AVS Forum banner

16741 - 16760 of 33279 Posts

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
You are killing me mannnn. Guess what !!!! I am going to order one now. Ok so the images you post are jaw dropping. No doubt. Are these 1080P upconverted or 4K images? If its 4K then may be not an apple to apple comparison. I better comparison would be to post a 1080P movie image upconverted (if you don't mind).
Also what screen gain and size are you using and where is the IRIS set?
I'm using a .8 AT screen 130" 2.35. I have my iris set to -5 but obviously don't get that punchy image even though my whole room is covered by black velvet. Today, I ordered SAT 4K which is supposed to be a 1.18 gain.

Prometheus is not available in 4K/UHD (yet)
It's a 1080p Bluray upconverted in the Panasonic Player to 4K

12' Throw to a 120" 16:9 1.3 gain screen, remote powered drop down I bought on ebay 8 years ago for $250 shipped
My viewing distance is ~ 9' eyes to screen

JVC X750 in Low Lamp mode with zombie10k's settings, Iris clamped down -10, Auto 2

Lots more pics (4K and 1080) in my build thread

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Prometheus is not available in 4K/UHD (yet)
It's a 1080p Bluray upconverted in the Panasonic Player to 4K

12' Throw to a 120" 16:9 1.3 gain screen, remote powered drop down I bought on ebay 8 years ago for $250 shipped
My viewing distance is ~ 9' eyes to screen

JVC X750 in Low Lamp mode with zombie10k's settings, Iris clamped down -10, Auto 2

Lots more pics (4K and 1080) in my build thread
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I was going to convince you to get Darbee and you convince me to buy Panny. errrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Well guess what !!!!! Just placed the order and will pickup today on my way home from the store. I also ordered Prometheus hehe. I can return Sammy so no sweat. I'll be able to compare and see how well it looks.

My projector is calibrated with HDMI input set to Super White. When I switch it to Auto, it brings A very good punch and brightness to image but crushes a little bit of shadow details. It doesn't crush black level cause I checked with 100% black pattern. So I might give it a shot. I really don't notice shadow details disappearing but do notice the image being not so punch due to lack of screen gain. Unless I put the lamp on High, it doesn't get that look.

Oh well.... Panny + new 1.18 gain screen might just do it. If not then Auto it is.

Reactions: Scott 44

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
You are killing me mannnn. Guess what !!!! I am going to order one now. Ok so the images you post are jaw dropping. No doubt. Are these 1080P upconverted or 4K images? If its 4K then may be not an apple to apple comparison. I better comparison would be to post a 1080P movie image upconverted (if you don't mind).
Also what screen gain and size are you using and where is the IRIS set?
I'm using a .8 AT screen 130" 2.35. I have my iris set to -5 but obviously don't get that punchy image even though my whole room is covered by black velvet. Today, I ordered SAT 4K which is supposed to be a 1.18 gain.
Looking forward to your review of the Severtson SAT 4K screen material. :)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I think that's a feature on the Integral, no? I have one but, never tried.
Hmmm, didn't think the integral could add HDR. Also, if Pio is somehow getting HDR on a regular blu ray, wouldn't that trigger Gamma D on the JVC/ And, if it did, wouldn't that cause all kinds of issues?

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Hmmm, didn't think the integral could add HDR. Also, if Pio is somehow getting HDR on a regular blu ray, wouldn't that trigger Gamma D on the JVC/ And, if it did, wouldn't that cause all kinds of issues?

I thinks its a false flag in the Panny player,
I don't think its the HDFury Integral, at least one other JVC user in my build thread (without an HDFury)
was concerned when he saw the same thing with his JVC on 1080p blurays.

link: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-general-home-theater-media-game-rooms/1062642-finally-my-new-house-basement-plans-12.html#post47213529

..and it definitely does not disable the dynamic iris like Real HDR does on 4K/UHD blurays.
I still get deep inky fade to 100% blacks

anyone else care to check theirs?

all settings in my Panasonic UB900 set to default/auto modes

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Yeah, I'm not really sure. :) I mean from the comparison pics it looks good.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts

Hold on a second hereeeee. You don't have HDFury in the chain do you? I don't have HD Fury. Would I still be able to get 12 bit color without it? My Sammy shows me 8 bit.

Reactions: yoguy1

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I thinks its a false flag in the Panny player,
I don't think its the HDFury Integral, at least one other JVC user in my build thread (without an HDFury)
was concerned when he saw the same thing with his JVC on 1080p blurays.

..and it definitely does not disable the dynamic iris like Real HDR does on 4K/UHD blurays.
I still get deep inky fade to 100% blacks

anyone else care to check theirs?

all settings in my Panasonic UB900 set to default/auto modes
I have a Panasonic UB900 and an integral and I do use it to upscale blu ray discs-----but I NEVER get it to "add" HDR under those circumstances. Gonna have to investigate this further

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Hold on a second hereeeee. You don't have HDFury in the chain do you? I don't have HD Fury. Would I still be able to get 12 bit color without it? My Sammy shows me 8 bit.
I do but only use it for 4K/UHD Bluray to swap between HDR BT.2020 SDR BT.2020 (EDID 8 and EDID 10)

It has no effect on 1080 BD's

My Panasonic is set to max resolution and bit depth (4:4:4 12 Bit and Deep Color) for everything

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Pio, just to be sure, when your Pana up-scales and sends the "false" HDR flag, does your JVC automatically switch to HDR mode with Gamma D?

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
I do but only use it for 4K/UHD Bluray to swap between HDR BT.2020 SDR BT.2020 (EDID 8 and EDID 10)

It has no effect on 1080 BD's

My Panasonic is set to max resolution and bit depth (4:4:4 12 Bit and Deep Color) for everything
Thx. I thought Deep Color was supposed to be off No. Plus you said you have all the settings on Panny to default and Auto. I think Deep Color by default should be off. So you have Panny on 4:4: 4: 12 Bit with Deep Color on and HDFury plays no part here. This also means that you can take HDFury out of chain and will still get 12 Bit. Coolr.

Finally, what about the projector? What's your HDMI Input is set to and also the Color? I'm assuming your HDMI input is set to Auto and Color to yCBCR 4:4:4????

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Pio, just to be sure, when your Pana up-scales and sends the "false" HDR flag, does your JVC automatically switch to HDR mode with Gamma D?
Nope,

as you can see here, the Panny is outputting SDR

all I did from that screen to the next was hit the info button on the JVC
Boom HDR: Yes appears, weird huh?

I'm definitely in my standard 2D Low mode (Gamma 2.3 or 2.4 iirc)

Somebody else with a Panny should try

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
What source actually has 12 bit color ?
None to my knowledge but what happens when source player is sending 12 bit? In his image, JVC info is showing 12 bit which means it didn't change it. So did Panny upconvert from 8 to 12 or its just the false info being sent.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
The top screen shot looks better to me color / contrast wise - the bottom one looks a bit washed out.
I think its because he has JVC menu up. When JVC shows the menu, it puts IRIS to manual I think. I'm sure the top photo is without menu and no other change. So what you see comparing Top to Bottom image is Auto Iris VS Manual Iris (I think).

16741 - 16760 of 33279 Posts