AVS Forum banner

16061 - 16080 of 33251 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Not sure if it is a JVC problem, haven't ruled out the hdmi cables and HDFury settings. Will let you know if I have information. (Added info. in previous post)

Are you using the bottom input on the Fury? I know that's one of the solutions Integral suggests when there's issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I am well aware that the HDR issue is PJ independent. I am an audio tweaker and have spent way more time (and money) messing around trying to get the very best possible sound I can given my room and equipment. Video, on the other hand, is not my strong suit (to say the least), so given that, I just want to turn on the PJ and watch whatever I am going to watch. I have zero interest in changing player and/or projector setting to watch a movie. So it appears that I can use my HD Fury and set it and forget it and be way more than happy. I have no real complaints on my Sony 600ES's upscaled 1080P picture nor 4K/non-UHD material I have seen.
your room looks great, the sound must be remarkable to experience in person. I'm working on setting up a pair of 18"s now and likely going for 4.

the UB900 + HDfury will provide that today for UHD/SDR/BT2020 set / forget. Did you buy the JVC already or waiting to sell the 600?

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Originally Posted by krichter1
So based on what I'm reading (and considering I already own the POS Roku4), does anyone have a compelling reason for me not to return my Roku Ultra? Especially after some of the comment Ric made (makes me feel like the "upgrade" to my Roku4 isn't really worth it).
BUMPING this for some feedback please...
I did not purchase the Ultra.
I am just glad I didn't jump the gun and purchase it out of the gate like I did the 4. I returned the 4 within the 30 day period. Based upon the posts in the Ultra thread I would have returned the Ultra already too if I had purchased it and experienced those same issues.

People talk about the Samsung player being rushed out before it was ready. The Samsung issues were nothing compared to the issues Roku has with both the 4 and the Ultra.

·
Premium Member
11,551 Posts
your room looks great, the sound must be remarkable to experience in person. I'm working on setting up a pair of 18"s now and likely going for 4.

the UB900 + HDfury will provide that today for UHD/SDR/BT2020 set / forget. Did you buy the JVC already or waiting to sell the 600?
The JVC is in the box and has not been opened. If I can't sell the Sony for something reasonable, I will sell the brand new JVC RS500 :( ---- in which case I won't have to worry about HDR, etc?

Thanks for the comments on my room. Are you looking at Seaton F18's or somethings else?

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
I believe the unrecoverable loss of sync in the JVC is an issue with the JVC projectors. I would think that once sync was lost the JVC could at least recover after switching to another input device. But the only way to recover seems to be to restart the JVC. (I never tried disconnecting the HDMI cable and waiting for a period of time before reconnecting as was suggested by Craig I think it was.)

I no longer have the issue once I connected all input devices (including the Integral) through my Denon 4200 and then straight to the JVC. Perhaps the AVR is able to produce a more gradual resolution/frame rate signal change that is easier for the JVC to sync to than what the individual components or the Integral do.

As mentioned earlier I was able to cause this same unrecoverable sync loss with a Directv C61K connected directly to the RS500 without an Integral in the path. It would occur when switching between 4K60 and 1080i channels. I was to the point where I was going to ask Directv for a new box. But once I connected the C61K to the Denon 4200 I no longer have any sync loss changing channels.

I would also get the sync loss occasionally when switching between YouTube 4K60 and 1080p videos played from the Samsung player App, with and without the Integral when going straight to the RS500. Once I routed the Samsung player to Integral to Denon to RS500 I no longer have any sync loss either.

I realize that those of you with the Panasonic player can't try this and connect the Integral between the player and Denon/Marantz AVRs because of the issue that HDFury is aware of.

Reactions: krichter1

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Yes, made sure I was using bottom input and top output on Fury. Looks like Claw has isolated the issue to JVC.
Or it could be an issue with the source devices and/or the Integral. In my case, my AVR seems to be able to overcome issues with source signal resolution changes before sending it to the JVC.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Thanks Aztar35! I want to make sure I understand this correctly so I can try it. Currently I have "EDID Settings" as "Custom" and then switch between 8 (HDR) and #10 (strip HDR). What you are saying is that an alternative to try is as follows:

1. In the EDID Automix section, set Full Sound (same HDMI I use for audio), Allow YCbCr, and BT2020 to ON, and all others off.
2. In the "EDID Settings" section, change it from Custom to "Auto Mix Mode".
3. When I want HDR, just go into the EDID Automix section and toggle HDR to ON. That's it. Likewise when I want to go back to SDR+WCG just toggle the HDR back to ff.

Is the above correct?
No problem. Just slide the switch on the box to auto.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Thanks - and yes the video you provided is exactly what is happening on my setup, and I lose video on all sources. I am going back and rereading the integral manual as well as the HDFury thread and I will try these automix settings.

