AVS Forum banner

4901 - 4920 of 6239 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello; I just bought a 32EX500 (Mpva panel, european model so bravia engine 3) to replace a good old 22inch crt pc monitor.

The tv is connected to a ATI 4890 via a dvi to hdmi cable.The problem is that I think I m suffering form the lack of 4:4:4 chroma subsampling support.

Most of the white or red text on black background create the appearance of some blue or purple pixel. This happens mostly for internet surfing and on some other software like speedcommander, notepad, paint...

For instance, I created in Paint.net a black document of 1920x1080. I wrote a line of I in Arial - 28 - red. Once this was done, I used the hand tool to quickly move this line. The blue and purple pixel appeared. So, now I am able to reproduce it at 100%.

Here is a screenshot:

I already tried VGA and it's the same problem.

I decided to buy this tv even if I was not sure that it support 4:4:4 (divergent opinion on the web).

Can someone try that at home and let me know if it happens also ?

Is there anything I can do to solve that ?

Is it really due to the lack of 4:4:4 support ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please Help!! 3 weeks ago I returned my first LCD an LG37ld450 because it buzzed quite loud when I reduced the backlight below 100. I now have a Panasonic 37u3 which also makes the dreaded buzzing sound when baclight is reduced. Do all F#$%ING LCD buzz when backlight is reduced?? Can anyone please tell me if the Sony 40EX500 buzzes when the backlight is reduced or is this just something that is inherent of CCFL based LCDs. Do LED based lcds buzz??? I will use this LCD for the bedroom and often have the volume relatively low, which means this buzz drives me crazy!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmammoliti /forum/post/20473467

Please Help!! 3 weeks ago I returned my first LCD an LG37ld450 because it buzzed quite loud when I reduced the backlight below 100. I now have a Panasonic 37u3 which also makes the dreaded buzzing sound when baclight is reduced. Do all F#$%ING LCD buzz when backlight is reduced?? Can anyone please tell me if the Sony 40EX500 buzzes when the backlight is reduced or is this just something that is inherent of CCFL based LCDs. Do LED based lcds buzz??? I will use this LCD for the bedroom and often have the volume relatively low, which means this buzz drives me crazy!

the ex5 series is silent

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Mike. Is there anybody else who can verify this or is this "if I get lucky kind of thing." I'd hate to get the 40ex500 only to hear the same distracting buzz.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Serialmike,

I have the KDL-46EX501.

I would like to try out a set of settings that you recommend for MOVIES. I don't game on the main TV and so I don't need "HOT." Would you give me a link?

I'd have looked myself but since there are almost 5,000 posts in this thread it would take all week.

Thanx.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmammoliti /forum/post/0

Thanks Mike. Is there anybody else who can verify this or is this "if I get lucky kind of thing." I'd hate to get the 40ex500 only to hear the same distracting buzz.

No buzz...none...nada...zilch....

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmammoliti /forum/post/20473467

furthermore there has never been one single buzz noise complaint in this thread.

·
Registered
21 Posts
None here what so ever

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you guys. I guess the Panny goes back and here comes the 40ex500. Guys are the blacks on the Sony ex500 noticeable deeper then IPS aplha of the Panansonic??

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmammoliti /forum/post/20474875

60EX500 here, and there's NO BUZZZ whatsoever.

I'm REAL picky about ground loop issues in audio. This set is dead silent between tracks.

Then again, my wife claims I'm deaf.
It's a scientific fact that the high pitch of a women's voice is inaudible to a man who loves peace and quite for a few moments to enjoy all they worked for, Seriously.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Replaced new Panasonic 46ST30 with sharper, more vibrant 46EX500. Not impressed with black level of Panasonic. My view is not to fall in love with 2011 models as 4k smaller size models are in the works.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialmike /forum/post/20467037

I learned (on my own) I had made a mistake. While resolving the mistake I learned a few things and applied the quirks of the white balance controls to my advantage.

What mistake did you make? Quirks?

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 /forum/post/20480683

What mistake did you make? Quirks?

Patterns I used, That I made mind you. Were made with corel. They were made in RGB color. This is incorrect. I had no idea at the time when making greyscale that this would be off. They need to be made in sRGB.

I used AVS disc patterns. When I used these I also used thier excellent shadow detail pattern which really showed me what white balance is doing. Its not that white balance controls brightness in anyway. Interestingly very interestingly certain clicks of green biaas will KILL shadow detail. Not that these are exact examples but lets say -1 green shadow detail is there and proper still. -2 will make the lightest bar disappear (yeah really) then -3 it will be back (yeah wth).

Good news is that it doesnt matter because it can be calibrated fine if you know what your looking for and your going back and checking everything.

Also of note, the old calibration that I had up forever is still not bad at all. Just off a little bit.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 /forum/post/20481076

how did it effect you metered results?

on the red side of things

4901 - 4920 of 6239 Posts