AVS Forum banner

681 - 700 of 3243 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Same. I got the TV about 3 months back, and its been glorious. Love the 4K resolution, dont mind if i have to wait for hdr and dolby vision, atleast i have a great 4k tv in 85" for a damn good price.
I wanted a 75"+ TV ideally 80" in 4K for a price that wont break the bank. And with this TV i got more than what i asked for.

I have picked up the calibration settings posted on this thread, and switched off the motion so no soap opera effect.
So far there is nothing much I can complain about. Everyone who walks into the house is stunned at the PQ.
I just hope the TV lasts for a good 6-7 years and I think its well worth the money invested.
You don't by any chance remember which page those are on do you? lol

·
Registered
843 Posts
The settings are on the first page posted by legolad credits to @daniel17693
Everything of that, except that i turned the Motion to Off for removing soap opera effect.
@Eric Van Boven I'd love to have all of the features LeEco promised us, the HDR and dobly vision is surely amazing.. But at the current stage with all the chaos surrounding LeEco I doubt they have a team of developers working round the clock trying to push through new releases.
Lets keep the faith that an electronic company either from China or Korea salvages the brand, and we can get our updates by next year.
Keeping the hopes alive i am living a pure 4K dream on a giant screen. My wife completely forgot about that investment we made for this TV, the msrp /w discount surely did not hurt our bank statement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Okay, I have an update, which is no update. I called late last week and LeEco still has no word on Dolby Vision via HDMI and Streaming. Frustrating. Please call them to complain. I'm done with LeEco, my warranty is almost up and no DV, not acceptable. I'm doing something about this now, I'm done waiting.

I called LeEco today and after 2 months:
They still have no update or timeline re: Dolby Vision via HDMI and Streaming firmware updates

This is getting ridiculous, we have a TV that is advertized with DV and has DV written on the TV, BUT really has no DV capability. They have no timeline and I told them I would call back in another 6 weeks, but my patience with LeEco is wearing very thin.

What should we do???

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well, it took them from 8/15 to 10/09 to swap out my TV for the pixel being out. New TV has not pixels out! I went to bug them about the Dolby Vision and regardless of what browser I use the chat button shows up at first then vanishes as the page finishes loading. This happening to anyone else?

As for the XESS X6, it is now released. You can order it but you have to have it shipped yourself as it is not yet released in the US. Unfortunately, the price is the equivalent of 15,183.34. So, I'll be hoping LeEco gets their **** together for at least their TVs. It looks like this is still the best deal out there.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Okay, I have an update, which is no update. I called late last week and LeEco still has no word on Dolby Vision via HDMI and Streaming. Frustrating. Please call them to complain. I'm done with LeEco, my warranty is almost up and no DV, not acceptable. I'm doing something about this now, I'm done waiting.
Following your lead, I wrote a complaint regarding lack of DolbyVision to customer support (with no response) and I also called to no avail. I asked them, how can you continue to actively sell Umax 85s labeled with DolbyVision on its frame, and not support it? Apparently, this was a rhetorical question.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Just got a written response from Le Eco support. No surprise, unfortunately.

Thank you for contacting LeEco Support. I would be more than happy to assist you with information regarding an update for your TV. At this time, we don't have confirmation for a firmware update to unlock the DolbyVision feature you are missing. Once we have more information on this update, you will be notified.

If you have any other questions or concerns, you can reach us at 1-855-533-2622 from Mon-Fri, 8:00am - 4:30pm PST.

Best Regards,
Liliana M
LeEco Support

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I'm sure firmware is of their least concerns. They are just trying to keep the lights on.

https://twitter.com/richardlai/status/902022809324404736/photo/1

LeEco's-silicon-valley-offices-are-a-virtual-ghost-town
With all due respect, all UMax85 owners on this thread are well aware of of LeEco’s woes. They are still selling these tvs with DolbyVision displayed on the front of its frame and advertising this feature on LeMall website. They may be restructuring and running a barebones operation presently, but owners contacting and pressuring them regarding a firmware update only requires a few technical engineers. Additionally, being proactive rather than passively waiting for them to get around to firmware updates, may help us get this desired feature along with streaming HDR support through external devices. After that, I don’t think many of us care as much about their future viability. That’s my take, anyway.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
With all due respect, all UMax85 owners on this thread are well aware of of LeEco’s woes. They are still selling these tvs with DolbyVision displayed on the front of its frame and advertising this feature on LeMall website. They may be restructuring and running a barebones operation presently, but owners contacting and pressuring them regarding a firmware update only requires a few technical engineers. Additionally, being proactive rather than passively waiting for them to get around to firmware updates, may help us get this desired feature along with streaming HDR support through external devices. After that, I don’t think many of us care as much about their future viability. That’s my take, anyway.
Very good statement, and all you can do is continue to email and contact them. My thoughts are just not to expect miracles. From what I was told from a very good source, the firmware isn't designed here, and it's done their global location, not in USA, which was done from what I was told. Hopefully the few engineers they have here can come up with something. It would be easier from them to have Vizio update their software which could probably be done in the same day.