Added - Happened three or four times, one source was the Nvidia Shield. I was just looking around on the main menu, not watching a movie. My setup is Panasonic UB900, Dish and Nvidia sources => Marantz 7702 II => HDFury => Hdmi 1 on JVC. I am using Securomax 6 ft. ultra high speed HDMI cables on my short runs and a Cabernet CL2 cable, 25 ft., for the long run. I don't have the Roger Waters blurray at this time, might get a copy since it is one I would enjoy. Also, the HDFury site has a set of four HDMI cables, and site stated each one individually checked, guaranteed to work in any setup at 600MHz. A little pricey, but if they work, worth it.
I believe the unrecoverable loss of sync in the JVC is an issue with the JVC projectors. I would think that once sync was lost the JVC could at least recover after switching to another input device. But the only way to recover seems to be to restart the JVC. (I never tried disconnecting the HDMI cable and waiting for a period of time before reconnecting as was suggested by Craig I think it was.)

I no longer have the issue once I connected all input devices (including the Integral) through my Denon 4200 and then straight to the JVC. Perhaps the AVR is able to produce a more gradual resolution/frame rate signal change that is easier for the JVC to sync to than what the individual components or the Integral do.

As mentioned earlier I was able to cause this same unrecoverable sync loss with a Directv C61K connected directly to the RS500 without an Integral in the path. It would occur when switching between 4K60 and 1080i channels. I was to the point where I was going to ask Directv for a new box. But once I connected the C61K to the Denon 4200 I no longer have any sync loss changing channels.

I would also get the sync loss occasionally when switching between YouTube 4K60 and 1080p videos played from the Samsung player App, with and without the Integral when going straight to the RS500. Once I routed the Samsung player to Integral to Denon to RS500 I no longer have any sync loss either.

I realize that those of you with the Panasonic player can't try this and connect the Integral between the player and Denon/Marantz AVRs because of the issue that HDFury is aware of.
Yes, made sure I was using bottom input and top output on Fury. Looks like Claw has isolated the issue to JVC.
Yes so we can conclude that it is an issue with the JVC getting itself into a funk where it cannot recover from the HDMI lockup. Especially knowing this happens without the Integral involved like what Claw describes above. Now it may be that some things like the Intergral and instigate and or trigger the issue, but nonetheless the JVC firmware should be updated so that it can gracefully recover from this, if not avoid it entirely in the first place. @@Mike Garrett;

Let's see what JVC has to say about the issue. If they have enough information and agree to fix it then that is all I think we need right now. Otherwise I will break this discussion out into its own thread where others can contribute and be aware of the issue and what may cause it and so it gets the attention it then deserves. At first I thought I was the only one, but now that that others are coming forward to report the same thing we know there's a fix needed. Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts

I hope the Oppo doesn't have the same issue (I have the Integral between the K8500 & Denon 7200WA as well). Any word on a Fury fix forthcoming (in case I go w/ the Panny instead)?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Y At first I thought I was the only one, but now that that others are coming forward to report the same thing we know there's a fix needed. Thank you everyone.

I'm not sure it's all the same thing. Some have reported drop outs and then there's the lines appearing issue.

I'm just curious, is your input setting in the PJ set at 4:4:4, 4:2:2, or auto? I remember I had a drop out issue with my Oppo 103D as the source to the PJ once. I unplugged the Oppo and PJ all while off, of course, and released any stored voltage. Then I plugged in the player first and then the PJ. Turned the PJ on then the player and viola!

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
BUMPING this for some feedback please...
For $129 its worth keeping because its the only way I have to watch Vudu. Plus it is giving me great output for Netflix and Amazon Video tho that's not to say that UB900 would not do the same. When I did a quick A/B between Amazon video with a 4K show comparing the UB900 to the Ultra I couldn't see any difference tho. When Google's device comes out I may sell the Ultra and get that if it supports 4k/24hz for Netflix and Amazon etc. Tho I haven't really noticed ANY issues with 4k60 so I am not exactly sure why everyone makes a big deal out of no 24hz support...? I mean I'm sure there is a reason but I haven't seen the need for it just yet.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
I hope the Oppo doesn't have the same issue (I have the Integral between the K8500 & Denon 7200WA as well). Any word on a Fury fix forthcoming (in case I go w/ the Panny instead)?
They can reproduce the issue with the Pannasonic but a finding a solution is more difficult than they at first believed.

Reactions: krichter1

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Well we will find out today whether its likely the Integral in the chain that causes the HDMI lockup...

The odd thing is that there must be at least a hundred JVC owners that use the Integral to do exactly what I am doing, so I wonder what is unique in my case to cause the lockup whereas they do not get the lockup. Maybe very few people are doing YCbCr at 4:4:4 12 bit and that's a factor? Who knows...
I bet Claw is on to something with the receiver in the chain. How is your chain setup Ric (i.e. - what devices make up the chain having the issue)?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I'm not sure it's all the same thing. Some have reported drop outs and then there's the lines appearing issue.

