AVS Forum banner

3521 - 3540 of 3663 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
hello I am trying to figure out how to properly hook up this LG tv to a denon reciever (avr-x2300W I belive). I've seen people with LG tvs have home theater tabs in their source list and they're able to pick which source under that tab to go to and the reciever will then change which display to show. For example if you had your bluray player hooked up to your reciever and you look on the source list on the LG tv under the home theater tab would be the source bluray player and then the tv and reciever would switch over to that source instead of having to switch to that source on the reciever and the tv seperately.

Also another thing I was wanting help was a way to reduce light bleed and local dimming isn't really dimming recently and it looked awful with the amount of light bleed there was and the local dimming just made it worse.

I also saw someone talking about how they adjusted the 3D settings to fix some crosstalk in the upper-left corner. I have also experienced crosstalk in the upper left corner and was wondering what settings did you put the 3D at?

Help is very much appreciated!:)

Not to sure what you are talking about with the Denon receiver, but I have the same model. I have the receivers hdmi cable output going to hdmi 2 (arc) on the tv. Each devices hdmi goes into the inputs on the receiver. I never have to switch outputs on the tv this way (its always on hdmi 2), but do on the Denon receiver. I have a Harmony remote so its easy switching.

·
Registered
448 Posts
OK, Too many wires and hookups between my TV/Stereo Receiver/DVD player/Cable box and I'm confused to how to hook up from my TV to Stereo for the sound. I currently have it hooked up for sound from the TV/Cable Box/Stereo Receiver. This means if I use the TV directly with stereo there is no stereo sound, just the TV sound. I just added Sling TV which works on the TV directly. So how do I hook this up to my Stereo?

My setup is:

LG 75" 4K Super 75UHD8500 HDR 240Hz Smart 3D LED TV
LG 4K 3D Blu-ray Disc Player With Built-in WiFi
Yamaha RX-V385 - 5.1-Channel 4K 3D Ready AV Receiver
Pioneer Tower speakers w/Bose Subwoofer & Center Speakers

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
hello I am trying to figure out how to properly hook up this LG tv to a denon reciever (avr-x2300W I belive). I've seen people with LG tvs have home theater tabs in their source list and they're able to pick which source under that tab to go to and the reciever will then change which display to show. For example if you had your bluray player hooked up to your reciever and you look on the source list on the LG tv under the home theater tab would be the source bluray player and then the tv and reciever would switch over to that source instead of having to switch to that source on the reciever and the tv seperately.
You're referring to the HDMI-CEC feature, which allows supported devices to communicate with each other. Some people find this useful, others find it annoying, or doesn't work at all. So if you enable CEC on all your compatible devices, this should start working automatically. On the LG TV, I believe the feature is found under SIMPLINK. On the Denon AVR, it's called HDMI CONTROL - both need to be enabled. This doesn't only control switching inputs, but potentially volume control, power on/off, etc... which is why I mentioned some people find it annoying, because it may cause unintended effects. If you have multiple devices connected, and you're watching content on device A, and you then power on device B, your AVR could automatically switch to that input, even if when you don't want it to.

So go ahead and enable it and play around with it, and if it does what you want, then good for you :)

Also another thing I was wanting help was a way to reduce light bleed and local dimming isn't really dimming recently and it looked awful with the amount of light bleed there was and the local dimming just made it worse.
Search for all posts from jerimiah on this thread for optimal display settings. Note that the black levels/native contrast on these sets are inherently poor, and there's no way to get around that.

I also saw someone talking about how they adjusted the 3D settings to fix some crosstalk in the upper-left corner. I have also experienced crosstalk in the upper left corner and was wondering what settings did you put the 3D at?
That was me... I have performed a lot more experimentation since that post. The latest conclusion I've come to is that there's no free lunch i.e. there's no single setting that will get rid of cross-talk for all content types: you'll have to experiment. Whatever you do, do not set both Depth and Viewpoint to extreme values - it produces very strange 3D behaviour. Having said that, as a general rule, I've found that adjusting Viewpoint to a negative (while leaving Depth unchanged) can reduce cross-talk observed on the top-left corner of the screen. Of course, the best cure for cross-talk, apart from replacing the TV, is to sit further back - LG's recommendation is 2x the diagonal width of the screen, so 110" back on a 55" TV.

The following thread has a good discussion regarding the 3D Viewpoint setting: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/194-3d-tech-talk/1466015-lg-cinema-3d-viewpoint.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
HDR & HDR10 logo Display

Here's another weird issue I have encountered on my TV. I believe this may be Disney related but I want to run it by you folks on the forum. So when I start Avengers: Infinity War I get the HDR logo on the top right of the screen but no HDR10 logo on the top left of the screen. I put in The Patriot and see both logos. This appears to be Disney specific but I have not done a thorough analysis with other discs. Has anyone else experienced this?

What does it mean if I only see the HDR logo on the top right but not the HDR10 logo on the top left? Does this impact the HDR color palette, color depth, or anything?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here's another weird issue I have encountered on my TV. I believe this may be Disney related but I want to run it by you folks on the forum. So when I start Avengers: Infinity War I get the HDR logo on the top right of the screen but no HDR10 logo on the top left of the screen. I put in The Patriot and see both logos. This appears to be Disney specific but I have not done a thorough analysis with other discs. Has anyone else experienced this?