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts
Just got a written response from Le Eco support. No surprise, unfortunately.

Thank you for contacting LeEco Support. I would be more than happy to assist you with information regarding an update for your TV. At this time, we don't have confirmation for a firmware update to unlock the DolbyVision feature you are missing. Once we have more information on this update, you will be notified.

If you have any other questions or concerns, you can reach us at 1-855-533-2622 from Mon-Fri, 8:00am - 4:30pm PST.

Best Regards,
Liliana M
LeEco Support
Hi Snpanago,

I don't have a dog in this, but I almost did and backed out last minuet. So since then I have followed this thread and hoping LeEco would do/provide what they sold/advertised. I was reading your quote from the LeEco Service Tech and found the wording he/she used interesting.

Specifically the term "Firmware update to UNLOCK the Dolby Vision feature". My immediate thought, wrong or right, was they have not paid Dolby Labs the required Licensing Fee to Unlock the DV Chip/software that may already exists in the TV? This line of thought goes hand in hand, with the public knowledge of their Cash Flow crunch. I am grasping at straws here. But the terminology used does make one think. Unlock what?

Further thought if this Unlocking Fee is the real issue. Perhaps some community pressure on Dolby Labs to possibly permit each owner the ability and/or option to purchase an individual Unlock License? What the heck right? Might get traction. Dolby is involved, they did partner with LeEco and allowed Branding Usage. An entirely different tack here, but since it seems little is being done at LeEco. If I owned a set I would be considering writing to Dolby Labs, sending them Pictures of their Branding Use and asking for help. After all, this is in a slight way, tarnishing Dolby Labs reputation.

Good Luck Guys and Gals. I really hope this gets satisfactorily resolved.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hi Snpanago,

I don't have a dog in this, but I almost did and backed out last minuet. So since then I have followed this thread and hoping LeEco would do/provide what they sold/advertised. I was reading your quote from the LeEco Service Tech and found the wording he/she used interesting.

Specifically the term "Firmware update to UNLOCK the Dolby Vision feature". My immediate thought, wrong or right, was they have not paid Dolby Labs the required Licensing Fee to Unlock the DV Chip/software that may already exists in the TV? This line of thought goes hand in hand, with the public knowledge of their Cash Flow crunch. I am grasping at straws here. But the terminology used does make one think. Unlock what?

Further thought if this Unlocking Fee is the real issue. Perhaps some community pressure on Dolby Labs to possibly permit each owner the ability and/or option to purchase an individual Unlock License? What the heck right? Might get traction. Dolby is involved, they did partner with LeEco and allowed Branding Usage. An entirely different tack here, but since it seems little is being done at LeEco. If I owned a set I would be considering writing to Dolby Labs, sending them Pictures of their Branding Use and asking for help. After all, this is in a slight way, tarnishing Dolby Labs reputation.

Good Luck Guys and Gals. I really hope this gets satisfactorily resolved.
Thanks for constructive advice from a non-owner. I appreciate this different angle of approaching our issues with the UMax85. I will explore the Dolby licensing avenue to see if this leads anywhere. I am not knowledgeable about software or firmware intricacies, but previously, support from LeEco mentioned that DolbyVision upgrade would need to coincide with the Android Nougat upgrade. How that affects things, I don’t know. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I thought they stuck a fork in the LeEco co? Must still be holding on somehow
A big fork.

