AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
As @hockyAVS points out, with the DCR Lens and the Envy, 16:9 does not make full use of the chip (while 2.40:1 does). This was of concern to me initially, but I have to say that I don't see any problem, or lack of brightness. To avoid this, you would have to remove the DCR Lens, and then rezoom the projector's lens, to make full use of the chip for 16:9. But for most of us, this is impractical, and honestly, I don't feel like I'm "losing out" on anything when watching 16:9 content with the DCR and Envy. It has the same pixel density and appearance as 2.40:1 content, just not going the full width.

There is no barrel distortion when viewing 16:9 content in this fashion, since you are not using the full sides of the chip and lens. Barrel distortion is present to some degree when viewing 2.40:1 content, but we just zoom the image slightly so that those areas get masked in the screen's frame.

And further, Madshi has indicated that he is planning on adding the capability to reduce or eliminate the barrel distortion down the road (for the Extreme version, as of the last I read on this). These future enhancements contributed to my decision to go with the Envy.
Thank you for that clarification, so in the case where one is using the DCR without an Envy, how do you watch 16:9 content on a 2.4:1 screen assuming that you want the height filled and image centred? Panamorph mentions that there is no need to remove the lens for scope and flat.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Thank you for that clarification, so in the case where one is using the DCR without an Envy, how do you watch 16:9 content on a 2.4:1 screen assuming that you want the height filled and image centred? Panamorph mentions that there is no need to remove the lens for scope and flat.
With the DCR, JVC provides Anamorphic Mode C, which scales 2.40:1 content, and Anamorphic Mode D, which scales 16:9 content. So you just switch Anamorphic Mode depending on which you are watching. Works perfectly in this context.

But there is content with a variety of other aspect ratios: 1.85:1, 2.00:1, 2.20:1 being the most common. You still only have the 2 JVC Anamorphic modes to choose from, so there will be some degree of compromise whichever one you use.

This is one of the major reasons that I got the Envy - to seamlessly handle all those "in-between" aspect ratios. With the Envy in place, you turn the JVC Anamorphic mode Off, and the Envy then functions in that capacity, scaling whatever content you watch to fill the height of your screen, achieving the maximum horizontal image size possible for that content.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
With the DCR, JVC provides Anamorphic Mode C, which scales 2.40:1 content, and Anamorphic Mode D, which scales 16:9 content. So you just switch Anamorphic Mode depending on which you are watching. Works perfectly in this context.

But there is content with a variety of other aspect ratios: 1.85:1, 2.00:1, 2.20:1 being the most common. You still only have the 2 JVC Anamorphic modes to choose from, so there will be some degree of compromise whichever one you use.

This is one of the major reasons that I got the Envy - to seamlessly handle all those "in-between" aspect ratios. With the Envy in place, you turn the JVC Anamorphic mode Off, and the Envy then functions in that capacity, scaling whatever content you watch to fill the height of your screen, achieving the maximum horizontal image size possible for that content.
How do you switch anamorphic modes e.g. between 2.4:1 and 16:9? - is it an electronic mechanism? The lens comes with a remote control?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
How do you switch anamorphic modes e.g. between 2.4:1 and 16:9? - is it an electronic mechanism? The lens comes with a remote control?
Just the push of a button. And the Anamorphic Modes are set within the JVC - they are JVC functions, not Lens functions. The Anamorphic mode is internal scaling of the image, which is done electronically, not physically.

With the JVC remote, there might be a few button presses to get there. But many of us use universal remotes or other automated systems. Prior to getting the Envy, I had dedicated buttons on my Control4 Remote so that a single button would activate Mode C, while another would select Mode D. Easy-peasy!;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’ve been using mine for about 2 weeks. I wanted to add a review with my early impressions. I’m using the standard firmware and have not downloaded the newest alpha/pre-beta firmware yet. I’m looking forward to trying it out.

