AVS Forum banner

1281 - 1300 of 6437 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I assumed you already were a Netflix subscriber.

The activation number you get when first starting the player is like a 4-5 digit/letter number. Once you see it on the LG you go to the Netflix site and activate the player there.

It still sounds like a network problem.

Sorry I am out of suggestions.

The ip addresses are ususally one of the private network addresses such as 192.168.xxx.xxx. What kind of router do you have?

Most routers start out with networks in the subnet of 192.168.1.xx the gateway is usually 192.168.1.1. The gateway is the router itself. Your network might be different but still should be a private network subnet.

If you could post some pictures like the ones I posted.

Oh, and by the way LG has never helped me much. Netflix was very nice and helpful when we were dealing with the firmware problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob /forum/post/18820398

I assumed you already were a Netflix subscriber.

I am. You still have to activate your player to stream movies, don't you?

Quote:

The activation number you get when first starting the player is like a 4-5 digit/letter number. Once you see it on the LG you go to the Netflix site and activate the player there.

How did you get this code? Where is it? Can you explain to me like a child how to get this number? (Maybe I need to be told like a child how to stream movies--period.)

Quote:

It still sounds like a network problem.

But how? It says I am connected. I ran the test and it says it's all ok!!

Quote:

Sorry I am out of suggestions.

I appreciate your efforts. This is more than I've heard since I posted here and since I contacted Netflix and LG support.

I can't believe that these issues are unique to me? I'm sure someone else has had these problems too, right? No?

Quote:

The ip addresses are ususally one of the private network addresses such as 192.168.xxx.xxx.

That looks about right. Like I said, I don't have a static address; it's dynamic.

Quote:

What kind of router do you have?

Ahhhh, I always get confused with which one is the router? I connect via DSL. So, phone line to modem, modem to ethernet switch, switch to Airport (for computer--wireless), switch to BD550 (hardwired, not wireless). Hope this helps.

Quote:

Most routers start out with networks in the subnet of 192.168.1.xx the gateway is usually 192.168.1.1. The gateway is the router itself. Your network might be different but still should be a private network subnet.

Like I said, this looks about right. I get similar numbers as yours. But, what does it matter if I have a dynamic address? It is whatever my connection gives me, right?

Quote:

If you could post some pictures like the ones I posted.

I will. Tonight. When I get home. Around 9 pm (Pacific time).

Quote:

Oh, and by the way LG has never helped me much. Netflix was very nice and helpful when we were dealing with the firmware problem.

I agree. The problems appear to be on the LG side and they are not being very helpful.

I guess it's time to start looking for another player. I'm getting to the point where returning this player is my only option.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandal /forum/post/18820537

I am. You still have to activate your player to stream movies, don't you?

How did you get this code? Where is it? Can you explain to me like a child how to get this number? (Maybe I need to be told like a child how to stream movies--period.)

But how? It says I am connected. I ran the test and it says it's all ok!!

I appreciate your efforts. This is more than I've heard since I posted here and since I contacted Netflix and LG support.

I can't believe that these issues are unique to me? I'm sure someone else has had these problems too, right? No?

That looks about right. Like I said, I don't have a static address; it's dynamic.

Ahhhh, I always get confused with which one is the router? I connect via DSL. So, phone line to modem, modem to ethernet switch, switch to Airport (for computer--wireless), switch to BD550 (hardwired, not wireless). Hope this helps.

Like I said, this looks about right. I get similar numbers as yours. But, what does it matter if I have a dynamic address? It is whatever my connection gives me, right?

I will. Tonight. When I get home. Around 9 pm (Pacific time).

I agree. The problems appear to be on the LG side and they are not being very helpful.

I guess it's time to start looking for another player. I'm getting to the point where returning this player is my only option.

When I got my player and connected it to my network it does like any other computer on the network, it sends out a request to the DHCP server for an IP address that will work on my private network. (My Linksys router serves as my DHCP server) (this is a dynamic ip address)

Once it (computer or dvd player) has the ip it should be able to connect to the internet through the router (gateway). See my comments about your private network IP addresses.

Have you tried to reinialize the player?

I had to do this after updating the firmware to version 259. I then had to go to the netflix section of setup and it gave me another activation number which i entered at the netflix site. I think i had to remove my 550 from my netflix profile before re-entering the number.

I was always able to get YouTube which is why it sounds like a network problem on your end.

How many computers do you have on your network and what kind of router do you have?

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob /forum/post/18820676

Have you tried to reinialize the player?

No.

Quote:

I had to do this after updating the firmware to version 259. I then had to go to the netflix section of setup and it gave me another activation number which i entered at the netflix site. I think i had to remove my 550 from my netflix profile before re-entering the number.

It's not even showing on my Netflix profile.

Quote:

How many computers do you have on your network and what kind of router do you have?

One. Router, router? Mmm, you mean my modem? It was the one issued when I signed up for internet access, but I don't think you mean that. The only other thing is my airport which is how I connect wirelessly to the internet FOR MY COMPUTER!

Keep in mind that I use a hardwire to connect to the internet with my BD550. So, I don't think the router has anything to do with this, does it? Or am I missing something? Why do you want to know what kind of router I use?

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandal /forum/post/18820820

No.

It's not even showing on my Netflix profile.

One. Router, router? Mmm, you mean my modem? It was the one issued when I signed up for internet access, but I don't think you mean that. The only other thing is my airport which is how I connect wirelessly to the internet FOR MY COMPUTER!

Keep in mind that I use a hardwire to connect to the internet with my BD550. So, I don't think the router has anything to do with this, does it? Or am I missing something? Why do you want to know what kind of router I use?

