AVS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 4735 Posts

·
Banned
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleigh29 /forum/post/16746183

Here is what I did. I showed them the cleveland price on my Iphone. He went to his manager and they said no. I said what If I buy the super duper warranty from you guys? He went back to him and they agreed.

I was driving my small car at the time, so I went home, picked up my minivan and came back to get the TV. At that time, I just cancelled the warranty at the pickup place and got a credit back on my card LOL!

Slick!

·
Vendor
29,862 Posts

Quote:

Here is what I did. I showed them the cleveland price on my Iphone. He went to his manager and they said no. I said what If I buy the super duper warranty from you guys? He went back to him and they agreed.

I was driving my small car at the time, so I went home, picked up my minivan and came back to get the TV. At that time, I just cancelled the warranty at the pickup place and got a credit back on my card LOL!

We would have sold you a warranty at cost for $100, no taxes to boot, and no pickup required. So actually they did not match
Opps did not see you returned the warranty.

·
Registered
438 Posts

Quote:

Nice!

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:

You MUST be in the Used Car business !
Do you wear mirror sunglasses !

You get my "Best Con-Man Award of 2009"

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Has anyone here ever owned a TV by LG in the past? Any problems with getting them to service one if something happens? Customer service on par with everyone else?

Also, does anyone have the box dimensions of the 55LH90?

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseybp /forum/post/16745588

Wow, I can't believe they price matched Clevelands price. Did they give you any grief about price matching because it is so low?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox1 /forum/post/16746488

You MUST be in the Used Car business !
Do you wear mirror sunglasses !

You get my "Best Con-Man Award of 2009"

Can I get a cool board name now? lol

·
Registered
1,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjschenk /forum/post/16745640

Hi tomanystraydogs,

The LH90 did very well with blacks and I didn't see much crushing at all; where the LH90 suffered in this category was with the audience's subjective assessments. Look at the actual numbers for the calibration reports, though--in my opinion, they tell the real story. I was front and center, looking at the LG dead-on and I say its blacks were just fine.

Motion handling was another matter altogether. There it got slapped around a bunch. One aficionado hypothesized that the 240hz thing, with its frame interpolation, was causing problems. That seems plausible to me. Also, the LG uses a super-IPS panel, which has specific strengths and weaknesses. Its greatest strengths are reported to be color accuracy and viewing angle. Its greatest weakness is motion handling. So that might be a contributing factor, too.

Yours,

David

P.S.: I just saw that you noted the discrepancy between measured results and audience opinion. I advise trusting the measured results. The LG had better blacks, man; it just did. When the Toshiba rep enabled the auto-dimming AI for the Toshiba, sure, then its black became great, but everything else went to Hell. When no gimmicks were used, the LG had the best blacks I saw on ALL the LCDs. I think at least some of the audience response might have been affected by the rep's use of the auto-dimming AI (just a hunch).

These are my thoughts exactly. Considering LED's sweet spot for viewing, user opinions would have varied greatly. If there were 25 people in the room, I don't think there would have been adequate time for everyone to have a good view while they made their evaluations.

You mentioned motion. Was the motion on the LG bad because of the 240Hz acting up, or were there clearly blurring problems? I had an Olevia 747i at one time, and while the colors were amazing, the set definitely blurred a bit. The Olevia also uses an IPS panel. Odd, though, because I hadn't realized IPS panels were made in the 55" variety; I thought that size was exclusive to PVA technology.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm interested in this set because of its matte screen. We have a very bright and open great room with massive windows and doors. We watch SciFi, BBC America, movies(especially classic) and I watch F1, NFL and some NASCAR - how does this set do with this type of material?

Thanks

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /forum/post/16747388

These are my thoughts exactly. Considering LED's sweet spot for viewing, user opinions would have varied greatly. If there were 25 people in the room, I don't think there would have been adequate time for everyone to have a good view while they made their evaluations.

You mentioned motion. Was the motion on the LG bad because of the 240Hz acting up, or were there clearly blurring problems? I had an Olevia 747i at one time, and while the colors were amazing, the set definitely blurred a bit. The Olevia also uses an IPS panel. Odd, though, because I hadn't realized IPS panels were made in the 55" variety; I thought that size was exclusive to PVA technology.

Yukon, IF the LG did exhibit Blurring problems during certain scenes then this is something to consider since this will occur on this LG regardless of whether it is ISF professionally calibrated or right out of the box. I realize the user can turn the 240hZ off but that should not be the alternative after spending your hard earned dollar.

Regards,

·
Registered
620 Posts
Can't u knock down the 240hz effect to at least go back to 120hz since this set and the Toshiba don't do real 240hz? What you are really buying these sets for is the LD, the 240hz is just extra.

·
Banned
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /forum/post/16747388

Hi Yukon Trooper,

I don't know why the motion handling was so rough. I think it was one of the guys from V.E. who said the 240hz motion smoothing software was a likely offender, which makes sense. Frame interpolation is a very unnatural way of handling motion and personally, I would expect to see artifacts from it. For several reasons, I never use it myself.

