AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

It is with great pleasure I begin an official Owner’s thread of madVR’s new video processor the Envy. From unboxing to installing the entire set up was a breeze. My main goal was to improve football and also have a great solution for minimizing black bars when we watch movies. I had been using the Oppo 203 1.2 Zoom mode to accomplish it when along came the Envy which automatically does it on its own. And of course I wanted to consider DTM since I have been using the various tweaks of my Sony projectors to get the best out of the image. Dynamic Tone Mapping has been an amazing experience with the Envy. Darker movies suddenly come alive in the shadows. We watch a lot of horror movies and the Envy effortlessly made our movie experiences next level. The best about the Envy I can say was for the most part this was all plug and play. Oh and football became quite the experience at home. Many here who know me remember I have always been an “eye candy extremist“ who loves the pop with sports. Uniforms, grass/turf and helmets have never looked better. Clear, vivid and very detailed.

Currently I am working on my Sony 915ES with Envy report and had a little delay when our son Dallas was born last week. I will add more to this thread but look forward to Owner’s sharing settings and experiences. I will post some of mine very soon...

Also congratulations to madVR for winning Cedia’s best new hardware product award. Well deserved!

FIRMWARE VERSION: 1.0.0.0

·
Premium Member
23,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

So the first pic is without the Envy going straight into my Sony 995. The second is with my “lighter” settings and of course the third is with my “eye candy extreme” settings. Again I will post my settings very soon. I am now getting nearly the exact same results with Sony’s new 915ES which uses their X1 processing. I will say the Envy makes such a significant upgrade you get more from it than buying a new display.

·
Premium Member
23,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Now keep in mind these pics are from an out of the box 915ES. I just think it shows a great example of what the Envy’s DTM is capable of. I am still experimenting with various settings but have them pretty much dialed in where I plan to keep them. Obviously displays and screens will yield different results and tastes. The Envy makes it super easy to tweak with a super nice and easy to read GUI. Speaking of the updating it is so easy to do. At the click of a button you can go back to the previous firmware in just a couple seconds if you decide for whatever reason you don’t want to stay on the latest. More GUI pics coming soon!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

My favorite tweak for football is changing the Levels to Full Range. That is only to be used for sports. Movies and TV shows definitely leave it on Limited. I have always been a fan of this tweak and it goes back to my DVDO processor days. I will add more setting soon. Of course keep in mind these may not work with other screens and displays but could be uses as a good starting position. Settings are like ice cream. Everyone has different tastes. Experiment some and see what works best for your eyes...

:)

·
Premium Member
23,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Instead of a Manual the next Envy build will feature context sensitive help Explaining what each options does. I personally think this is better than a manual since you instantly get the help you’re looking for right on your screen. No need to look it up.

And as you can see the GUI is hands down the best looking I have seen. The amount of info at your finger tips is astounding...

·
Premium Member
23,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
All of my time using the madVR Envy with the 915 has been amazing. Be it sports or movies. And yes the 915 has definitely improved the HDR experience. But like I said at the end of my Report-

As great as the Sony 915 is pairing it with a madVR Envy is like hitting that button during a race in the Fast and the Furious.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Nice work on the owner’s thread Joe. I took delivery on my Envy Extreme about 10 days ago. To see what I have been missing, by adding DTM to my Sony 5000, has certainly been an eye-opening experience. The picture is so much better on so many levels with the Envy now in the chain. To think this is accomplished in just a few minutes by simply entering the projector’s nits levels into the Envy’s Display Configuration menu. Just a remarkable piece of tech. I am very impressed... more to come.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Subscribed. Looking forward to see more stuff on this.

Reactions: joerod

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
My Envy Extreme has been ordered , currently on route, the Lumagen Pro 4440 has found a new home. I'm still a month or two away from firing up the new theater, so I'll be interested in all the discussions and feedback as the full capabilities are realized. I have a number of friends with the Envy, the reports are all overwhelmingly positive , so I cannot wait to add this piece to my AV rack, provide some of my own real world experiences.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Do these help with TVs too? For instance I have a 75Z9D and am considering getting a 77CX as well soon-what would this add to this if anything?

1 - 20 of 283 Posts