AVS Forum banner

501 - 520 of 1544 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enphenate /forum/post/19609393

Maybe watch a few movies and TV shows here and there, but rarely as the only TV show i currently watch is The Walking Dead.

Too bad we have to wait till October for season 2

Quote:
Is the 37 model going to pass 4:4:4 like the 32" does? Is it even worth upgrading my 32LF11 model for the 37LD450?

Definitive 4:4:4 and low lag proof have been shown for the 32" and 42" S-IPS versions. However, rawashdeh's 37" S-IPS results show the complete opposite. So currently its a mystery whether there's something fundamentally different with the 37" version, or if LG is using different firmware, or if rawashdeh has a bad test setup (which I don't think is the case, since he seems to know what he's talking about).

Specwise, between the LF11 and LD450, I don't see any major difference. The only *potential* difference that you may see is if your LF11 is non S-IPS -- as a LD450 with S-IPS panel will definitely have better colors (but crummy black levels). Also, the LD450 supports bluray 24p playback via 3:2 pulldown. But since you're hooking it up to a PC, this capability probably wouldn't mean much to you anyways.

So if you're perfectly happy with your current LF11, "upgrading" to a LD450 will yield negligible gains, imo.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by De3k /forum/post/19603405

UPDATE:

After much deliberation and hours of OCD tweaking, I've relented. Yesterday, I returned my 32LD450 in exchange for a new Blu-ray player (my old Samsung died) and a Sony surround sound speaker bar (the built-ins on my 50" plasma are starting to produce some ... strange sounds).

For me, the poor black level performance was the nail in the coffin. I was unable to achieve better than 0.2 cd/m2 without making serious compromises. I was able to claw my way into 0.1 territory by altering gamma and sacrificing the clarity of my whites, but that's not a trade-off I'm willing to make.

For those of you who aren't unapologetic, rabid sticklers for PQ, the LD450 is a fantastic HDTV. It's one of the best - if not THE best - options for PC use that exists at the moment considering factors like 4:4:4, input lag, panel response and sharpness controls (for text). If I used my rig purely for gaming, I probably would have been 100% satisfied with the LG. However, when Blu-ray viewing enters the equation, the weak black level is simply too much of a drawback.

Too bad, really. I'm back on my 24" HP IPS, which manages 0.1 cd/m2 without any trade-offs. Don't get me wrong, 0.1 is still garbage, but the text is pin sharp and it's a step in the right direction. Ultimately, I'll suffer until something more appropriate appears.

Cheers!

Noooooooooo!

Do you happen to still have the settings you used to get it at what you believe would be it's "best"?

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum /forum/post/19609537

Too bad we have to wait till October for season 2

Definitive 4:4:4 and low lag proof have been shown for the 32" and 42" S-IPS versions. However, rawashdeh's 37" S-IPS results show the complete opposite. So currently its a mystery whether there's something fundamentally different with the 37" version, or if LG is using different firmware, or if rawashdeh has a bad test setup (which I don't think is the case, since he seems to know what he's talking about).

Specwise, between the LF11 and LD450, I don't see any major difference. The only *potential* difference that you may see is if your LF11 is non S-IPS -- as a LD450 with S-IPS panel will definitely have better colors (but crummy black levels). Also, the LD450 supports bluray 24p playback via 3:2 pulldown. But since you're hooking it up to a PC, this capability probably wouldn't mean much to you anyways.

So if you're perfectly happy with your current LF11, "upgrading" to a LD450 will yield negligible gains, imo.

Sigh. I hope he comes back and reports his settings / FW and stuff.

I have been planning on upgrading for a while and my friend wants to buy my current 32LF11 off of me.

I would like to move a size or two higher but it feels like 42" might be a little too big for sitting 3/4 feet away. the weird situation with the 37" is really discouraging.

