AVS Forum banner

5081 - 5100 of 5122 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Google rs232 mini jack. It looks like a 3.5mm headphone plug on one end and a standard serial cable on the other and will plug in to the "service only" port on the back of the TV.
Yes! Thank you SeldomSeen31!! In chatting and emailing with multiple LG support reps, none of them were able to give me that answer!

I have now managed to get the cables that I need. However, I can't figure out what the correct serial settings should be (flow control, parity, baud rate, data bits, stop bit, crossover). Any idea? Again, I've inquired directly with LG, but no reply.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hi!

I have an EU (100Hz) 55LD650 for 4 years now it's working fine so far.
I only watch hdtv/bluray content from my laptop via HDMI2 (MPC-HC+LAV+MadVR).
Since I don't have a colorimeter, but I used the AVSHD calibration mp4 videos.

Which color temperature (cool/medium/warm) corresponds to D6500?
I used cool for most of the time, but nowdays I switched to medium, and it feels better a bit.
I read that Bluray content was created for D6500. Is it true for hdtv content as well (TV broadcast)?

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi!

I have an EU (100Hz) 55LD650 for 4 years now it's working fine so far.
I only watch hdtv/bluray content from my laptop via HDMI2 (MPC-HC+LAV+MadVR).
Since I don't have a colorimeter, but I used the AVSHD calibration mp4 videos.

Which color temperature (cool/medium/warm) corresponds to D6500?
I used cool for most of the time, but nowdays I switched to medium, and it feels better a bit.
I read that Bluray content was created for D6500. Is it true for hdtv content as well (TV broadcast)?

Thanks
I have a feeling we never gonna know D6500 unless you buy some device to calibration :)

anyway I wonder can you give me your own ISF calibration setup? I wonder how much difference between these two model(I have42"ld650eu100hz).

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
The AVS HD709 disk is for making decent adjustments only. You can't calibrate with that and sharing settings rarely works well because of the variability in component tolerances from tv to tv. If you're not satisfied with making adjustments to the basic settings with a disk, then your only other option is to have a professional calibration performed, tweak to taste, or learn how to calibrate yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am preparing for the eventuality of the motherboard failure as a bad case scenario-I do not know, yet, what a worst case might be.
I have an update, the new motherboard which I installed in the 42ld550 last February just happened to die on December 31. So when I turned the Tv the display was all black with some moving vertical white/gray lines, I couldn't even enter the menu but audio was still working fine.

So I assumed it was something related with video signal from motherboard to the panel, doing some research I found out that these problems are related to a faulty t con board however in these LG Tv's everything is in the motherboard, there's no separate T-con board.

Today I disassembled the tv and made some tests, after like a hour of toying with the 2 motherboards and 2 different groups of cables plugging and unplugging everything it happened that the old MB connected with the new cables were the only combination to have a proper display once again. Problem was the old original MB had the non working HDMI inputs, at this point I thought "well after not having anything but a black screen with a bunch of lines to this it's an improvement but...”. So I decided to bake the board according to instructions I found in a website then reinstalled the whole thing and now everything works as it should both the display and the HDMI ports :D

Anyway, it seems like the motherboard of these Tv's are really their weakest point, in less than a year I had to buy a replacement board and repair it twice myself, sure I could had baked the original motherboard instead of spending more than 2 hundred bucks on a new one, but the point is the relative short lifespan of these things, definitely not built to last more than few months, and the number of people experimenting pretty much the same issues only confirms it. Needless to say, I'll stay away from LG in the future.

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
Hmmm, I have the LD520, bought brand new and it has been working perfectly for the last few years. Calibration has held and it still our main tv. LG makes fine tv's and will probably be the first mfr we look at when it comes time to upgrade.

·
Registered
804 Posts
So I decided to bake the board according to instructions I found in a website then reinstalled the whole thing and now everything works as it should both the display and the HDMI ports :D
Nice to hear it, good job! Do you have a link for that info? Maybe we will also need it in the future.
Hmmm, I have the LD520, bought brand new and it has been working perfectly for the last few years. Calibration has held and it still our main tv. LG makes fine tv's and will probably be the first mfr we look at when it comes time to upgrade.
I bought mine 4 years ago, it was refurbished (! probably with similar problem that Torkens had since I don't see any defect on the TV from the outside and everything is working as it should), but since then I didn't get any problem with it.
I like the huge depth of picture it provides and the quality is pretty good for me (although I didn't see any plasma nor oled nowdays). I can only hope it will last at least 1/2 years when I'll buy something more advanced :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice to hear it, good job! Do you have a link for that info? Maybe we will also need it in the future.
Sure, http://zedic.com/lg-42dl550-fix-repair/
I posted the link yesterday but had to delete it because this forum didn't allowed it.

