AVS Forum banner

4441 - 4460 of 5122 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/20530145

Congratulations on your purchase.

FWIW, I chose not to get an internet capable set because that's just one less thing to go wrong (if it does) with the set and a Blu-ray player with built-in WiFi is usually more robust and easier to update over time than the tv will be.

Very astute Mr. Pylot....maybe I wasn't paying attention earlier and until seeing this post never put it into conscious thought when making my decision. But the last thing I want is an 'internet or apps' problem taking down my $1000+ TV (okay, okay, so I paid just a little over half that but the replacement cost today would be $1K). Even an easy warranty fix requires a service call, something I don't particularly relish the thought of. The BD player with built in WiFi and apps is much more robust and would be a fraction to replace if necessary.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossFit1 /forum/post/20530591

Very astute Mr. Pylot....maybe I wasn't paying attention earlier and until seeing this post never put it into conscious thought when making my decision. But the last thing I want is an 'internet or apps' problem taking down my $1000+ TV (okay, okay, so I paid just a little over half that but the replacement cost today would be $1K). Even an easy warranty fix requires a service call, something I don't particularly relish the thought of. The BD player with built in WiFi and apps is much more robust and would be a fraction to replace if necessary.

Howdy do neighbor
That was basically my reason for going with the Panasonic 210. I don't need some of the extra bells and whistles that comes with it but the built-in WiFi (as opposed to a dongle) sold me (that, and the price). I still use the ATV2 for Netflix and streaming from our laptops, iPhones, iTouchs, etc but the addition of Vudu, Pandora, etc is really sweet. Besides, the ATV2 only does 720p but VuDu on the Panasonic streams 1080p. We watched The Kings Speech the other night and it was perfect!

Nice to see you stop by

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
LG ST-600

Along the same lines for WiFi connectivity, I just noticed in this morning's paper (yes, I still read a newspaper and prefer to get my news that way) that our local Fry's has LG's new STB, the ST-600, on sale for a little bit more than the AppleTV2. Looks exactly the same. NetApps, USB2.0, HDMI, Web browser, and DLNA. Seems to have a little more functionality than the ATV2 as far as NetApps and the web browser go (ATV2 doesn't have a web browser). I've never used DLNA but if it's as easy and robust as the ATV2 via Airfoil it could be a contenda
Don't know about the output. ATV2 can only do 720p.

So, for those of you who are on the fence about getting an internet-ready tv and don't want to buy a new Blu-ray player just to get that, this might be a nice alternative for your LG set.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,444 ·

Just something for Otto and the west coast gang to chuckle about. It was 92 here yesterday, my thermometer says 95 now and they are reporting 99 at the airport 7 miles away. Next 3 days will be 90+. Then we go back to the mid-upper 70s. Global warming?

BTW. How's the "rad" count Otto? I do hear that it ain't over in Japan yet. Between high temps, Eastern Tent Caterpillars by the thousands here, and tornadoes in Massachusetts(?), I don't know what to make of this. Then we have the national "debt limit". . .

Ok, sorry. Back to the regularly scheduled programs.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B

Just something for Otto and the west coast gang to chuckle about. It was 92 here yesterday, my thermometer says 95 now and they are reporting 99 at the airport 7 miles away. Next 3 days will be 90+. Then we go back to the mid-upper 70s. Global warming?

BTW. How's the "rad" count Otto? I do hear that it ain't over in Japan yet. Between high temps, Eastern Tent Caterpillars by the thousands here, and tornadoes in Massachusetts(?), I don't know what to make of this. Then we have the national "debt limit". . .

92!
What the hell is going on? I'm convinced the Ruskies have a weather machine and are are using it for world domination.

Rained on Saturday but it's close to 70 today so we're slowly starting to summer up. My vegetable garden is looking really good with all of this rain and sometimes sun. Plants are really big, strong, and healthy. My guess is that once they fruit (I do have some tomatoes, serrano's, and crooked neck squash on the way) they will be really big and fruitful this year. Of course, the light dusting of plutonium probably helped a bit
Even my cacti are flowering big time. Speaking of Pt, the counts are still at around "normal" background. However, CrossFit1 is closer to the "source" (about 20 miles) so maybe his situation is different.

Speaking of national debt limit, maybe Ms. Palin will be able to get a handle on it cause she seems to have a good handle on U.S. history........

