AVS Forum banner

16661 - 16680 of 33279 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Thanks, 4k ultra UHD Blu Ray, 1080p Blu Rays, and 720p NHL hockey...should I have waited to order? Any sense what improvements are on the new model that won't be on the current x750?
Nope, your good. Enjoy! Your gonna love it! :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Uggggg...I just ordered my x750 yesterday...what's changing? Is it obsolete already?.:eek:
Well, yes it is technically obsolete since that model is now end of line in my country.

There are now no units available in Australia, and they will only be replaced with the new models coming Jan.

If I were in your place, I would be waiting to see what the new models are when they are fully revealed.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Well, yes it is technically obsolete since that model is now end of line in my country.

There are now no units available in Australia, and they will only be replaced with the new models coming Jan.

If I were in your place, I would be waiting to see what the new models are when they are fully revealed.
Any rumours?

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Any rumours?
I know no facts.

However, far better HDR implementation with proper detection and auto switching modes would be a given.

Iris functional in HDR also distinctly possible but not confirmed.

And a rumour of an actual input lag reduction mode this time around is also a very high possibility since its now a feature of the JVC Z1 (4500).

Quicker HDMI sync times also a possibility.

Input lag alone is a reason I WILL buy one even though ive only had my X7000 for a 5-6 months. I would love to be able to game properly.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I know no facts.

However, far better HDR implementation with proper detection and auto switching modes would be a given.

Iris functional in HDR also distinctly possible but not confirmed.

And a rumour of an actual input lag reduction mode this time around is also a very high possibility since its now a feature of the JVC Z1 (4500).

Quicker HDMI sync times also a possibility.

Input lag alone is a reason I WILL buy one even though ive only had my X7000 for a 5-6 months. I would love to be able to game properly.
Thank goodness I'm not a gamer...do you feel the other updates will be firmware upgradeable?

Reactions: Tom Bley

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
"No" because their mandate is to just sell new units?
No because history has shown no new firmware updates this late in the cycle have ever added new features, and obviously yes they will just repackage the units as new model numbers, same parts but add some features to sell more.

Some of these features may actually require hardware chip tweaking. Not everything is software on these units, I imagine a bit of the functionality is hardcoded in the chips.

·
Registered
916 Posts
im confused here. could we be seeing a firmware update improving lag time? I ask because I am trying to purchase a cheaper 4K sony projector for gaming purposes. if my rs600 could serve this purpose, that would be awesome

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
im confused here. could we be seeing a firmware update improving lag time? I ask because I am trying to purchase a cheaper 4K sony projector for gaming purposes. if my rs600 could serve this purpose, that would be awesome
No.

There may however be new models in the next month available for purchase/pre-order which may have this feature as a selling point of the new model.

But this is not confirmed, anything about these new models is heresay at this point, all we know for sure is they seem to still be E-Shift.

Head to this thread to discuss this stuff:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...0-x7500-x9500-3-new-ht-projectors-2017-a.html

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Ok so I had a quick sit down last night to just check out the Masciola HDR patterns on the Panasonic finally.

I ended up at:

Gamma D: 12/4/5
Contrast: 12 - clipping around 1100/1200 nits.
Brightness 3.

Zero black floor compromise when tested with the HIDE button on the remote.

Gamma D's dark level had to go back up from 2 which I had previously to 4 in order to make the lower 4 bars of black clipping show up better.

They were there with Dark Level 2 but they were so dim it would be perceived as black clipping with mixed APL content. Now I should also note that those black clipping charts are super sensitive, what you may not realise is the last 10 bars on that chart are literally almost invisible (Bar 10 is actually pretty much where bar 18 or so would be in SDR), anyway, brightness on 3 showed me the 2nd last bar only very slightly, and I mean so slight that your brain almost thinks its not there, but pausing the video I could barely make it out, so hence it was correct, even if it was nearly invisible, its technically still there; this is where you may be getting caught up with having to go to brightness +18 was it you said? I did notice if I went up to 14 it made the bars more visible and closer to how illuminated bar 18 may be in the SDR patterns, but with the HDR patterns these should be extremely difficult to make out.

I ended up on high lamp - 4 on the iris (didnt measure but since I have 33fl in wide open high lamp im guessing its 28fl or so at -4), remember to set the iris to manual, otherwise any iris setting you do chose when HDR signal is detected and the unit is still on Auto 2 or so will be totally ignored and your iris will open all the way.

Lucy in HDR looked pretty good, the Panasonic does a FAR better job than the Samsung here with HDR. I have to admit, it looked closer to being a totally acceptable and natural picture than I ever remember HDR looking. The whole opening 10 minutes of Lucy actually looked excellent, I could have watched the whole film. Black floor was ok, when I ignored the actual fade to blacks I had no real issue with it, looked pretty stable to me.
Thanks for checking Javs, I will have another go at it since it's been bothering me that my brightness was set so high. Someone else in the Mascior thread ended up at +38 for brightness when trying to see bar 69:confused:

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Thanks for checking Javs, I will have another go at it since it's been bothering me that my brightness was set so high. Someone else in the Mascior thread ended up at +38 for brightness when trying to see bar 69:confused:
You will never see bar 69 without raising the black floor a ton, just like we cant see bar 17 without doing the same.

