AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2014 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think that is what is in the disc and the "DTS" in the lower right is showing what is used for the sound.
Perhaps, you're right. I'll double check tonight and see what the sound bar's display indicates.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Folks - wondering what your opinion is after having the lg bar for a few days. Thrilled? Satisfied? Pros and cons.

I had the Onkyo atmos bar and while atmos sounded great - everything else was flaaaaat. Now I have the Sony nt5 which sounds great when it works. But 25% of the time is spent fiddling to get connections right because the sound just stops. No fun. So Im considering the Lg. Thoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Folks - wondering what your opinion is after having the lg bar for a few days. Thrilled? Satisfied? Pros and cons.

I had the Onkyo atmos bar and while atmos sounded great - everything else was flaaaaat. Now I have the Sony nt5 which sounds great when it works. But 25% of the time is spent fiddling to get connections right because the sound just stops. No fun. So Im considering the Lg. Thoughts?
Overall I love it! Very satisfied. I haven't experienced any sound drop outs like you mention.
Pros:
  • Dolby Atmos
  • Supports 4K/HDR passthrough
  • Good design
  • Great clarity, wide soundstage even when listening to regular Dolby Digital sources
  • Different sound modes to suit your taste
  • Ability to customize sub, bass and treble
  • Support for hi-res audio playback (though I have yet to try this for myself)

Cons:
  • Only 1 HDMI input port (might be a deal breaker for some)
  • No ability to calibrate sound bar to your room a la the Yamaha YSP-5600
  • Subwoofer can only be connected wirelessly, which limits placement options.
  • Subwoofer dimensions are relatively large and can limit placement options
  • Limited DTS support (still have to do some testing myself, but not a deal breaker for me)

Concerns:
  • Nowhere in the specs does it specify the DAC used to output hi-res 24/192.
  • LG Soundsync with compatible LG tv (via bluetooth) was gimmicky.
  • Non removable grill means keeping the speakers dust free (especially the upward firing ones) will be near impossible.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Overall I love it! Very satisfied. I haven't experienced any sound drop outs like you mention.
Pros:
  • Dolby Atmos
  • Supports 4K/HDR passthrough
  • Good design
  • Great clarity, wide soundstage even when listening to regular Dolby Digital sources
  • Different sound modes to suit your taste
  • Ability to customize sub, bass and treble
  • Support for hi-res audio playback (though I have yet to try this for myself)

Cons:
  • Only 1 HDMI input port (might be a deal breaker for some)
  • No ability to calibrate sound bar to your room a la the Yamaha YSP-5600
  • Subwoofer can only be connected wirelessly, which limits placement options.
  • Subwoofer dimensions are relatively large and can limit placement options
  • Limited DTS support (still have to do some testing myself, but not a deal breaker for me)

Concerns:
  • Nowhere in the specs does it specify the DAC used to output hi-res 24/192.
  • LG Soundsync with compatible LG tv (via bluetooth) was gimmicky.
  • Non removable grill means keeping the speakers dust free (especially the upward firing ones) will be near impossible.
Wow, did not realize there was only one HDMI in - what the he*l?

And there is no set up at the beginning - to put in the ceiling height and distance from the listening position from the soundbar?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wow, did not realize there was only one HDMI in - what the he*l?

And there is no set up at the beginning - to put in the ceiling height and distance from the listening position from the soundbar?
Nope, no kind of setup/calibration like that.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Nope, no kind of setup/calibration like that.
How the heck does it know how high your ceiling is and how far from the soundbar your listening position is - to project the Atmos sound to the right place... :confused:

·
Registered
420 Posts
How the heck does it know how high your ceiling is and how far from the soundbar your listening position is - to project the Atmos sound to the right place... :confused:
1 Hdmi would not be a dealbreaker for me as long as arc works properly. Which it hasnt on bose 300 and sony nt5. Good question about calibration....

·
Registered
118 Posts
1 Hdmi would not be a dealbreaker for me as long as arc works properly. Which it hasnt on bose 300 and sony nt5. Good question about calibration....
With ARC not working on properly on two different soundbars, do you think there's something wrong with ARC on your TV?

·
Registered
420 Posts
With ARC not working on properly on two different soundbars, do you think there's something wrong with ARC on your TV?
Arc is known to be poorly implimented across the board. There is a massive thread on it at the bose forums.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think that is what is in the disc and the "DTS" in the lower right is showing what is used for the sound.
I believe you're right. Sound bar display just said DTS. I guess the SJ9 is first and foremost and Atmos soundbar.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So, I'm frustrated that I can get this bloody soundbar to do what I want! Thinking about returning it to be honest.

