AVS Forum banner

921 - 940 of 3243 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
That would do it! Are you then doing audio optical out from the TV to the AVR? It'd be a bummer to have to choose between HDR video and not-built-in audio.

Let us know how it works!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Thankfully, my UHD BD player - Sony UBP-X800 - has dual HDMI outs, #1 carries video directly to the TV and #2 carries audio only directly to the AVR. No need for an optical out from the TV to the AVR for that purpose, though I did make such a connection so I can get audio from the TV apps through the AVR.

EDIT: Direct HDMI connection from the player to the TV enables HDR playback from both discs and streaming apps, although cycling through the HDMI inputs - all two of them now - is still required to get the TV to switch into HDR mode. Definitely not the end of the world, but it'd be really nice if LeEco China could throw us a bone and kick out a US firmware update to fix this....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks I will try this when I get home

Fyi here is an example of a clip i watched on YouTube. I see faint white vertical lines when the ice is shown and camera is moving

https://youtu.be/L9QmzB6bSD0
I have this issue too. Even had my first one replaced for this problem but the new one had the same issue. I'm still overall happy with the tv but it is a drawback for sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to Devon and the rest of you guys for posting so many detailed, recent experiences unboxing and setting up. This thread gave me enough confidence in the success potential of the purchase to make the leap and participate in the probable last big round of liquidation going on with MallStop.

The order is guessing my delivery sometime between the 16th and the 21st (who knows who I will actually end up coordinating the delivery with), so I'm looking forward to staying tuned in here while I join the club!
Could not agree more. Just placed the order on Amazon via MallStop with the SquareTrade protection plan. I'll post updates on the delivery process and setup as they come.

·
Registered
13 Posts
thank you all for the replies about my hockey vertical banding question. I'm just relieved it is not my tv. it is very faint and barely noticeable--something I can definitely live with.

Unfortunately I have two new issues that came up recently so curious to hear thoughts on these:

ISSUE #1

I have watched about 30 hours of tv on my umax85 so far. this issue just came up TODAY (of course when I had guests over for Sunday night football). it actually happened 3 separate times. YouTube TV froze for a second and then said it lost signal with umax85. umax85 then disconnected from my wifi. I tried to forget network and then reconnect to wifi on umax85, but it said my wifi password was wrong (even though it was correct). I couldn't unplug my tv because it is wall mounted so I had to do a factory reset (which removes all my settings and downloaded apps!). When the umax85 rebooted, I connected to wifi successfully and youtube tv (and other wifi apps) worked again. This happend TWO more times and I had to do two more factory resets to fix it. FYI I have a wifi extender, I have 4 Google Wifis throughout my home and one of them is directly under my umax85. When I do speedtest on my cell phone near the tv I get about 30Mbps download/upload. Thoughts??? This is such a pain in the @#% to keep doing a factory reset!

ISSUE #2
I recently found a great deal on the 43" LeEco tvs ($300 per tv) so I bought one. If I haven't watched the tv for awhile, when I go to turn it on from the remote and hit the power button, the tv does not turn on. The light on the tv is red so I know it's getting power. to turn the tv on, I have to unplug the tv then plug it back in. When I hit power on the remote the tv now turns on. if I want to turn it off and turn it back on again it works fine. However, if I turn it off then come back in a half hour or more, the power on doesn't work again. I have to unplug the tv then plug it back on and then the remote will work again. Thoughts???

thanks everyone, it's great to have this community to bounce questions off since we get no support at all from LeEco (I tried calling, no answer, and their mailbox was full so I couldn't leave a message...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Delivery Question

The freight company just called to schedule delivery for Thursday, and they asked to make sure there would be room for a "semi" truck to fit in the neighborhood. Unfortunately there's no way a semi will fit in my small private neighborhood. A firetruck is about the biggest vehicle that could possibly navigate the narrow road / 90 degree turns.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on this? Perhaps some prior experience?

·
Registered
3 Posts
thank you all for the replies about my hockey vertical banding question. I'm just relieved it is not my tv. it is very faint and barely noticeable--something I can definitely live with.

Unfortunately I have two new issues that came up recently so curious to hear thoughts on these:
I have a 43" LeEco Super4 as my PC monitor

I've also had the wifi connection problem like you described but no where near as frequent as what you've experienced (probably 5-6 times total and i've had this thing for about 1 year now). Instead of unplugging or factory resetting the TV, you can try just holding down the power button on the remote for a few seconds to completely shutdown the TV and turning it back on again.

