AVS Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 3233 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
My DVI-HDMI cable came in today, so I'm going to do some input lag testing tonight with different connections (maybe tomorrow because of the NBA finals).

The one problem is I dont have a CRT monitor, so I'll be using my laptop monitor as the reference. This means we wont know absolute lag, but I can do comparisons with game mode on/off, hdmi vs vga etc. I thought I would test the following:

HDMI2 - no label

HDMI2 - Labeled Game

HDMI2 - Game mode

VGA

I guess I'll take 5 pictures under each mode and average the results avoid one or two bad captures biasing the results.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p /forum/post/14099611

I use Movie Mode settings close to some posted here, but use Warm 1. My preference is now Warm 1 for Samsungs, gives a bit more pop, nice bright and true whites.

Did you have to just adjust color with warm1? Or what other values did you have to change to make things look right at warm1 vs warm2?

Because I trust that clicq's settings are really good. And again, I need to know if they've been altered since post 771. And I'm also concerned what may become of the picture if I take clicq's settings and then use Warm 1, will that make colors look off? Is it possible clicq to take some pics of different sources like a show or movie on film, and then maybe an animation source like South Park or something? Or Family Guy?

·
Registered
17 Posts
clicq, Just wanted to say thanks for posting your calibration settings. Finally had a chance to try them out this weekend, and it makes the set look much better.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i was just wondering if anyone noticed a difference between HDMI and Component Video when connected to the same source with the same settings? i'm only asking because i'm having a HDMI handshake issue with my 4250HD SA cable box and my 550, and am probably going to end up using Component Video, but pretty much every post about settings was by someone using HDMI...

feel free to link any good Component Video settings, because if there are any here i must have totally missed them. right now i'm using outsider's settings, from the first post with my cable box via HDMI, and their fine...

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2win413 /forum/post/14107084

what's a good calibrating settings for blu ray movies on a ps3 on a ln52a550?

clicq's post 947.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX /forum/post/14108144

i was just wondering if anyone noticed a difference between HDMI and Component Video when connected to the same source with the same settings?

HDMI handles colors differently than component, so yes, you will see a difference.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, I could only do half the tests I wanted last night. It seems I need to get a DVI-VGA cable, since my computer wont let me output a different resolution to the TV at the same time the computer screen is on with VGA. That will help keep the tests consistent since I'm using DVI-HDMI for the other tests.

So far I can't measure any difference in lag by naming HDMI2 "game" or by putting it in game mode. The numbers were:

HDMI2 no name: 7.3ms lag ± 7.0

HDMI2 named game: 10.9ms lag ± 7.5

HDMI2 game mode: 7.75ms lag ± 8.3

There's a lot of variability (as seen by the standard deviation). I took ten pictures and averaged the results. Sometimes there was 0 lag, sometimes there was up to 18ms. In the end none of them are different from one another under my very limited conditions. I'm still trying to see if VGA and HDMI behave differently. I think I have a DVI VGA splitter at work, if so I can test both connections getting the same signal from the computer.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Clicq,

Today I set all the rest of my inputs (HDMI-DVD, S-Video-TiVo SD, and AV-VCR) with your settings and the PQ on each input really improved (I had already used your settings last week on my HDMI-Cable input). What really blew me away is the how those settings cleaned up the SD TiVo and my ancient VCR Tapes. I threw in an old VHS tape of Jurassic Park and before I calibrated the input the PQ was washed out & grainy...after it was vivid & solid(?)...Don't get me wrong, I much rather watch a DVD anythime over a VHS tape, but it's just nice knowing that I can watch one of my old tapes without wanting to rip it out and burn it.

Thanks again,

Ghpr13

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used clicq's settings and they're great for watching movies but when it comes to games I get black crush specially in GTAIV and MGS4, they also look too red

Am I the only one with this issue? I'll post some pictures later

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Because of my reciever, I'll be outputting both my upconverting Toshiba HD-A20, and PS3, through HDMI. Will both of these look fine with either the post 771 settings or will I HAVE to seperate these?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I did a lot more lag testing tonight, and tried to compare VGA to HDMI2 - I found some problems with my last test due to resolution problems.

For the tests, I had both the computer screen and the tv image set to 1280x800. I tested HDMI2 with game mode off, but had the input labeled as game. For vga I had the input labeled as "PC". Again, these are in reference to my ldc computer monitor, not a CRT set meaning 0ms lag would be equal to that of my laptop screen.

The results were:

HDMI2 - 0ms input lag

VGA -25-40 ms lag

I have no idea why VGA would have more input lag then HDMI, I would have put any amount of money on the opposite.

Picture through HDMI2

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desides /forum/post/14111143

HDMI handles colors differently than component, so yes, you will see a difference.

that's what i was thinking too. in that case, has anyone seen any posts with good component video settings, because pretty much everything i've seen in this thread (and over the net for that matter) is via HDMI...

·
Registered
131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX /forum/post/14113503

that's what i was thinking too. in that case, has anyone seen any posts with good component video settings, because pretty much everything i've seen in this thread (and over the net for that matter) is via HDMI...