Here's the scenario:
I've got it connected to my LG B6 via Optical. The sound output setting on the TV is set to LG Sound Sync (Optical). The soundbar tells me that whatever I play to it it's recieving a "PCM" signal (Info button on the remote). That PCM signal is not getting interpreted correctly as a 5.1 signal. I suspected that it wasn't but now I'm sure. I was unsatisified with the surround effect so I bought two LG H3s with the intention of setting them up as the rear surrounds (As LG proclaim I can!). Set them up and lo and behold the soundbar is just splitting the sound over itself and the rear speakers. No discreet signals. The soundbar still reports it's getting a PCM signal.
Changing the TV's sound output to Audio Out (Optical) the soundbar now reports it's getting a "Dolby Audio" signal. Not THIS is a correct 5.1 signal and it outputs correctly to the new rear surrounds.
BUT when I play nomal TV and the TV's Spotify app etc. it splits that signal over the soundbar and two rear surrounds.
As there is NO WAY to adjust how the soundbar processes the input signal I can't solve this. Every other system I've owned has had the ability to cycle through audio modes that interpreted the signal in a different way. The available sound 'modes' are nonadjustable presets so one is stuck with them whether you like them or not.
This soundbar is a closed box with little to no oppertunity to tweak it to my liking.

Am I missing something gang?
Thanks!

·
Registered
118 Posts
So, I'm frustrated that I can get this bloody soundbar to do what I want! Thinking about returning it to be honest.

Here's the scenario:
I've got it connected to my LG B6 via Optical. The sound output setting on the TV is set to LG Sound Sync (Optical). The soundbar tells me that whatever I play to it it's recieving a "PCM" signal (Info button on the remote). That PCM signal is not getting interpreted correctly as a 5.1 signal. I suspected that it wasn't but now I'm sure. I was unsatisified with the surround effect so I bought two LG H3s with the intention of setting them up as the rear surrounds (As LG proclaim I can!). Set them up and lo and behold the soundbar is just splitting the sound over itself and the rear speakers. No discreet signals. The soundbar still reports it's getting a PCM signal.
Changing the TV's sound output to Audio Out (Optical) the soundbar now reports it's getting a "Dolby Audio" signal. Not THIS is a correct 5.1 signal and it outputs correctly to the new rear surrounds.
BUT when I play nomal TV and the TV's Spotify app etc. it splits that signal over the soundbar and two rear surrounds.
As there is NO WAY to adjust how the soundbar processes the input signal I can't solve this. Every other system I've owned has had the ability to cycle through audio modes that interpreted the signal in a different way. The available sound 'modes' are nonadjustable presets so one is stuck with them whether you like them or not.
This soundbar is a closed box with little to no oppertunity to tweak it to my liking.

Am I missing something gang?
Thanks!
Have you configured your cable box (or whatever you use) to output the correct signal? I had to change a setting on my TiVo to output Dolby Audio rather than PCM which made all the difference for my TV watching. Perhaps the spotify app has a similar setting?

Also, just so you can cross it off the list, is it possible for you to connect your B6 to the SJ9 via HDMI-ARC and see (hear) if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have you configured your cable box (or whatever you use) to output the correct signal? I had to change a setting on my TiVo to output Dolby Audio rather than PCM which made all the difference for my TV watching. Perhaps the spotify app has a similar setting?

Also, just so you can cross it off the list, is it possible for you to connect your B6 to the SJ9 via HDMI-ARC and see (hear) if that makes a difference?
I'm playing movies via the Plex app on my TV and using Netflix/Amazon etc. All of these outputted perfectly to my previous 5.1 system via the optical cable. I wish I could specify Dolby Audio either on the TV or the soundbar but no joy.

I can output via HDMI_ARC and that gives me the ability to set the output from the TV to be either 'Auto' or 'PCM'. When I choose 'Auto' I get the correct Dolby 5.1 signal to the soundbar. It seems that the SJ9 can't interperet a PCM signal as a 5.1 stream where my other system could do just that.
Am I correct in thinking that a PCM signal should be 5.1? And the soundbar should be able to recognise 5.1 channels and output them accordingly?

Thanks for the help mate.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm playing movies via the Plex app on my TV and using Netflix/Amazon etc. All of these outputted perfectly to my previous 5.1 system via the optical cable. I wish I could specify Dolby Audio either on the TV or the soundbar but no joy.

I can output via HDMI_ARC and that gives me the ability to set the output from the TV to be either 'Auto' or 'PCM'. When I choose 'Auto' I get the correct Dolby 5.1 signal to the soundbar. It seems that the SJ9 can't interperet a PCM signal as a 5.1 stream where my other system could do just that.
Am I correct in thinking that a PCM signal should be 5.1? And the soundbar should be able to recognise 5.1 channels and output them accordingly?

Thanks for the help mate.
In my opinion - what you want is dts or dolby. If connected via hdmi you are getting those then you are good to go. Pcm will not sound as good and should be avoided.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yep, I want Dolby or DTS. So PCM isn't the optimal format?
Not to my ears no. I just returned a Sony nt5 soundbar because it was mostly passing pcm. When i could get lossless dolby or dts through it, it sounded fantastic. Unfortunately it liked pcm better which sounded flat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not to my ears no. I just returned a Sony nt5 soundbar because it was mostly passing pcm. When i could get lossless dolby or dts through it, it sounded fantastic. Unfortunately it liked pcm better which sounded flat.
Now that I've heard the difference for myself, I completely agree.

·
Registered
420 Posts
After going through 3 soundbars now, I wish there were some actual reviews out on this. I think to be safe Im gonna wait before plunking down the cash.

41 - 60 of 2014 Posts