The super-IPS panel could be involved, though, which could be cause for worry for those who are very sensitive to LCD motion artifacts. I was surprised to read that they were using the IPS panels, just as you were, but they are:

http://www.lge.com/us/tv-audio-video...-tv-55LH90.jsp

Click on the tab and then open or download the downloadable .pdf specs sheet. There it is--a super-IPS panel!

Yours,

David

P.S.: Re. motion, does anyone know if LG has that backlight strobing trick that the other locally dimmed sets have? So long as brightness isn't hit too hard by it, I've found that to do some honest good, so if the LH90s have it, I'd love to know how well it works.

Can any of the owners and/or techies comment on this?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts

Quote:

wow why didn't think of that, I think you deserve a nobel peace prize for that.

Hey but didn't they say that the deal was off when you wanted to cancel the warranty?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:

Dumb sales guy or checkout clerk. I bought my last tv about 4 years ago and they knocked down the price with $400 if I bought the $400 warranty... I was like fine lets do it (thinking about cancelling the warranty if possible but being ok with the bundle if not possible). Well on the receipt it came out as price for the tv being tied to the warranty. Can't remember exactly how it was done, but they tied the discount to the warranty so I couldn't void the warranty out.

Good for you though. I ended up getting a new bulb for $250 so the warranty just cost me $150

Now how do you like the tv?

·
Banned
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper /forum/post/16748245

So you're saying the LG handled motion roughly opposed to showing motion blur?

Hi Yukon Trooper,

No, what I'm talking about is its performance when Kevin Miller used a calibration pattern designed to reveal flaws in motion handling. It was a series of black and white boxes and bars filled with vertical, horizontal and diagonal stripes. The entire image slowly moved back and forth. Sets that handled motion well just showed the boxes moving around and nothing more. Sets that had problems had some of their boxes' striped patterns shimmer, wobble and/or sparkle. Out of all of them, the LG seemed to have the hardest time.

When just panning around various scenes on a regular DVD and when showing the Dark Knight BluRay, I don't think it was bad at all (but please note that I am not one of the people who are very sensitive to LCD motion artifacts). I didn't notice much motion blur or choppy motion.

Have I answered your question properly? This is what you're asking about, right?

Yours,

David

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ok, finally!!! I got to see the LH90 in the flash. Man the 55 is a big set, mainly because the bezel is huge, and it's not a thin as I thought is would be.

Anyway, enough with the asthetics.

Popped in a BR, unfortunately it was a cartoon video, but in letter box format. The first thing I noticed was the blacks straight on were very good, but as soon as I went off angle they washed out. Now let me caveat that statement with the TV wasn't calibrated and it was bright environment so it could have been some reflection from the other TV's around it. The colors looked really good as was the detail. I did notice in an action sequence that the motion flow wasn't that good. There was no artifacts but you could tell that it didn't work that great.

Overall, I think for the price this is a very good set, not great but very good. Now, I'm off to search for the Toshiba SV670 to compare.

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjschenk /forum/post/16747883

P.S.: Re. motion, does anyone know if LG has that backlight strobing trick that the other locally dimmed sets have? So long as brightness isn't hit too hard by it, I've found that to do some honest good, so if the LH90s have it, I'd love to know how well it works.

Can any of the owners and/or techies comment on this?

This is what I'm trying to say, the LG doesn't have true 240hz but is using backlight scanning technique to achieve a 240hz like effect, just like the Toshiba. Only the Sony and Samsung sets has 240 frame interpolation technique. Could the effect be turned off to get it down to 120hz and achieve better motion?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I just called a Local BB in the Houston area and the manager told me they have 265 LG55LH90 units in the local warehouse and the purchasing consumer would get one within 2 days after the sell.

He stated they had NO plans of bringing any of the LG`s into any of the stores for display viewing and also stated that the LG55LH90 has actually been deleted.

I asked why it was deleted and he could not tell me why !

I wonder if BB has any contractural agreements with Samsung & Sony in certain regions of the Country to only display their sets and in return gets a better cut-rate wholesale price !

I have absolutely NO intention to purchase any set sight-unseen and then have the hassle of a return at my time & expense.

I personally would not buy anything from BB other then a refrigerator anyways but it would be nice to see this LG with my own two eyes before purchasing it from another more viable dealer without having to pay local sales taxes.

Regards,

·
Banned
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/16748275

Now how do you like the tv? [URL='http:/smilies/img/2658/*************************%5B/IMG']http://****************/smilies/img/2658/*************************[/IMG[/URL] ]
[/QUOTE]

I'm curious too [IMG] [URL='http:/smilies/img/2659/*************************%5B/IMG']http://****************/smilies/img/2659/*************************[/IMG[/URL] ]

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ok here are the pictures as promised of the 55LH90. Let me preface this as my camera sucks balls and I am a terrible picture taker. The TV looks100 times better than what these pics look like. As you can see I have a large light source (Wall of windows) to the right of the TV so you can see the glare.

As a side note.. no lag noted in Rock Band 2 for Xbox360. I didnt have to adjust the calibration settings from null at all which is a good thing.

Enjoy from the "Best con man of 2009"

281 - 300 of 4735 Posts