AVS Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 3244 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Sorry for the blow by blow narration. After the 6th attempt at powering off the tv manually on the lower left corner and going though the reset combination by remote, I've gladly seen AL Freaking Pacino!
I'll keep going and get back to you all.
Well, that was certainly exciting for me. I can report that Chris' firmware upgrade worked for me and I'm on to exploring DolbyVision and HDR10 programming. I have a Denon AVR that will be getting a DV firmware upgrade sometime this first quarter so for now, the Oppo-203 is connected directly to HDMI 2 of the tv and the second output from the player is connected to the AVR for audio. I have a DV disc that I can play and report back the DV functionality of the tv connected to my Oppo and I have a Roku Ultra for HDR and DV as well. Vudu (through the Roku) has titles that are available in DV so I'll check that in due time.
Thanks again to Chris and all who've pioneered Dolby Vision for our capable tvs. Now, on to color settings and calibration.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well, that was certainly exciting for me. I can report that Chris' firmware upgrade worked for me and I'm on to exploring DolbyVision and HDR10 programming. I have a Denon AVR that will be getting a DV firmware upgrade sometime this first quarter so for now, the Oppo-203 is connected directly to HDMI 2 of the tv and the second output from the player is connected to the AVR for audio. I have a DV disc that I can play and report back the DV functionality of the tv connected to my Oppo and I have a Roku Ultra for HDR and DV as well. Vudu (through the Roku) has titles that are available in DV so I'll check that in due time.
Thanks again to Chris and all who've pioneered Dolby Vision for our capable tvs. Now, on to color settings and calibration.
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did anybody try the 6.5 firmware ?
I'm going to update to the 6.0 firmware. If the rollback to the US 5.8 firmware works I may try the 6.5 firmware.

Martin

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Disney Wow disc is showing some interesting things with Chinese firmware.
I can’t get ideal black or white calibrated.
Once I push brightness past 62, no other squares appear.
I also can’t drop contrast low enough to get rid of “brighter than ideal” patterns.
Local Dimming on or off makes no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bennut, can’t find my Disney Wow disc:mad:. Could you share your preferences under whatever Mode you selected? Although the settings menu is now trim compared with US version allowing for calibration, there is no color option like Hue other than Saturation. Another observation is the 3D Auto On setting doesn’t seem to stay on so this should be kept in mind when wanting to watch a 3D program.
As others have stated, there isn’t any longer a quick start up mode without the Al Pacino video.
Colors are amazingly vivid, even in Movie Mode in for non-HDR/DV sources. Need to dial down settings in comparison to US settings.

·
Registered
167 Posts
KODI 4k?

In Kodi, if I go to Settings > System Settings > Display > General > Resolution, it shows up as 1920x1080p Resolution and Refresh Rate of 60.00.

Is there a way to change this? It's greyed out on mine so I can't actually highlight it or change it.

(US firmware, native Kodi app on the actual TV)

·
Registered
251 Posts
In Kodi, if I go to Settings > System Settings > Display > General > Resolution, it shows up as 1920x1080p Resolution and Refresh Rate of 60.00.

Is there a way to change this? It's greyed out on mine so I can't actually highlight it or change it.

(US firmware, native Kodi app on the actual TV)
What is Kodi? I've heard the name, but have no idea what it is.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Found new on CN firmware, fyi, a better audio option from the TV labeled: for Wall Mounted TV. The tv's sound was horrible on my wall mounted tv and I was surprised how much better this sound is. For me though, I only listen to audio through my AVR.

The picture, upscaled through my Denon as before, is so much sharper and defined than my similar setup prior to the FW upgrade. I almost thought low Motion was deployed but it is set to Off on all Picture Modes. I think a previous owner noted a similar subjective opinion.

I couldn't find my DV copy of Despicable Me (as well as my Disney WOW calibration disc)----casualties of my HT remodel disorganization---so I don't have an Oppo report with the new FW. Very few DV discs have been released and even fewer that I wish to own. Did note that one I do want, Blade Runner 2049 will be released in Europe (Amazon.uk) and I pre-ordered for early Feb. The stupid U.S. 4K HDR version does not have DV.

Will mess around with streaming DV via Vudu on my Roku Ultra in the next day or two and will report findings. I can report everyone else's findings that HDR is sensed immediately by the Umax when on Netflix (Roku Ultra) so no more Input toggling to get HDR! :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hooked up the Oppo tonight, and DV works perfectly through the Denon, even with Dual HDMI output enabled.