I've also had issues with turning the TV on and off sometimes, but my problem are due to the 2 infrared laser sensors for my VR system

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got an earlier-than-expected call today for delivery tomorrow in the Seattle area; they're shipping pretty fast, given I just ordered on Thursday!

Mount arrived from Amazon today and now I have a nice, empty wall awaiting its new adornment.

Now, the real question that I wasn't expecting to have to figure out until next week: what's the best content to really test everything out with UHD and HDR? I'm going to need to get something to play bluray discs, I think!

·
Registered
309 Posts
The freight company just called to schedule delivery for Thursday, and they asked to make sure there would be room for a "semi" truck to fit in the neighborhood. Unfortunately there's no way a semi will fit in my small private neighborhood. A firetruck is about the biggest vehicle that could possibly navigate the narrow road / 90 degree turns.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on this? Perhaps some prior experience?
If your freight company is ABF then you're probably going to have to push back on them and get Mallstop involved. ABF delivered my TV, and yes it was in a full-sized 18-wheeler with a lift gate equipped trailer that was 98% empty so maybe that's the only rolling stock they have? It made it into my neighborhood ok, but definitely could not have navigated some of the tight cul-de-sacs around here; the driver was smart enough to figure that out and backed the truck down our street to our house so he could pull straight back out again to leave.

But really, I don't think this is your problem...the freight company (whichever one) is under a contractual obligation with Mallstop to deliver the TV to your house, and it's their responsibility to figure out how to do that. Definitely be honest about the streets in your 'hood and access to your house so they can evaluate their equipment needs, but if they balk at all contact Mallstop directly and have them deal with it. I found Mallstop to be very responsive when I contacted them about my issues with ABF so hopefully they'll be able to work this out too. Good luck!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Got an earlier-than-expected call today for delivery tomorrow in the Seattle area; they're shipping pretty fast, given I just ordered on Thursday!

Mount arrived from Amazon today and now I have a nice, empty wall awaiting its new adornment.

Now, the real question that I wasn't expecting to have to figure out until next week: what's the best content to really test everything out with UHD and HDR? I'm going to need to get something to play bluray discs, I think!
As soon as you get the set installed and hooked up, you can stream UHD HDR content right off the TV's Netflix app (assuming your Netflix subscription includes that stuff), that's definitely the fastest way to see what this thing can do. But, to really see it shine, I think you need to invest in a good UHD Blu-ray player that can handle HDR (I have a Sony UBP-X800 and like it a lot but there are several good options available at a variety of price points), make sure you're using Premium Certified High-Speed HMDI cables for all connections (I use Monoprice great value and performance), and grab yourself some Ultra4K HDR Blu-ray discs...streaming content is nice and convenient but will never match the quality of a native 4K-mastered disc coming off a good player. Just make sure to change the setting for the HDMI inputs on the TV from the default "Standard" to "4K Compatible" and understand that you might need to do the trick of cycling through the HDMI inputs while the disc is playing to get the TV to pick up the HDR signal and switch into HDR mode. The Shallows looks spectacular on this TV! Have fun!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ok so I've seen a few people say they use this mount https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HYMPFOI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but then someone said don't use that use this mount https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BWIBZA/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1JHXNTHRB2151

The first one says it supports 176lbs. So is the first one not compatible? I mean if something happens to the TV and I have to go through squaretrade will they blame the mount?
I just finished hurting my back schlepping that giant ass box up my steep driveway. The package is no joke kids.
Amazon/Mallstop free shipping is curb only. They don't do stairs.

Related note: I'm using the Fixed wall mount with no tilt, we'll see how it handles 142 lbs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just arrived via 'Best Overnite Express' (ordered Thursday) and succeeded in getting it set up. So far, so good; 0420 firmware is at 25% and counting.

I was a little alarmed when the attached was the first thing I saw, but a little creativity with the Microsoft Translate app got me to the language settings easily enough :)

Zero problems with the hardware do far
I'm.. not sure what I'm going to do with all this cardboard now. I'm pretty sure I could package a car in here.

And yes, the cat is already enjoying it, as expected.

I used a 160lb rated mount for 80" TVs and it seems to be doing pretty well.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Guys thanks for sharing all the pictures and info. I think I'm going to take the plunge and order one of these. Does anyone know of a good TV stand (not mount) that could accommodate a TV of this size? I'm not too fond of wall mounts and want to use the 3D in this a lot. Gracias!

·
Registered
551 Posts
THANK YOU to all of the pioneers in this thread. Your contributions here led me to buy one and my first impressions are FANTASTIC.
The firmware updated online, no issues. I was stressing that one.