My TV is still up and running without any issues 24 hours later, I wonder how long this fix it's going to last :rolleyes:

I spent some time re calibrating the Expert 1 & 2 profiles according to the final values provided by user Phase700B somewhere in this thread, I'm sure picture quality will never look better with other settings. ;)

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
I spent some time re calibrating the Expert 1 & 2 profiles according to the final values provided by user Phase700B somewhere in this thread, I'm sure picture quality will never look better with other settings. ;)
If you used Phase700B's settings, which he achieved with a light meter and software (a real calibration) then all you've done is adjust your tv to his. It's not a calibration but if you're happy with the pq, then that's all that matters.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Great info ,I appreciate the experiment sharing and link to site with pix.
you noted the quickly diminishing viability of any replacement fix with parts costing over half of what a brand new 42" lcd or led even, might be. I just saw a few 4k55" sets for barely double the cost of the replacement motherboard for my 42ld550 ($750 new in 2010)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I posted the link yesterday but had to delete it because this forum didn't allowed it.

My TV is still up and running without any issues 24 hours later, I wonder how long this fix it's going to last :rolleyes:
Thanks for the link! So, it's all about soldering. Did you actually cook it? :D
1 more question popped in my mine: what was the average backlight value that you've been using so far? (I'm thinking about the possible heat that the panel can produce with a high backlight setting.) I used to use (before calibration) 40 during the night and 70-90 (!) during the day , but nowdays it's 30 (night) and 37 (day).
Great info ,I appreciate the experiment sharing and link to site with pix.
you noted the quickly diminishing viability of any replacement fix with parts costing over half of what a brand new 42" lcd or led even, might be. I just saw a few 4k55" sets for barely double the cost of the replacement motherboard for my 42ld550 ($750 new in 2010)
Yes, probably it wouldn't worth to buy one but buy a new set :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you used Phase700B's settings, which he achieved with a light meter and software (a real calibration) then all you've done is adjust your tv to his. It's not a calibration but if you're happy with the pq, then that's all that matters.
Getting light meters and software and learn how to calibrate it myself could be interesting but somehow I never really cared that much. I like the picture quality achieved using those settings, maybe it can get better starting the process from scratch and using the right tools

Thanks for the link! So, it's all about soldering. Did you actually cook it? :D
1 more question popped in my mine: what was the average backlight value that you've been using so far? (I'm thinking about the possible heat that the panel can produce with a high backlight setting.) I used to use (before calibration) 40 during the night and 70-90 (!) during the day , but nowdays it's 30 (night) and 37 (day).

Yes, probably it wouldn't worth to buy one but buy a new set :)
I actually baked it, didn't broiled it :D, techinally the process it's called refluxing, it seems to work in computer MBs too, and yeah it's all about soldering but in this case the oven re-solders the whole motherboard during those 10 minutes, so it's not that illogical after all even if it seems weird at first.

I've been quite conservative with the backlight since we got this TV, I keep it always in 41 and Energy Saver in low-medium during the day and medium during the night, but ES it's never turned off. Don't know if it has any influence in it's lifetime in the long term or not, other forum users surely have more experience about this matter.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Ah, the memories. We had some good times in this thread, Otto, didn't we? Wonder why Phase stopped visiting AVS. Happy New Year, btw!

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
Ah, the memories. We had some good times in this thread, Otto, didn't we? Wonder why Phase stopped visiting AVS. Happy New Year, btw!
Hey Henry! Yeah, it was fun. I run into sheshechic every now and then. Phase is still around but not on this forum anymore. He got fed up with some of the big guys over in the Calibration forum and just said to heck with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I did that baking process... twice. 10m @ at 385 and 15m @ 425.

It didn't work.

None of my HDMI work (except with Chromecast). One day later my RGB (which I used for my computer) also failed.

