AVS Forum banner

15461 - 15480 of 33256 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My JVC RS500 and the Panasonic Intergral is working just fine.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I am going straight from the player to the 4k and then to the projector. Do you have it hooked up that way?
Ok. Make sure you turn on the player first then the PJ. Then press play on the remote to start a 4K UHD disc movie. You should then get a picture. When you do, go into the menu and run the resolutions tests to see where you get a picture. Getting 4:4:4 with deep color on will give you the best quality, but if your cables are giving fits, try deep color off for now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ok. Make sure you turn on the player first then the PJ. Then press play on the remote to start a 4K UHD disc movie. You should then get a picture. When you do, go into the menu and run the resolutions tests to see where you get a picture. Getting 4:4:4 with deep color on will give you the best quality, but if your cables are giving fits, try deep color off for now.
I do have the latest firmware. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try this.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I'd have a Panasonic already if there wasn't an Oppo on the way. And there I'm really just playing wait and see since Oppo has such a good reputation and it's $100-200 cheaper (depending on the sales on the Panasonic).

That said, I need to spend some quality time with HDR now that I've dialed in my settings a bit better. I've got a relatively small screen by this forum's standards, only 110" wide scope, but that means that I can still hit >30fL at -10 Aperture. :cool: Which means I get great JVC contrast, and still have good headroom for HDR highlights, so I've now got to sit down and enjoy some movies in HDR and see how it works, it may tame my enthusiasm for a new BD player.

I know when I was looking at Batman vs Superman, the orbital debris in the menu/opening scene is noticeably brighter in HDR than SDR
God D** man… what kinda screen material you got to get 30fL @ -10!? :eek: I have 110" as well but mine's a Seymour AT and only get 19fL w/ the [high] lamp wide open. :confused:

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Has anyone successfully got a 4k Integral working with a Panasonic dmp-ub900 player and a JVC RS600 projector? I can't even get a signal to the projector thru the 4k from the player. I'm getting no help from HDFury. They won't respond to my emails. Just wondering if someone else got this working? Thanks
Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having. As others have said, many of us have it working nicely, myself included. Make sure you are using good quality 4K cables or fiber HDMI. Also some setups require that you put the Integral after the receiver/preprocessor output. Like in my case I go from the 8802a HDMI output into the top port on the Integral and out of the top port to the projector.

To get support go to the HD Fury thread here on AVS. The company answers questions there, seemingly once a day - they go through and respond to questions left there. I know I have heard from them quickly each time to answer some general questions I have. I have been very happy with it. They must be selling well too because they are back ordered until November.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Interesting, as flipping back and forth using the Star Trek Blu Ray and UHD BR, it looks anything but under saturated / dull. Colors look better than the BR, and easily as vibrant. Same with The Revnant, where HDR doesn't bring anything except elevated black levels IMO.

I too am waiting to see what Oppo brings to the party before replacing the Samsung though. I've watched all my 4K movies ( which were double dips ), and I'm not in the mood to double dip more titles until they go on sale. The next 4K disc I plan to buy of a movie I haven't seen yet is the upcoming new Star trek movie. I've got plenty of Blu rays and HDTV to watch in the mean time.
Wow that's interesting Craig and to my knowledge you're the only one to report a positive outcome with SDR tone mapping on the Samsung. I can't think of why yours would be different but I guess a good starting point would be for you share your settings on the JVC (nothing you can customize on the Samsung other than the User pic setting, which you're not using are you [the +7/+3 bump]?). The Integral is straight forward at either opt 8 or 10, so maybe if you share your JVC settings thet might help explain this (or not). :confused:

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I did and they told me to go directly to HD Fury. I have sent 2 emails to them with no response. Wish there was a phone number to call. The only one I see is in China.
Try doing a full reset on the Integral (mine didn't work at first either and showed the top port I was plugged ion as inactive and the other as active). Once I reset… Viola! ;)

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
:eek:

You've got my attention with your ginormous 14ft screen and low Ypeak levels. Someone else (?) had a similar question, but I could not find the post. If the other suggestions fall flat, give the following a try. You'll have to tweak CR and your clip pts based on 4K movie content for the reasons below. :)
EDIT: I just saw you have the UB900 now. So if HDR does not work out then SDR is your option. :)

1. HDR for projectors: So, let's start by discussing what HDR does for projectors. Dolby Vision put out some bar charts describing benefits of HDR. Look at the bottom bar chart and all the way to the right per the link in this paragraph. It shows at PQ500, brighter highlights for HDR (White Range 250 to 1000nits). If one extrapolates that for 100nits, there is still some HDR benefit left for projectors at Ypeak 100nits ... maybe for 50 nits with some tweaking. :confused: I call these Specular Highlights, even thought they technically are not ... because of the projector's lower brightness levels ... but, it makes projector owners, like moi, feel included in HDR discussions and specular highlights do exist in blu ray movies via reflections off of water, glass, shiny cars and metals. :D See: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...-hdr-calibration-discussion.html#post39828570 . So, the point is one would like to be a minimum of 100 nit Ypeak ... but, that does not work for you because your Ypeak is around half of that: 48 nits due to your large 14ft wide screen. There may still be HDR benefit for large screens like yours ... possibly ... with some tweaking.