Here is a quick list of issues it erased from my Sony 940d sitting behind it.
1) Smear issue is gone. Line art would trail when moving on the Sony.
2) 3D kicks much ass. The Sony had trouble focusing completely top to bottom, LeEco nails the image... even using Sony glasses which amused me.
3) It's huge and bright and beautiful. No sacrifice of inky blacks which was my primary concern.

Things left to test - Harmony remote integration, see how it treats Dolby Vision discs, and I'm going to black out the silver bezel.
Thanks again for all assistance!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I do have a question about Dolby Vision...
I read here that it "doesn't do it over HDMI". Wasn't a deal breaker, but whatever.

So I have the Fast 8 UHD which says Dolby Vision on the package. It plays from my Sony UHD player, the TV switches over to HDR, the picture looks stunning and colorful.
How do we know if something is using Dolby Vision or not? Seems to be doing the job so I'm confused.

·
Registered
24 Posts
THANK YOU to all of the pioneers in this thread. Your contributions here led me to buy one and my first impressions are FANTASTIC.
The firmware updated online, no issues. I was stressing that one.

Here is a quick list of issues it erased from my Sony 940d sitting behind it.
1) Smear issue is gone. Line art would trail when moving on the Sony.
2) 3D kicks much ass. The Sony had trouble focusing completely top to bottom, LeEco nails the image... even using Sony glasses which amused me.
3) It's huge and bright and beautiful. No sacrifice of inky blacks which was my primary concern.

Things left to test - Harmony remote integration, see how it treats Dolby Vision discs, and I'm going to black out the silver bezel.
Thanks again for all assistance!
That's great to hear about the 3D. Out of curiosity, did you wall mount it or put it on a stand? I've been concerned about the alignment right for 3D as I want to use this TV for my main 3D source.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I do have a question about Dolby Vision..
I read here that it "doesn't do it over HDMI". Wasn't a deal breaker, but whatever.

So I have the Fast 8 UHD which says Dolby Vision on the package. It plays from my Sony UHD player, the TV switches over to HDR, the picture looks stunning and colorful.
How do we know if something is using Dolby Vision or not? Seems to be doing the job so I'm confused.
HDR10 is stunning in and of itself. However, if we’re going to see DolbyVision, the logo seen on the upper left of this link will appear briefly on your screen: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/index.html

·
Registered
309 Posts
Guys thanks for sharing all the pictures and info. I think I'm going to take the plunge and order one of these. Does anyone know of a good TV stand (not mount) that could accommodate a TV of this size? I'm not too fond of wall mounts and want to use the 3D in this a lot. Gracias!
Several months ago we bought a huge entertainment console and hutch as part of our new living room furniture...I figured it would accommodate any 80-85" panel or even a screen if I decided to go the projector route. Thankfully, the uMax85 fits perfectly! Short of lucking out with something like this, I think you just need to search for something that's wide and deep enough to fit the legs and strong enough to bear the weight. One of the early posters on this thread, maybe even the gentleman who started it, suggested hand-building two pillars at whatever height you liked and then finding a console unit that would fit between the pillars and under the TV...that could be a very cool solution too. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
I do have a question about Dolby Vision...

Looking at the packaging for the Fast 8 Ultra 4k disc it does say that it has both HDR10 and DV, so I have to assume the TV is showing you HDR10. Also, I'm not aware of any current Sony UHD player that is DV compatible...I have the UBP-X800 (which handles HDR10 beautifully) and there was a great deal of speculation, fueled by Sony's own statements, that it would get DV compatibility through a future firmware update. Everything I've read recently though seems to confirm that no such update is forthcoming and might not even be technically possible given the hardware. The same, apparently, is true for the UBP-X1000ES. What Sony UHD player do you have?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Several months ago we bought a huge entertainment console and hutch as part of our new living room furniture...I figured it would accommodate any 80-85" panel or even a screen if I decided to go the projector route. Thankfully, the uMax85 fits perfectly! Short of lucking out with something like this, I think you just need to search for something that's wide and deep enough to fit the legs and strong enough to bear the weight. One of the early posters on this thread, maybe even the gentleman who started it, suggested hand-building two pillars at whatever height you liked and then finding a console unit that would fit between the pillars and under the TV...that could be a very cool solution too. Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. This will be the largest TV I've ever purchased, so I want to do everything I can to get it right. That unit you have it on looks great and seems the easily bear the weight of the TV. Have you tried the TV at that height? Does it look good without cross talk? That's my main concern overall. Thanks again! :)

921 - 940 of 3243 Posts