I would like to know the same thing about component video settings 5 1 6 Hope you don't mind me calling you a #

Why do you use component ? I use it for the Close Caption But when I get my PS3 I will use HDMI cable because when I watch movies from PS3 the DVDs will have subtitle So I will be Ok there

Hey clicq how about hooking us up with a Great setting for component maybe in Standard and Movie, No rush, Just hurry up, Just teasing with you
Your doing a GREAT job making everyone LOVE their 550s more Thanks

·
Registered
829 Posts
Alright, the girlfriend finally finished MGS4, so I got some time to play a bit more with the settings. I changed the settings on my PS3 to disable superwhite mode, because I found it was just making video level white less white. (As a reminder, my PS3 is hooked up via HDMI into HDMI1.)

The firmware on my TV at the time of these settings was 1002.2.

In these settings, I tried to tone down the red a bit but still keep everything as accurate as I could. These settings should be appropriate for any HD device connected through HDMI except for possibly PCs which should use my previous settings.

Most accurate settings

(This with the mode at movie). You must change the mode to movie. It's the first option in the picture menu. You will not be able to choose warm1 or warm2 if you don't!

Backlight = 6

Contrast = 85

Brightness = 49

Sharpness = 0

Color = 50

Tint = G50/R50

DETAILED SETTINGS

Black Adjust = Off

Dynamic Contrast = Off

Gamma = 0

Color Space = Custom

Red: R33 - G0 - B0

Green: R18 - G52 - B0

Blue: R11 - G0 - B51

Yellow: R49 - G53 - B0

Cyan: R22 - G46 - B56

Magenta: R37 - G0 - B43

Flesh Tone = 0

Edge Enhancement = Off

Xycc = Off

WHITE BALANCE

R-Offset = 26

G-Offset = 25

B-Offset = 22

R-Gain = 30

G-Gain = 25

B-Gain = 25

PICTURE OPTIONS

Color Tone = Warm 2

Digital N/R = Off

HDMI Black Level = Low (actually it's disabled when playing Blu-ray)

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
clicq, since you mention your PS3 being plugged into HDMI1, I'm wondering... does it really make a difference which HDMI port you plug a device into? I would hope not; I have my DirecTV box in HDMI1, my PC in HDMI2, and my PS3 in HDMI3.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Your first set of settings look really good. Now that I can see Warm 2 in action, it makes black and white material look the way it's supposed to. That's for sure. The second set of settings, are also decent!

The whites in the image for the second Hancock trailer don't really look 'warm' at all. That picture, at least by seeing it from your snapshot, looks very natural and 'movie theater' like.

It's in the video game where you can really see the 'warmth' of the picture and for games, the 'accurate' settings may be a little too warm for my blood
Well, it seems clicq that you've had the best things to help us out with on this set so far. I'll probably be using either your first or second set of settings

Oh, btw, I'd be curious to see video game comparisons between your first and second set of settings, as opposed to first set of settings vs game mode.

Thank you so much clicq!!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desides /forum/post/14114374

clicq, since you mention your PS3 being plugged into HDMI1, I'm wondering... does it really make a difference which HDMI port you plug a device into? I would hope not; I have my DirecTV box in HDMI1, my PC in HDMI2, and my PS3 in HDMI3.

I couldn't discern a visual difference when switching between HDMI ports, so I don't think the port matters. I was just including that info for sake of completeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman /forum/post/14114706

Your first set of settings look really good. Now that I can see Warm 2 in action, it makes black and white material look the way it's supposed to. That's for sure. The second set of settings, are also decent!

The whites in the image for the second Hancock trailer don't really look 'warm' at all. That picture, at least by seeing it from your snapshot, looks very natural and 'movie theater' like.

It's in the video game where you can really see the 'warmth' of the picture and for games, the 'accurate' settings may be a little too warm for my blood
Well, it seems clicq that you've had the best things to help us out with on this set so far. I'll probably be using either your first or second set of settings

Oh, btw, I'd be curious to see video game comparisons between your first and second set of settings, as opposed to first set of settings vs game mode.

Thank you so much clicq!!!!

Your wish is my command, I updated the post with a few additional pictures. Actually, judging from the screenshot (which I assume is captured without the use of a camera), the game is supposed to look a little warm.

I should also emphasize that these pictures, being taken by a camera, may not exactly reflect what we see. I could make all the pictures look closer, for example, if I had the camera use automatic white balance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, i just bought a LN46A530, i' very happy with it, except I have a little problem with my PC, connected via DVI-to-HMDI.

When I set my video card to output at [email protected], in my TV menu I can adjust all settings I want. But when I set the TV output to [email protected], a lot of settings on the TV comes grayed out like the Just Scan option, Sharpness, etc...

Do you have an idea of what could be the problem ?

My video card is an ATi HD3870 using the last drivers on Windows XP.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
16 Posts
I finally got a reply from Mr. Samsung who works for Samsung. He asked some experts in the office and found out this about our picture sizing issue.

Just scan should only be used with PCs. Just scan is a 1:1 pixel mapping picture size, which eliminates overscan. This is useful when using the TV as a PC monitor because PCs do not have overscan, so some of the PC image would be cut off. By using Just Scan, the picture fills the screen just as it should.

However, other broadcast signals, such as TV, or DVD, do have overscan, which are parts of the picture that you are not intended to see, such as the white or yellow line described below. By selecting Just Scan, you are bringing these lines into view. The proper setting, to view the picture as intended, is 16:9. There will be no stretching or zooming of a natural 16:9 image when using the 16:9 picture setting.

981 - 1000 of 3233 Posts