Let me first describe my equipment since I believe that makes a difference for each application. My equipment is in a dedicated media room. I have the Envy Extreme with the newest video processor. I’m using a Sony 885 with the Panamorph DCR lens. It’s projected on a Firehawk G4 130” 2.35:1 screen with motorized masking. I had been using this same setup with the HR Fury Vertex2 Dolby Vision hack prior to the Envy for about 3 months. System was calibrated by ChadB 1 year ago (140 nits) before the Vertex2 was added. Image is running unprocessed through a Marantz 8805 which is doing the video/audio switching. Oppo 205 is the video player with ATV 4K for streaming.

My experience level is moderate. I’ve been projecting in my home theater for 10 years and this is my 3rd projector and first 4K laser. I also have a 65” LG C8 OLED flat screen to compare image quality with. It’s also been calibrated by ChadB and runs with a Panasonic 820 blu-ray player. I do not do my own calibration work and leave that to the experts. I do, however, do my own installation and upgrade work with my components. I consider this a hobby.

My first impression with the Envy was how easy it was to install. I had already purchased quality HDMI cables as the Vertex2 was finicky and required good high speed cables. Since I had already run the wires I just unplugged the Vertex2 and added in the Envy. I will note it is large. It will take up 5 slots in a dedicated rack system and is heat sensitive. They can run warm so adequate ventilation is necessary. My rack has a thermostat fan system to deal with heat so I was fine.

It is quiet and I’ve not heard any noise distractions from the unit or from it’s cooling fans. I do listen to my movies at moderate levels so I’m not sensitive to ambient noise much. My laser on the Sony is set to 100% and I never admit to hearing it. It is well behind my viewing position and my room is pretty cold so I never hear it at high speed.

When my projector was calibrated ChadB gave me 3 settings. One for HDR and 2 for SDR (one for bright sports with lights on and one for SDR movies). The HDR setting had a custom gamma and accurate color calibration. He programmed the remote’s Film 1 setting for my HDR calibration. This will become important later because of some issues I was having.

Prior to the Envy and Vertex2 I was happy with my image and performance. However, you never really know until it’s side by side to another system how good your picture really is. What I missed the most was the deep dark blacks from my old JVC projector especially with HDR material. However, I love the brightness, the sharpness, and the laser image and would never go back. After reading and researching on these forums I knew there was more to be had. I also struggled with the anamorphic lens some because of how they cut off the top and bottom of 16:9 material. This was an issue with cable broadcasts and blu-ray movies on the main menu. It cut off the scores for sports broadcasts and the selection portion of movies in the main menu. Upscaling was also very mediocre from the xfinity cable box.

I had started going down the path looking at video processors. I knew my what my OLED picture was like and I went on a quest to get my projector as close as possible. I wanted deeper blacks, colors with more pop, and dynamic tone mapping. I had been keeping an eye on the Lumagen Radiance Pro boards. I even spoke to one of the sales associates about purchasing one pre-Covid. I always kept a small concern about the Lumagen in my mind that I would need professional setup, installation and calibration. It does come out with regular firmware updates, but it is not HDMI 2.1 ready. Not that my system is there today I do want something that is ready when the day comes and I upgrade to the next level projector. My current pace is every 3-4 years and I am on year 2 with my current one. Then Covid hit and I went dark for a while with my upgrades.

To be financially responsible instead of spending thousands on a video processor I had learned that the HD Fury products could replicate Dolby Vision on non DV equipment. I knew DV claimed to have significantly better color saturation and black handling so I figured $400 would be a reasonable investment. I already have the Oppo 205 which can force Dolby Vision so this seemed like a very easy upgrade. The Sony 885 forums were full of good things to say and had figured out the best calibrations so I jumped in. It was pretty easy to get running. I did have to upgrade my HDMI cables to 6ft from 3 ft to avoid some issues.

