AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manufacturer's Links:Spec Sheets:Manual:Technical Detail Summary:
  • Full HD 1080p via Uncompressed Wireless Transmission from media box
  • TruMotion 120Hz
  • 80,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio
  • 2.7ms Response Time (GTG)
  • Super IPS Panel
  • Intelligent Sensor optimizes the picture to the lighting conditions in the room
  • 24p Real Cinema
  • Four (4) HDMI V.1.3 with Deep Color
  • ISFccc Ready
  • USB 2.0 for access to digital music and photos (MP3, JPEG)
  • LG Simplink (HDMI-CEC)
  • Smart Energy Saving Plus
  • LG Core Technologies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Settings from Tweak TV for 47LH85:
Quote:
Picture Modes

o Picture Mode : Expert 1

o Color Temperature : Warm

o Aspect Ratio : 16:9
Picture Settings

o Backlight : 25

o Contrast : 90

o Brightness : 54

o H Sharpness : 50

o V Sharpness : 50

o Color : 50

o Tint : 0
Expert Control

o Dynamic Contrast : Off

o Noise Reduction : Off

o Gamma : Medium

o Black Level : Low

o Real Cinema : On

o True Motion 240Hz : Off

o Color Gamut : Standard

o Edge Enhancer : Off

o xvYCC : Off

o Expert Pattern : Off

o Color Filter : Off

o White Balance : Warm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Settings from Tweak TV for 55LH85:
Quote:
Picture Modes

o Picture Mode : Expert 1

o Color Temperature : Warm

o Aspect Ratio : 16:9
Picture Settings

o Backlight : 30

o Contrast : 90

o Brightness : 55

o H Sharpness : 50

o V Sharpness : 50

o Color : 50

o Tint : 0
Expert Control

o Dynamic Contrast : Off

o Noise Reduction : Off

o Gamma : Medium

o Black Level : Low

o Real Cinema : On

o True Motion 240Hz : Off

o Color Gamut : Standard

o Edge Enhancer : Off

o xvYCC : Off

o Expert Pattern : Off

o Color Filter : Off

o White Balance : Warm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How to Check Firmware Version:
Panel

1) Select HDMI5 as your input

2) Hit [Menu]

3) Highlight [Audio]

4) Hit [1] five times
Media Box

1) Select any input (other than HDMI5)

2) Hit [Menu]

3) Highlight [Channel], then Hit [Enter]

4) Highlight [Auto Tuning]

5) Hit [1] five times
(Source of Instructions: 55LHX Post by nony )
Results from the Firmware Check for My 47LH85 built in January 2010:
Panel

Firmware Version(MP): 3.21.00(0.0.32.33)

Micom Version: V3.23

Compile Date & Time: 20090820 & 18:34:48
Media Box

Firmware Version(MP): 3.21.00(0.0.32.33)

Micom Version: V3.03

BaseBand SW Version: V1.12.28, Date:2009-07-22a

Compile Date & Time:20090821 & 11:02:29
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unofficial Firmware Upgrade to 3.26:


This should resolve the trumotion and speaker bug along with some other undocumented fixes. It's listed as for the 55LHX only, but the people that work at LG in the USA don't realize it also works for the LH85 since they are largely the same TV.


LG didn't release this officially to the public and generally insists that techs install the firmware for sets that don't update over the internet. While this firmware update worked for everyone who replied in the thread including myself, you update at your own risk. The instructions are a very specific procedure with 4 different updates included, so follow it carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony /forum/post/20083110


Courtesy of LG Technical Support and Training -


55LHX - All Updates - (See http://136.166.4.200/SubPages/firmware/firmware.htm ) - last entry

December 20, 2010 - version 3.26

For: Several fixes including turning off TruMotion

Models: 55LHX only

Instructions: Instructions are included in the zip file.

http://136.166.4.200/SubPages/firmwa...es_Dec2010.zip
Results of my firmware check after updating to 3.26 (Link)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Hello,


I recently got the 47LH85 and I'm having an issue with it.


Many times, the picture looks "jerky", or as if it had been recorded on a camcorder (like in the Blair Witch), motion seems "hyper", jumpy and difficult to watch.


I have tried turning off "TruMotion" and also "RealCinema", but I really can't tell much difference.


I am NOT using the wireless feature, I am plugging the media box directly into the TV with an HDMI cable.


