AVS Forum banner

15241 - 15260 of 33251 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
It's very hard thin plastic so not sure what you mean by "warming" but if you read out on the internets it's a widespread problem and after the 1st set cracked I've been very careful but still cracked another 2 (and fwiw I don't have an Abby-normal head,,, avg 7.25 hat size). Do you own these? ;)
I do have at least 4-pair of the X105's (probably 6), along with others I've been accumulating over the years (mostly the Panasonic ER3D4MU RFs (4+); and some older IR ones too). But I've never really used them, since I never had a display device that does 3D as well as JVC's current series of projectors reputedly does. My RS400 has been sitting in the box waiting patiently for me to get a room ready for it, for probably several months now. :eek:

So this was just me piping up with a potentially helpful comment, while not really knowing what the hell I was talking about. :D Normally I avoid risking that, but I felt I knew you well enough from your posts that you'd take it in a friendly way, even if it turned out I was FOS. Which you did. Thanks.

[I have taken hard plastic items in the past and warmed them with a hair-dryer, or soaked them in hot water, and then successfully was able to reshape them, without having them snap. After having snapped a couple when I first tried bending w/o pre-treating them. Hence the source of my "ingenious" suggestion. :(]

·
Premium Member
4,082 Posts
It's very hard thin plastic so not sure what you mean by "warming" but if you read out on the internets it's a widespread problem and after the 1st set cracked I've been very careful but still cracked another 2 (and fwiw I don't have an Abby-normal head,,, avg 7.25 hat size). Do you own these? ;)
I had two pairs that broke, they gave me the 104's as warranty. Don't like the 104s at all, I glued the old ones back together.

Reactions: krichter1

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Short of getting a Radiance Pro - is there any reasonably priced device I can add that will give me non-linear stretch for HD and 4K sources so that I can watch 16:9 content filling my 2.37 AR screen? I knew this going into it, but 16:9 content looks so small and its a shame to leave all that wasted screen space behind masking panels the majority of the time - even if the NLS isn't perfect... Thanks!
Here's what I've done so far - I zoomed in so that the 16:9 content fills the screen. However for sports it cuts off the score at the bottom - so I backed that off a bit so that the score fits on the bottom and saved this in a lens memory. Then I use the Masking to black out the over-spill on the ceiling and below the screen. Works great. Surprisingly most TV and movies made for 16:9 still frames pretty well zoomed to 2.37. The main downside are things like tickers or scores that cut off, but that's mostly addressable like I said above. The other downside is that I sit 1x screen widths away and zooming like this makes the content look a little fuzzy if not ultra clean HD, which TV doesn't quite seem to be (Comcast). IOW for sitting 12' away from a 12' wide screen it seems to me you really need pristine HD or 4K material. In this sense non-linear stretch may be better.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Here's what I've done so far - I zoomed in so that the 16:9 content fills the screen. However for sports it cuts off the score at the bottom - so I backed that off a bit so that the score fits on the bottom and saved this in a lens memory. Then I use the Masking to black out the over-spill on the ceiling and below the screen. Works great. Surprisingly most TV and movies made for 16:9 still frames pretty well zoomed to 2.37. The main downside are things like tickers or scores that cut off, but that's mostly addressable like I said above. The other downside is that I sit 1x screen widths away and zooming like this makes the content look a little fuzzy if not ultra clean HD, which TV doesn't quite seem to be (Comcast). IOW for sitting 12' away from a 12' wide screen it seems to me you really need pristine HD or 4K material. In this sense non-linear stretch may be better.
I had the same problem when I had a 2.37 screen and used an anamorphic lens on 16.9 content to overcome it as well as I could.
You can use lens memory and adjust the zoom as you are doing already to get the best fit for your situation.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
I had the same problem when I had a 2.37 screen and used an anamorphic lens on 16.9 content to overcome it as well as I could.
You can use lens memory and adjust the zoom as you are doing already to get the best fit for your situation.
Thanks. Ideally I'd like to get non linear stretch going so I don't have issues with things like the bottom tickers and scores getting cut off. But not getting a Radiance just for that...

