AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2014 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for your info. your take on the Atmos implementation would be great. Other soundbars like the Samsung use the bouncing against the ceiling - I gather the LG does not go this route.
The SJ9 does the same thing. The two upward firing speakers seem to be angled at 45 degrees. Unlike some other Atmos sound bars I looked at, there doesn't seem to be a facility for calibrating those speakers to the height of your ceiling. Not sure how useful that is anyway.

Also, I tried using LG SoundSync via Bluetooth to connect the soundbar to my 65B6. It works fairly well and sounded fairly good. Changing the volume showed the regular B6 volume bar (with a Bluetooth icon next to it) rather than the "+" and "-" icons when controlling the volume via HDMI-CEC/SIMPLINK. The issue I found is that it wouldn't automatically reconnect via Bluetooth after turning on the TV and required manually reconnecting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey gang,

I recieved and set up mine this morning (UK).
I've connected it to my LG 65OLED B6 via Optical and it's replacing a Logitec Z906 5.1 system.
I'm still playing around with it but here are a few first impressions:

Really nice design of both the Soundbar and Subwoofer.
Initial connection to the TV was via Bluetooth but that was a dissapointingly incosistent connection. It would drop out for a split second every now and then. I'm currently using an optical cable.
Sub connected perfectly first time to the bar.
First play of a song from Spotify was underwhelming but then I tweaked the EQ. Sub, Treble, Bass were set to 0 and it for sure needs them tweaked. It sounds quite thin with them at 0. I do like a warm sound though.
Once tweaked the sound is incredible. Very clear with strong bass and a lot of detail.
I needed to do an update to the soundbar to enable the soundbar to be useable with Google Home.
'Casting' to the bar is good but when you stop casting you need to manually change the input back to 'Optical' via the remote. Not happy about that.
There is no way I can see to double check that the signal the soundbar is recieving is 5.1 or not. The surround effect in movies is unimpressive to be honest. My TV is outputting Dolby Digital but that is all I can tell. Any help with this one is appreciated.

If you guys have any questions I'm happy to answer if I can.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You sure you have it set up correctly?

Because the reviewer from Digital Trends said it sounded "excellent"

·
Registered
84 Posts
You sure you have it set up correctly?

Because the reviewer from Digital Trends said it sounded "excellent"
That reviewer is talking about the Atmos effect from above. I haven't been able to test that yet. I'm only talking about the 5.1 surround effect. The rear effect isn't what I'd hoped. Unless I'm not feeding it the right signals? I'm sending it the same material that worked well on my previous 5.1 setup though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for your info. your take on the Atmos implementation would be great. Other soundbars like the Samsung use the bouncing against the ceiling - I gather the LG does not go this route.
Okay, I put on Star Trek (2009) and here are my impressions:
  • Hitting the info button on the SJ9 remote does confirm Dolby Atmos track is playing
  • Clarity! There are things I've heard before. Even at low volumes there are ambient sounds in some scenes that I definitely did not hear before. The soundstage is nice and wide with great channel separation.
  • I'm aware that the sound emanates from the bar, but it really does make a bubble of sound that envelopes you. The ambient sound effects really envelope you. The upward firing speakers add a bit of nuance, though I can't quite tell what I'm supposed to be listening for. I somewhat perceive something flying overhead but it's not as pronounced as I had expected. Not a deal breaker though. I'll see if I can find some Atmos demos that really show off what it can do.
  • I used to have a proper 5.1 system a long time ago. The SJ9 definitely can't fool me into thinking that a sound is coming behind me, but some sounds do feel like they emanate from a different place in the room. An eerie feeling sometimes!
  • I've seen videos that illustrate Atmos as creating a bubble of sound around you. I thought it was marketing, but I now believe that that is quite an accurate description!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey gang,

I recieved and set up mine this morning (UK).
I've connected it to my LG 65OLED B6 via Optical and it's replacing a Logitec Z906 5.1 system.
I'm still playing around with it but here are a few first impressions:

Really nice design of both the Soundbar and Subwoofer.
Initial connection to the TV was via Bluetooth but that was a dissapointingly incosistent connection. It would drop out for a split second every now and then. I'm currently using an optical cable.
Sub connected perfectly first time to the bar.
First play of a song from Spotify was underwhelming but then I tweaked the EQ. Sub, Treble, Bass were set to 0 and it for sure needs them tweaked. It sounds quite thin with them at 0. I do like a warm sound though.
Once tweaked the sound is incredible. Very clear with strong bass and a lot of detail.
I needed to do an update to the soundbar to enable the soundbar to be useable with Google Home.
'Casting' to the bar is good but when you stop casting you need to manually change the input back to 'Optical' via the remote. Not happy about that.
There is no way I can see to double check that the signal the soundbar is recieving is 5.1 or not. The surround effect in movies is unimpressive to be honest. My TV is outputting Dolby Digital but that is all I can tell. Any help with this one is appreciated.

If you guys have any questions I'm happy to answer if I can.
Thanks for sharing! One thing I noticed. Upon turning it on for the first time. Everything sounded a bit muddy...as if the low-end was a bit too emphasized. I checked the sound mode setting and Bass Boost was on by default. Did you notice the same thing? I set it to standard and I'm quite happy with it. Another thing I noticed: sound mode is disabled while a Dolby Atmos track is playing.

Out out curiosity, what did you set your Sub, Treble and Bass to?

