AVS Forum banner

19841 - 19860 of 32897 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
They put out 2K DIs because that was what the production settled on, it has nothing to do with the home market, it was a 2K DI when you saw it in the theaters on those 60'+ screens and no one was bitching then. How many people care about what the projector is at a local theater? Or the fact that the contrast ratio is like 2K:1 at best? Or that they are using a 4K projector and 99% of the films on it are in 2K? Or that they have a 4K projector with a 4K movie but they left the polarizing filter in place in front of the lens and are now getting like 40% of the light robbed and the resolution more than halved? We micromanage our home theaters because we are bored and have a hobby, but it is MUCH MUCH worse in commercial theaters and we turn a blind eye constantly, and the price of admission is WAY higher per movie!

JVC does not provide firmware updates for tweaks because their firmware update process sucks and provides a really high risk of bricking the projector. So risk management says it isn't worth it for tweaks unless at the same time they are fixing something that is actually broken. The 4500 has a USB port for FW updates and hopefully we'll see this with newer models going forward. That should provide JVC with the means of doing tweak updates and less risk of bricking. I'm not happy with that reality, but I understand it from their business standpoint.
Kris,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I bought and built a HOME theater so I wouldn't have to go to the local cinema. I rarely due and only for blockbuster IMAX 3D at that (Star Wars, LotR, etc.). The fact that movies are generally worse there only makes my decision better. Studios have a long history of remastering. If they choose not to do so BEFORE initially bringing them out a disc proclaiming to be 4K, but do so later with a few extras to double-dip; then that still sucks.

As for lack of firmware updates, I'm not going to cut JVC any slack at all when it was their decision to NOT put a USB connection on these projectors. Those have been around for a long time. They could also have looked at using the Ethernet connection. I've been updating my players and AVRs with these methods regularly. There's really no excuse including fear of bricking. I suspect their business decision is more about getting us to upgrade to the 4500 than anything else. In my case, that's not going to happen unless I hit the lottery....and I don't play. Like most, I'll have to wait for these benefits to trickle down to affordable projectors years from now. :(

·
Premium Member
9,828 Posts
It was actually thanks to your 709NF. That thing just NAILED the saturation tracking after every cal. The standard profile always calibrated over-saturated, but as soon as I select your NF filter and do it at my iris position, autocal completes, then I take an immediate saturation tracking measurement at 20% increments in calman, it was really good.

iD3 trained at the screen at the same time I do autocal with the spyder facing the lens.

Untrained, But alas, this is what it reads right after my Spyder does its thing, so either the measurements are close enough and they are both pretty accurate meters, or my iD3 and Spyder are spectacularly incorrect to the point they cancel each other out and the error 'looks' right :) Both could be possible.

One of my meters is actually out on the extreme ends of P3 though, I know that much, but I guess they have no problem with Rec709 so far.

I still would like to buy a spectro, as I have said before. But since I might be buying a Z1 later this year, I am not sure, that thing is not supposed to be able to read laser wavelengths properly since you need a 5nm spectro.
Yes, the Rec-709NF profile really helps (I assumed that's what you were using, there would be no way to track as well with any of the other profiles), but still your results are unnatural :)

The calibration after autocal is always nailed according to the spyder, but as they tend to not be very accurate (best I found is my current Spyder 4 which shows a 3dE2000 error at 100% white D65), your results are not typical. I really don't understand how your greyscale can be so stable above 75%. I've never seen this on any recent JVC (since they pumped up the brightness output).

The i1d3 is usually fairly accurate (very close to the i1pro2 with LCOS) so you must have a platinum Spyder (I only have a golden one). It's highly unlikely that both would be off in exactly the same way, so we can rule this out.

With results like this, there is no point running a 3D LUT for rec-709, but you could still use one for PAL and NTSC that MadVR can apply automatically if you still play DVDs.

I had no problems using the i1pro2 to train the Discus with the Epson LS10000. Whether that will be true with future models, I don't know.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I hope to have my new 9500 inside of a month, I might not be able to get one right at launch since I am about to spend 10 days on this beach, and its going to put quite a damper on any new home theatre gear :)
Those pictures singe my retinas even through my computer screen. :cool:

Oh, you're getting the 9500. Awesome!

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's kind of amazing to me how this industry has yet again stepped on it's own dick ! Just when I thought we had avoided another HD DVD vs Blu Ray format war, now there are three competing HDR standards ( HDR10, DV and I just read about one from Technicolor ). At this point I kind of like stripping HDR and watching SDR BT.2020 out of spite ! :eek:
Edit: I wrote this when catching up a couple of pages back, and there has been a lot of 2.1 discussion since, that sort of addresses this. However, we seem to be pushed by the CE guys (displays, receivers, players), with the front end of the chain (the studios) not prioritizing standardized 4K content, and the backend (the cables) being left out of the planning as well.

But wait for it. Here is the next screwup.

The HDMI Forum has released the latest HDMI specification, HDMI 2.1, with the new protocol variation able to drive 4K at 120Hz, 8K at 60Hz, and 10K across a new cable capable of 48 gigabits per second of data transfer.

