AVS Forum banner

741 - 760 of 1510 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tossup
I'm toying with this screen using my PC over hdmi in ISF Expert 1 and I'm having trouble getting fonts to stay crisp without over-sharpening.

Horizontal sharpness has a noticeable jump in detail between 43 and 44, where it appears that text loses about a pixel's width of blur and becomes sharp. It also appears that test patterns have the least amount of halo effects for the amount of detail.

After going through vertical sharpness dozens of times I can't really hone in on any particular area where I can balance detail and blur. I just gave up and left it at 50.

For both horizontal and vertical it seems like the amount of detail lost under 40 is too large, but anything above it begins to over-sharpen images with very fine detail. Is there any opinions on how to set sharpness for this set? Most settings posted in this thread and the LE5300 thread seem to be between 15 and 65, both of which appear to me as extremes of blur and overly sharpened images and text.
Sharpness set at 50 was the trick to get my Mac Mini dialed in with the TV. 50 seems to be the "0". Anything below is -, anything higher is +.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginal Name
I am looking at either the 47" or 55". Can you customize each input to their own settings or can you only customize the Picture Mode?

Thanks!
I know on the 47 inch, which I have, the picture settings, tint, contrast, brigh etc can be set per input.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Can someone please tell me, can I use any wireless adapter or do I have to use the an-wf100 from LG?

I am sure this has been answered somewhere in this thread but I haven't found it.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey i've been browsing and decided to finally join the forums

I just bought an 42LE5400 from Tigerdirect and have been reading about the IPS panels, just wondering if the panels matter that much, since i just ordered it 2 days ago, is this a new panel on their new TVs or what, just worried because it's being delivered the 4th and wondering what i should expect

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was tempted to get the 42 5400 off amazon on christmas when it was $799 but decided to wait for 2011 models.. I am really hoping for a glossy model with full LED and local dimming which performs well in games..

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumnewbie /forum/post/19747929

Sharpness set at 50 was the trick to get my Mac Mini dialed in with the TV. 50 seems to be the "0". Anything below is -, anything higher is +.

Yep, it seems that having the PC input's secret 4:4:4 chroma turned on made setting sharpness easy, 50/50 is clearly the default for a reason. I'm not really sure what 4:4:4 does to the rest of the picture but it made text much smoother, so I'm all for it.

Quote:
hey i've been browsing and decided to finally join the forums

I just bought an 42LE5400 from Tigerdirect and have been reading about the IPS panels, just wondering if the panels matter that much, since i just ordered it 2 days ago, is this a new panel on their new TVs or what, just worried because it's being delivered the 4th and wondering what i should expect

When you get your TV check the product code for a 'W'. You can find this near the barcodes that will look similar to this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...7&postcount=70

Notice the "USDLH" in the code near the bottom refers to the TV having a VA panel. You want a 'W' in that code to ensure it is an IPS panel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
does it make that big of a difference? (what is the difference too?) or do some VA models just have more problems than the IPS?

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclayt2 /forum/post/19750043

does it make that big of a difference? (what is the difference too?) or do some VA models just have more problems than the IPS?

Most people seem to think it is. Many on these boards go through a lot of hassle to ensure an IPS panel. The particular VA panel that is in some sets has bad viewing angles where colors distort and supposedly sports a less vibrant array of colors even head-on. I heard some say that the black level when viewed head-on is better, but I'm not sure that would be enough to make it worth keeping if it is even accurate for this particular set.

I've only seen the VA panel in pictures and the viewing angle alone made me only want an IPS, which has such a wide viewing angle that I can watch it anywhere in the room--a useful feature in wide rooms.

I actually got this 5400 because I thought it was a guaranteed IPS panel, unlike the 5300 which was plagued with VA panels. After reading this thread I found out I was just lucky. Still, it seemed at the time that there are less VA panels in the wild for this line of TV. Either way, I wish you luck in getting a good TV!

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bym051d /forum/post/0

Definitely send everything to your receiver and 1 cable to your TV.

The TV is going to downmix everything to 2-channel when you send out of optical audio.

Will I still be able to have different settings for movies, games, and tv?

·
Registered
636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjes /forum/post/19751908

Also will this mount work with the TV well. Is anyone using a ultra low profile mount for theirs?

It will work, but what you will need to realize is that the tv will be very tight to the wall. You will need to take into consideration where the connections are in the back of the TV. I have a regular wall mount (not low profile) for my 47" and without 90 degree swiveling HDMI connectors, there would have been no way I could have gotten the HDMI cables into the jacks without them.

I am not sure of your intended setup, but just be aware that you will have little to no room behind the tv once on the wall with a low profile mount.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 /forum/post/19751999

It will work, but what you will need to realize is that the tv will be very tight to the wall. You will need to take into consideration where the connections are in the back of the TV. I have a regular wall mount (not low profile) for my 47" and without 90 degree swiveling HDMI connectors, there would have been no way I could have gotten the HDMI cables into the jacks without them.

I am not sure of your intended setup, but just be aware that you will have little to no room behind the tv once on the wall with a low profile mount.

I want the TV to be as close to the wall as possible, I have some 90 degree adapters on order. So I am aware of this issue. Thanks for the input!

Edit: I also need to have the network hooked up....hmmmm, this might be tougher than I though....any ideas??

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjes /forum/post/19752019

I want the TV to be as close to the wall as possible, I have some 90 degree adapters on order. So I am aware of this issue. Thanks for the input!

Edit: I also need to have the network hooked up....hmmmm, this might be tougher than I though....any ideas??

There are flat cat5 ethernet cables available. They would bend very easily and keep the port from being stressed. I plan on using one when I eventually get a mount.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcjes /forum/post/19751803

Will I still be able to have different settings for movies, games, and tv?

I believe so. I don't remember exactly, but do recall a copy settings to all inputs command.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello all, looks like I'm back, have not posted since my last TV purchase Sept. 2006 Samsung Plasma s4276. For the past two weeks I have been a reader and not a provider regarding this TV and despite a few negatives that I can live with, I bit the bullet and picked up the 42LE5400 this afternoon.

HHgregg is having Friends & Family sale. If you go to BB website you will see the price of the LE5400 and hhgregg beats that price by a good bit. Since I passed through Delaware today heading to NY I picked up one for cheap plus tax free.

The store in Wilmington had 7 in stock and they all AUSWLUR also the mfg. date on mines state December 10, 2010 which is a good thing.

Right out the box I am impressed with the settings, but I will be making the adjustments tomorrow. Also once I plugged in the network cable I was given notice that an update is available from 6.02.01 to 8.02.08 so I ran the update before I made any adjustments. All went well and the picture is great, again I have not made any adjustments as of yet, another job for tomorrow.

Thank you all for such great input, it really help made my decision narrower and easier.

·
Registered
670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf /forum/post/18830614

I did an input lag test, this series of monitors is slower than many others:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18830597

The short of it is that my 47LE5400 is consistently 99ms slower than traditional analog monitors.

This isn't that far off from a measurement done by somebody else in that thread who reported the 55LE5400 at 82ms.

I'd appreciate however if somebody else could test it as well to confirm my results as I am in the process of deciding whether or not I should get a different TV.

Anyone know if this has been updated further? I haven't read the entire thread yet, but LG's website and walmart both list this panel with 2.6ms response lag. Did the software updates do that?

741 - 760 of 1510 Posts