I found that the motherboard eax61746409(0) about $100 is out of stock everywhere. No wonder why. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
804 Posts
4:4:4 info

I can't send 4:4:4 to my 55LD650. I have tried both HDMI1 (DVI) and HDMI2 input, with and without having my Yamaha receiver in the chain.
Now, I'm using HDMI1 input with my laptop, and if I set the label of it to PC AND set the refresh rate to 60 Hz then I'll get somehow different result but still far from 4:4:4. (Otherwise I use the TV with different refresh rates with the help of madVR according to the content that is played.)
Does anyone manage to get 4:4:4 with these sets?

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can't send 4:4:4 to my 55LD650. I have tried both HDMI1 (DVI) and HDMI2 input, with and without having my Yamaha receiver in the chain.
Now, I'm using HDMI1 input with my laptop, and if I set the label of it to PC AND set the refresh rate to 60 Hz then I'll get somehow different result but still far from 4:4:4. (Otherwise I use the TV with different refresh rates with the help of madVR according to the content that is played.)
Does anyone manage to get 4:4:4 with these sets?

Thanks
what do you mean by "can't" a black screen? how do you know what is being input? I ,too , output 32bit color 444 rgb or the other. never really know what is being played. i only know when i put it thorough my onkyo 608.

·
Registered
804 Posts
what do you mean by "can't" a black screen?
No. I can see the normal picture (desktop or movie) but definitely not 4:4:4.
You can check these comparisons: http://s807.photobucket.com/user/floatpoo/media/444_faq/testx_b.png.html (It's included in the official Chroma 4:4:4 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1381724-official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread.html )
how do you know what is being input?
Well, good question: it should be FullRGB DeepColor (the latter is true, I can get 10 bit) via HDMI thanks to the Intel HD4000 iGPU.
I ,too , output 32bit color 444 rgb or the other. never really know what is being played. i only know when i put it thorough my onkyo 608.
What kind of info can you get from the receiver? My Yamaha doesn't give me any.

·
Registered
93 Posts
No. I can see the normal picture (desktop or movie) but definitely not 4:4:4.
You can check these comparisons: http://s807.photobucket.com/user/floatpoo/media/444_faq/testx_b.png.html (It's included in the official Chroma 4:4:4 thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1381724-official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread.html )

Well, good question: it should be FullRGB DeepColor (the latter is true, I can get 10 bit) via HDMI thanks to the Intel HD4000 iGPU.

What kind of info can you get from the receiver? My Yamaha doesn't give me any.
I have a 5 plus yr old Onkyo tx sr608 and it has the osd which indicates the signals in and out when i put the hdmi into it between the computer or cable box and lg tv. it shows 24, 30 , 36bit rgb or whatever vid as well as input/output of audio. no idea how accurate it may be, but it does change as i change inputs. i nearly always just allow for through from my gpu but, tv signals i do upscale from either the 720p or 1080i (to 1080p)they all are. audio i usually modify with it from 2channel, even the few 5.1dolby/pcm i change to 7.1 most of the time. but all of that shows up in the on screen display button.
I noticed that sometimes i get a 36bit output, never really noticed this before , usually from cable 24 to 32bit. will experiment more to see what is what with my sapphire 7950 and the latest amd crimson drivers. it allows for things i do not watch out for. it will upscale to 2k or higher, might be ok for games but does me no good and never looked to see whether there is any other changes in color depth or output. i have been watching more black and white lately anyway.
p.s.
i checked out that photo bucket and put my samsung 24" B2430 monitor right next to the lg42ld550 and put half a pic on the lg and the other side on the samsung monitor . i will need to see what the samsung is set to. i have it with dvi plug i think directly to the computer card . the differences between the 444 enabled /disabled are different, a little more distinct with a couple of the comps. it is a pain in the neck to check and alter the settings on the samsung since it is a bottom of the frame by touch set u p and i hate it. the lg550 of course has all sorts of setting options but may be time to re calibrate it with the blu ray disc i got here years ago. i know my red/green is off a bit, how much? anyone's guess till i check it out again. been 3yrs maybe 2. not sure. stilll interesting ,mostly because i was thinking about it a month or 2 back when the 'new and improved' radeon crimson driver and manager came out. so far, not improved to me. may go back to one of the older radeon manager and driver sets. my 7950 is now considered dated and crimson may not be ideal. not sure of this yet though.

Reactions: DA1745
5081 - 5100 of 5122 Posts