AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 6239 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in getting the EX500 but there is hardly any info on this set. Hopefully this will help provide info. I know some stores have these in stock on the west coast and have seen on display but was limited.

At the Sonystyle store I saw 2 55 inch sets but they were showing PS3 games and no regular HD programing and at Costco was a feed of the Winter Olympics opening ceremony and was very pixilated badly.

Hopefully someone will have this set soon to give some info and see if it is worth getting.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy214 /forum/post/18154643

I am interested in getting the EX500 but there is hardly any info on this set. Hopefully this will help provide info. I know some stores have these in stock on the west coast and have seen on display but was limited.

At the Sonystyle store I saw 2 55 inch sets but they were showing PS3 games and no regular HD programing and at Costco was a feed of the Winter Olympics opening ceremony and was very pixilated badly.

Hopefully someone will have this set soon to give some info and see if it is worth getting.

I have had this TV (55EX501) since last Thursday and am very happy with it. It replaced a 4 year Sony 46" 1080i LCD. I have had no issues at all. The picture is very sharp when watching live sports and HD Cable. The sound is not too bad though I use receiver most of the time now.

I am hoping that someone who has the experience will get one and calibrate it and post the settings
My settings are just by comparing with our other TV. I am satisfied now but I am sure there is improvement to be made.

The TV at home looked a lot better than in Costco. I have found that to be true of most stores. So I give this a good recommendation for a good priced 55" TV. Especially through Costco with the 3 year warranty from Sony.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just recieved the 60EX500 on Friday to replace my 4 year old XBR1 with optical block problems. The pq is definetly superior to my XBR1. Unless you have to buy a Sony tv as part of a replacement deal I wouldnt recommend buying a tv from Sony.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I went to Best Buy today and saw the EX on display. They had it right next to a V5100. The EX was visiblily better. Not bad for a low end tv. Definately nothing to get excited over but not bad for those on a budget.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Got the 55ex501 friday from costco. Love it! Looks great and better than it did in the store. Olympics looks so colorful on it! Great 3 year warranty from costco with it. Hoping for calibration as well, but looks amazing as is out of the box.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm getting one from Sony in that SXRD replacement deal.

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I hope this set can be calibrated to get the best PQ.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The 55 is one of the TVs that I'm considering. With the one from Costco is the warranty the standard 2 year plus 1 year AMEX? Or does it actually have a 3 year warranty?

If someone knows, can you post the size of the carton for the 55ex500/501? The Sony seems to only have the dimensions for the unit itself.

If I end up buying it local, I'd rather pick it up myself than have it delivered for extra cost.

·
Registered
76 Posts
it is a 3 year warranty, says right on the box and the paperwork inside says it as well from sony. no need to use amex, we didnt. Ill try to get box size tomorrow night, its out in shed out back-just in case-but we got it to fit in a 2005 mazda 6 with no problem at all, slid right in with room to spare! its very thin, it really isnt much bigger than the set, maybe 3 inches thicker, 2 inches up and down and about 6-8 inches longer i would guess.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg4878 /forum/post/18164775

That's a sweet warranty then. By buying it on AMEX, you can get a 4th year. That's a really tempting deal.

I need to call to verify the 4th year. They usually add a year regardless of the length. The box I got was quite a bit smaller than the V5100 model I had first.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
is the "standard" Sony 46EX500 warranty ONE year or TWO? there were some who posted on this forum who said the standard is TWO years and that costco's 3-year warranty is thus one extra year.

if the standard EX500's warranty were to be ONE year, than costco's warranty is a whopping two extra years!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I picked the 46EX500 up from Best Buy yesterday for our bedroom and I am very impressed. It replaced a LG 47LH40 which was a replacement for a couple year old Panasonic plasma. The picture quality is far superior on the Sony compared to the previous 2. I would recomend it if you are looking for an inexpensive panel.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImG2theB /forum/post/18166188

I picked the 46EX500 up from Best Buy yesterday for our bedroom and I am very impressed. It replaced a LG 47LH40 which was a replacement for a couple year old Panasonic plasma. The picture quality is far superior on the Sony compared to the previous 2. I would recomend it if you are looking for an inexpensive panel.

I am quite impressed also with my 55EX501. Very sharp and the blacks are much better than my old Sony. So far so good.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwkua /forum/post/18167090

Would it be possible for anyone who has this to test the input lag in game mode?

My son wants to try out his Xbox, I may let him over the weekend
I have been watching to much TV to let him try yet. I do not play games so not really sure what game lag is. The TV has a game mode that I guess would be the right mode to use. I can let you know if he notices anything unusual. He had no problems with our old 46" Sony.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwb1921 /forum/post/18166990

I am quite impressed also with my 55EX501. Very sharp and the blacks are much better than my old Sony. So far so good.

That sounds great! I hoping the 55EX500 will be a decent replacement for my XBR1.

I'll have to track one down around these parts. They start to show up at PC Richards next week.

Maybe I'll also take a trip to our Costco and see if they have it on display.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How is the flashlighting on this TV compared to the v5100. I just returned my 46v5100 to bestbuy today and got the samsung 50b550(its buzzing away and looks like crap compared to the sony). The Sony has way better black levels and much better colors but the flash lighting was killing me.

Seems like all the TVs in the $1000 range have some sort of problem like Speakers buzzing or crackling, Flashlighting, 24p mode flickers, bad viewing angle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On this model, i never heard the speakers buzz, but i have them turned off now since going through receiver, love the viewing angle, only watched about 30 mins in 24p-star trek-didnt notice any flicker, but thats the first time ive seen 24p so maybe i just didnt notice??, but i am not familiar with flashlighting? what is that and maybe i can answer for you.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybowbow /forum/post/18171567

How is the flashlighting on this TV compared to the v5100. I just returned my 46v5100 to bestbuy today and got the samsung 50b550(its buzzing away and looks like crap compared to the sony). The Sony has way better black levels and much better colors but the flash lighting was killing me.

Seems like all the TVs in the $1000 range have some sort of problem like Speakers buzzing or crackling, Flashlighting, 24p mode flickers, bad viewing angle.

I have not noticed flashlighting on mine like on the 55V5100 I had. It was visible on the 55V5100 to a little degree, I do not notice on the 55EX501. Even the corners look good, no visible light coming from that area. Sound is OK for a TV though I use the receiver a lot. My wife uses the TV speakers and her only comment was that it needed to be higher than on our old Sony (20-30 vs 40-50). The quality is fine though.

Screen is a little more reflective than compared to our old Sony. Not a major issue. Overall very happy with the TV.

1 - 20 of 6239 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.