This is my first HDTV, a friend (who has not seen the TV yet) thinks "that is just how LCD HDTV's are", that I am used to a CRT and shouldn't expect it to be the same. But, I don't think I've ever seen this problem on my PC's LCD monitor... or at least, not anywhere near as noticeable. (My PC monitor is also S-IPS panel)


Here is a post of someone else, with what sounds like a similar issue:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17144891



Has anyone else noticed this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Hi Chuck,


What's the playback device? Somtimes, the jerkiness, is due to a system not being able to sustain 60p consistently (some dropped frames). However, when you limit it to 24p, all the problems go away. A good example of what I'm talking about are media players that allow you to select the resolution output of your choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
I think I've identified a bug in the television set.


For those of you who are using the 47LH85 hooked up directly to the media box, I have a couple of questions for you.


1) When you set the TV Speakers to [OFF], and you turn the television off, the next time you turn it back on, is it still [OFF] or is it now enabled again? A previous 42LH30 model did not exhibit such a problem. If you set the TVSpeakers to off, it will stay off until you manually set it to [ON] again. Can anyone confirm this? Is the TV somehow forgetting the settings due to a bad battery on the board (I'm guessing it's using some form of battery to retain settings)?


2) Furthermore, in my set, I've realized something fishy with Trumotion. I get the Soap Opera effect even when the Expert settings showed that Trumotion is [OFF] (Initially I thought this was a natural effect of a 120hz panel). You know that Trumotion is running when the there is a layer of pixelation surrounding a moving object on the screen (similar to the cloaking effect in the movie Predator). However, if you set it to Low, and let the video run, then set it to High followed by letting the video run some more, setting the Trumotion to [OFF] this time will get rid of the soap opera effect. In order to determine if it's off, keep playing back a scene with moving objects in it. A good scene which I use to test is in Avatar during the flying scene where Jake tells the flying animal to "shut up and fly straight". You need only watch the first 10 seconds after he says this. When Trumotion is on, you'll notice a clear pixelation around the wings. If after cycling through the Trumotion settings doesn't work, press the [MENU] button to close everything completely and then start again. You will eventually see the pixelation disappear from the wings when Trumotion is [OFF] (actually off).


However, picture settings do not appear to be forgotten as they remain unchanged when the TV is turned on and off. Only the speaker settings appear to be forgotten, followed by a misleading indicator on the Trumotion setting in the Expert screen.


Can anyone with a 47LH85 or a 55LH85 check this for me? I'm curious to see if this is a unit-specific problem or if it's a firmware issue. Could it be an HDMI cable issue?


Thanks guys.

P.S. My setup is media box directly connected to 47LH85 and PS3 connected to HDMI1 on Media box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf /forum/post/19737114


1) When you set the TV Speakers to [OFF], and you turn the television off, the next time you turn it back on, is it still [OFF] or is it now enabled again? A previous 42LH30 model did not exhibit such a problem. If you set the TVSpeakers to off, it will stay off until you manually set it to [ON] again. Can anyone confirm this? Is the TV somehow forgetting the settings due to a bad battery on the board (I'm guessing it's using some form of battery to retain settings)?

That's exactly how i've had my TV setup for the last month and i've noticed zero problems. I use the optical out to my stereo with TV speakers set to off.


It's never re-enabled that setting so far. I just doublechecked now and it's still turned off.


I'm wirelessly connected between the media box and TV. Just thought i'd point that out as a difference between our two setups.


Haven't really paid attention to the trumotion and pixelation as i'm still not sure how i want the picture settings yet. Plus i need to borrow some more blu-rays to test this set out a little more fully.


Out of curiosity... Does your build date and firmware info match up with mine? If not, can you post it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Hey Speck9,


I've tested the issues some more and I've identified some of the causes of the problems listed. For the speakers, I've realized that if it's in wireless mode, it remembers the speaker settings just fine. Essentially, you turn the speaker settings off in Wireless Mode, then turn the TV off, then connect the media box physically, and turn the TV back on. Voila, speaker settings are off when TV is turned on. However, if you connect a device through HDMI (on the media box) that sends an audio signal, this turns on the TV speakers by default and you're back to square one. As long as the media box is connected to the TV, for some reason it will not be able to "save the changes", so to speak.


FUrthermore, I've also tested that the pixelation occurs regardless of the device connected to the media box (when the media box itself is physically connected to the TV). Unfortunately, I've only tested this it with a PS3 + a laptop in HDMI running the same video clip when the media box was physically connected. I'm pretty confident it's the same issue as the speakers that the physically connected media box is somehow messing with the trumotion settings.


I called up LG, and they said they've never heard of the problem. They said they wouldn't mind setting someone to look at it, but if their technicians deemed that nothing was wrong, he warned that I would have to pay them for labor. He almost sounded like he was subtly threatening me with a charge.