Focus on seeing bar 70, and fricken BARELY seeing it, I mean, you think you see it but you're not sure kind of seeing it. :)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Ok so I had a quick sit down last night to just check out the Masciola HDR patterns on the Panasonic finally.

I ended up at:

Gamma D: 12/4/5
Contrast: 12 - clipping around 1100/1200 nits.
Brightness 3.

Zero black floor compromise when tested with the HIDE button on the remote.

Gamma D's dark level had to go back up from 2 which I had previously to 4 in order to make the lower 4 bars of black clipping show up better.

They were there with Dark Level 2 but they were so dim it would be perceived as black clipping with mixed APL content. Now I should also note that those black clipping charts are super sensitive, what you may not realise is the last 10 bars on that chart are literally almost invisible (Bar 10 is actually pretty much where bar 18 or so would be in SDR), anyway, brightness on 3 showed me the 2nd last bar only very slightly, and I mean so slight that your brain almost thinks its not there, but pausing the video I could barely make it out, so hence it was correct, even if it was nearly invisible, its technically still there; this is where you may be getting caught up with having to go to brightness +18 was it you said? I did notice if I went up to 14 it made the bars more visible and closer to how illuminated bar 18 may be in the SDR patterns, but with the HDR patterns these should be extremely difficult to make out.

I ended up on high lamp - 4 on the iris (didnt measure but since I have 33fl in wide open high lamp im guessing its 28fl or so at -4), remember to set the iris to manual, otherwise any iris setting you do chose when HDR signal is detected and the unit is still on Auto 2 or so will be totally ignored and your iris will open all the way.

Lucy in HDR looked pretty good, the Panasonic does a FAR better job than the Samsung here with HDR. I have to admit, it looked closer to being a totally acceptable and natural picture than I ever remember HDR looking. The whole opening 10 minutes of Lucy actually looked excellent, I could have watched the whole film. Black floor was ok, when I ignored the actual fade to blacks I had no real issue with it, looked pretty stable to me.

Keep in mind too you never had the Samsung calibrated for HDR like this (IIRC), and I'm not saying the Panny isn't better (by all observations written & read... it is) but your "acceptable and natural" comment is very similar to mine now that it was properly cal'd by Chad using the Samsung HDR disc (did you also detect a bit of a darker more subdued (refined if you will), image when defining "natural" as I did (don't get me wrong as I mean it in a very positive way and when the benefits/advantages of HDR are called upon it's definitely there to give you that POP!)? Mine resulted in Chad choosing +10/0 for Ct/Br so I'd be interested in your take of IQ if you were to drop your brightness and open your iris all the way (just curious your take in that mode since mine seems so darn pleasing to the eye... not perfect by any means and I'm sure in the end your SDR/2020 will still be the preferred mode but for certain movies I much prefer HDR (but again full well knowing it might only be because I have a Samsung at this point).

;)

·
Registered
19,832 Posts
No.

There may however be new models in the next month available for purchase/pre-order which may have this feature as a selling point of the new model.

But this is not confirmed, anything about these new models is heresay at this point, all we know for sure is they seem to still be E-Shift.

Head to this thread to discuss this stuff:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...0-x7500-x9500-3-new-ht-projectors-2017-a.html
The link which is back up says March 2017 for the new / refreshed models, just FYI.

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Keep in mind too you never had the Samsung calibrated for HDR like this (IIRC), and I'm not saying the Panny isn't better (by all observations written & read... it is) but your "acceptable and natural" comment is very similar to mine now that it was properly cal'd by Chad using the Samsung HDR disc (did you also detect a bit of a darker more subdued (refined if you will), image when defining "natural" as I did (don't get me wrong as I mean it in a very positive way and when the benefits/advantages of HDR are called upon it's definitely there to give you that POP!)? Mine resulted in Chad choosing +10/0 for Ct/Br so I'd be interested in your take of IQ if you were to drop your brightness and open your iris all the way (just curious your take in that mode since mine seems so darn pleasing to the eye... not perfect by any means and I'm sure in the end your SDR/2020 will still be the preferred mode but for certain movies I much prefer HDR (but again full well knowing it might only be because I have a Samsung at this point).

;)

Actually nah mate I did have it all set on the 8500, I was able to use those patterns to get the best possible image from the Samsung in HDR. Thats why I bought the patterns actually, I ended up at contrast +14 with the samsung. I tweaked the black clipping point on that just the same way.

Mind you Lucy is not a low APL film, if I were to have a look at Batman v Supes I would probably get the ****s with the Panasonic in HDR just the same :)

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
There are hundreds of the current models in the US, just at one distributor. That tells me nothing new anytime soon.

I live in Australia, models are released here before the US according to past events... we are on the European cycle and euro models are always announced before the US versions are they not?

16661 - 16680 of 33279 Posts