AVS Forum banner

2961 - 2980 of 3244 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Has anyone received a refund through their Chase Sapphire Preferred or other VISA card? I bought my TV on the second go-round (Black Friday 2016) with my CSP, which extends warranties to three years. I remember another user saying VISA's policy is to replace rather than refund, but I don't believe he ever commented on the outcome of his claim.

Thanks,
And that would be within VISA right, but at this point they would not be able to replace it (they cannot purchase it) and no one can get parts. So far the ones who used Discover have not had a problem.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I revisited my Roku Ultra today and according to the system update, I am up to date with software version 8.1.0, Build 4159. I am running the CN firmware on the Umax and checked out a new HDR video on The HDR Channel named, Real 4K HDR 60fps: LG OLED Perfect Black in HDR. Wow, the tv’s display of HDR and black levels were gorgeous and reminded me of the inky blacks that floored me when I first got the tv. A bit eye opening and I may start giving HDR more playing time in respect to the Dolby Vision I’ve been forcing on both the ATV and the Oppo 203.
Figured out the newer roku (2018) 4660X with either firmware 9.0.0 build 4083-46 or 8.1.0 build 4145-46 have the hdr bug (non china firmware on tv). My older roku ultras (2016) 4640x on 8.1.0 build 4159-29 and 9.0.0 work fine with displaying the hdr right away. Sometimes they still have a hard time getting out of the hdr mode and I have to switch inputs but I can live with that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Every now and then when playing HDR games from my PS4 Pro I get the screen flashing static and the picture goes blank. There doesn't seem to be any pattern on when this happens or why. Sometimes the picture comes back and other times I just change inputs on my receiver and back to the PS4 and it works fine. I'm using a Denon X2200W. I'm not sure if the problem is from the receiver or the tv. Has anyone else had anything similar happen?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys I'm having a new problem that I haven't seen covered before. The Google assistant microphone on the remote stopped working. Has anyone experienced this and knows a fix? If not, does anyone know if you can purchase a new remote for this somewhere?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
ARC problem

One of my TVs has a broken optical jack. Because of that I need to use ARC to hook up my Vizio soundbar. I hooked my Roku into the Vizio soundbar and the soundbar HDMI out to Input 1 on the uMax85. The Roku video shows on the TV and the audio comes out of the soundbar. However, the other two HDMI ports don't output audio to the soundbar. Suggestions please. I have the internal speakers turned off. I hare tried output digital turned on and off. I am running CN firmware.

·
Registered
551 Posts
One of my TVs has a broken optical jack. Because of that I need to use ARC to hook up my Vizio soundbar. I hooked my Roku into the Vizio soundbar and the soundbar HDMI out to Input 1 on the uMax85. The Roku video shows on the TV and the audio comes out of the soundbar. However, the other two HDMI ports don't output audio to the soundbar. Suggestions please. I have the internal speakers turned off. I hare tried output digital turned on and off. I am running CN firmware.

The only option really is to use a different piece of equipment for plugging in HDMI sources and run one single HDMI to the TV.
The best option would be any newer AV Receiver that supports 4K pass through.
If you wanted to go cheaper, you could try an HDMI switch in place ahead of your sound bar.
Roku -> hdmi switch -> soundbar -> TV
Device2 -> hdmi switch -> soundbar -> TV
Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
The only option really is to use a different piece of equipment for plugging in HDMI sources and run one single HDMI to the TV.
The best option would be any newer AV Receiver that supports 4K pass through.
If you wanted to go cheaper, you could try an HDMI switch in place ahead of your sound bar.
Roku -> hdmi switch -> soundbar -> TV
Device2 -> hdmi switch -> soundbar -> TV
Etc...
But I thought the uMax85 supported ARC. Doesn't it? My manual shows HDMI1 as being the ARC return channel. This should work. It is the way Vizio shows it being wired and I thought I had it working this way once. However, I have moved so I am having to set everything up from scratch again. If I can get ARC to work I will be fine.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Every now and then when playing HDR games from my PS4 Pro I get the screen flashing static and the picture goes blank. There doesn't seem to be any pattern on when this happens or why. Sometimes the picture comes back and other times I just change inputs on my receiver and back to the PS4 and it works fine. I'm using a Denon X2200W. I'm not sure if the problem is from the receiver or the tv. Has anyone else had anything similar happen?
My top guess given limited information is loss of HDMI handshake due to marginal signal path, likely due to lack of "Certified Premium" HDMI cable(s) in the path. Either that or something else. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can someone please kindly provide a pdf of the warranty. My umax85 tv has started to turn off intermittently and apps have stopped working. I am really frustrated with this piece of ****. Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys I'm having a new problem that I haven't seen covered before. The Google assistant microphone on the remote stopped working. Has anyone experienced this and knows a fix? If not, does anyone know if you can purchase a new remote for this somewhere?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had this problem a while ago. I didn't really do anything about it since I usually just type in the search. It started working again on it's own at some point, not sure when. I used the voice search a few times over the holiday break.