We can't even reliably get 18gb/sec to work over 20' and the next step planned is 48gb/sec. Am I missing something?
Are there any cable manufacturers on the HDMI Forum?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
This will only matter for 4K @ 60p, for example to be able to reach 10bits+ in 4:4:4, which is what I want with MadVR on my HTPC.
Hi Manni. Fellow madvr user here as well. Though I'm primarily using it to scale 1080p Blu ray rips.

Are you scaling TV shows this the need for 4k @ 60p?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
You are not reading the factual information. The RS4500 is looking real good. You need to read Kris's reports on it. He actually has a production unit for review.
Good to know that it's looking real good. That bodes well for any future JVC projector for the "unwashed masses" like me. My statement was based on what I was reading a few weeks ago based on what folks saw/reported at the trade shows. I haven't followed that thread lately since I don't own one and the price is out of my wife's comfort zone. ;) I'm busy keeping up with this thread and watching my UHDs again on the new Oppo.

I look forward to Kris's report.

Reactions: krichter1

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just received my RS500 today - moving from an RS 4910. I'm not a gamer (father time has stolen the reflexes) so the 520 offered me little when considering the great price on the on the close out 500s. If you're thinking about this projector give Mike Garrett a call. But be ready to buy because it is hard to pass up this deal.

·
Registered
18,137 Posts
Edit: I wrote this when catching up a couple of pages back, and there has been a lot of 2.1 discussion since, that sort of addresses this. However, we seem to be pushed by the CE guys (displays, receivers, players), with the front end of the chain (the studios) not prioritizing standardized 4K content, and the backend (the cables) being left out of the planning as well.

But wait for it. Here is the next screwup.

The HDMI Forum has released the latest HDMI specification, HDMI 2.1, with the new protocol variation able to drive 4K at 120Hz, 8K at 60Hz, and 10K across a new cable capable of 48 gigabits per second of data transfer.

We can't even reliably get 18gb/sec to work over 20' and the next step planned is 48gb/sec. Am I missing something?
Are there any cable manufacturers on the HDMI Forum?
I'm watching 4K Blu Rays @24p and HDTV via Dish @ 1080p ( at best ). And Blu Rays ( still great movies coming out only on BR ). That's all I'll be watching for the foreseeable future. So they can do what they want. It will be 8 years before everything I'd like to see on 4K is on 4K, maybe. And I'm not holding my breath on broadcast TV being 4K for years. We can talk about this more in 4 or 5 years.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Is that in HDR or SDR?:D

Have a great holiday Javs, looks amazing, wherever it it.
Australia. Up north.

That is Whitehaven beach in the Whitsundays... Only accesible by boat. And one of the top 10 best beaches in the world. Definitely some WCG on those beaches!

Will be staying on Daydream island which is the little island in the pic there, about 30 minutes boat from Whitehaven. I have been there before twice.

Check my Flickr for some nice pics of Cairns up north... Wicked tropical rainforests. You guys should holiday here!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbomb/

Excuse all the pics of my wife :)

Sorry for the thread jack! That's the end of my holiday segments :)

·
Registered
28,778 Posts
Good to know that it's looking real good. That bodes well for any future JVC projector for the "unwashed masses" like me. My statement was based on what I was reading a few weeks ago based on what folks saw/reported at the trade shows. I haven't followed that thread lately since I don't own one and the price is out of my wife's comfort zone. ;) I'm busy keeping up with this thread and watching my UHDs again on the new Oppo.

I look forward to Kris's report.
None of that info was based on a production unit. You can wait until May to read the review or you can read his posts now. I was told what the numbers should be, so it is nice to have the numbers confirmed. I will shoot you an email.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The studios have also decided that putting the correct metadata into the info frames is optional ...
I don't get the whole emphasis on the metadata. First, it only tells you the values for the whole movie, so not of much value. Second, it is pretty easy to calculate those values on a frame by frame basis, eliminating the need for dynamic metadata. Something like this must already be done to implement the dynamic iris function.

And then as you say, the values in it may not even be correct.

·
Premium Member
9,828 Posts
Hi Manni. Fellow madvr user here as well. Though I'm primarily using it to scale 1080p Blu ray rips.

Are you scaling TV shows this the need for 4k @ 60p?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
No, I want to be able to play my PAL DVDs (50p) or NTSC DVDs (60p) with MyMovies switching automatically to the correct refresh rate from my 23p default for bluray/HD content. As I also want to use MadVR's excellent chroma upscaling, that means I need to be able to go up to [email protected] in 4:4:4 10bits (if I want to be able to play UHD content in full quality), which HDMI 2.0x doesn't support.

This is why for now I've kept my HD7870 and keep everything at 1080p 4:4:4 10bits. I don't really mind as all my UHD content is played with the Pana UB900.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Still trying to grasp connections and settings best practices for RS500 / UB900 / HDFury Integral:

1) For watching a "vintage" Blu Ray (1080p) - UB900 should be set to output 1080, HDFury doesn't need to do anything, RS500 = eShift "ON"
(Supposedly this looks better from UB900 than upscaling 1080 to 4K and outputting?) Can the EDID = 10 be left "on"?