Apparently, only the 4K Apple TV has an issue with my dual HDMI. So I’m still trying to figure out the best way for DV Netflix content to happen.

I learned about a $200 Phillips player today that might have both DV discs and streaming, not sure if anyone has tried that yet.

The Wow disc only helps with the 709 color space (it’s a standard Blu-ray) but this was what I ended up with...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Which model?

4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player 

BDP7502/F7
This one? It said q1 of 2018 for dv.

I bought the lg 970 for DV but the new firmware reverted it back and it won't be out till march or so.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
551 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Hooked up the Oppo tonight, and DV works perfectly through the Denon, even with Dual HDMI output enabled.

Apparently, only the 4K Apple TV has an issue with my dual HDMI. So I’m still trying to figure out the best way for DV Netflix content to happen.

I learned about a $200 Phillips player today that might have both DV discs and streaming, not sure if anyone has tried that yet.

The Wow disc only helps with the 709 color space (it’s a standard Blu-ray) but this was what I ended up with...

Thanks for sharing this. Interesting that you found Sharpness 0 while I instinctively had it around 90. When I toggled this down to 0, I found very little difference in sharpness with my 1080i upscaled to 4K through the Denon. It would be great to find my test patterns! My other settings set to taste were fairly close to yours except the sharpness setting (which I think does little). The main difference I think is that I prefer Warm color temperature. Really appreciate your support into CN firmware.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Found new on CN firmware, fyi, a better audio option from the TV labeled: for Wall Mounted TV. The tv's sound was horrible on my wall mounted tv and I was surprised how much better this sound is. For me though, I only listen to audio through my AVR.

The picture, upscaled through my Denon as before, is so much sharper and defined than my similar setup prior to the FW upgrade. I almost thought low Motion was deployed but it is set to Off on all Picture Modes. I think a previous owner noted a similar subjective opinion.

I couldn't find my DV copy of Despicable Me (as well as my Disney WOW calibration disc)----casualties of my HT remodel disorganization---so I don't have an Oppo report with the new FW. Very few DV discs have been released and even fewer that I wish to own. Did note that one I do want, Blade Runner 2049 will be released in Europe (Amazon.uk) and I pre-ordered for early Feb. The stupid U.S. 4K HDR version does not have DV.

Will mess around with streaming DV via Vudu on my Roku Ultra in the next day or two and will report findings. I can report everyone else's findings that HDR is sensed immediately by the Umax when on Netflix (Roku Ultra) so no more Input toggling to get HDR! :)
Roku doesn't support DV.

·
Registered
551 Posts
bennut, can’t find my Disney Wow disc:mad:. Could you share your preferences under whatever Mode you selected? Although the settings menu is now trim compared with US version allowing for calibration, there is no color option like Hue other than Saturation. Another observation is the 3D Auto On setting doesn’t seem to stay on so this should be kept in mind when wanting to watch a 3D program.

I tested 3D tonight. You just have to turn it on for each HDMI input. After you do that once, it saves the setting.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Roku doesn't support DV.
Well that's disappointing. You saved me aggravation tomorrow. It isn't too good holding on to HDR either on Netflix. The Roku settings say I'm good to go for 4K, HDCP2.2, and HDR with my setup. Amazon Prime shows HDR easily, Neftlix is buggy, sometimes HDR sometimes SD.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I tested 3D tonight. You just have to turn it on for each HDMI input. After you do that once, it saves the setting.

Not for me. Once I leave HDMI 1 with 3D on, it is Off when I return from say, HDMI 2. Also, once I power off and turn the set back on, 3D is Off.....so it doesn't stick on my set.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any idea as to why my soundbar or the tv speakers are not working? I played with both auto/pcm settings neither of those would kick the soundbar on. It was working last night. I connected it using the optical cord. When i turn the tv speakers on those dont work either.
Would someone have any ideas on this?

·
Registered
251 Posts

The Oppo will not pass DV or HLG from it's HDMI input, regardless of source. Found that out on the avsforum's Oppo owners thread and my own personal experience. Disappointing and seems Oppo, for whatever reason, is not going to enable that function.

1621 - 1640 of 3244 Posts