Definitely need to get back to our regularly scheduled programming

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/20533710

92!
What the hell is going on? I'm convinced the Ruskies have a weather machine and are are using it for world domination.

Rained on Saturday but it's close to 70 today so we're slowly starting to summer up. My vegetable garden is looking really good with all of this rain and sometimes sun. Plants are really big, strong, and healthy. My guess is that once they fruit (I do have some tomatoes, serrano's, and crooked neck squash on the way) they will be really big and fruitful this year. Of course, the light dusting of plutonium probably helped a bit
Even my cacti are flowering big time. Speaking of Pt, the counts are still at around "normal" background. However, CrossFit1 is closer to the "source" (about 20 miles) so maybe his situation is different.

Speaking of national debt limit, maybe Ms. Palin will be able to get a handle on it cause she seems to have a good handle on U.S. history........

Definitely need to get back to our regularly scheduled programming

Between the distance, protection from even a thin ozone layer, and a few late season storms that push airborne radiation into the ocean, the Geiger is barely counting here. There is a huge difference between western nuke designs, like the Japanese use, and the design the Russians used at Chernobyl. The Chernobyl reactor had no containment vessel and a massive exposure of hot fuel rods during their event. Even with the explosion the news loved to show in the Japanese event, there was surprisingly little release of hot materials. They have a hella cleanup ahead of them but in actuality, given their resources and a lot of western help, there will be little eco-damage.

Today started out beautifully clear and bright at the beach. By early afternoon there was a little cloud layer building, and now, at 10:30pm or so, there is a very thick, very dark and threatening cloud layer completely blanketing the Monterey Bay. Weird day too, really whacky people doing really whacky things today.

Back to regular programing....so this Panasonic BluRay has a really unique feature I just found out about. This one has two heads, a separate video and audio head, and two HDMI outs. It can output signal through the 'Main' out with both video and audio going to one input as I have it set up now into my TV. But for a dedicated HT set-up, it can output video signal through the 'Main' HDMI out to the TV, and the audio through the 'Sub' HDMI out to a receiver. The literature says the separate outputs allow increased bandwidth and signal for both a better quality picture, and really spectacular audio.

Just a lucky open box find on a dusty back shelf at BB!

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B /forum/post/20533405

I remember summers in Los Angeles....100+ degree days for five, six...or more days in a row. And smog so thick you could chew it. I remember coming home after a day of bike riding, treasure hunting, building army forts......and collapsing on the couch with my lungs burning. And an earthquake or two in place of tornadoes. I don't envy you the heat now, there's a lot to be said for living within ear-shot of the pounding surf.

BTW, thanks for the recommendation on the Jeff Beck disc! I'm going to have to pick that one up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys, got a few questions that hopefully LD520 series owners can answer for me.

Right now I've got an 42" LD450, and I love it. Great HDTV, perfect for my gaming laptop + 360. Anyways, my mom has a 42" LD520 that I told her to purchase a couple of months ago. When I was telling her that my TV is the same as hers, just without 120 hz, she told me she doesn't even need 120 hz and wouldn't mind trading me if it made me happier. Nice, mom.

But before I swap the TV's, I've got some technical questions:

1. Does the LD520 support 4:4:4 chroma subsampling through HDMI like the LD450 does?

2. Is there a panel lottery like the LD450? I'm lucky enough to have a W serial numbered S-IPS panel LD450, and I'd hate to trade it for a non S-IPS paneled LD520.

3. Does the LD520 have any shortcomings vs. the LD450, or is it pretty much the same TV with fancier features, even less input lag, and 120 hz?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,449 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustipated! /forum/post/20541003

Hi guys, got a few questions that hopefully LD520 series owners can answer for me.

Right now I've got an 42" LD450, and I love it. Great HDTV, perfect for my gaming laptop + 360. Anyways, my mom has a 42" LD520 that I told her to purchase a couple of months ago. When I was telling her that my TV is the same as hers, just without 120 hz, she told me she doesn't even need 120 hz and wouldn't mind trading me if it made me happier. Nice, mom.

But before I swap the TV's, I've got some technical questions:

1. Does the LD520 support 4:4:4 chroma subsampling through HDMI like the LD450 does?

2. Is there a panel lottery like the LD450? I'm lucky enough to have a W serial numbered S-IPS panel LD450, and I'd hate to trade it for a non S-IPS paneled LD520.

