AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 1544 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPMcD /forum/post/19818914

Hello everyone,

Recently I have been wanting to hook my 32ld450 to my laptop. I have been reading and know this tv is great for pc use. But my laptop only has vga port (I think I read DVI to HDMI is better). My graphics card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD. So do I need to fix anything with that first?

So will a svga cable to the vga pc port on the back of the tv display proper 4:4:4? Is there any better alternative to connecting my laptop? I'm using it to watch movies. My cables haven't came in yet so I have not been able to hook it up.

Its been assumed the VGA connection is 4:4:4 capable. I haven't verified it myself, so I don't now for certain. Try it out and let us know

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put in your calibration settings linked in the FAQ, thepoohcontinuum (great FAQ by the way). I'm sure something is wrong, because the picture just looks objectively bad, like totally blown out, overly saturated. I double checked the settings, and i don't get what i'm doing wrong.

Also, i can confirm the headphone jack static issue (32" here). Had the PS3 hooked up via HDMI. Seems like this is universal on all models, because i haven't seen anyone state that their headphone jack doesn't have the issue.

Next, i found that thread about 48 Hz and 24p and all that fun stuff: 1080/24p on a 60hz HDTV

It's suggested, but not 100% confirmed, that other 60 Hz LG models do a 2:2 pulldown at 48 Hz.

Also see this thread for more discussion, but once again no definitive answer: 60hz and 5:5 pulldown

Then there's this page , but i don't know how credible it is. Just found it through Google. It says this:

"Key features on LG 720p 60Hz HDTVs include [...] 24p Real Cinema for the correct processing of 24p content and which in the case of the LD350 and the LD450 60Hz LCD TVs uses a 48Hz refresh rate (2:2 pulldown processing) by processing each movie frame twice to eliminate the resultant judder effect associated with the 2:3 pulldown processing [...]."

If accurate, that would be fantastic. Can't test it myself at the moment though, i don't have any good 24p footage here.

Another question: I'm thinking about sending this 32" TV back and getting the 42" model down the line. Are they identical in picture quality, assuming they're both IPS? Is the 42" model just as good when used as a PC display, if the viewing distance is adjusted accordingly?

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum /forum/post/19818958

Its been assumed the VGA connection is 4:4:4 capable. I haven't verified it myself, so I don't now for certain. Try it out and let us know

The VGA on my 42LD450 is 4:4:4 capable.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24k /forum/post/19819753

Another question: I'm thinking about sending this 32" TV back and getting the 42" model down the line. Are they identical in picture quality, assuming they're both IPS? Is the 42" model just as good when used as a PC display, if the viewing distance is adjusted accordingly?

I cannot speak to the 32LD450 as I have not used this one, but I did buy a 42LD450 about a month ago and I am using it as my fulltime computer monitor (8 hours a day) and it has been working great so far (I do mostly programming with it). Mine is IPS. You need to make sure you get 4:4:4 working properly with your video card in order to make text comfortable, but otherwise it works great. I wanted something large so I could put it farther away as it is more comfortable on the eyes that way. Mine is about 55" away from my eyes and seems comfortable to me and everything is very readable.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNovaNick /forum/post/19820252

I wanted something large so I could put it farther away as it is more comfortable on the eyes that way.

Yes, that's exactly what i was thinking of doing. Good to hear that it's working out for you.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24k /forum/post/19819753

I put in your calibration settings linked in the FAQ, thepoohcontinuum (great FAQ by the way). I'm sure something is wrong, because the picture just looks objectively bad, like totally blown out, overly saturated. I double checked the settings, and i don't get what i'm doing wrong.

Kind of hard to say what's wrong. One possible explanation is your TV is radically different than mine in some way (different S-IPS panel, different firmware, different electronic components, different video card, etc), so my settings doesn't translate well over to your TV. Or another explanation is that I'm a weirdo that likes overly saturated picture quality
. You could try the settings from the other users listed in the FAQ and see how those fare.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum /forum/post/19823217

Or another explanation is that I'm a weirdo that likes overly saturated picture quality

No, i doubt it. Otherwise i wouldn't be the first to comment on it, as many in this thread seem to be liking your settings.

I tried Phase700B’s settings as well, and they also seem totally off. So something on my end must be jacked.

But that's OK for now. I'm happy with the slightly modified standard settings i have for PC use now. And as i said, i decided to return the TV in a few days and get the 42LD450 a few weeks down the line (or the 47", if i can get a good deal), so i'm not worrying about optimizing PQ for now.

Does anyone have more comments on the 24p stuff? I messed around with it for a bit yesterday. Set the PC to output 24 Hz and played some slow panning scenes while toggling the Real Cinema setting on and off. If we're assuming that the TV switches to 48 Hz if it detects a 24p signal, then my non-scientific guess based on these tests is:

Real Cinema off: Every frame is displayed once and then repeated once. Straight 2:2 pulldown.

Real Cinema on: Every frame is displayed once, followed by a second, interpolated frame.