My thoughts are just not to expect miracles. From what I was told from a very good source, the firmware isn't designed here, and it's done their global location, not in USA, which was done from what I was told. Hopefully the few engineers they have here can come up with something. It would be easier from them to have Vizio update their software which could probably be done in the same day.
Some more insight to what I was saying about everything being controlled from global location (who doesn't let them do much of anything except have people their for show it indicates, but now just a few people left in CA...)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
LOL. I don’t know what type of person it is that elects to post doom and gloom on an owners’ thread from afar. We’re trying to collaborate on issues on our purchases like all owners’ threads on AVS forum. Is this the type of person that is referred as a troll? Or, perhaps it’s a person who spent 10 to 20 grand on a major brand tv with similar features (from manufacturers with no intention of ever having DolbyVision and or 3D), and is trying to feel better about a colossal waste of money?

Whatever.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
LOL. I don’t know what type of person it is that elects to post doom and gloom on an owners’ thread from afar. We’re trying to collaborate on issues on our purchases like all owners’ threads on AVS forum. Is this the type of person that is referred as a troll? Or, perhaps it’s a person who spent 10 to 20 grand on a major brand tv with similar features (from manufacturers with no intention of ever having DolbyVision and or 3D), and is trying to feel better about a colossal waste of money?

Whatever.
Before you call someone a troll, research... I said I had some inside info and was only trying to provide it about what's going on and why things are taking so long.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Before you call someone a troll, research... I said I had some inside info and was only trying to provide it about what's going on and why things are taking so long.
My apologies. Thank you for trying to help. There have been random snipers posting in this thread that pile on for buying this tv. I guess I’m defensive at this point and my radar for helpful non owners isn’t good.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am considering buying a UMax85. It has the features and size I want at an affordable price. I know LeEco seems to be going belly up and do not expect any support on the TV. Is the lack of Dolby Vision the only issue with the TV? Does 3D work? Do the apps work? I am specifically interested in Netflix, Amazon and Vudu. Is the latest firmware available anywhere? Anything else I should know before I decide to jump on this apparently sinking ship? Am I crazy for even considering the purchase?

Thanks,

Martin

·
Registered
200 Posts
I am considering buying a UMax85. It has the features and size I want at an affordable price. I know LeEco seems to be going belly up and do not expect any support on the TV. Is the lack of Dolby Vision the only issue with the TV? Does 3D work? Do the apps work? I am specifically interested in Netflix, Amazon and Vudu. Is the latest firmware available anywhere? Anything else I should know before I decide to jump on this apparently sinking ship? Am I crazy for even considering the purchase?

Thanks,

Martin
Do not bother buying it. It is a very nice tv but not worth it with the state of affairs (basically you get a 4k hdr tv that can be grainy with built in apps). If Le Eco fixes the issues it will be a great tv but for this price you really expect to be able to use what is advertised ON THE TV. Dolby Vision may never come for the built in tv apps. So you think oh okay I will just buy a box like Apple TV well then you run into the hdmi hdr washout issue where you launch say a 4k hdr title on netflix and the screen is 100% bright and colors look ****. I could easily live without the dolby vision if they would just fix the hdmi bug but that is a HUGE bug. Oh and no amazon by default. You have to sideload it (can be tricky and who knows how long that will last).

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Do not bother buying it. It is a very nice tv but not worth it with the state of affairs (basically you get a 4k hdr tv that can be grainy with built in apps). If Le Eco fixes the issues it will be a great tv but for this price you really expect to be able to use what is advertised ON THE TV. Dolby Vision may never come for the built in tv apps. So you think oh okay I will just buy a box like Apple TV well then you run into the hdmi hdr washout issue where you launch say a 4k hdr title on netflix and the screen is 100% bright and colors look ****. I could easily live without the dolby vision if they would just fix the hdmi bug but that is a HUGE bug. Oh and no amazon by default. You have to sideload it (can be tricky and who knows how long that will last).
Do you think that any of the HDFury products might fix the HDMI bug? I don’t know enough to understand why the tv can display HDR via HDMI connected to a UHD disc player but not to a streaming box. Is that an HDMI bug or a streaming box-UMax incompatibility issue?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thanks,

Martin
Martin,

I would say yes if you can buy the uMax85 for the Black Friday price of $3999. To the best of my knowledge no other TV comes close to the uMax85 448 active local dimming zones with full array backlighting. 3D is outstanding and I have not had any issues with the NetFlix and Vudu apps.

If you're interested COSTCO and Sam's Club are selling the 82" Samsung UN82MU800D for $3,779.99 and $3,778.00 respectively. It's only LED edge backlight.

Hope this helps.

681 - 700 of 3243 Posts