I guess ill just have to wait and see. Probably going to return the 42" panny in the next few days and hopefully get some info on wether or not the 37 is a dud.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I am planning on doing a side by side comparison of the 37 and 32 inch versions, I have a feeling I might have a dud on the 37 so definetly further testing needed there. I finally figured out how to get into the service menu on this set so I guess I should be able to tell the firmware.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawashdeh /forum/post/19610767

Well I am planning on doing a side by side comparison of the 37 and 32 inch versions, I have a feeling I might have a dud on the 37 so definetly further testing needed there. I finally figured out how to get into the service menu on this set so I guess I should be able to tell the firmware.

Sounds good! let us know of the results
Im going to hold off on purchasing one of these until i figure things out or i can just grab the 42" but id prefer the 37.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawashdeh /forum/post/19610767

To figure out which firmware you're using, hit Menu then the Red button (which is Customer Support, I think). One of the sub menus will tell you firmware version.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just to dump a few close-ups of my 42LD450.

nVidia GTX 260, 4:4:4 output, very nice.

As a bonus, and piece of our only HDTV channel, mind the blockiness:

I'll post some more as time permits. Plan to test the input lag properly and do some PC gaming

A question: where to grab the latest firmware, and possibly a changelog?

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran0909 /forum/post/19611435

I'll post some more as time permits. Plan to test the input lag properly and do some PC gaming

Nice, thanks for more 4:4:4 evidence on the 42", much appreciated

As to where to get firmware, I have no clue. I've scoured through google results and couldn't find anything. If anyone knows, I would be interested as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I purchased the TV a couple of days ago and the picture looks very good! However, I hear a buzzing noise from the back of the TV when the volume is low or when using the TV as a monitor. I have an older Olevia LCD in the bedroom and I can barely hear any buzzing from it. If I giggle the HDMI1 cable a little I can alter the sound somewhat. Anyone come across this? It's kind of annoying!

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurtinx /forum/post/19615634

I purchased the TV a couple of days ago and the picture looks very good! However, I hear a buzzing noise from the back of the TV when the volume is low or when using the TV as a monitor. I have an older Olevia LCD in the bedroom and I can barely hear any buzzing from it. If I giggle the HDMI1 cable a little I can alter the sound somewhat. Anyone come across this? It's kind of annoying!

Many electronics are known to have a humm or buzz. My receiver does it, my plasma i just bought does it etc.

If it is convenient for you, would you mind to do a few tests on your 37" 450 and see if it properly passes 4:4:4 and such with a computer in order to compare your results with rawashdeh? It would probably determine if infact the 37 version of the 450 is the odd ball of the 3?

Im still holding off on buying the 37 if it doesnt do it properly, and will probably just get the 42 if it comes down to it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks enphenate! Yeah, I certainly have had electronics that made humming/buzzing noise, however this TV is louder than all the others.

Based on the product code, I have an S-IPS panel- I would be glad to perform the 4:4:4: test, if it's not too complicated.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcurtinx /forum/post/19616286

Thanks enphenate! Yeah, I certainly have had electronics that made humming/buzzing noise, however this TV is louder than all the others.

Based on the product code, I have an S-IPS panel- I would be glad to perform the 4:4:4: test, if it's not too complicated.

Hmm it might settle down after a while, if not i would maybe return it and see if a new one produces less noise.

Here is a link that refers to the test method!

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those are nice pictures, What camera did you use by the way?

I am starting to really consider picking up a nice camera on sale this christmas to get on the those high clarity pixel shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran0909 /forum/post/19611435

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawashdeh
Those are nice pictures, What camera did you use by the way?

I am starting to really consider picking up a nice camera on sale this christmas to get on the those high clarity pixel shots.
I used a Nikon D90 50mm f1.8 and and extension tube. Though I have no macro rails so focus is not as sharp as I'd like, meh.

------

Firmware? C'mon someone should have an idea where to get it. Mine is 3.00.25.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So, do I simply save Colmino's file and display it on the screen using Paint? If so, it certainly looks like zoran0909's photo- I did take some pictures and will post them tonight (though they are not as clear as zoran0909's).

501 - 520 of 1544 Posts