That's what it looked like to me, anyways. With Real Cinema turned off, pans are noticeably more choppy. Turning it on makes them slightly less choppy, but not as smooth as a 120 Hz TV with 5:5 could make them, because it's still only 48 Hz.

I'm not enough of a purist to tell if 24p with Real Cinema turned off reproduces accurate film judder on this TV. Would be cool if it did.

·
Registered
643 Posts
So I finally traded in my old DLP set for the LG47LD450 and I've been reading about 4:4:4 and other issues. Let me confess that I know very little about these issues and the tests discussed. I did, however, notice that boundaries between colors (esp red and blue or green) looked fuzzy when I was looking at test patterns on my computer which uses the Nvidia 8800GT. I followed the EDID fix procedure described in this forum and it seems to have worked. However, my pix look different from the test patterns showed here--maybe I am missing something, but I've posted a pic of my results below. I do not have a 'before' pic, but this looks a lot cleaner than I recall from the earlier tests. I did have to resize the desktop due to Nividia overscan and the image was displayed in Paint--I'm not even sure if that is the right way to display this test card. Does the image below show 4:4:4 compliance? Any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone know if LG will keep these feature for their 2011 version of this TV?

Looks like the LK is the replacement for LD. I don't know if I should rush out and get the LD while it's still in stock. Not sure what besides the extra HDMI the LK offers.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansxx /forum/post/19826863

Does the image below show 4:4:4 compliance? Any thoughts welcomed.

At first glance, it looks like it passes 4:4:4. However, the portion shown in your pic is not a good area to verify 4:4:4 sampling. You should use the area with the 1-pixel wide columns of red. See the 4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling section of the FAQ (link in my sig) for an example of 4:4:4 and non-4:4:4.

·
Registered
643 Posts
thepoohcontunuum--thank you. I thought I was in the right area (the big 20 is just to the right). I did not see anything that looked like your pic, but I will try again!

Thanks and best,

Brian

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z28 /forum/post/19826982

Anyone know if LG will keep these feature for their 2011 version of this TV?

Looks like the LK is the replacement for LD. I don't know if I should rush out and get the LD while it's still in stock. Not sure what besides the extra HDMI the LK offers.

Kind of hard to say. If I had to make a theory, the indication of an extra HDMI port might mean the xxLD450 will be completely phased out, and be replaced by the xxLD520 for the 2011 year. In other words, the 2011 LK model is just the 2010 xxLD520, but in a different bezel.

·
Registered
643 Posts
thepoohcontinuum,

here is a pic of what I thought was the same area you were looking at the; the "2" of the "20" is visible to the right. It seems to look very different from your pattern--I don't seem to see any 1 pixel columns. Do you have any thoughts re this difference? I think I am in the right place, or am I not?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansxx /forum/post/19827196

here is a pic of what I thought was the same area you were looking at the; the "2" of the "20" is visible to the right. It seems to look very different from your pattern--I don't seem to see any 1 pixel columns. Do you have any thoughts re this difference? I think I am in the right place, or am I not?

You must have a different test pic. Are you using the same pic that I used? See this - link .

·
Registered
643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoohcontinuum /forum/post/19827284

You must have a different test pic. Are you using the same pic that I used? See this - link .

Thanks. I think I have found the problem. The 1920*1080 Belle Nuit test chart I downloaded from their site ( http://www.belle-nuit.com/testchart.html ) is a little different from the one in the examples here. There appear to be no 1 pixel lines in the area where the tests i have seen here show 1 pixel red lines. maybe the chart has changed. I'll look around and see if I can find the chart used here.

Best,

Brian

·
Registered
643 Posts
Please see the attached pic (not the best focus). Looks as if the mod works on the 47 inch with no mods needed. Thanks for the help and input and patience!

Best,

Brian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brian looks like you passed now.

Is it safe to say that it's more or less the setup that is causing those who can't reach 4:4:4 rather than say the panel being defective or what not?

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwei /forum/post/19829471

Brian looks like you passed now.

Is it safe to say that it's more or less the setup that is causing those who can't reach 4:4:4 rather than say the panel being defective or what not?

Pretty much. There's 4:4:4 proof for all sizes of the LD450. Most (if not all) nvidia video cards have a high success rate after using the EDID fix. But a few ATI cards are still questionable.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looks like I may have failed the 4:4:4 test. I'm using a Radeon 5850 with YCC 4:4:4 enabled, and my receiver confirms the input and output is YCC 4:4:4... Could this just be my poor photography/strange angle, or is this definitive fail? I didn't use a tripod to stabilize my older camera. I couldn't find the full test image, so I used this image: http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6...scrolleasy.gif

Edit: Uploaded a second photo that looks a little better. Still unsure.

These pictures are coming out exactly the same in YCC 4:2:2 mode :/ Third attachment is set to 4:2:2 in CCC. This is an S-IPS 32".

781 - 800 of 1544 Posts