BP720 - DLNA, WiFi, 3D, Magic Remote

BP620 - DLNA, WiFi, 3D

BP520 - DLNA, WiFi Ready, 3D

BP420 - DLNA, 3D

BP320 - DLNA, WiFi

BP220 - DLNA

BP120 - Base Model

#3 ·
I picked a BP620 up locally from Fry's last weekend and it was defective out-of-the-box. The unit responded erratically to the remote control arrow keys. Got it exchanged and the second one works ok so far but I haven't had much chance to play with it. I may end up returning it because

1) Doesn't have Amazon Video on Demand and

2) Doesn't support playback of high resolution jpgs (4000 x 3000)

Edit: Spoke too soon. Upgrade to latest firmware apparently took care of issue no. 2 above.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash /forum/post/21764298

Lack of #1 is a disappointment, especially since the 2011's have it. Does it have NHL Gamecenter on it?

Not that I can find. . .

Below are the Premium Apps included:

- Netflix

- Vudu HD Movies

- Pandora

- vTuner

- YouTube

- Viewster

- Hulu Plus

- Cinema Now

- Accuweather.com

- AP

- Picasa Web Albums

Most of these do not matter to me and the one thing I would like (Amazon VOD) is not there.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpoh /forum/post/21765201

Not that I can find. . .

Below are the Premium Apps included:

- Netflix

- Vudu HD Movies

- Pandora

- vTuner

- YouTube

- Viewster

- Hulu Plus

- Cinema Now

- Accuweather.com

- AP

- Picasa Web Albums

Most of these do not matter to me and the one thing I would like (Amazon VOD) is not there.

No MLB.tv?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk_Yuler /forum/post/21766117

According to the specs the 220 doesn't support xvid anymore. Can somebody see if it will play xvid by burned dvd or USB?

How about mp4 files?

How does the menu look this year on the bottom model? Last year's was sub par, IMO.

Thanks.

You can download the manual here which shows supported codecs and what the menu looks like.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-BP220

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo3 /forum/post/21766308

You can download the manual here which shows supported codecs and what the menu looks like.

Thanks. That's certainly more useful than the advertising specs. They apparently consider xvid to be enough antiquated that it isn't worth mentioning in advertising anymore. According to the manual these files and codecs are supported in the 220 by disc and USB:

.avi, .mpg,

.mpeg, .mkv,

.mp4, .asf,

.wmv, .m4v

(DRM free),

.vob, .3gp

XVID, MPEG1 SS,

H.264/MPEG-4 AVC,

MPEG2 PS, MPEG2 TS,

VC-1 SM (WMV3)

DLNA is the same except no support for .vob and .3gp.

The files supported information is on page 10 of the PDF at the link.

The menu system looks to be quite a bit better this year.

#14 ·
Amazon Instant is missing, but I'm sure they will add it soon - there is even a placeholder in the premium apps that says 'coming soon'. That may always be there, but I'm confident they will add this service. It's a new product, so I'd give it some time.

On the plus side, it supports Vudu beautifully, including streaming of 3D 1080p content. The menu across the device is incredibly responsive, much more so than the Samsung BD-D6500 now collecting dust.

Update - I spoke to LG and they unfortunately confirmed that Amazon Instant will not be made available on any 2012 LG Blu-Ray model. According to the advisor, LG was not able to reach agreement with Amazon so Instant will not be included on any of the Blu-Ray players this year.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete8475 /forum/post/21769311

Ok fair enough.

Please describe the Youtube app on your player, I'm curious about how it compares to the useless one on the 2011 players.

Thanks!

It has two panes:

- Right pane is where video is showing

- Left pane is the menu bar where you can choose from either:

-- Discover Channels

-- Search

-- My Youtube

-- Featured

Easier thing to do might be showing me a link to a picture or video clip of how Youtube app looks like in 2011 players. I can then tell you if it looks the same or not.

#17 ·
Hi there,

short-time reader, first time poster here.

I just bought the LG BP620 because I thought the samsung BD-D5250C was slow and barely responsive. Huge improvement in gui style/layout and responsiveness. But...I also bought it for mlb.tv, amazon VOD, hulu, mog, and 1080p netflix expected for lg 2012 blu-ray models:

" http://www.techofthehub.com/2011/10/when-is-1080p-netflix-coming-to-my.html "

Here is the list of channels that I thought would be coming:

" http://lgknowledgebase.com/kb/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=6510 "

Well, I guess that was the list for 2011 models. As some of you have confirmed, LG confirmed to me as well:
Quote:
Mariangie: Hello Guest. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?

Guest: Hi, based on this weblink: " http://lgknowledgebase.com/kb/index.php?View=entry&EntryID=6510 " I was expecting to see MOG, mlb.tv, NHL, amazon VOD, netflix, and hulu. When I purchased the BP620 today and configured it, I found that MOG, MLB.tv, NHL, and amazon VOD are not currently available.

Guest: Will these channels be supported soon?

Mariangie: I would like to please place you on a brief hold while I research that for you, will that be alright?

Guest: that's fine thanks

Mariangie: Yes, the list that was in that link was for 2011 models

Mariangie: they 2012 model do not have the same content

Guest: i see, that link doesn't make that clear. So are any of those channels expected for the 2012 models?

