AVS Forum banner

15161 - 15180 of 33251 Posts

·
Registered
30,985 Posts
Thanks. How about when the iris adjusts just before the lens cover closes? Sounds a little rough to me but not sure if it's normal.
I have heard that judder like sound before also, but do not remember if it was on a regular basis.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Thanks. How about when the iris adjusts just before the lens cover closes? Sounds a little rough to me but not sure if it's normal.
The iris sound I hear after about half a minute of the lens opening, sounds about the same grinding kind of noise, but the intensity is low and barely audible dead at night (perhaps similar to what I heard from the recording, assuming that the microphone is located fairly close to the device).

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Yes my RS500 makes some VERY subtle motorized / whriling sounds as HDMI syncs sometimes. Not sure what it is but doesn't bother me. The lens cover is loud and sort of cheap sounding (compared to the sound my lens cover on the Sony VW95 used to make) but doesn't bother me since its just at the start/stop of the viewing session of course.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Thanks - those chroma comparisons were very interesting and informative. So do I understand correctly that the camera is capturing 4:4:4, but it is downsized to 4:2:0 when put on the disc. And then to play this back some device (either the display or the UHD player itself) must figure out how to take it from 4:2:0 back to 4:4:4 and that "upscaling" (if that's the proper term) is lossy? Why then don't they just put 4:4:4 on the UHD disc, and have players down-sample it for displays or connections that don't support it?

Speaking of which - is there currently any content on UHD discs that is encoded at 4:4:4? I understand that concerts may be available in this format. Perhaps Roger Water's The Wall? I assume this is not marked on the packaging, so how can we tell prior to purchasing something and actually seeing the output in the Info display?

All Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray titles are mastered in 4:2:0 to preserve space. Players typically output 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, I haven't seen one that actually outputs 4:2:0 yet. All displays eventually take whatever you feed them and convert it to RGB to drive the display, in this case the Red, Green and Blue LCOS panels. So color conversion is ALWAYS going to happen, and there are ways to evaluate which device does it the best or even properly. For the Panasonic UHD player there is no reason to do 4:4:4 instead of 4:2:2, you're only going to make things more difficult than they need to be for the HDMI cable side. 12 bit 4:2:2 is fine.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
reminder that Pacific Rim UHD is released soon on October 4th. Dolby ATMOS soundtrack on this disk as well

1 week delay on this from Amazon, I was hoping to be running my new ATMOS rig at reference level tonight.

instead I'll be hanging out with the butterflies.. check out the high reviews on this title. Starting with 3D. Also an ATMOS title as well.

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,060 Posts
Has anyone bought a Xbox One S and tried watching a UHD-BD on it? In HDR? If so, how well did it perform?

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Has anyone bought a Xbox One S and tried watching a UHD-BD on it? In HDR? If so, how well did it perform?
Unless something has changed since it was released, I don't think it supports Atmos. So that's a big consideration if you have an Atmos setup and plan to use it as their main UHD player.

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,060 Posts
Unless something has changed since it was released, I don't think it supports Atmos. So that's a big consideration if you have an Atmos setup and plan to use it as their main UHD player.
Not sure, but probably true since it's really a game system. Still, it does come with UHD support for a great price. I'm just curious how well it compares to they two players out there in the video department. I'm sure someone will get it if they don't have it already. Heck, I might, but was hoping to get a report first since I already have the Samsung and don't need another inferior player while I wait for the Oppo.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
no bitstream, no ATMOS.

A surprising # of people are not happy about it

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/2...by-atmos-audio-support-for-games-apps-and-dis
Not sure, but probably true since it's really a game system. Still, it does come with UHD support for a great price. I'm just curious how well it compares to they two players out there in the video department. I'm sure someone will get it if they don't have it already. Heck, I might, but was hoping to get a report first since I already have the Samsung and don't need another inferior player while I wait for the Oppo.
I preordered the Xbox One S, thinking I was getting a great deal with a "two-fer" - a great gaming console and UHD player for far less than the Panny player. It arrived but before I opened it I read that it didn't support Atmos. At that point it was completely useless to me and I quickly returned it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
1 week delay on this from Amazon, I was hoping to be running my new ATMOS rig at reference level tonight.

instead I'll be hanging out with the butterflies.. check out the high reviews on this title. Starting with 3D. Also an ATMOS title as well.

Please share your impression on both of them. I have both but has not watched it. Thx

15161 - 15180 of 33251 Posts