AVS Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 3233 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

This is a great thread!

I was wondering if I could get help on settings.

I have a IPTV box that outputs either 720P or 1080i. Which of the two should give the best picture when connected to HDMI on my new LN40A550 Samsung LCD TV?

I also have a Samsung BD-P1500 blu-ray player connected to the other HDMI jack. In the Blu-ray there are setting for 1080p 24hz and 60Hz. Which setting do you use with the TV above?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got my new 32' A550 2 days ago and so far so good. I used the calibration settings from post 995 and they look great. The sounds settings from here didn't sound so well though, I just used the movie sound settings and those sound good enough for now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just recently bought LN40a550 and Im not liking the graphics on PS3! Everything seems like needs to be adjusted! Can't get it right though. It looks bad compare to my CRT 30" philips! =( Tried GT5, Tomb Raider Underworld, Drake Fortune and just can't get it set up perfectly.

My brother recently bought new Sony 46" Z model and I checked all those games on his tv and WOW his is all look realy good from the factory settings. I don't even know if I can set this 550 to be even close =(

Does anyone have any good settings for the PS3? Would love to try it out.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vajcs85 /forum/post/15227914

could anyone post their settings v.1006 with ps3 over hdmi

Thanks.

There's these settings I posted awhile back, though those are primarily for watching movies as opposed to games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurik /forum/post/15230752

I just recently bought LN40a550 and Im not liking the graphics on PS3! Everything seems like needs to be adjusted! Can't get it right though. It looks bad compare to my CRT 30" philips! =( Tried GT5, Tomb Raider Underworld, Drake Fortune and just can't get it set up perfectly.

My brother recently bought new Sony 46" Z model and I checked all those games on his tv and WOW his is all look realy good from the factory settings. I don't even know if I can set this 550 to be even close =(

Does anyone have any good settings for the PS3? Would love to try it out.

Could you be a bit more descriptive as to what you don't like about the image quality?

Also, one of the most important things you can do is make sure HDMI black level and the RGB setting on the PS3 match. You should either set the PS3 to RGB Full and the TV to HDMI black level normal or the PS3 to limited and the TV to low.

I'd also suggest lowering the sharpness to 0 for a 1080p game, and a somewhat lowish value (10 maybe) for a 720p game.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr99 /forum/post/15232287

clicq: i have the ln40a540 with the 1004 firmware and i was checking if your settings would apply to this set?

I have no idea... I think some people in the 540 thread said they were good, but others said they sucked so... I guess try it and see how it looks to you? If you use the 995 settings, you may want to turn off energy saver if it's not bright enough.

·
Registered
178 Posts
PS3 on standard is fine for me. Check your PS3 settings to make sure you've got the display options set properly.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicq /forum/post/15231188

There's these settings I posted awhile back, though those are primarily for watching movies as opposed to games.

Could you be a bit more descriptive as to what you don't like about the image quality?

Also, one of the most important things you can do is make sure HDMI black level and the RGB setting on the PS3 match. You should either set the PS3 to RGB Full and the TV to HDMI black level normal or the PS3 to limited and the TV to low.

I'd also suggest lowering the sharpness to 0 for a 1080p game, and a somewhat lowish value (10 maybe) for a 720p game.

Today I took my LN40A550 & my PS3 to my brother's place and compared and colibrated my Samsung to his Sony Z & his PS3. Was very interesting. Finally got it set up nicely. Love it now, Picture looks great. We also checked the color depth diferences with our PS3s with different colors at the cross media bar, it is a GREAT place to compare the colors one by one. Sony Z's colors look more colorful and have more depth in them (most colors do, not all) but that's perhaps cause he has 10bits or something like that, while our is like 8 or something.

Well clicq, anyway thanks for the help, will also try checking for RGB in PS3 as well.

Will also try posting some pics here as well. Some Samsung and Sony differences.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a ln46a550 and been browsing here to get a hold on the best calibration settings I can apply. Firstly, great forum with awesome info... thanks all!

So far seems like clicq's #995 settings are pretty popular. I was planning to go with this but want to know if these settings are applicable to my firmware version 1004.1.... clicq/anybody?

