who watch cable or satellite TV on your JVC and have a 2015/2016 Denon or Marantz AVR; do you send the native 720p and 1080i to the JVC? Or do you have the AVR upscale the signal to 1080p or even 4k?

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
I send everything to the JVC @ 1080p, except 4K content. The HDMI sync times are enormous so I try to minimize them.
The reason I asked was that ESPN seemed to be sending some commercials in 1080i vs the 720p Monday Night Football coverage. But perhaps those were commercials inserted by DirecTv. The RS500 had to resync on after each of these resolution changes.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
He doesn't do the West Coast!
I feel your pain.

He was out here at the start of the year and calibrated my RS500 when my usual calibrator was not available.

I would love to get him back after the Oppo player comes out and dial in things with it, but that may not be an option since he doesn't have any west coast tours planned for the rest of 2016.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Exactly! Why is nobody asking for projector manufacturers to actually handle HDR well/correctly? There is no reason we should have to rely on player manufacturers to convert HDR to an intermediate EOTF to get optimal results. In fact I'd argue it's the opposite, JVC should know it's capabilities and parameters, and be able to map ST2084 to that better than having a double conversion happen.

We know JVCs can produce a spectacular picture with HDR content, as proven by all the folks thrilled with SDR remapping. So come on JVC, get your act together and get us an update so we don't have to rely on Integrals or SDR remapping from external hardware. :cool:
Actually, I think EVERYONE is asking JVC to improve their software's handling of HDR signals -- getting Gamma D to reflect what works best with real content, rather than needing to move the slides to their extremes, for example, and enabling the dynamic iris to work at least on "fade to black", etc.

But so far JVC has simply posted some useful directions about how to configure the projector with the existing software/firmware, and a rec2020 profile, both of which are very welcome, but don't feel like the complete solution that the hardware is capable of.

One would hope that since they are not releasing another generation of projectors this year (i.e., that these models continue to be current for a second year) they can spare one or two developers to work on improving the software/firmware in them.

·
Registered
19,681 Posts
Those of you who watch cable or satellite TV on your JVC and have a 2015/2016 Denon or Marantz AVR; do you send the native 720p and 1080i to the JVC? Or do you have the AVR upscale the signal to 1080p or even 4k?
I use a Dish Hopper, and have it set to 1080i ( or p - whatever the choice was ). The picture quality depends on the channel and bandwidth. Prime time shows like " The Voice " or major sporting events look great. " The following is a paid program " on channel 500 - not so much - at least on a 123" diagonal screen. The Olympics looked excellent on the DVR.

My receiver is the Denon X7200WA.

15081 - 15100 of 33251 Posts