AVS Forum banner

3221 - 3240 of 3243 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
She Lives!, She Lives! What a saga!

Botched a firmware change in late January. Ordered a Mstar ISP tool (about $20) and a replacement motherboard (about $200). ISP tool received in late March, but unsuccessful in figuring out how to use to flash motherboard. New motherboard received earlier this week. About 77 screws of assorted types and sizes to get the back off of the TV! In goes the new motherboard, and after resetting all connectors after an initial blank screen (no video), we're back in business.

Remains a great TV, but will keep comparable Sony XBR X900F in family room and let daughter figure out how to get the uMax85 out of the garage and into her family room.

It's been quite the adventure! Will now just ease back into lurking mode.

·
Registered
551 Posts

Botched a firmware change in late January. Ordered a Mstar ISP tool (about $20) and a replacement motherboard (about $200). ISP tool received in late March, but unsuccessful in figuring out how to use to flash motherboard. New motherboard received earlier this week. About 77 screws of assorted types and sizes to get the back off of the TV! In goes the new motherboard, and after resetting all connectors after an initial blank screen (no video), we're back in business.

Remains a great TV, but will keep comparable Sony XBR X900F in family room and let daughter figure out how to get the uMax85 out of the garage and into her family room.

Awesome news!
I'm trying to figure out a strategy for moving mine this weekend.
A 7 foot television down 3 sets of stairs and back up another set....

If it doesn't survive, not easy to replace.

·
Registered
251 Posts

That is good news, especially for your daughter! But, come on now...Surely you're not going to leave figuring out how to move and hook this beast up to your daughter? That's what we dads think, but we always come through for our sweet baby girls!

·
Registered
26 Posts
After 2 years of owning the TV, I finally discovered how to get HDR working consistently on it. I have the TV attached to a Yamaha TSR 7810 and mainly use it with an 4k firetv attached to the receiver. I had to do the following:
1) Set TV's 4k Signal format to [email protected] (Settings --> Inputs --> Format Settings: HDMI 4K signal Format)
2) Set 4K FireTV Display settings to following:
Video Resolution: Auto (up to 4k Ultra HD)
Match Original Frame Rate: On
Color Depth: Up to 10 bits
Color Format: Auto
3) Set Yamaha TSR 7810 to Video Mode --> Processing --> Resolution --> Through

Now to actually get HDR to kick in, I have to start playing something in HDR from the firestick (usually just go to netflix and play an HDR movie). Then with the HDR video running, turn TV off and then back on and it will be locked on HDR mode. Alternatively, I can also cast an HDR video to the firestick from my phone and it should turn the TV on and be in HDR mode, but with the CEC on the TV also being buggy, it doesn't always auto turn on when I start casting to the firetv. The cool thing is, even once I stop the HDR movie and play something with a lower resolution, the TV will stay locked into HDR. I think the bug with it not auto switching into and out of HDR mode actually helps us out here! It looks like HDR mode goes away if you change inputs, turn it off, or go into settings. Now I just need to find some good HDR video calibration settings because the colors are way too intense in HDR mode.

Maybe others already knew this trick but I was never able to get it working consistently before. I know a lot of people use an Apple TV 4k with the Chinese firmware to stay locked into DV mode but I decided against messing with the firmware because I use OTA broadcast channels (actually bought the apple TV still sitting new in box..lol).

I had actually been considering going the same route as @mikemav and trying to get a refund from my credit card company because the inconsistent washed out picture was really starting to bug me. But maybe this will hold me over now...I have until Feb 2021 to file a claim so still might.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Greetings,

Can someone tell me why the MB goes out? Second. Can someone post where can I order one. I love this TV. Works great, I want to have a back up MB.

Thank you

·
Registered
127 Posts
Greetings,

Can someone tell me why the MB goes out? Second. Can someone post where can I order one. I love this TV. Works great, I want to have a back up MB.

Thank you
Motherboards are generally quite reliable, but they do contain many components, and all it takes is one to fail to mess things up. I've gone through a couple on computers over the years and never been able to pin failure on a specific event. A power surge/spike or nearby lighting strike would be good candidates for cause of failure.

Motherboards on TVs are no different. The most frequent reason for replacing the motherboard on a LeEco TV is bricking of the TV by improper loading of firmware. It is technically possible to write the necessary firmware back on a motherboard to restore it after such a mishap, but I was unsuccessful in figuring out how to do it, or in finding anyone that had the necessary knowledge. Some things learned in the factory stay in the factory! At the time I bricked my TV I was also experiencing a HDMI handshake problem with one piece of equipment, which could have been hardware related, and was changing firmware to see if that made a difference.

