AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1088 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If I were to make an educated guess as a software engineer, I’d say that the screen sharing device name comes from the device itself and is embedded in the device’s firmware. It’s likely that LG started with a clone of the UP970’s firmware when making the UBK90 firmware and missed a find and replace.
Ah... makes sense! If that's the case then I imagine LG will, or should, correct the anomaly with a future firmware update.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've had my UBK90 for about a week now.
So far, so good.
I got it Best Buy.
My only gripe is that the UBK90 won't put out DV to my Sony XBR65X930E. There's a conflict with Sony's DV profile.
I hope that gets resolved soon.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I will say that the ability to disable upscaling should be standard on all players. When you consider that a premium player like the Oppo 203 has this option - even though by all accounts it has an excellent upscaler as you would expect from its price - there is no reason LG should assume its scaling is so awesome they should force you to use it instead of the A9 chip on their 2018 OLEDS or a Sony X1 Extreme equipped TV. It's stupid.
Im thinking that the way to maybe bypass the player doing the scaling is to turn the player on as usual but immediately select your desired output resolution BEFORE inserting a disc or anything else. Ill try that too. It might not work but it seemed like after I had watched a 4K disc and wanted to change resolutions that it disabled everything but 2160p. Weird. I hope we can figure this out since this is a big negative, IMO. If I had known I might of not even bought it. But we'll see. Its gonna have to wow me over the next week with NO freezes or issues! ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Im thinking that the way to maybe bypass the player doing the scaling is to turn the player on as usual but immediately select your desired output resolution BEFORE inserting a disc or anything else. Ill try that too. It might not work but it seemed like after I had watched a 4K disc and wanted to change resolutions that it disabled everything but 2160p. Weird. I hope we can figure this out since this is a big negative, IMO. If I had known I might of not even bought it. But we'll see. Its gonna have to wow me over the next week with NO freezes or issues! ;)
On my setup with an LG C8, the only two options I have for resolution is Auto and 2160p. Everything else is greyed out.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just to clarify, the HDR issue was after fast forwarding through large portions of the movie while looking for a scene to test stuff on. That happened on a 4K blu ray of Red Sparrow. It never lost its sharpness, just the HDR effect.

What I noticed was kind of soft was regular blu ray upscaled to 4K before being sent to the TV. Sometimes this is hard to judge because not every transfer is equal. Some movies have a soft transfer because the studio just didn't do a very good job. However, I'm more inclined to think it was an upscaling issue in my particular case because I was testing with a Pixar film. Those things are always sharp as far as I know. Plus as I mentioned, Coco streamed via Netflix looked amazing. It wasn't the same movie but a similar CGI animated film. I don't think regular HD streamed should look sharper than Blu Ray. The bitrate on the physical media is much higher and more stable.

And again, keep in mind I'm still not using a certified (18 Gbps) cable yet. In other words, stay tuned. :p

I will say that the ability to disable upscaling should be standard on all players. When you consider that a premium player like the Oppo 203 has this option - even though by all accounts it has an excellent upscaler as you would expect from its price - there is no reason LG should assume its scaling is so awesome they should force you to use it instead of the A9 chip on their 2018 OLEDS or a Sony X1 Extreme equipped TV. It's stupid.
Thanks for the clarification!
As to using or purchasing a Certified Premium 18Gbs cable be careful who you buy it from. To be safe, I personally, would steer clear of any unknown seller on ebay. In fact you even have to be careful when purchasing from Amazon as some sellers on Amazon are nothing more that store fronts to China.

As discussed in other AVS forum threads... the original safeguard to making sure you were buying a Certified cable was to look for the orange certified label:

However... even if you find a cable on Amazon or wherever advertised as "Certified Premium"... it may not be. :( Unfortunately China has picked up on the desire of buyers seeking the "Certified Premium" label and so there are now some fake cables out there that carry the label. You best bet is to buy from a trusted and reputable seller and not get sucked in by finding the same cable at a lower price.

Although it won't help with the initial purchase... if you go to the Google Play Store you can download an app provided by the HDMI Certification program. Just search the app store for "HDMI Premium Cable". Once installed you can use the app scan the hologram Bar code on the Orange Certified Premium cable as shown in the above photo. The app doesn't identify the characteristics of the cable but simply identifies if it's truly "Certified" by HDMI Licensing, LLC. If it isn't you will see a message similar to this:

If you buy a cable that is sold and ships from from Amazon the return and credit is no problem. If you purchased from a third party via Amazon you may or may not run into some resistance.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow, didn't know there was such a racket going on with premium HDMI cables!

Thanks for the info!

I ordered from Monoprice.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wow, didn't know there was such a racket going on with premium HDMI cables!
Thanks for the info!

I ordered from Monoprice.
Yep... I would feel ordering directly from Monoprice would be a safe bet. In this case they actually have a cheaper price than Amazon! That said... the quickest way to find/determine if the item you are buying is shipped and sold from Amazon is to click on the price section under "Compare with similar items". Below is an example using the Monoprice HDMI cable. As you can see there are multiple sellers of the same cable at different prices.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
On my setup with an LG C8, the only two options I have for resolution is Auto and 2160p. Everything else is greyed out.
Damn, I swear I had 1080p selected when I first turned on the player but Im probably stuck at Auto or 2160p. Seems the player is "determining" that the TV supports 2160p so it locks it in. Meh. :mad:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I could have sworn I posted this already. Did I break a rule and get deleted?

I'm glad there is a thread for owners now. It was a bit hard being in the other one.