With multiple computers you need a way to connect all to the internet. Where do you plug in the wire from the LG?

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob /forum/post/18820876

With multiple computers you need a way to connect all to the internet. Where do you plug in the wire from the LG?

To the switch I have.

Phone line connection ==> DSL modem ==> Switch (Router?) ==> LG BD550

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob /forum/post/18820921

What kind of switch? How is the switch connected?

I don't know the exact model of the switch. I will let you know when I get home. It's very simple, really. I only paid $20 for it. Basically, turn it on and connect the modem to this. Then from this connect all your other things, like my airport and my BD550. I still have two more ethernet ports available for use.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandal /forum/post/18820884

To the switch I have.

A switch is not the same as a router. Now days most routers have a built in 4-5 port switch. The router has a WAN connection which connects to your modem and all the computers connect to the switch ports. If what you have is just a switch that is probably your problem.

I am not familar with the Airport but it looks as if it is only a wireless access point. No switch or router functions.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob /forum/post/18820942

A switch is not the same as a router. Now days most routers have a built in 4-5 port switch. The router has a WAN connection which connects to your modem and all the computers connect to the switch ports. If what you have is just a switch that is probably your problem.

I am not familar with the Airport but it looks as if it is only a wireless access point. No switch or router functions.

Then, I do not have a router.

How is my switch my problem? In any case, no switch, no connection. I need it or something like it. My modem only has one ethernet port, my ariport only has one ethernet port. How can I connect my computer and my BD550? I need two ports!!

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob /forum/post/18820942

See attached picture (worth a thousand words?) The router is a necessary piece of hardware for connecting multiple computers through one modem.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandal /forum/post/18820960

Then, I do not have a router.

How is my switch my problem? In any case, no switch, no connection. I need it or something like it. My modem only has one ethernet port, my ariport only has one ethernet port. How can I connect my computer and my BD550? I need two ports!!

See my previous posts, link to the linksys router and diagram.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob /forum/post/18820965

See attached picture (worth a thousand words?) The router is a necessary piece of hardware for connecting multiple computers through one modem.

You just said a switch is not the same as a router, but your picture says otherwise. What you have on that picture is my exact same setup. Modem to switch/router to whatever.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandal /forum/post/18820980

You just said a switch is not the same as a router, but your picture says otherwise. What you have on that picture is my exact same setup. Modem to switch/router to whatever.

Like I said earlier, some routers have a built in switch. Actually most now have a router and switch in the same box.

I have a router like the linksys I posted earlier. (it is a router with a 4 port switch built in) I also have a switch that is plugged into the router (i have quite a few computers etc and need more than 4 ethernet ports)

See this picture. A switch by itself will not work when connected to the modem by itself. (without a router)

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandal /forum/post/18820980

Here is a picture of the Linksys router I speak of.

On the back there is a single connection on the left. That is plugged to the modem.

The other 4 ports are for your computers (and/or LG player)

I believe the airport would then plug to one of the ethernet ports on the router/switch. Assuming it is similar to my wireless access points.

I apologize for turning this thread into a network tutorial.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I have a 5 port switch netgear connecting my xbox 360,ps3,and my bd590. The main line is coming from my dlink router that provides Internet access for all my devices.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori /forum/post/18821107

I have a 5 port switch netgear connecting my xbox 360,ps3,and my bd590. The main line is coming from my dlink router that provides Internet access for all my devices.

It appears you have two boxes. One router and one switch. The router is a necessary piece of hardware if you want to connect multiple computers/devices through one modem. You could do with one box if it had both the switch and the router built in (as the Linksys I used as an example)

Think of the router as the traffic cop who controls traffic at an intersection. All roads coming to the intersection are the ports on the switch. Without the cop (router) there would be chaos.

The router is the intermediary (interface) between the private network in your house (all the connections to the switch) and the Public Internet.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Another setup I helped a friend with was as follows:

He had a new Samsung networked TV and BD player. Wanted to connect to his network but had no wires downstairs. He had a wireless router/switch upstairs.

We used an old Trendnet wireless access point as a client to the wireless network and plugged in an old dlink switch at his entertainment center. All the parts came from the junk box and cost him nothing.

The access point connected to his wireless router and he plugged his TV, BD player and xbox into the switch (connected to the access point)

Voila, a new segment to his network. See attached picture.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob /forum/post/0

It appears you have two boxes. One router and one switch. The router is a necessary piece of hardware if you want to connect multiple computers/devices through one modem. You could do with one box if it had both the switch and the router built in (as the Linksys I used as an example)

Think of the router as the traffic cop who controls traffic at an intersection. All roads coming to the intersection are the ports on the switch. Without the cop (router) there would be chaos.

The router is the intermediary (interface) between the private network in your house (all the connections to the switch) and the Public Internet.

In other words every device needs a unique ip address in order to connect to the Internet. This is the reason u need the router and the switch.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori /forum/post/18821249

In other words every device needs a unique ip address in order to connect to the Internet. This is the reason u need the router and the switch.

Bingo. The devices on your home network have a private ip address such as 192.168.xxx.xxx. and your router has a public ip address it gets from your isp so it can connect to the internet.

The router takes care of passing the information from the internet to the appropriate device on your private network. Traffic cop senario again.

The router is usually set up as the DHCP server with gives out the private ip addresses to devices on your network. These are dynamic ip addresses. You could go in and give each device a static ip address but that is too much trouble and could result in conflicts etc.

1281 - 1300 of 6437 Posts