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Convergence Correction

I'm wondering what owners are experiencing with convergence/software pixel correction. Are you finding that using even two or three clicks in 1/16 pixel increments for red or blue is 1) impairing the appearance of color saturation or 2) causing blurriness in motion?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hope I can get a little info. Just got my rs500u a few days ago, been getting acclimated with it and just love it . This is one nice projector, haven't read all the post yet,I'm hoping for a short cut to the learning curve . How do I get rec 709,2020 and HDR on this beauty? Thanks
Here is a picture of my rs500u and panny ae8000(only has 750hrs on it/ original bulb), stacked behind the Jvc .
I asked this on the calibration thread but no one replied. So I'll try it here.
PeterV

Attachments

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Hope I can get a little info. Just got my rs500u a few days ago, been getting acclimated with it and just love it . This is one nice projector, haven't read all the post yet,I'm hoping for a short cut to the learning curve . How do I get rec 709,2020 and HDR on this beauty? Thanks
Here is a picture of my rs500u and panny ae8000(only has 750hrs on it/ original bulb), stacked behind the Jvc .
I asked this on the calibration thread but no one replied. So I'll try it here.
PeterV

Hi. The answer is the content. If the content is graded for Rec 709, your JVC will show it as that. Seeing that your PJ is new, I'll assume it's a recent build with the BT2020 color profile pre-loaded. So, if your content is, say, a UHD disc, your PJ will default to gamma D and will show HDR automatically; and then you choose your color profile as BT2020.

Now, I have a question for you...I'm just curious...why you opted for a dual PJ set up? The RS500 does it all.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
...Seeing that your PJ is new, I'll assume it's a recent build with the BT2020 color profile pre-loaded...
Not necessarily. I think my unit was relatively new (I got it from AVS last one in stock a couple weeks ago so how long could they have had it sitting around...) and it had the latest firmware on it but no BT2020. It was fairly easy to add tho.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hi. The answer is the content. If the content is graded for Rec 709, your JVC will show it as that. Seeing that your PJ is new, I'll assume it's a recent build with the BT2020 color profile pre-loaded. So, if your content is, say, a UHD disc, your PJ will default to gamma D and will show HDR automatically; and then you choose your color profile as BT2020.

Now, I have a question for you...I'm just curious...why you opted for a dual PJ set up? The RS500 does it all.
I'm strictly a movie person,at least for the most part. No gaming etc.,
the dual setup is basically because I have the projector already,and nothing else to do with it right now. In fact I have another projector in my workout room. To many left over toys, your right the rs500u has it all, and thank you for replying,are you in Rochester ny;) kidding. There is a lot to learn with this projector and I need to figure things out. No,my setup is not a new build. I've yet to see any settings for 709,2020 or HDR,I'm using the Samsung 8500 which is from my den until the oppo comes out, soon I hope. Yes,I'm not getting something I admit ignorance.:) so that's why I'm here.
HELP!

Thanks
PeterV

·
Registered
881 Posts
Not necessarily. I think my unit was relatively new (I got it from AVS last one in stock a couple weeks ago so how long could they have had it sitting around...) and it had the latest firmware on it but no BT2020. It was fairly easy to add tho.
My unit has the latest firmware also! Your onto something,I have the cables needed,just never did this type of download before and fear screwing something up. Here are the cables I got.
Tripp Lite Null Modem Serial RS232 Cable (DB9 F/F) 6-ft. (P450-006)+
Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS High-Speed USB Serial Adapter, PC, MAC, supports Cisco Break Sequence

Thanks
PeterV

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
My unit has the latest firmware also! Your onto something,I have the cables needed,just never did this type of download before and fear screwing something up. Here are the cables I got.
Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS High-Speed USB Serial Adapter, PC, MAC, supports Cisco Break Sequence

Thanks
PeterV
Did you check to see if you have the BT2020 installed already?

The cables and procedure for updating the firmware is completely different than the cables and procedure for importing profiles and running the auto cal. See the auto cal thread.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just in case you weren't aware, you can do everything over your network if you connect an Ethernet cable.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
To many left over toys, your right the rs500u has it all, and thank you for replying,are you in Rochester

Thanks
PeterV
No problem; I'd like visit your set up if I happen to be in the area. Your theater room is nicely done!

Now, as Lovingdvd pointed out, we have to see if I have the wrong assumption: do you in fact have the BT2020 color profile pre-loaded, i.e., show up in your menu? If not, the first step would be to go to the JVC website and follow its instructions for downloading the BT2020 profile. Also, follow JVC's recommendations for settings in your K8500 when playing UHD discs as the picture otherwise will appear too dark with UHD disc content through that player.

Once you've downloaded the color profile, simply select it in the color menu options and play a UHD disc in your Sammy. Then check your gamma settings to confirm that you're in gamma D and then check your info page to make sure it's showing 10 bit, HDR "Yes." I have the X750 and that's how it goes with mine; yours is no different in that regard.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I do have at least 4-pair of the X105's (probably 6), along with others I've been accumulating over the years (mostly the Panasonic ER3D4MU RFs (4+); and some older IR ones too). But I've never really used them, since I never had a display device that does 3D as well as JVC's current series of projectors reputedly does. My RS400 has been sitting in the box waiting patiently for me to get a room ready for it, for probably several months now. :eek:

So this was just me piping up with a potentially helpful comment, while not really knowing what the hell I was talking about. :D Normally I avoid risking that, but I felt I knew you well enough from your posts that you'd take it in a friendly way, even if it turned out I was FOS. Which you did. Thanks.

