AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 1616 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,668 Posts
3D or no 3D, won't the LE9500 have overall better PQ and specs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Ok well after watching Planet Earth tonight with the CNET recommended settings ( http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...&tag=mncol;txt ), in a completely dark room it looked fantastic, but unfortunately the zone banding still showed up.

So I turned the LED Local Dimming option to "OFF" and the zone banding was gone, which is great, but why did I buy this local-dimming set just to have to turn its main feature off? Turning this off also raises the black levels (pause the screen on a dark screen, turn local dimming off, and you'll see what I'm talking about).

I tried switching Picture Mode to Game as suggested by SliceyPete, but then the Local Dimming option is grayed out and turned off.

So now I have to sit down and think, do I want to return this for another set (Samsung C6500) that is edge-lit LED with supposedly lower PQ and black levels, no zone-banding but may have flashlights and clouding? Or do I keep this local-dimming set that was more expensive, but has issues with it's main feature switched "on"? Or do I just say "f- this" and get a panasonic plasma? Guess there's a drawback to every set out there



Just saw Best Buy.com has the Samsung C6900 with "Precision Dimming" for 3k, could be a possibility...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
856 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex8246 /forum/post/18469755


So now I have to sit down and think, do I want to return this for another set (Samsung C6500) that is edge-lit LED with supposedly lower PQ and black levels, no zone-banding but may have flashlights and clouding? Or do I keep this local-dimming set that was more expensive, but has issues with it's main feature switched "on"? Or do I just say "f- this" and get a panasonic plasma? Guess there's a drawback to every set out there

Technology is an evil force that's going to destroy us all. TVs in particular.



It wasn't always that way. Once, when we were kids, TV was just TV. All we cared about was the shows we watched. We did not care about the TV model or features. We did not care what type of signal it was. We had bent coat-hangers for antennas. Nobody cared. We just watched and enjoyed it. As long as it turned On, we were happy.


I'm behind on the thread... just catching up... sorry to hear the ZB is bothering you too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne /forum/post/18460155


BB in Canada now listing the 55LE8500.

Boy was that quick compared to previous models that we waited months for!

Unfortunately, no BBs in our neighbourhood until about Christmas.

I can't find the 55LE8500 on bestbuy.ca, where have you seen this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/18469393


With the 9500 having no bezel, I will say "I think the LG 9500 will be the best 3D TV of the Year !!"

The LG LX9500 will not have 'no bezel', it has a 16mm bezel around the edges, upped from the 2010 CES LE9500 showmodel that had a reported 8.5mm bezel. Still, at 16mm (1.6cm), the bezel is unlike anything seen before on a consumer LED backlit LCD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy nightmares /forum/post/18469975


Technology is an evil force that's going to destroy us all. TVs in particular.



It wasn't always that way. Once, when we were kids, TV was just TV. All we cared about was the shows we watched. We did not care about the TV model or features. We did not care what type of signal it was. We had bent coat-hangers for antennas. Nobody cared. We just watched and enjoyed it. As long as it turned On, we were happy.


I'm behind on the thread... just catching up... sorry to hear the ZB is bothering you too.

I can remember our first family RCA 17" B&W TV in the 50s when a a huge horizontal stripe would appear across the screen in the afternoons when the local doctors used their "diathermy" machines. We still continued to watch. It was as terrible image. I guess I'm showing my age.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony6225 /forum/post/18470017


how does this thing play video games? you guys notice any input lag?

I have not noticed any input lag playing God of War 3 and Modern Warfare 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
856 Posts
Playing in 'Game' mode I did not notice any significant lag either. Games felt solid and looked GREAT too, even though local-dimming is turned off by default in that mode. I never felt much graphic quality was being sacrificed. In this regard I think the LG has an advantage over the Samsung B8500 which definitely takes a bigger graphic hit in game mode. Game mode VS game mode, I think the LG looks better.


I know the Samsung bypasses one of it's primary video chips in Game mode, and I assume the LG does something similar, but visually there is no doubt... the LG's game mode looks closer to the original game. It does not lose as much detail.


Also, when local-dimming is turned off the Samsung B8500 has lots of clouds and flashlights, creating a very messy screen on a dark/black background, whereas the LG has only a couple faint clouds and is more uniform overall. So if you are playing a game that has very dark sections or levels, the LG has less distractions.


On the other hand, the Samsung gives you the option of turning local-dimming on/off in Game mode, whereas the LG does not. On the LG, local-dimming is off and grayed-out in the menu; not available. Does having local-dimming activated create more lag on the Samsung? I can't say for sure. It would need to be measured.


Of course, neither set shows clouds or flashlights with local-dimming turned ON.


Overall, I think the LG is a better gaming monitor than the Samsung B8500, but that's just my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid /forum/post/18470928


I can remember our first family RCA 17" B&W TV in the 50s when a a huge horizontal stripe would appear across the screen in the afternoons when the local doctors used their "diathermy" machines. We still continued to watch. It was as terrible image. I guess I'm showing my age.