2. Measuring HDR's Ypeak: It's possible your 48nit reading is actually higher than what you've stated. My RS600 Ypeak=108nits and the PR670 read 119nits off of the brightest "specular color" point on the screen while watching Warcraft. This still puzzles me. This is a 10% difference, so your Ypeak reading could be higher ... and due to your ginormous 14ft screen, significantly (+10%) higher. That means you'll have to tweak it with actual 4K HDR movie content. :eek:

3. Workflow and What to Look For In 4K HDR Movies: For large screens, keep raising your contrast until you've start to clip in 2 different scenes. First Scene Exposure: HDR permits a wider exposure level so the projector screen can show both indoor and outdoor action (combined in/outdoor exposure levels) at the same time with no clipping ... this cannot be done without "faking it" in SDR ... this is unique to HDR. Get a copy of 4K Gods of Egypt and look at 00:07:48 (hr:min:sec). See: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...000-x7000-owners-thread-427.html#post45788881 . There, you'll want to see the indoor scene with blue skies and white clouds in the background. Second Scene Seering Bright: Pick a scene with the brightest "Specular Colors" and raise the brightness (via CR) until these colors start to clip. Specular colors will clip before non-specular colors. See 4 below. One could pick up a copy of Warcraft and look any of the scenes I've described as "Specular" ... having a brightness rating over 55 nits. This is the only way you'll know for sure what you are looking at is actually Specular colors ... but, I guess if one raises the CR enough stuff will start to clip and, assuming there is specular colors in the scene, then those brightest specular colors will clip first. So maybe your 4K Mt Everest movie is OK. Warcraft: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...000-x7000-owners-thread-499.html#post47157617

4. What's going on with HDR's Absolute Brightness Levels (nits). For 10bits, the luminance levels are 64 to 940 for video. To simply explain it, all the "SDR" (non-specular) content is located between brightness levels 64 - 509 of an HDR brightness range. Patch/level 509 is the 50% point btwn blk and specular white (Ypeak=patch 940), give or take. 509 is Yfull_rng/diffuse white ... so basically, the white one knew at 235 8bit is now 509 in HDR 10bit ... but it will look slightly darker if one deliberately tries to compare 10bit 509 with 8bit 235. They did this so Ymax/full_rng/diffuse white no longer clips like it use to in 8 bit 235 and to add additional brighter specular colors and to widen the exposure levels over SDR. 8 bit 235 use to clip there because white ended there ... with no more content and no room to grow (yep, I know about THX). With HDR, the "specular content" grows beyond 509 through 940. So, in your case, you've got Ypeak=48nits. Ymax/full_rng/diffuse_wht = 24nits. Specular highlight content is from 25-48nits. "SDR" (non specular) content is from 0 to 24 nits. Hence, why HDR uses absolute values rather than relative values (%) used in SDR (e.g. rec709).

5. Last Ditch Effort Increase CR at the Expense of Clipping and Losing Specular Highlights: EDIT: I had to rewrite to better explain how to make HDR (still using Gamma D) content look better through a "limited sacrifice" of "Specular Hightlights" to brighten the content at and below level 509. Why? Ypeak and Yfull-rng/diffuse_wht are dependent upon each other. As one increases Ypeak, the Yfull_rng/diffuse wht increases. If Ypeak is not high enough to begin with (48nits), then the content at and below level 509 will look dim ... so it's not worth trying to make specular highlights look better any more. So keep raising CR and sacrifice a small amount of specular highlights to get the content at and below level 509 to look bright enough. If too much of the specular content is clipped, and the picture looks tortured :eek: , then at that point one is forced into 4K WCG SDR mode. With the UB900, this will be a good alternative. This technique would work better on 4K movies like the Revenant with no CGI because there is no really high specular content so the limited clipping comes for free ... not so much with CGI based movies like Batman vs Superman that use krichter1 eye searing, retina eviscerating specular bombastic highlights. :D Good Luck! :D
Thanks Carbon! I appreciate you taking the time to write that up. Tho I must admit, I really am not following all those technical details. :eek: . Also just to clarify - I have a 140" wide 2.37 AT screen with 0.95 gain, not 14'. Not sure where you got 14' from unless you misread 140" as 14'. :) I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I cannot clip at 10x nits (500) because that means Contrast +23 which makes everything look overexposed, particularly outdoor scenes. So I'm clipping now at around 1000 and don't see much benefit from HDR, likely due to my large-ish screen, except for particular scenes - which may be too far and few between to make it worth it (running in HDR looks less sharp and detailed to me). I guess this is where the extra brightness from things such as the JVC laser can really come in handy.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Wow that's interesting Craig and to my knowledge you're the only one to report a positive outcome with SDR tone mapping on the Samsung. I can't think of why yours would be different but I guess a good starting point would be for you share your settings on the JVC (nothing you can customize on the Samsung other than the User pic setting, which you're not using are you [the +7/+3 bump]?). The Integral is straight forward at either opt 8 or 10, so maybe if you share your JVC settings thet might help explain this (or not). :confused:
He did post them a couple weeks ago. I asked what he was using for sdr on the Sammy integral combo because I thought it was dim an lifeless.