Also seems like I shouldn't be upgrading to firmware 1006 if I don't see any problems... and I haven't yet!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just recently got the LN46A550 and have tried pretty much all of the settings in this thread that use movie mode. Personally I feel like movie mode is way too dark & dull. Are there any good settings using the Standard or Dynamic modes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
dasher123,

What firmware version are you on? I want to apply the settings in post #995 as well but not sure if it'll go with my firmware (1004.1) as the post says its for 1002.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I will check and post; never bothered to check it..

how DOES one check the FW?

i think even if the #995 settings are for a different FW, we should be able to use it as a very good basis, and then alter it slightly, or use the same settings with warm1 instead of warm2, which people sometimes found better...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Copy-paste from another post -

"To check the firmware version, (this has been posted before, but I guess the search doesn't find it), you navigate through the menus to where it says SW upgrade (go into the menu that has plug&play at the top). DO NOT hit the center button, instead hit "info" while SW upgrade is selected. You'll see a string at the bottom of your screen."

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have two 40 inch LNA550 TV's. One is using the built in speakers and the other one is connected to my Bose 3-2-1 system. Are the audio settings just to improve the TV where the sound comes out of the built in speakers or do I adjust both TV's to the audio settings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i was noticing while watching the patriots game yesterday that the whites are far too rich. i couldnt really see any contrast in them, it was all just flat very bright white. their uniforms looked real odd. also, there was a huge white bench but it just looked like a white blob, couldn't see any shape to it really.

what settings would i look to mess with to get this to my liking? i'm using mainly cliq's pre 1006 firmware with a few changes such as warm 1, dynamic contrast on low, and some other minor changes to numbers to get it right for me.

thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_magnifico /forum/post/15247373

i was noticing while watching the patriots game yesterday that the whites are far too rich. i couldnt really see any contrast in them, it was all just flat very bright white. their uniforms looked real odd. also, there was a huge white bench but it just looked like a white blob, couldn't see any shape to it really.

what settings would i look to mess with to get this to my liking? i'm using mainly cliq's pre 1006 firmware with a few changes such as warm 1, dynamic contrast on low, and some other minor changes to numbers to get it right for me.

thanks.

i think dynamic contrast is doing this. when i turn it on the whites hurt my eyes.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_magnifico /forum/post/15247373

thanks.

As dr99 said, it's dynamic contrast probably. If you use dynamic contrast, you'll have to lower the contrast to something like 70-75 to avoid blowing out the whites (see some of the conversations I had with deathrattlehead ).

·
Registered
890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatsan /forum/post/15243149

dasher123,

What firmware version are you on? I want to apply the settings in post #995 as well but not sure if it'll go with my firmware (1004.1) as the post says its for 1002.

I checked: I have version 1005.1

·
Registered
829 Posts
This is my second, and probably last set of settings for the 1006.1 firmware. If you're on another firmware, you can try them, but I don't claim the results are going to be good. I would not suggest updating your firmware; too many people have been unhappy with their sets after upgrading (I'm personally indifferent), and there is NO WAY to revert your firmware (yet?).

Mode = Movie

Backlight = 4

Contrast = 90

Brightness = 51

Sharpness = 0

Color = 48

Tint = G54/R46

DETAILED SETTINGS

Black Adjust = Off

Dynamic Contrast = Off

Gamma = 0

Color Space = Custom

Red: R41 - G0 - B0

Green: R21 - G52 - B0

Blue: R8 - G0 - B57

Yellow: R52 - G52 - B0

Cyan: R27 - G48 - B48

Magenta: R33 - G0 - B50

Flesh Tone = 0

Edge Enhancement = Off

Xycc = Off

WHITE BALANCE

R-Offset = 26

G-Offset = 25

B-Offset = 24

R-Gain = 33

G-Gain = 25

B-Gain = 25

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color Tone = Warm 2

Size = Just Scan

Digital N/R = Off

HDMI Black Level = Set to your device, may be grayed out. Usually "low" unless using PC or expanded levels on PS3/xbox360, in which case set to "Normal".