3. Does the LD520 have any shortcomings vs. the LD450, or is it pretty much the same TV with fancier features, even less input lag, and 120 hz?

Thanks.

1.) Only the 60 HZ LD450 line does 4:4:4 chroma. The 520, 550, and 650 LD series will not do 4:4:4.

2.) There is a panel lottery. You have to look for "W" in the fourth positiin on the product label after the model number. You may also peer in through the rear grill of the TV and look for a label on the back of the LCD panel for the panel number. Alternatively, you can use an eye loupe, magnifying glass, or sometimes a digital camera set on macro to look for the characteristic chevron [

·
Registered
17,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossFit1 /forum/post/20540693

Weird day too, really whacky people doing really whacky things today.

Just a lucky open box find on a dusty back shelf at BB!

Nice find! I've always found weird people over in Monterey, but that's part of the charm

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B /forum/post/20541228

1.) Only the 60 HZ LD450 line does 4:4:4 chroma. The 520, 550, and 650 LD series will not do 4:4:4.

I don't mean to cause confusion on this topic - the above has been stated as fact multiple times by very knowledgeable users in this thread and elsewhere on AVS. But...

I was toying around with my laptop hooked up over HDMI to the TV this weekend. I noticed that if I enabled xvYCC in the graphics control panel on my laptop, the Host Diagnostics screen reports the following for the HDMI input signal:

Color Space: YCbCr 4:4:4

Colorimetry: Undefined Value(3)

Extended Colorimetry: XVYCC709
Unfortunately, I did not have the time to research how to properly test if the TV is really doing 4:4:4 subsampling with these settings in place.

Think it's worth pursuing?

·
Registered
17,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams /forum/post/20542460

I don't mean to cause confusion on this topic - the above has been stated as fact multiple times by very knowledgeable users in this thread and elsewhere on AVS. But...

I was toying around with my laptop hooked up over HDMI to the TV this weekend. I noticed that if I enabled xvYCC in the graphics control panel on my laptop, the Host Diagnostics screen reports the following for the HDMI input signal:

Unfortunately, I did not have the time to research how to properly test if the TV is really doing 4:4:4 subsampling with these settings in place.

Does it matter much and should I care? This is coming from someone who's not sure exactly what is meant by 4:4:4
I think I do, but a dumbed-down explanation might be in order.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,453 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djams /forum/post/20542460

Ok, my fault . ... assumed everyone was on the same "page" on this. By saying the 520 or 550 won't do 4:4:4 , it is generally meant whether it will properly handle and display 4:4:4 signals. I've done the same and sent 4:4:4 to my ld550. You can supply 4:4:4 to the TV with a graphics card, but it will not display it without subsampling errors resulting in blurred letters, visible under certain conditions and with certain fonts, etc. Generally, the desire is for the TV to perform as well as any computer monitor.

Rather than go through it all here as to what the "test" is, I suggest anyone interested go to the xxLD450 thread where it has been discussed and referenced adinfinitum.
One "test" for displaying a 4:4:4 signal correctly involves a small pattern of red single pixel lines while displaying a 4:4:4 signal source. If the single pixel lines result in blurring or adjacent pixels ( or sub pixels) "firing", then it isn't displaying 4:4:4 correctly. Check out the xxLD450 thread for this info.

For Otto and others, I can appreciate the need and desire for a simpler explanation. Basically, LCD panels for TVs have sub pixel capability to aid in a sharper picture and less blurred moving images. In computer monitors, exact pixel for pixel 4:4:4 data transfer for the images is desirable. So, the type of sub sampling pixel capability that a TV LCD panel can do is not a desirable characteristic for use as a computer monitor and for many using the TV as a gaming monitor. Again, for more detailed info, there are scads of reference to this in the xxLD450 thread and also others sources on the internet. We discussed this earlier in this thread as others also had this question. In the end, it matters not for general TV signal sources and TV viewing. And. . . there are perhaps TOO many video source formats and encodings to shake a stick at!
It has to do with the evolution of monitor display technology from A to VESA.

Here is a picture of S-IPS pixels. This picture shows what many do not. You can see each pixel also is made up of a number of individual sub pixels. This is what helps a TV display sharper moving images and very fine detail.