What does it mean if I only see the HDR logo on the top right but not the HDR10 logo on the top left? Does this impact the HDR color palette, color depth, or anything?

It may just be a function of your disc player, or possibly an artifact of HDMI handshaking. I very rarely see a top left logo when playing a disc with my Oppo 203. The top right logo is the one generated by the TV, so that's the only one you should worry about. As long as it appears, you know you're getting a proper signal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It may just be a function of your disc player, or possibly an artifact of HDMI handshaking. I very rarely see a top left logo when playing a disc with my Oppo 203. The top right logo is the one generated by the TV, so that's the only one you should worry about. As long as it appears, you know you're getting a proper signal.
Thank you! Good to know the right logo is from the TV and the left is from the Oppo.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does anyone think that LG will update Dolby Vision on these sets? The Xbox One S and X now support vision, but our TVs apparently have an older version that won't work them.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Does anyone think that LG will update Dolby Vision on these sets? The Xbox One S and X now support vision, but our TVs apparently have an older version that won't work them.
When Forbes reached out to them, LG said that they have no decision yet on the 2016 models being updated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Pretty sure the updates was rolled out months ago?
They were updated but they are still looking into possibly updating the 2016 models to work with xbox

They just confirmed with Forbes that they are looking into it but no decision was made.

Xbox DV is the newer standard and the 2016 model tv work off the old standard. For the 2016 models, LG needs to get them up to the newer standard

·
Registered
101 Posts
When Forbes reached out to them, LG said that they have no decision yet on the 2016 models being updated.

I just logged on to ask the same thing. Pretty ridiculous that in two years this TV is already so outdated that it isn't compatible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I find Dolby Vision to be very overrated anyway. From what I've read it's just HDR10 with 12 bit color and auto-dimming. I don't like the auto-dimming feature so I much rather opt for HDR10 over DV. This is the main reason why I got rid of my LG UP970 was because of the huge lack of settings and the fact that DV just didn't look good on this TV. Now that I have my Sony x700 I can turn the DV setting off and enjoy the HDR10 from my discs. I have no idea if on the newer sets if the auto-dimming is less noticable or if it is better implemented but I honestly as of now prefer HDR10 over DV on this TV

I thought for the longest time that auto-dimming was a bug on this TV but according to some videos I have seen (one being the "HDR and Dolby Vision as fast as possible" from techquickie) this is a feature not a bug. Unless that video is misinformed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Am I the only one who places some onus on Microsoft? It seems like they made a decision to not fully support all DV profiles, and we're just on the receiving end of that.

I would be fine if Microsoft split DV support into "cinema mode" (original profile) and "gaming mode" (aka, low-latency mode). I'd be a little sad about missing out on the gaming side, but I'm way more concerned that I can't use it for Netflix and (presumably later on) 4k UHD discs.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Am I the only one who places some onus on Microsoft? It seems like they made a decision to not fully support all DV profiles, and we're just on the receiving end of that.

I would be fine if Microsoft split DV support into "cinema mode" (original profile) and "gaming mode" (aka, low-latency mode). I'd be a little sad about missing out on the gaming side, but I'm way more concerned that I can't use it for Netflix and (presumably later on) 4k UHD discs.

I’m curious about this whole thing as I wasn’t aware of any incongruity between our TV and the DV capabilities of the Xbox. What’s the basic issue — simply no DV on Xbox? And this is because there’s a newer DV profile on the TV that’s incompatible?

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
The TCL 6-Series TV's are in the same boat as well.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I’m curious about this whole thing as I wasn’t aware of any incongruity between our TV and the DV capabilities of the Xbox. What’s the basic issue — simply no DV on Xbox? And this is because there’s a newer DV profile on the TV that’s incompatible?
Xbox now supoorts Dolby vision but it's the newer standard & Low latency. The 2016 & some 2017 TV's by LG and others aren't compatible because they use an old standard of dolby vision.

·
Registered
253 Posts
No DV on X1. Can't even check the box to try to turn it on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, not sure if anyone else has experienced this issue. I had this Tv for a couple of years. So far, its been okay. I got me a ps4 pro maybe like 6 months ago. So every time i play a game in HDR mode, i lose signal. So i had to either restart the tv or unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in. I tried different cables, different hdmi outputs but it keeps happening. It happens at least once a day. Could it be the tv or the ps4?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Hey guys, not sure if anyone else has experienced this issue. I had this Tv for a couple of years. So far, its been okay. I got me a ps4 pro maybe like 6 months ago. So every time i play a game in HDR mode, i lose signal. So i had to either restart the tv or unplug the hdmi cable and plug it back in. I tried different cables, different hdmi outputs but it keeps happening. It happens at least once a day. Could it be the tv or the ps4?
Sounds like the ps4 if you have tried different cables and inputs. I have a PS4 pro and no issues.

Are you running the ps4 through an AV receiver?

3521 - 3540 of 3663 Posts