Mariangie: Unfortunately not sir

Guest: thanks for your help

Now, I don't want to feel too 1st world problem sense of entitlement and I am aware 1080p is not yet on netflix for LG devices, but, I have to say I feel sorely misled here for all the other channels I wanted. Here I thought I would not have to get a roku device or an apple tv, but now it looks like I have to. I already have netflix and hulu on my xbox, so the big apps for me are MOG for 320kbps streaming, and mlb.tv for this summer; 1080p netflix is also something i'd like. Those are not there...and when I look at the specific channel websites - like nhl gamecenter, they advertise specifcally they are on the lg blu ray players....what is going on here?

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpoh /forum/post/21770413

It has two panes:

- Right pane is where video is showing

- Left pane is the menu bar where you can choose from either:

-- Discover Channels

-- Search

-- My Youtube

-- Featured

Easier thing to do might be showing me a link to a picture or video clip of how Youtube app looks like in 2011 players. I can then tell you if it looks the same or not.

It sounds like what you have is WAY better than what's on the old 600 series. Those players HAD a decent Youtube app until it was "updated" to be useless. It essentially is a fullscreen random video. You can bring up a very slow and useless search field as well.

If you go to "My Youtube" can you sign into a Youtube account?

I'll post a screenshot of the BD670 Youtube app in a few minutes.

EDIT - Attached the pic.

As you can see the Youtube interface is almost non-existant and is borderline useless.

Any chance of you posting a pic of what it looks like on your player?

#19 ·
I went back to the lg customer service chat a few hours later to ask my same question another way to see if I get any better answers; here is most of the response:

Quote:
Eric: Hello Guest. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?

Guest: Hi, for the new BP620 - could you tell me if LG is expecting to provide MLB.tv, amazon VOD, and MOG apps for this device?

Eric: I would be happy to look into this for you to find the best resolution.

Eric: I would like to please place you on a brief hold while I research that for you, will that be alright?

Guest: thanks

Eric: sure

Eric: Thank you for your patience while I researched that for you.

Eric: Ok sorry

Eric: We do not know exactly what they are going to add to the units yet.

Eric: This unit was just released and we are not 100% sure what apps will be added.

Eric: I do not want to tell you wrong info.

Eric: But it looks like they may add MLB and Amazon.

Eric: But not 100% sure sorry

Eric: I know that is not a great answer

Eric: Keep an eye out for new updates

Eric: We will send new applications via the updates.

Guest: is there any expectation of update deadlines?

Eric: I believe soon, within the next week. Hopefully

Guest: ok thanks.

Eric: Thank you for your time and patience. It has been a pleasure to assist you today. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for choosing LG Electronics. We appreciate your business. Have a great day!

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete8475 /forum/post/21772824

It sounds like what you have is WAY better than what's on the old 600 series. Those players HAD a decent Youtube app until it was "updated" to be useless. It essentially is a fullscreen random video. You can bring up a very slow and useless search field as well.

If you go to "My Youtube" can you sign into a Youtube account?

I'll post a screenshot of the BD670 Youtube app in a few minutes.

EDIT - Attached the pic.

As you can see the Youtube interface is almost non-existant and is borderline useless.

Any chance of you posting a pic of what it looks like on your player?

Pretty similar to this screenshot except with less number of menu choices on the left pane: http://cdn.cbsi.com.au/story_media/3...smart-tv_1.jpg

Yes "My Youtube" is for signing into your Youtube account -- I don't have one to test with. If you can't already tell, I am not a Youtube fan

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock118 /forum/post/21774311

I went back to the lg customer service chat a few hours later to ask my same question another way to see if I get any better answers; here is most of the response:

Cool that you took the effort to find out. I am gonna hold onto the player for another couple of weeks and if Amazon VOD still hasn't been added by then I will return it. Rather not risk getting stuck with a player that doesn't meet my needs.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpoh /forum/post/21774971

Pretty similar to this screenshot except with less number of menu choices on the left pane: http://cdn.cbsi.com.au/story_media/3...smart-tv_1.jpg

Yes "My Youtube" is for signing into your Youtube account -- I don't have one to test with. If you can't already tell, I am not a Youtube fan

Thank you for posting that pic!

That Youtube app actually looks like a fancier version of what comes on the old LG players and was originally on the 600 series before it was "upgraded" to the steaming hot turd it is now.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete8475 /forum/post/21775258

Thank you for posting that pic!

That Youtube app actually looks like a fancier version of what comes on the old LG players and was originally on the 600 series before it was "upgraded" to the steaming hot turd it is now.

Ugh. I hate the 2011 YouTube app. It's so useless. The 2010 and 2012 YouTube app is just fine. I don't know why we got stuck with this crap.

But, at least we have Amazon Video.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 /forum/post/21780055

Ugh. I hate the 2011 YouTube app. It's so useless. The 2010 and 2012 YouTube app is just fine. I don't know why we got stuck with this crap.

But, at least we have Amazon Video.

One can only hope they won't "upgrade" it on the BP models later down the road like they did to the BD series last year.

Still waiting for Amazon VOD to show up . . .

#26 ·
Quick question - is the only difference between the 420 and the 620 the Wifi? I've got a 5 GHz wireless-N bridge for my components so I don't need the wireless, especially if it's 2.4 GHz, but Bestbuy's Canadian site says the 620 has "7.1 Channel Audio Output" and that the 420 does not. If it's talking about analog I don't care, but if it's talking about over HDMI (which of course makes no sense) then that would rule out the 420 for me ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.