·
Registered
17,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B /forum/post/20543955

For Otto and others, I can appreciate the need and desire for a simpler explanation. Basically, LCD panels for TVs have sub pixel capability to aid in a sharper picture and less blurred moving images. In computer monitors, exact pixel for pixel 4:4:4 data transfer for the images is desirable. So, the type of sub sampling pixel capability that a TV LCD panel can do is not a desirable characteristic for use as a computer monitor and for many using the TV as a gaming monitor. Again, for more detailed info, there are scads of reference to this in the xxLD450 thread and also others sources on the internet. We discussed this earlier in this thread as others also had this question. In the end, it matters not for general TV signal sources and TV viewing. And. . . there are perhaps TOO many video source formats and encodings to shake a stick at!
It has to do with the evolution of monitor display technology from A to VESA.

I knew you'd come thru
Your explanation really helped to clear the haze. I think we've gone over this before but it seems that the folks who have the most problems or complaints are tying to use their tv's to get the same performance that they get from their monitors and it just seems to me that the technology is not quite there yet. However, I think a great deal of this has a lot to do with the computer connected and its video capabilities. FWIW, I think the LD series is a nice match to the MacBookPro series of laptops. Connected via the min-HDMI to HDMI my son can use the 47LD520 as a monitor for his MBP without any loss of clarity (he can clearly read his homework from across the room) and games play perfectly.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,455 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot /forum/post/20544833

I knew you'd come thru
Your explanation really helped to clear the haze. I think we've gone over this before but it seems that the folks who have the most problems or complaints are tying to use their tv's to get the same performance that they get from their monitors and it just seems to me that the technology is not quite there yet. However, I think a great deal of this has a lot to do with the computer connected and its video capabilities. FWIW, I think the LD series is a nice match to the MacBookPro series of laptops. Connected via the min-HDMI to HDMI my son can use the 47LD520 as a monitor for his MBP without any loss of clarity (he can clearly read his homework from across the room) and games play perfectly.

I can see my lettering just fine also on my 42LD550 connected up via HDMI and it works fine with my HP s5560f HTPC. If you actually put the test pattern up on the TV using the MacBook you would see what is lacking when displaying 4:4:4 material. It shows up in some game programs especially with stuff like red lettering on a black background among other things. You don;t even want to start looking for this unless you want to agonize yet more over subtleties of display characteristics.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B /forum/post/20543955

Ok, my fault . ...

Oh - not at all! In fact your reply made me realize that this bordered on being a stupid question. The Host Diagnostics screen is showing the HDMI input signal parameters, not informing me what the TV is doing. I even stated in my initial post that the information was for the input signal. Just didn't put 2 and 2 together correctly - and came up with 4:4:4 I guess.

Well, at least it gave us something to kick around for the day. Thanks for another very informative reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B /forum/post/20544946

You don;t even want to start looking for this unless you want to agonize yet more over subtleties of display characteristics.

That's me!

·
Registered
17,957 Posts
@Phase and djams

Thanks guys. I'm not going to worry about it cause everything we've done so far with the MBP has looked great and we don't use the MBP on the LG that often anyway. Usually to impress family and friends on how well the LG looks with "other" sources
Besides, I don't need to start worrying and messing around in areas that I don't need or completely understand. It's safer that way

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

My faulty LG 42LD650 was exchanged for LG 42LD750, but for this model I can not find any calibration settings.

Are they same/similar with LD650 or not?

Can anyone help?

Best rgds, Goran

·
Registered
718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gok /forum/post/0

Hi guys,

My faulty LG 42LD650 was exchanged for LG 42LD750, but for this model I can not find any calibration settings.

Can anyone help?

Best rgds, Goran

Hi Goran. Didn't even know a 750 existed.

We have found, however that sharing full white balance and CMS settings is hit or miss, most likely to miss - even among identical models. The best approach for someone without calibratio equipment is to use a calibration disc to adjust the settings that do not require measuring devices. There is a very good free disc available for download in the Display Calibration forum - search for AVS HD 709. There is good info in this thread on using this disc for our TV's - fairly recently we had "avs hd709 calibration frenzy" here, so you'll find lots of posts

I see this is a 200hz set, so I'm curious - what part of the world are you posting from?

·
Registered
17,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gok /forum/post/20546722

Hi guys,

Can anyone help?

Best rgds, Goran

Is there an Expert menu under the Picture Menu? Are you using an HDMI input?

4441 - 4460 of 5122 Posts