His settings , and I realize this is for his screen /room.

BT.2020
Gamma 2.4
Picture tone 6
Dark level 4
Contrast 5
Brightness 7
Aperture -7

In Sammy Brightness and contrast +1

ST130 128" Diagonal 2.35 screen

I messed with the settings and found them to be pretty good except I did not bump any contrast on either the JVC or Samsung.

Reactions: krichter1

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
Yesterday, you could have purchased all 5 upcoming Jason Bourne UHD discs for $45 at bestbuy.com. (With the 50% discount after first adding another UHD disc to the cart.) But the set sold so quickly it was completely sold out by the time I tried to order.
The 5 disc Jason Bourne UHD collection is available again for preorder.

I made a preorder for Star Trek Beyond at its regular price and then added the Jason Bourne set for half price @ $45.

Jason Bourne - 5 Movie Collection [4K Ultra HD] [Blu-ray] [Digital Copy] [Only @ Best Buy]

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
God D** man… what kinda screen material you got to get 30fL @ -10!? :eek: I have 110" as well but mine's a Seymour AT and only get 19fL w/ the [high] lamp wide open. :confused:
It's SMX. How are you measuring? I used my BX1330 light meter pointed at the the projector. Get about 30fc at -10 high lamp, and about 16-17fc low lamp/-13.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The 5 disc Jason Bourne UHD collection is available again for preorder.

I made a preorder for Star Trek Beyond at its regular price and then added the Jason Bourne set for half price @ $45.

Jason Bourne - 5 Movie Collection [4K Ultra HD] [Blu-ray] [Digital Copy] [Only @ Best Buy]
I just placed my order as well. I wasn't sure if I was going to get all 5 Bourne movies but, for that price I'm doing it. Do you think we'll still get the steel book of the new Bourne movie? Are these individuals or sold in a set ?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
He did post them a couple weeks ago. I asked what he was using for sdr on the Sammy integral combo because I thought it was dim an lifeless.

His settings , and I realize this is for his screen /room.

BT.2020
Gamma 2.4
Picture tone 6
Dark level 4
Contrast 5
Brightness 7
Aperture -7

In Sammy Brightness and contrast +1

ST130 128" Diagonal 2.35 screen

I messed with the settings and found them to be pretty good except I did not bump any contrast on either the JVC or Samsung.
Thanks Tom but I just can't seem to wrap my head around making any sense of this config on a 128" screen… a PicTone=6 and his iris clamped to -7?? Maybe I need to play around a little more with my gamma settings as well (I didn't do that for SDR).

;)

·
Premium Member
4,605 Posts
I just placed my order as well. I wasn't sure if I was going to get all 5 Bourne movies but, for that price I'm doing it. Do you think we'll still get the steel book of the new Bourne movie? Are these individuals or sold in a set ?
This is an Best Buy exclusive set. You can also buy the individual discs at $29.99 each. So this is a great deal for the complete set of 5. (As long as these aren't dumbed down versions.)

Best Buy has both the Steelbox and regular packaged editions of Jason Bourne, so I very much doubt we will get the Steelbox. It too is a Best Buy exclusive.

Reactions: Tom Bley

·
Registered
5,197 Posts

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
It's SMX. How are you measuring? I used my BX1330 light meter pointed at the the projector. Get about 30fc at -10 high lamp, and about 16-17fc low lamp/-13.
My results were measured by Chad so I'm not sure how an AT screen (I think yours is .93 spec'd?), could reach that level (at that size), but if it's correct those are great results for you! ;)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
GOT it thanks Claw (I had to go for Great Gatsby since I've already ordered pretty much everything else… just ask Tom he understands my "illness" (per wife) :eek: )!

:D
Your sick! Get some help already, damn! :D

Reactions: krichter1
15461 - 15480 of 33256 Posts