[I have taken hard plastic items in the past and warmed them with a hair-dryer, or soaked them in hot water, and then successfully was able to reshape them, without having them snap. After having snapped a couple when I first tried bending w/o pre-treating them. Hence the source of my "ingenious" suggestion. :(]
No worries… always looking for helpful hints. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not sure if you know this, but BT2020 which you have to manually select is actually buried pretty deep in the USER presets only.

If you are using Standard Picture mode you are never going to see BT2020 listed as a colour profile that you can select.

What you need to do is be using one of the User presets, select one you wish to permanently use for UHD HDR and set it up accordingly. When in a User preset you should see the BT2020 profile listed as a colour profile if it has been pre-installed on your unit. You will also see a bunch of other profiles you couldn't see before.

You can also set Gamma D there and set custom iris positions etc and then when you are watching UHD content. When Gamma D is in use make sure your Gamma D Settings read 12/4/5 for Picture Tone / Dark Level / Bright Level. And also set your JVC contrast to something like 14. You should then be in the ballpark correctly clipping about 1000-1200 nits. If you dont do this the picture may seem dim. You may also need to set your brightness to at least 2 and possibly higher to 4 or 5, but those higher levels will lift your black floor.

Then just change your projectors Picture mode to the new User preset you created each time you view UHD HDR content and all your settings will be in tact. You can also name the User preset if you wish to something like UHD HDR.
Thanks for the comprehensive instruction! I'm a recent convert from Epson 5040UB to JVC RS500, and couldn't be happier about the switch. However, when viewing HDR videos, even with your above suggested setting, I still feels like black level is crushed, and details are lost for objects in shadows. Does anyone else feel the same way?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Guys I got the JVC BT2020 profile imported and watched my first 4K HDR movie last night (in HDR, now WCG+SDR). It was Lucy. I was saving this movie for this very occassion as I had never seen it. Wow is all I can say. To say it was sensational is an understatment. Between the highlights of the HDR and the WCG and the Atmos track it was just insane on every level. Pure eye and ear candy. I haven't run the autocal yet (plan on getting to that today) but did calibrate 100% and 20% to D65 with gains and offsets.

One thing that surprised me a bit is that I had read so much here about people not liking HDR on the JVC and using the Integral to get WCG+SDR. Having experienced Lucy last night in HDR I don't see what the objection is. It was plenty bright, the blacks still looked plenty black to me (remember I spent the past 3 years with a Sony VW95 which has poor native on/off compared to the JVC so maybe I'm just used to much worse he he). I had the lamp on High with iris at -3, and had the picture zoomed to fill my 2.37 AR 140" wide 0.95 gain Center Stage XD screen. I had prepurchased a Integral and have it sitting here unopened expecting not to like HDR and now I wonder if I'll even need it.

Edit: Also I meant to add that for my gamma D menu I used +12 on tone, and +5 on bright and dark. These were blindly set just based on roughly Manni's and JVCs general recommendation.
FWIW - I'm an HDR fanboy at this point Ric and don't use the Integral at all any more but I believe there are two factors for that… 1) I own the Samsung (not the Panny), where we found the Samsung doesn't tone map the forced SDR properly so the colors are a bit dull (so'z the lumens output at times... to my eyes anyhow), and… 2) my HDR was recalibrated by ChadB using the updated HDR installer disc and to my eyes looks excellent (very natural, acceptable blacks and a reserve of light output when needed… really punches your iris' when called for).

Had Tom over last night (after we went to the Cubbie 'W' playoff game of course! :D ), and my take away was he was pretty impressed with what ChadB redid from Tom's last visit in March (for as much as X-Men Apocalypse gets mixed reviews we thought the HDR was excellent and the soundtrack was of Ref quality in Atmos!). ;)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
not yet, i can't bring myself to put the disk in the player I thought the trailer was that bad. guide me to a good part to jump right to.... :)

I did watch the last 30 minutes of Transformers Age of Extinction 3D. I never saw this movie, only a demo on my ATMOS Demo disk. Started @ 2:20 with the Dinobots and it's just insane destruction for the next 30 mins. house was shaking, great LFE and ATMOS demo.

:confused: WELL?? :confused:

:)

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
As posted previously in the 4K HDR titles thread, Best Buy has a Buy One Get One @ Half Price sale going on now. Pre-orders are included.

Add a lower priced UHD title to your cart first, and then get half price on a higher priced title to get the best deal. Only one combo per order gets the discount.

Reactions: krichter1 and GGA
15241 - 15260 of 33251 Posts