Good new is replacements can be found. Taobao.com was my source (LeTV UMAX85US original motherboard MS6A938_MBD_E_H3100 TD.MS6A938.793C), about $180 plus shipping. Navigating and purchasing from a Chinese website can be a challenge at times, but can be done. Not all credit cards will work, and shipping arrangements may not be clear, but you can work through it.

If you're not into doing stupid stuff to your TV (rooting and the like), I wouldn't worry about getting a spare motherboard. Just sit back and enjoy it, like my daughter is now doing with mine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Motherboards are generally quite reliable, but they do contain many components, and all it takes is one to fail to mess things up. I've gone through a couple on computers over the years and never been able to pin failure on a specific event. A power surge/spike or nearby lighting strike would be good candidates for cause of failure.

Motherboards on TVs are no different. The most frequent reason for replacing the motherboard on a LeEco TV is bricking of the TV by improper loading of firmware. It is technically possible to write the necessary firmware back on a motherboard to restore it after such a mishap, but I was unsuccessful in figuring out how to do it, or in finding anyone that had the necessary knowledge. Some things learned in the factory stay in the factory! At the time I bricked my TV I was also experiencing a HDMI handshake problem with one piece of equipment, which could have been hardware related, and was changing firmware to see if that made a difference.

Good new is replacements can be found. Taobao.com was my source (LeTV UMAX85US original motherboard MS6A938_MBD_E_H3100 TD.MS6A938.793C), about $180 plus shipping. Navigating and purchasing from a Chinese website can be a challenge at times, but can be done. Not all credit cards will work, and shipping arrangements may not be clear, but you can work through it.

If you're not into doing stupid stuff to your TV (rooting and the like), I wouldn't worry about getting a spare motherboard. Just sit back and enjoy it, like my daughter is now doing with mine.
Thank you.

I love this tv. I did a firmware 2 years ago.. and its always been working. Sometimes some android apps fails, but I disable them if there is no update, SLING TV works great... and my HTPC loves the connection , 4k HDR works, and so does 3D.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've taken for granted how good this TV actually is. Been watching movies in HDR and DV, which I think looks great. I've also broken out the 3D movies, which I haven't watched in a while and the display works flawlessly. Add in Dolby Atmos and it's a premier viewing experience. I'm still loving this set and my setup and I hope it lasts for years to come!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've taken for granted how good this TV actually is. Been watching movies in HDR and DV, which I think looks great. I've also broken out the 3D movies, which I haven't watched in a while and the display works flawlessly. Add in Dolby Atmos and it's a premier viewing experience. I'm still loving this set and my setup and I hope it lasts for years to come!

I keep waiting for a TV (or projector) to beat it. Nothing comes close at any reasonable price point, especially with the mix of Dolby Vision and 3D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,231
Here is what SquareTrade is offering as replacements for my dying UMax85

So my UMax85 TV has started a long slow death spiral related to the panel not lighting fully and failing to draw parts of the screen.
When it works it's still an amazing picture. But when it fails it's unusable.

I filed my claim with SquareTrade and they approved the replacement, but I'm not sure these "replacements" will even come close.
I didn't expect to recoup the $4000 I paid, and the TV did outlast its 2 year warranty. In fact, it's still mostly usable (for now).

Here is what SquareTrade is offering as replacements:
LG 86UM8070PUA (or LG 86UM8070AUB)

and

Samsung UN85TU8000FXZA

I'm still building a comparison table of all the specs, but I figured I'd ask for input from you fine folks as to whether these replacements are likely to disappoint.

What do you think?
Should I push for a better replacement?
Do you have any experience with SquareTrade you care to share?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Strange that it is an on and off problem. No experience with Square trade, but a Sony 900F would be what I would want (and bought while waiting for parts). Other than no 3D, impossible to tell the difference in performance or picture quality.

·
Registered
176 Posts
So my UMax85 TV has started a long slow death spiral related to the panel not lighting fully and failing to draw parts of the screen.

I filed my claim with SquareTrade and they approved the replacement, but I'm not sure these "replacements" will even come close.
I didn't expect to recoup the $4000 I paid, and the TV did outlast its 2 year warranty. In fact, it's still mostly usable (for now).

and

Samsung UN85TU8000FXZA

I'm still building a comparison table of all the specs, but I figured I'd ask for input from you fine folks as to whether these replacements are likely to disappoint.

