AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 883 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hey Medphysdave,

Did you have any issues with not being able to change your aspect ratios once you turned on local dimming through the service remote?

Thanks
I am having this same problem, don’t know if it related to my LD service menu change. I think it might be related to the differences in the particular streaming content app you are viewing.

On a lighter side...has anyone seen the guy on the news who was arrested for keeping a mis-shipped LG 86” TV?
Pretty funny...He probably wouldn’t have kept it and saved arrest if he had seen this thread and taken Hiperco’s sage advice about how you should buy something else;)...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/man-kept-tv-sent-mistake-arrested-larceny-misleading-police-officer-230124458.html

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'll need to read this thread more...

Curious if the 86UK6570 is the same more or less.

-- any issues with ARC or Optical out providing 5.1 audio back to my audio reciver.

And how's the 86" model in a darker room? I've seen one series of YouTube posts with awful light effects due to the edge light and I assume size. But they are all from the same person. And Im highly doubtful LG could keep selling it if it was that unwatchable.

To me it seems like a great display.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll need to read this thread more...

Curious if the 86UK6570 is the same more or less.

-- any issues with ARC or Optical out providing 5.1 audio back to my audio reciver.

And how's the 86" model in a darker room? I've seen one series of YouTube posts with awful light effects due to the edge light and I assume size. But they are all from the same person. And Im highly doubtful LG could keep selling it if it was that unwatchable.

To me it seems like a great display.
This is on the first page and helps to explain the differences.

•The 7570PUB has 4K Cinema HDR feature which provides clarity and fine picture details when the TV screen is viewed.
•The 7570PUB has Local Dimming which makes the dark scenes as black as possible and light scenes as bright as needed. EDIT: NO LOCAL DIMMING
•The 7570PUB has Ultra Luminance which helps with the brightness of the image the TV displays.
•The 7570PUB comes with the Magic Remote while it is an optional accessory with the 6570PUB and can be purchased separately. "

Like you I saw those same YouTube videos from that one guy and it is concerning. I am also on the fence on this. I was watching Costco's sale that ended yesterday and now they have a new sale $200 cheaper that ends the end of April with the squaretrade warranty. I don't know if the issues with this TV would really bother me as I am upgrading from a 8 year old Samsung 52". Costco has a 30 day price guarantee so if after April they drop the price more I could get that newer price but there is always the chance they just sell out their inventory.

Given that LG will only have one 86" LCD model next year and the msrp is $4299 the question is whether its worth waiting about 8 months for black Friday to pay probably $300 to $800 more (guessing) than what I could get this TV now without HDMI 2.1 and the other upgrades. I am more leaning towards getting it now. I have not really checked out other mfgr's new models because I really do like LG's web os interface but probably I should. I would be ok with Roku or Android TV as the interface as well.

Edit: I am not sure about the local dimming. I've seen people say later in the threads it has it and others got Costco rebates because it was advertised incorrectly so I am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thank you!

I actually ordered a 75” from Samsung.... it’s a “higher” trim level but not their QLED series

UN75NU8000FXZA....

But honestly I’m starting to doubt myself lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
now that it is discounted another 200 dollars at costco, this is definitely more tempting with all the costco benefits.

I am not a super picky user, I will probably not care about black levels. My main concern would be watching sports and other fast action content. The (potential) blur of the fast action would bother me more than anything else. My question to the owners, are you satisfied with watching sports on this TV?

Another question I have, (not as big of a concern), is the upscaling of 720p (or 1080i) content (xfinity cable) good enough not to bother you too much?

Thank you all in advance for your input.

·
Registered
133 Posts
now that it is discounted another 200 dollars at costco, this is definitely more tempting with all the costco benefits.

I am not a super picky user, I will probably not care about black levels. My main concern would be watching sports and other fast action content. The (potential) blur of the fast action would bother me more than anything else. My question to the owners, are you satisfied with watching sports on this TV?

Another question I have, (not as big of a concern), is the upscaling of 720p (or 1080i) content (xfinity cable) good enough not to bother you too much?

It's in my cart, this is a tempting deal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bought it. After a few drinks I couldn't resist. Great price with a 7 year warranty and I have 90 days to take it back. Something tells me after I see it I'll be in love.
Let us all know how you like it. Also, let me know how long it takes for the TV to turn on before the remote lets you change volume.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Decent Upscaling

I use to have DirecTV and now have FIOS. The picture looks very good with both. The upscaling with broadcast TV is pretty good. 1080p movies through Plex look great and UHD through Plex looks absolutely amazing!

I'm glad I bought the TV back in November and with the $200 price drop, I don't think you can go wrong!

·
Registered
6 Posts
i just ordered mine...
Well i got mine, very happy with it. It was a challenge to wall mount it due to its size though. Took 3 people to safely lift and hang. Make sure you take it off the power saving mode right away otherwise brightness setting changes as it wishes, pretty annoying for me :)

Have not played with it whole a lot, just sports from xfinity, some 4k from youtube, some gaming, netflix etc.

the size, the price, the 7 year warranty and specs... very good value. Can't wait for the 81 minute episode of game of thrones tomorrow :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
is there a specific movie you can suggest to test for this? i am not seeing anything noticeable yet...
Try searching YouTube for any 21:9 aspect ratio trailer or ultra wide trailer. I think he means the black bars that will be on the top and bottom. I imagine if you watch in the dark you will see a very dark grey instead. What matters is whether it is bad enough that it bothers you.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hope folks are still following this thread. I have had the LG 86” for 1.5 years now. I cannot get close to conquering blacks with it. I see a lot of bleeding on a black screen. Granted I am spoiled because by other TV is an OLED.

Anyone faced this issue and come up with a solution?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #878
It's an IPS panel (poor black levels) and doesn't have meaningfully operational local dimming (also bad for black levels). So par for the course I'm afraid.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's an IPS panel (poor black levels) and doesn't have meaningfully operational local dimming (also bad for black levels). So par for the course I'm afraid.
Thanks much. I have my eye on the 77” OLED to replace it, just trying to justify the cost. Not sure I will be happy with any LED TVs in the larger sizes. Wish I was since the 77 is pricey.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #880
I just picked up a Samsung Q70R 82", after selling my 65" C8 OLED. While it's not an OLED, it has a quite satisfying picture in my dark room.

861 - 880 of 883 Posts