Interestingly, when I run the signal through my now-working audio system (got a replacement amp), which is based around a Marantz AV7704, everything is fine. This is using "old" high speed cables (premium Monoprice ones should be here tomorrow or Monday). The Marantz is doing something that cleans up the handshake part of the situation. So the player _seems_ fine - been through the Martian (also a good reference disc, IMO), which never played past 10 minutes, Saving Private Ryan (which admittedly did work) and now am 45 minutes into Inception. All HDR movies.

It's interesting that the TV would be so much more sensitive to handshake issues. Worth noting, at the least. But I'm really enjoying everything about UHD right now. When my original amp gets back from the shop I'll be adding Atmos toppers to my speakers to really enhance things.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Damn, I swear I had 1080p selected when I first turned on the player but Im probably stuck at Auto or 2160p. Seems the player is "determining" that the TV supports 2160p so it locks it in. Meh. :mad:
Haven't had a chance to look through all the menu features of the UBK90 yet but I believe its predecessor (the LG UP970) had a option in the menu that let you disable the upscaling feature which ultimately turned resolution control over to the TV.

·
Registered
132 Posts
From the owner's manual, which I just accessed online:

When this unit is connected to a TV that
supports Dolby Vision, the resolution can only
be set to [Auto] or [2160p]

So there it is.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Haven't had a chance to look through all the menu features of the UBK90 yet but I believe its predecessor (the LG UP970) had a option in the menu that let you disable the upscaling feature which ultimately turned resolution control over to the TV.
Just watched Jaws on blu-ray - still an all-time favorite of mine. :)

Played flawlessly but I was NOT able to find a way to change the player from outputting 2160p. So, the player did the upscaling. It looked decent but I wonder if the TV could have done better? Its an older title so I dont expect it to look like Planet Earth 2 or anything. I dunno. I have to watch more blu-rays to determine if this is truly a problem or not. UHD titles look great but I still have lots of blu-rays and will have them for a while so upscaling is important.

The evaluation continues....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just watched Jaws on blu-ray - still an all-time favorite of mine. :)

Played flawlessly but I was NOT able to find a way to change the player from outputting 2160p. So, the player did the upscaling. It looked decent but I wonder if the TV could have done better? Its an older title so I dont expect it to look like Planet Earth 2 or anything. I dunno. I have to watch more blu-rays to determine if this is truly a problem or not. UHD titles look great but I still have lots of blu-rays and will have them for a while so upscaling is important.

The evaluation continues....
I'm thinking of picking up a Sony X700 at Best Buy this weekend and comparing 1080p Blu Ray playback from from the Sony with its upscaling disabled to the LG UBK90. I'm still within the 14 day return window of the LG. The loser of that test would get returned. If it is a draw then I keep the LG since I don't have to deal with toggling Dolby Vision on and off.

I expect 4k blu ray playback to be identical between the two players.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up a Sony X700 at Best Buy this weekend and comparing 1080p Blu Ray playback from from the Sony with its upscaling disabled to the LG UBK90. I'm still within the 14 day return window of the LG. The loser of that test would get returned. If it is a draw then I keep the LG since I don't have to deal with toggling Dolby Vision on and off.

I expect 4k blu ray playback to be identical between the two players.
Interested in the results. I'm on the fence between these players. From my understanding the Sony x700 upscales quite well. Unsure if it's better to have the player upscale or the tv, LG B7.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Interested in the results. I'm on the fence between these players. From my understanding the Sony x700 upscales quite well. Unsure if it's better to have the player upscale or the tv, LG B7.
I'm curious too.

Vincent Teoh made a video once where he concluded that the Sony X1 Extreme Processor upscaled lower res content better than the Oppo 203. He was quite impressed even though the two were close. So I figure if the Sony X1 Extreme beat the Oppo - a $600 player at the time, then it should beat the Sony X700 and the LG UBK90. It also stands to reason that we could expect similar results from the A9 processor in the newest LG OLEDs.

I've tried Googling to find out what hardware is doing the upscaling in the X700 and UBK90 but have had no luck.

Anyway, my educated guess is that your B7 upscales better than a budget 4K player. Now, cheaper TVs like the TCLs or Vizios might be another story.

·
Registered
525 Posts
From the owner's manual, which I just accessed online:

When this unit is connected to a TV that
supports Dolby Vision, the resolution can only
be set to [Auto] or [2160p]

So there it is.
You are correct. I just tested a few 4K movies and standard blu-ray movies. No matter which format you use, you can only select Auto or 2160p. For me that is not a dealbreaker, since the pq for standard Blu-ray looks great to me. BUT, they should have an option to let the owner change to 1080p when watching a standard blu-ray.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Makes sense. If you want to watch a standard blu-ray, then you can go in and change the resolution. I "believe" this will let the tv do the upscaling once you move it from 2160p.
I wasn’t able to switch to 1080p for Jaws though. Everything as disabled except for Auto or 2160p. I’ll recheck but I think any of us with Dolby vision TVs are limited to those two choices even if we watch a standard Blu-ray.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I wasn’t able to switch to 1080p for Jaws though. Everything as disabled except for Auto or 2160p. I’ll recheck but I think any of us with Dolby vision TVs are limited to those two choices even if we watch a standard Blu-ray.
Correct, I just changed my original statement after doing some testing. I think the pq for standard Blu-rays looks great but I am curious why they chose to "block" the 1080p option for TV's with DV.

·
Registered
908 Posts
There is already a LG UBK90/80 4K Blu-Ray Player Owners Thread. This thread is unnecessary.
This is the first and was a long time in coming. The thread you may be referring to is the "LG unveils 2018 UHD..."

21 - 40 of 1088 Posts