What do you think?
The biggest issue I would have with both of those is that they are edge lit tvs. I think you are certainly getting a downgrade.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,234
Strange that it is an on and off problem. No experience with Square trade, but a Sony 900F would be what I would want (and bought while waiting for parts). Other than no 3D, impossible to tell the difference in performance or picture quality.

Thanks, Tim. Yeah, it's strange alright.

There are pictures and video of it here if you're curious: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10mbRKIC4aqWVpVPkoVKRiOsO_iXYEQAc?usp=sharing

It started last year and has been doing this once a month until recently. Now it's doing it every day. It does fix itself eventually, but that usually takes anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour of use.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,235
The biggest issue I would have with both of those is that they are edge lit tvs. I think you are certainly getting a downgrade.
Yep. I noticed that too.

·
Registered
127 Posts

and

Samsung UN85TU8000FXZA

What do you think?
I assume SquareTrade will take care of you.

If they don't haul away your uMax85, and you want to play: If not already done, do a factory reset and reinstalled firmware. That could resolve a software issue. My next step would be to reset all connectors on the T-CON (timing controller) board, which is the probable source of a hardware problem. That's a pain because of all the screws involved in removing the back panel, with not all obvious. Would resolve a bad connection problem. Last resort would be to find a replacement T-CON board. They're probably out there and not too expensive.

Enjoy

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,237
I assume SquareTrade will take care of you.

If they don't haul away your uMax85, and you want to play: If not already done, do a factory reset and reinstalled firmware. That could resolve a software issue. My next step would be to reset all connectors on the T-CON (timing controller) board, which is the probable source of a hardware problem. That's a pain because of all the screws involved in removing the back panel, with not all obvious. Would resolve a bad connection problem. Last resort would be to find a replacement T-CON board. They're probably out there and not too expensive.

Enjoy
Good info there. Thanks!
They didn't say whether they would take the UMAX85. I hope they don't.

Here's what happened so far.
I told them that the replacements they suggested are not close enough to my TV and listed the lack of local dimming, the lack of Dolby Vision, the lower bit depth, and the Contrast Ratio things that needed to be better (there are lots of other differences, but these make the most difference to me). I suggested that they go with the Samsung QN85Q80T.

They countered with the LG 86SM9070PUA which is a pretty close TV.

If I planned to keep this TV, I would definitely push for more, but I plan to sell this and go back to using a projector. After all, the only reason I bought the UMAX85 was that there were no 4K projectors even close to the $4000 price range and the UMAX picture quality at that time. Thankfully that has changed.

I think I can recoup $2500 by selling the LG replacement TV. I can then use that money to reduce the cost of a new projector with all the features I really want.

As for the UMAX85, well I'll see if they take it and then decide.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm so happy to have never had to file a SQ~TRD Claim but was worthwhile peace-of-mind.

Many threads on others dealing with them and customers seem satisfied, all report having to negotiate beyond their first offer.

It's SQ's option but it would seem that a cash settlement would work best in your situation or anyone wanting to add some of their own funds for a better outcome. Lack of 3D availability at any reasonable cost might make best case for this. No idea if it's available at any cost but if so, or not; it would make your settlement most logical.

I'm sure you'll get to keep the old TV if you want, just considering cost of carting and disposing of it. :cool:
Art

·
Registered
551 Posts

If I planned to keep this TV, I would definitely push for more, but I plan to sell this and go back to using a projector. After all, the only reason I bought the UMAX85 was that there were no 4K projectors even close to the $4000 price range and the UMAX picture quality at that time. Thankfully that has changed.

Thanks again!
Just curious - which projector do you think now matches the UMAX picture quality in this range?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,240
Just curious - which projector do you think now matches the UMAX picture quality in this range?

Great question. Sadly I don't have an answer yet. I have a lot of research to do first.

Just to be clear, I don't think any projector in any price range could entirely match this or other TVs. TVs with the right hardware will always do better with certain image elements such as specular highlighting. It's just the nature of the beast. They are like apples to oranges. Example: This UMax85 can actually make me squint into the sun or a flashlight in a dark scene. No projector has ever done that for me.

Fortunately for me, I don't have the same expectations of a projector as I do of a TV. What I need is a projector that will give me a great theater-like experience. That much is very doable with most of the projectors out there in the $2500 to $5000 range.

4 years ago that was not the case. :)

3221 - 3240 of 3243 Posts