Try rebooting Android.

TIA

Homer

·
Registered
127 Posts
Back to US Firmware

After using the Chinese firmware for a time, I've gone back to US firmware for the new year. The only advantage of the Chinese firmware is Dolby Vision over HDMI. But my main source of DV material is Netflix via AppleTV 4K, and the DV picture is just too dark. Watching in HDR is much better, and the US firmware does that. Maybe a future update will fix the darkness issue, but for now I'm very happy with US firmware.

Still a great TV.

·
Registered
551 Posts
After using the Chinese firmware for a time, I've gone back to US firmware for the new year. The only advantage of the Chinese firmware is Dolby Vision over HDMI. But my main source of DV material is Netflix via AppleTV 4K, and the DV picture is just too dark. Watching in HDR is much better, and the US firmware does that. Maybe a future update will fix the darkness issue, but for now I'm very happy with US firmware.

Still a great TV.

Not sure what is different about the sets, but I don’t find DV too dark at all, in fact I set things to force DV if given the option. Keeps color consistent.
I was frustrated with HDR color being off last year (pastel pinkish reds for example)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not sure what is different about the sets, but I don’t find DV too dark at all, in fact I set things to force DV if given the option. Keeps color consistent.
Might just be my old eyes! AppleTV 4K playing Marvel's Iron Fist, Season 2, Episode 1 is my comparative benchmark. Opening scenes are dark to start with, but I much prefer it in HDR over DV. DV does look great playing sample files I have and I don't have any other DV source to compare with.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Might just be my old eyes! AppleTV 4K playing Marvel's Iron Fist, Season 2, Episode 1 is my comparative benchmark. Opening scenes are dark to start with, but I much prefer it in HDR over DV. DV does look great playing sample files I have and I don't have any other DV source to compare with.

Netflix Marvel has always had weird grainy looks to it. (Any of them)
I’d suggest Stranger Things as a good Netflix compare, but it sounds like you went to US firmware anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is anyone using ARC for sound out? Has anyone tried it? Any issues? I can't seem to make it work.
I use it all the time for HULU and Netflix. Works fine for me without any issues. I perfer those apps thru the TV instead of my TiVo Bolt box.

I've used it with an Onkyo receiver and now the Sony STR N1080.

I believe it has to be on HDMI 1 for ARC.

HTH

TIA

Homer

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use it all the time for HULU and Netflix. Works fine for me without any issues. I perfer those apps thru the TV instead of my TiVo Bolt box.

I've used it with an Onkyo receiver and now the Sony STR N1080.

I believe it has to be on HDMI 1 for ARC.

HTH

TIA

Homer
So I have my Vizio soundbar on HDMI1. But when I select HDMI2 or HDMI 3 it doesn't play through the soundbar. Are you saying you are able to do this? Which firmware are you on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
So I have my Vizio soundbar on HDMI1. But when I select HDMI2 or HDMI 3 it doesn't play through the soundbar. Are you saying you are able to do this? Which firmware are you on?
Yes, I am able to play the TV audio through my receiver as I am connected to my receiver to via HDMI 1. The receiver is always connected to the TV thru HDMI 1, I don't have any other inputs to the TV nor do I ever change the cable connecting to HDMI 1.

For example, I'll use the Netflex app on the TV, select TV as the input on my Sony STR DN1080 receiver for full audio.

As I mentioned earlier, I prefer this method over using the Netflix app on my TiVo Bolt or Sony blu-ray player. ARC works on all TV apps that I've tried so far, Netflix, HULU, YouTube, etc.

HTH

TIA

Homer

·
Registered
552 Posts
And that would be within VISA right, but at this point they would not be able to replace it (they cannot purchase it) and no one can get parts. So far the ones who used Discover have not had a problem.
I decided to submit a claim on the TV due to no that that there's no Dolby Vision as promised (unless you go Chinese FW. Also, randomly the TV will power off on its own. Might happen once a week, or less not sure why. I bought the TV on Amazon last November when there were still a bunch available, so I called Discover the week before the anniversary. They put in the claim, but did mention that it might have to go thru Amazon. I just received a letter from Discover saying they decided in my favor and issued a full refund. I did have square trade as well but think that because it was still under factory, they approved the claim.

2961 - 2980 of 3244 Posts