You already did: JPEG 17 on your second batch of pictures. Orange Kid? More like Orange Pops (or should I say 'Gray Kid'?).
I keed, I keed. It's cool to be up there in age and like your new hi-tech toys, especially since you (unlike many of us, thirty-something slackers) can actually afford them without having to ask dad for 'a little help.'



And I may only be 37 but I grew up in a third-world country (El Salvador) with backwards TV stations that, up until the mid-80's, resembled early American TV in many respects: wouldn't come on until noon (after a 30 min. warm-up with the test patterns & color bars that we, of course, watched!
), crappy intermitent signals (bad weather around the main tower = crappy reception), lots of repeats of badly-dubbed old shows ("My Favorite Martian," "The Lucy Show," etc.). So I know what you're talking about OrangeKid, I feel your (previous) pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
alex8246, how far away from the TV are you(when you notice this banding)?


happy nightmares seems to indicate that this is a proximity issue.


I would sit 12 feet away from the surface. alex8246 or happy nightmares, can either of you confirm that the banding is not noticeable at this distance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj13young /forum/post/18472047


alex8246, how far away from the TV are you(when you notice this banding)?


happy nightmares seems to indicate that this is a proximity issue.


I would sit 12 feet away from the surface. alex8246 or happy nightmares, can either of you confirm that the banding is not noticeable at this distance?

I sit 11 feet away and have only clearly seen it once. I have had the set for a week. However I haven't obsessed over it and scrutinized the set for zone banding. It may be more obvious to a critical observer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj13young /forum/post/18472047


alex8246, how far away from the TV are you(when you notice this banding)?


happy nightmares seems to indicate that this is a proximity issue.


I would sit 12 feet away from the surface. alex8246 or happy nightmares, can either of you confirm that the banding is not noticeable at this distance?

I am sitting about eight and a half feet from the set. I will try twelve feet tonight, but unfortunately our apartment is on the smaller side so moving the couch back permanently may not be an option. But, I will see and post results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Lantern /forum/post/18472730


For those that have this set, how is the sound quality of the built in speakers?

I don't use the LGs built in speakers but I did test them to make sure they work. They sounded fine for built in speakers in my brief listening session, but obviously do not hold a candle to an external surround system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I just received my 55LE8500 last Saturday ... Maybe it's because I got too used to my vintage 2004 Mitsu DLP... maybe it's because my newest TV in the house before this one was a 2006 model... but I'm very happy with the picture! I've watched Wall-E and looks great!


I have local dimming enabled yet I don't see any banding that people are pointing out.. then again, I'm not looking hard for it either...


NetCast is useful too! although I would have liked to see Pandora on there.


Anyways.. enough of that... the first time I turned it on, it worked great... I turned it off.. then on again.. and the left 1/3 of the screen is black! It actually fades to black.. as if the LED lights are off on the left.


If the TV is on for ~30-45 minutes.. the LEDs turn on. Outside of unplugging and plugging it back in thanks LG for the support!, anybody have any theories? Has anyone heard of this problem before?


I plan on returning this one.. but I plan on replacing this one with another 55LE8500... hoping this isn't a chronic issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyorsammy /forum/post/18470649


I can't find the 55LE8500 on bestbuy.ca, where have you seen this?

BB under Televisions under LEDs page 2 last item.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy nightmares /forum/post/18471640


Playing in 'Game' mode I did not notice any significant lag either. Games felt solid and looked GREAT too, even though local-dimming is turned off by default in that mode. I never felt much graphic quality was being sacrificed. In this regard I think the LG has an advantage over the Samsung B8500 which definitely takes a bigger graphic hit in game mode. Game mode VS game mode, I think the LG looks better.


I know the Samsung bypasses one of it's primary video chips in Game mode, and I assume the LG does something similar, but visually there is no doubt... the LG's game mode looks closer to the original game. It does not lose as much detail.


Also, when local-dimming is turned off the Samsung B8500 has lots of clouds and flashlights, creating a very messy screen on a dark/black background, whereas the LG has only a couple faint clouds and is more uniform overall. So if you are playing a game that has very dark sections or levels, the LG has less distractions.


On the other hand, the Samsung gives you the option of turning local-dimming on/off in Game mode, whereas the LG does not. On the LG, local-dimming is off and grayed-out in the menu; not available. Does having local-dimming activated create more lag on the Samsung? I can't say for sure. It would need to be measured.


Of course, neither set shows clouds or flashlights with local-dimming turned ON.


Overall, I think the LG is a better gaming monitor than the Samsung B8500, but that's just my opinion.

Is there an actual reason for ONLY using the Game Mode and not an Expert Mode with the same settings, but now you can turn the Local Dimming Off or On?
 
61 - 80 of 1616 Posts
Top