Anyhow, I've also found any easier way to ensure that trumotion is "properly" turned off whenever you turn on the TV . Simply go to the menu settings, swap the profiles from Expert to Cinema, and hit enter. Then swap it back to Expert. This turns off Trumotion. I've also realized that switching the refresh rate, from 60p to 24p also forces Trumotion to turn off properly. So essentially, what I'm understanding is, something is happening at bootup that's causing the TV to override the Trumotion settings and leaving it on despite the menu showing otherwise. My guess at this point is the same, it's something to do with the media box being physically connected (probably puts the TV into some special mode or something).


P.S. Speck9, my firmware is exactly the same as yours both for the box and the TV set. Also, you know trumotion is on when movies or shows on the TV appear "too real" all of a sudden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck9 /forum/post/19746554


That's exactly how i've had my TV setup for the last month and i've noticed zero problems. I use the optical out to my stereo with TV speakers set to off.


It's never re-enabled that setting so far. I just doublechecked now and it's still turned off.


I'm wirelessly connected between the media box and TV. Just thought i'd point that out as a difference between our two setups.


Haven't really paid attention to the trumotion and pixelation as i'm still not sure how i want the picture settings yet. Plus i need to borrow some more blu-rays to test this set out a little more fully.


Out of curiosity... Does your build date and firmware info match up with mine? If not, can you post it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
I just got the 47LH85 and think I have the same issue, though it it tough to detect. I have the Media box connected via HDMI and notice that Truemotion seems to stay on (low) when I first turn on the TV, until I turn it off. I haven't had time to test if the same thing occurs in wireless mode, but I wanted to check in and see if you have gotten any further with this issue.


Did LG support prove useful at all?


Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf
Hey Speck9,


I've tested the issues some more and I've identified some of the causes of the problems listed. For the speakers, I've realized that if it's in wireless mode, it remembers the speaker settings just fine. Essentially, you turn the speaker settings off in Wireless Mode, then turn the TV off, then connect the media box physically, and turn the TV back on. Voila, speaker settings are off when TV is turned on. However, if you connect a device through HDMI (on the media box) that sends an audio signal, this turns on the TV speakers by default and you're back to square one. As long as the media box is connected to the TV, for some reason it will not be able to "save the changes", so to speak.


FUrthermore, I've also tested that the pixelation occurs regardless of the device connected to the media box (when the media box itself is physically connected to the TV). Unfortunately, I've only tested this it with a PS3 + a laptop in HDMI running the same video clip when the media box was physically connected. I'm pretty confident it's the same issue as the speakers that the physically connected media box is somehow messing with the trumotion settings.


I called up LG, and they said they've never heard of the problem. They said they wouldn't mind setting someone to look at it, but if their technicians deemed that nothing was wrong, he warned that I would have to pay them for labor. He almost sounded like he was subtly threatening me with a charge.



Anyhow, I've also found any easier way to ensure that trumotion is "properly" turned off whenever you turn on the TV . Simply go to the menu settings, swap the profiles from Expert to Cinema, and hit enter. Then swap it back to Expert. This turns off Trumotion. I've also realized that switching the refresh rate, from 60p to 24p also forces Trumotion to turn off properly. So essentially, what I'm understanding is, something is happening at bootup that's causing the TV to override the Trumotion settings and leaving it on despite the menu showing otherwise. My guess at this point is the same, it's something to do with the media box being physically connected (probably puts the TV into some special mode or something).


P.S. Speck9, my firmware is exactly the same as yours both for the box and the TV set. Also, you know trumotion is on when movies or shows on the TV appear "too real" all of a sudden.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf /forum/post/19747362


Hey Speck9,

FUrthermore, I've also tested that the pixelation occurs regardless of the device connected to the media box (when the media box itself is physically connected to the TV). Unfortunately, I've only tested this it with a PS3 + a laptop in HDMI running the same video clip when the media box was physically connected. I'm pretty confident it's the same issue as the speakers that the physically connected media box is somehow messing with the trumotion settings.


What if you don't use the media box, and just plug the PS3 directly into the HDMI port on the back of the TV?


It sounds like people also have this issue with Trumotion using the LG 55LHX, see this thread (near the end) where there is a firmware fix, but it seems very hard to get:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1189064
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Interesting...


It does seem like the 55LHX folks are having the same issue with their sets - speakers and truemotion coming back on after power-off, even though they are listed as disabled in the menu.


Both issues are apparently fixed in an updated firmware - 3.26, but who knows if it will work on a 47LH85...I don't know if I want to be the first person to try
.


I haven't investigated the speaker issue on my set but will do so tonight.



Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck.m /forum/post/19816792


What if you don't use the media box, and just plug the PS3 directly into the HDMI port on the back of the TV?


It sounds like people also have this issue with Trumotion using the LG 55LHX, see this thread (near the end) where there is a firmware fix, but it seems very hard to get:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1189064
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghebert /forum/post/19817240


It does seem like the 55LHX folks are having the same issue with their sets - speakers and truemotion coming back on after power-off, even though they are listed as disabled in the menu.


Both issues are apparently fixed in an updated firmware - 3.26, but who knows if it will work on a 47LH85...I don't know if I want to be the first person to try
.

If your set is still under warranty, I would contact LG technical support. This may be just another firmware update situation and with enough complaints they could resolve it.


I wouldn't try the 55LHX firmware on our LH85's unless we find out that it is compatible. It could possibly void your warranty if the TV ends up getting bricked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nony
There is a newer version on the LGtechassist web site - it's version 3.21 and addresses the lipsync issue by disabling AC-3 in the EDID. But it doesn't address the TruMotion/Speaker bugs. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19410442 Working with LG is your best bet.


-nony
from nony in a different thread, this is what the latest firmware does. Note that the January 2010 builds many of us have already include this firmware.


i.e. there probably needs to be more complaints to LG by LH85 owners to generate or maybe even just upload a new firmware to the techassist website for these trumotion/speaker issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Hi guys,


I'm glad to see that there is more interest on the matter. Unfortunately, I have yet to follow up with LG over the matter. At this point, I've accepted the "defects" that came with the TV [a.k.a. too lazy to do further testing for now], these minor programmable bugs and the tiny screen scarring that I have (~2mm) due to the price I got the TV for (extremely ridiculously low for the compensation I was given by my seller to "keep the TV" as they wanted to clear the stock and be done with it).


Whenever I turn on the TV, I go to picture settings and simply switch the picture mode to Cinema, then back to my expert settings. This guarantees that Trumotion is off.


I've confirmed that the speaker setting is not remembered simply because the media box is plugged in. Plugging in the media box must place the TV in some sort of service mode which "resets" certains things such as speakers and trumotion. Since the TV was "intended" to be a wireless set and I am forcing it as a wired set, I'm not going to make a big fuss about it since it doesn't bother me further at this point (takes me .


Since we have the same firmware issues as the 55LHX owners, I believe that there is further support that this whole shbang is due to LG not expecting their users to use these sets in a forced wired mode and as such has crappy programming when the service port on the media box is connected to the TV.


P.S. I'll call LG tomorrow and see if there is a newer firmware for the TV. If there is great, if not, ah well. I can live with it. I hope you guys can too [although I know it's hard for tech enthusiasts:p].
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf /forum/post/19836082


P.S. I'll call LG tomorrow and see if there is a newer firmware for the TV. If there is great, if not, ah well. I can live with it. I hope you guys can too [although I know it's hard for tech enthusiasts:p].

I don't think it would be too hard for LG to upload a new firmware to the techassist website as the firmware should be pretty much identical to the LHX version. The way nony explained it, they just need to create a new config file for the LH85.


Probably just a matter of getting enough complaints to get the firmware update released.


here's the quote from nony:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony /forum/post/19825614


In general, the LHX/LH85 firmware builds are identical. However, the config file, specifically RELEASE.cfg, is unique to each model. Release.cfg is embedded in filename.epk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speck9
I don't think it would be too hard for LG to upload a new firmware to the techassist website as the firmware should be pretty much identical to the LHX version. The way nony explained it, they just need to create a new config file for the LH85.


Probably just a matter of getting enough complaints to get the firmware update released.


here's the quote from nony:
No, it should not be that hard for them - I think the most difficult thing would be finding the correct contact point at LG. I called tech support today and didn't get very far (see below). I posted on the 55LHX thread as well.


"So, I called LG and asked about the Trumotion bug (on my 47LH85). The tech informed me that "this is the way the TV was designed to operate". I then asked him what the latest firmware version is, at which point he informed me that there is no firmware update at all. Since I already know there is an updated version, this does not give me confidence in this rep. So, I will probably call back and tell them I have a lip-sync issue to at least see if they will tell me there is a firmware update. "
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cghebert
No, it should not be that hard for them - I think the most difficult thing would be finding the correct contact point at LG. I called tech support today and didn't get very far (see below). I posted on the 55LHX thread as well.
yep, just a matter of finding the right person who understands the technical issues at a much higher level than the usual random CSR.


I would keep calling till you find someone who sounds like they know what they are talking about. Polite, but persistent usually works for me.
 
1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Top