·
Registered
420 Posts
That reviewer is talking about the Atmos effect from above. I haven't been able to test that yet. I'm only talking about the 5.1 surround effect. The rear effect isn't what I'd hoped. Unless I'm not feeding it the right signals? I'm sending it the same material that worked well on my previous 5.1 setup though.
What was your previous 5.1 setup? As far as i know, any soundbar is not going to produce much of a "rear effect". Hopefully a good wide soundstage at best.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Okay, I put on Star Trek (2009) and here are my impressions:
  • Hitting the info button on the SJ9 remote does confirm Dolby Atmos track is playing
  • Clarity! There are things I've heard before. Even at low volumes there are ambient sounds in some scenes that I definitely did not hear before. The soundstage is nice and wide with great channel separation.
  • I'm aware that the sound emanates from the bar, but it really does make a bubble of sound that envelopes you. The ambient sound effects really envelope you. The upward firing speakers add a bit of nuance, though I can't quite tell what I'm supposed to be listening for. I somewhat perceive something flying overhead but it's not as pronounced as I had expected. Not a deal breaker though. I'll see if I can find some Atmos demos that really show off what it can do.
  • I used to have a proper 5.1 system a long time ago. The SJ9 definitely can't fool me into thinking that a sound is coming behind me, but some sounds do feel like they emanate from a different place in the room. An eerie feeling sometimes!
  • I've seen videos that illustrate Atmos as creating a bubble of sound around you. I thought it was marketing, but I now believe that that is quite an accurate description!
Didn't you have to do some sort of set up or calibration in the beginning?

·
Registered
84 Posts
What was your previous 5.1 setup? As far as i know, any soundbar is not going to produce much of a "rear effect". Hopefully a good wide soundstage at best.
It was a Logitec Z906. With the surrounds directly behind me so the read effect was very pronounced.
I guess I wasn't expecting a FULL surround effect. I'm considering adding two of LG's MusicFlow speakers as surrounds.
The soundfield out of this soundbar is incredible though. It's spooky how wide it can get. Happy with that side of it.

Thanks for sharing! One thing I noticed. Upon turning it on for the first time. Everything sounded a bit muddy...as if the low-end was a bit too emphasized. I checked the sound mode setting and Bass Boost was on by default. Did you notice the same thing? I set it to standard and I'm quite happy with it. Another thing I noticed: sound mode is disabled while a Dolby Atmos track is playing.

Out out curiosity, what did you set your Sub, Treble and Bass to?
Mine was set to Standard and thats a bit too thin for me. I set me Sub to 3, Treble to 0 and Bass to 3. Do you think that is to muddy? What is yours set to?

·
Registered
118 Posts
It was a Logitec Z906. With the surrounds directly behind me so the read effect was very pronounced.
I guess I wasn't expecting a FULL surround effect. I'm considering adding two of LG's MusicFlow speakers as surrounds.
The soundfield out of this soundbar is incredible though. It's spooky how wide it can get. Happy with that side of it.

Mine was set to Standard and thats a bit too thin for me. I set me Sub to 3, Treble to 0 and Bass to 3. Do you think that is to muddy? What is yours set to?

I'm still fiddling, but I still find Standard with Sub, Treble and Bass at 0 to be the best for my ears. I think I might set the sub to -1 or -3.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Whoa whoa, that's just crazy talk! :p
How are you connecting the soundbar to your B6?
I'm using LG Sound Sync (Optical) and my DTV Audio Setting is Dolby Digital. When I press the Info button on the soundbar's remote the dislay on the soundbar says PCM. Is this the optimal setup? Am I getting a 5.1 signal with this setup?

Thanks mate.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How are you connecting the soundbar to your B6?
I'm using LG Sound Sync (Optical) and my DTV Audio Setting is Dolby Digital. When I press the Info button on the soundbar's remote the dislay on the soundbar says PCM. Is this the optimal setup? Am I getting a 5.1 signal with this setup?

Thanks mate.
I'm connected via HDMI-ARC. I have a TiVo and it was originally set to PCM and hitting the Info button said the same. I changed the TiVo to output Dolby Audio and the sound bar says the same. I did some A/B testing between PCM and Dolby Audio and Dolby was definitely better. More clarity wider/fuller soundstage. The center channel was definitely being used for dialogue, though I don't think it was 5.1.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm connected via HDMI-ARC. I have a TiVo and it was originally set to PCM and hitting the Info button said the same. I changed the TiVo to output Dolby Audio and the sound bar says the same. I did some A/B testing between PCM and Dolby Audio and Dolby was definitely better. More clarity wider/fuller soundstage. The center channel was definitely being used for dialogue, though I don't think it was 5.1.
Just played around with the sound modes and 'Movie' is the only one that seems to treat a 5.1 signal correctly. It's only by using that one that the dialogue comes through the center speaker. All other modes share the dialogue across all the speakers.
I wish there was some control over how 'spread' the sound could get. Even though it may not be 'correct' it's nice to be able to play around with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can someone let me know if DTS 5.1 is supported? And maybe DTS:X/Master audio? That was my problem with the Samsung atmos soundbar and I want to make sure that I'm not gonna make that mistake again.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Can someone let me know if DTS 5.1 is supported? And maybe DTS:X/Master audio? That was my problem with the Samsung atmos soundbar and I want to make sure that I'm not gonna make that mistake again.
Not sure if DTS:X is supported, but DTS-HD Master Audio definitely is.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you own the soundbar? Cannot find this information anywhere on the LG site..
Yes I do. Look at the pics earlier in the thread and you'll see that I'm playing Arrival in 4K HDR with the DTS Master Audio track.

21 - 40 of 2014 Posts