I'm just curious, is your input setting in the PJ set at 4:4:4, 4:2:2, or auto? I remember I had a drop out issue with my Oppo 103D as the source to the PJ once. I unplugged the Oppo and PJ all while off, of course, and released any stored voltage. Then I plugged in the player first and then the PJ. Turned the PJ on then the player and viola!
The majority of "dropout" convo's have been cable related (and those with D&M receivers seemingly acting as a 5 volt repeater/booster).

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
- I took note of the Panasonic and JVC Info screens, as included below. UB900 was outputting 4K/24 SDR/BT.709 YCbCr4:4:4/12 bit. JVC says it was receiving 4K(3840)24, 12 bit YUV.

- The UB900 is connected to the 8802a using a 6 foot 4K certified Fusion4K cable.

- The 8802a is connected to an HD Fury Integral, set to EDIT custom #10 ("4k60-420 12-bit BT.2020 FS") - this is the setting that strips HDR - over a 6 foot Fusion4K HDMI cable.

- And the Integral is connected to the RS500 over a 50' Celerity Fiber HDMI cable.
If you have the Panasonic player Color Mode set to 4:4:4 I would change it to either Auto or 4:2:2.

If you have the Panasonic player 4K60 output set to 4:4:4 I would change it to 4:2:0.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
For $129 its worth keeping because its the only way I have to watch Vudu. Plus it is giving me great output for Netflix and Amazon Video tho that's not to say that UB900 would not do the same. When I did a quick A/B between Amazon video with a 4K show comparing the UB900 to the Ultra I couldn't see any difference tho. When Google's device comes out I may sell the Ultra and get that if it supports 4k/24hz for Netflix and Amazon etc. Tho I haven't really noticed ANY issues with 4k60 so I am not exactly sure why everyone makes a big deal out of no 24hz support...? I mean I'm sure there is a reason but I haven't seen the need for it just yet.
OH wait... so you decided to keep your Ultra as your last post indicated your were almost at your 30 day window and decided to send it back. So at this point your opinion is it's worth keeping for $80 (what it cost me total after the discount)? :confused:

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
I bet Claw is on to something with the receiver in the chain. How is your chain setup Ric (i.e. - what devices make up the chain having the issue)?
UB900->4K certified 6' cable -> 8802a Blu-ray Input.
8802a -> 4k certified 6' cable -> Integral HDCP 2.2 input
Interal HDCP 2.2 output -> Celerity 50' Fiber HDMI cable -> RS500

If you have the Panasonic player Color Mode set to 4:4:4 I would change it to either Auto or 4:2:2.

If you have the Panasonic player 4K60 output set to 4:4:4 I would change it to 4:2:0.
Do you mean you would do those things as a work around, to avoid the issue? Perhaps I will have to do so temporarily. But there is no way I am settling on that as a permanent solution. JVC will need to fix the issue. I can understand if its gets a signal it doesn't like that it would not connect via HDMI. However there is absolutely no reason such a condition should cause the machine to go off the deepend and totally lose the ability to process or make any HDMI connect (or even display its own menus) without a power reset.

As I understand it, there is a small but notable quality difference by having the UB900 send 4:4:4 rather than 4:2:2 converted by the JVC. In fact I went out of my way to get an expensive fiber cable once I found out that my prior "4K certified" 50' cable was only capable of connecting at 4:2:2. With the fiber cable I can connect and lock at 4:4:4 just fine.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
UB900->4K certified 6' cable -> 8802a Blu-ray Input.
8802a -> 4k certified 6' cable -> Integral HDCP 2.2 input
Interal HDCP 2.2 output -> Celerity 50' Fiber HDMI cable -> RS500

Do you mean you would do those things as a work around, to avoid the issue? Perhaps I will have to do so temporarily. But there is no way I am settling on that as a permanent solution. JVC will need to fix the issue. I can understand if its gets a signal it doesn't like that it would not connect via HDMI. However there is absolutely no reason such a condition should cause the machine to go off the deepend and totally lose the ability to process or make any HDMI connect (or even display its own menus) without a power reset.

As I understand it, there is a small but notable quality difference by having the UB900 send 4:4:4 rather than 4:2:2 converted by the JVC. In fact I went out of my way to get an expensive fiber cable once I found out that my prior "4K certified" 50' cable was only capable of connecting at 4:2:2. With the fiber cable I can connect and lock at 4:4:4 just fine.
Yup in the end I figured I'd just keep it. As mentioned I have no other way to watch Vudu without it. Plus it is faster to get into a show on Netflix / Amazon then booting up the UB900. There definitely are issues with it tho when it comes to 4K HDR but still (barely) worth keeping so I did. At $80 its basically a no-brainer to keep if you can get *something* out of it. Oh also a big reason I kept the Ultra is because I can play some demo 4K UHD clips from it which are absolutely STUNNING. :eek:

16061 - 16080 of 33251 Posts