2) For watching a "4K / UHD" Blu Ray (4K) - UB900 should be set to 4K out, HDFury is EDID 10 (to keep WCG but strip HDR), RS500 = eShift "ON"

3) For watching other 1080p sources (Roku, DTV Genie, etc...) Should eShift remain "ON"?

Lastly, can I use the HDFury Integral to accept 4K input (it has 2 inputs apparently) from both the UB900 and a Roku 4K box, while using one of the Integral's outputs to send 1.4 HDMI audio to my (older) AVR for True HD audio etc... while using the other output to drive the RS500 (with the EDID 10 flag)?
* Don't know if Roku 4K does HDR on VUDU, but if so will the Integral, if used as I've imagined above, be able to convert HDR to SDR BT2020 like it does on the ouput of the UB900?

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
279 Posts
has anyone run across a black screen with flickering green lines? I don't have my sammy uhd player to test my hdmi cable (blue jeans @ 35 feet) so I've recently been using my roku ultra as the source. the blue jeans cable was actually able to pass roku's 'test' of [email protected] everything was fine until I decided to upgrade my netflix account to be able to view 4k uhd. now, whenever I select netflix, the jvc displays a black screen with flickering green lines. after that, my display isn't able to recover unless I power off the projector and turn it back on.

edit: it looks like it's a handshake issue between the receiver and the projector. removing the marantz mk2 seems to solve the issue. anyone else have issues with hdpc with the marantz 7702mk2?

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Still trying to grasp connections and settings best practices for RS500 / UB900 / HDFury Integral:

1) For watching a "vintage" Blu Ray (1080p) - UB900 should be set to output 1080, HDFury doesn't need to do anything, RS500 = eShift "ON"
(Supposedly this looks better from UB900 than upscaling 1080 to 4K and outputting?) Can the EDID = 10 be left "on"?

2) For watching a "4K / UHD" Blu Ray (4K) - UB900 should be set to 4K out, HDFury is EDID 10 (to keep WCG but strip HDR), RS500 = eShift "ON"

3) For watching other 1080p sources (Roku, DTV Genie, etc...) Should eShift remain "ON"?

Lastly, can I use the HDFury Integral to accept 4K input (it has 2 inputs apparently) from both the UB900 and a Roku 4K box, while using one of the Integral's outputs to send 1.4 HDMI audio to my (older) AVR for True HD audio etc... while using the other output to drive the RS500 (with the EDID 10 flag)?
* Don't know if Roku 4K does HDR on VUDU, but if so will the Integral, if used as I've imagined above, be able to convert HDR to SDR BT2020 like it does on the ouput of the UB900?

Thanks for any insight.
I don't agree with 1.

Your projector can display 50% more information on the screen than can be shown in 1080p, and the Panny is a phenomenal up-scaler. go back a couple of pages, I just did a set of comparisons, although the Panasonic was set slightly high in sharpening, its not difficult to see the results are very good for the most part. You can even compare it with the actual UHD discs.

Have a go at setting 4k output permanently, just set and forget, leave the fury in EDID 10 at all times, bluray or UHD, no difference.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The units default in HDR to clip 2000nits rather than 10,000.

Black floor is not compromised in HDR and is the factory lowest by default at the 2000nit clipping point. Auto Iris does not work though.
Does this mean the new versions 520/620 have a HDR black floor performance that the old versions can not match with any settings adjustments? So the old versions have a compromised black floor in HDR that can not be dialed out but the new versions do not have this issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Does this mean the new versions 520/620 have a HDR black floor performance that the old versions can not match with any settings adjustments? So the old versions have a compromised black floor in HDR that can not be dialed out but the new versions do not have this issue? Thanks.
I think he's referring to the RS4500. Not sure about others but I'd like to know too.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
I think he's referring to the RS4500. Not sure about others but I'd like to know too.
No, I am talking about the new RS420/520/620 etc

I am just going from what Ekki described on his website.

He says that in Gamma D now, the black floor is correctly at the projectors factory lowest black level. Which means the same black floor you get in SDR is there in HDR and the settings at default. Thats a big plus.

They now clip out of the box to 2000nits, which is MUCH closer to where it should be by default, Ekki says it still required some light adjustments to get it to clip to 1000nits (Naturally) and to the black point clipping required, but he did comment on how much easier it was now to get HDR set properly.

And with the correct black floor, or at least extremely close to the projectors ultimate black floor now, I imagine it does indeed look better on these units.

With the outgoing units, at the JVC recommended settings, the black floor was hilariously raised. That should be pretty much fixed now.

Krix Deering reported exactly the same thing with the RS4500, but since he had not seen the lower tier new models yet, he was not sure if this carried over. Sounds to me like the 4500 is the best HDR projector out there at the moment from his reaction, hopefully they carried across the same underlying default settings... I don't see why they wouldn't have.

Keep in mind, these new units are the first new JVC units since UHD Bluray and HDR became mainstream, so they were not applying any quick fixes, and now they seem to have properly implemented it.

19841 - 19860 of 32897 Posts