Film Mode = off (or auto depending on your source)

Blue Mode = Off

Energy Saving = Off

Entertainment modes = Off

Things to consider changing:
  • Backlight - adjust for your environment, higher if you think the picture is too dim, lower if too bright
  • Brightness - depending on your set, you may have to adjust it lower. You should set it with some sort of pattern, if you don't have one, then find a black screen and lower the brightness until you can't see it getting any darker, then go up one.
  • Sharpness - depends on your preference and source. I wouldn't go past about 20 or so on a high-def source though
  • HDMI Black level - it's OK if it's grayed out! If it's not, you need to set it to whatever your device is outputting (in most cases, it's going to be "Low" unless you're using a PC in which case it should be "Normal", or a game console with RGB set to "Full" or "Expanded"
Troubleshooting: "I tried your settings but..."
  • I can't select the warm 2 color tone -- make sure you change the picture mode to "Movie"
  • They're too yellow/reddish/dull -- try setting the color tone to warm 1 or normal
  • Blacks are tinted some color -- adjust R-, G-, and B-offsets in the white balance menu
  • Bright whites have a color tint -- adjust R-, G-, and B-gain
  • Color X looks wrong -- you need to figure out which color it is, then adjust it in the "custom" color space menu. Or just set it to "Auto" and reset color to 50 and tint to G50/R50
  • There's no pop -- the settings are meant to be accurate, not pop. You can get some of the pop effect back by increasing sharpness, turning on edge enhancement, and increasing the backlight and contrast and lowering the brightness, and increasing the gamma setting slightly. But it's probably never going to "pop" like dynamic... sorry
Graphs:

RGB

Gamma

CIE

Equipment:

These settings were obtained using my PS3, with super-white on, with Blu-ray output format set to auto (which makes it YCrCb), and the AVS HD 709 calibration patterns disc. Software was ColorHCFR with an i1display/lt colorimeter. I have a 46" A550.

Notes on dynamic contrast/energy saver:

Setting energy saver to either low/medium/high has pretty much the same effect as adjusting the backlight, so it's safe to do, though you may need to adjust the brightness.

Dynamic contrast does something weird with contrast and brightness that I can't quite explain. It tends to blow out highlight detail and make dark details more contrasty.

What's the effect on contrast ratio? Neither dynamic contrast nor having energy saver set to auto alters the ANSI (on-screen) contrast. Both of them improve the on-off contrast. I'll list them here (these are all approximate numbers):

No fancy features:

On-off: ~1200:1

ANSI: ~2000:1

(NOTE: this is in all likelihood due to a bug in the firmware. I did the measurement twice and saw the effect with my own eyes -- the brightness of a totally black screen was higher than a black square in the ANSI test).

Dynamic contrast on low:

On-off: ~2200:1

Energy saver on auto, dynamic contrast off:

On-off: ~4900:1

Energy saver on auto, dynamic contrast on low:

On-Off: ~4800:1

Pictures

Since everybody loves pictures, I've included some from 1) Samsung HD demo, and 2) Wall-E trailer. For each picture, there is the picture as taken by my camera, and a screenshot directly from the video file.

Caveats: my digtal camera is a simple point and shoot (i.e. no manual control), cameras can't capture exactly what you see, etc etc. I have not touched up any of these pictures aside from resizing. All copyrights belong to their respective companies, etc etc.

Top picture is a picture of the TV, bottom picture is a screen shot of the video. Darkness of the picture is due to my camera

My camera oversaturates green a little bit too

It looks closer in real life...

Some red push from the camera (I guess I should get another camera...)

I dunno, it's pretty close?

Difference in the grass is due to the camera, and maybe the leaves too? It's so close I can't tell anymore...

The clouds actually look pinker on the TV than the picture shows, almost matching the reference image.

In real life, it's close enough that I can't tell (it could be my PC monitor)...

EDIT: Narnia trailer:

Again, some red push from the camera and some clipping of the dynamic range.

Wall-E trailer:

It looks a lot closer in real life, again the camera's clipping the dynamic range and tinting the picture a bit yellow...

If taking these pictures showed me one thing (aside from needing a better camera), it's that the standard settings are actually pretty decent... I could tell a difference, but it was pretty slight.

Comments are welcome! If there are problems, it would be nice if you could give an example from a trailer I can get onto my PS3, so I can see it myself, otherwise I'm shooting in the dark

2021 - 2040 of 3233 Posts