The upgrade was definitely worth it for bright content. The color saturation was much improved. Daylight scenes just popped. Colors looked more vivid and detailed. I have the Dolby Vision/Atmos demo disc and it was a pleasure to watch. However, the black handling was slightly worse as the blacks were crushed and less detailed. The movie Invisible Man was almost unwatchable with the Vertex2 DV hack. Too many dark scenes in this scary movie. Also many streamed videos that had darker scenes were not great. I have kept this upgrade for the last 3 months and I would say for the money it was worth it, but then again there is better to be had.

Now that things are more stable I resumed my search which was when the Envy became the newest contender. While I was playing around looking at the Lumigen and HD Fury, the Envy finally made it into production. Maybe this was serendipitous, but it was not without some growing pains. MadVR as you are aware are still getting their dealer network figured out. Distribution has been difficult in some areas. Also the early Extreme’s didn’t come with Nvidia’s newest GeForce 3080 graphics cards.

Putting all of this aside, I can say I am glad I waited for it. I got the Extreme with the newest updates and upgrades. At first glance, I was slightly confused in setting things up. There were no instructions in the box. Thank goodness it’s really really easy and that JoeRod posted a pdf of the instructions here. I just plugged it in and turned it on. Richard sent me an email with basic setting instructions that he felt I should start with on the 885.

I only had to input my maximum brightness from my calibration, the gamma the projector was using, and if I was using an anamorphic lens. That was it. Easy right? This is where I encountered my first problem. My custom calibration did not use one of the standard gamma formats. Instead ChadB had used a custom gamma and it did not play well with the Envy. The colors were all over saturated, the blacks were crushed, and the whites clipped. Something wasn’t working. I moved off the custom calibration settings to Film2 (HDR setting native to the projector) and things looked significantly better. It was using gamma 2.4 which fixed the black crush and white clipping, but the color pop was gone from my calibration. At first I tried to use Film1 (custom calibration) and just change the gamma, but that did not help much. I tried 2.4 and then 2.6. I changed the Envy to match, but to no avail.

Finally, I moved all the custom color calibration data from Film1 (custom) to Film2 and left the gamma at 2.4 and boom it was perfect. I had the perfect color saturation and pop without the black crush and white clipping. I was using a lot of the GoPro 4K videos on ATV YouTube to help me eyeball the settings. These are nice because they go from ski/snow board videos (all white) to dark scenes and then to outdoor nature scenes back and forth quickly so you can compare settings. I was really happy with these new settings. Last quick fix was when watching Mulan. This movie has some really good color scenes with all the vivid costumes used. However, the sky scenes all had significant video noise. I couldn’t figure out why I had never seen this with my projector before. I turned the Noise reduction on the projector back to minimum from off and it was gone. Not sure what the deal was with that. I’ve not had image noise before.

The other significant upgrades with the Envy are black bar removal, up-scaling and aspect ratio management. I love the black bar removal and forced constant aspect ratio. I like to keep my anamorphic lens in place and use the whole screen. The black bar removal and aspect ratio management are amazing. I love using every inch of the screen. The reconfigured aspect ratios keep the image looking as normal as possible without losing the sides or the tops of the image. Watching Tenet and having the aspect ratio change multiple times in the movie can be maddening. With the Envy I barely noticed when it automatically adjusted the scenes and kept the image using all the available screen. With 16:9 content it allows the whole screen to be used and I can still see the scores/news on the bottom scroll smoothly while the content looks decent without squishing or flattening the picture too much. The up-scaling is also amazing. My Xfinity cable football/sports broadcasts are terrible. The HD looks like SD half the time. The Envy has been able to clean up the image and make sports look decent. Decent is not 4K, but the image looks substantially better. You can turn up the settings too high (Insane) and over-process the image, but overall it’s much better with the Envy than without.

So far I’m very happy with it. Obviously I have some bias as I paid a significant price for the unit and I don’t have massive experience with the competition. I am planning to get the system recalibrated after a few months of playing with it myself to make sure I am getting the best picture possible. I look forward to more improvements and for more input from this community.

·
Premium Member
23,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Welcome aboard and congratulations. You now have the best image possible to date for home theater. Great movies planned for this weekend are Greenland and WW84! Have a happy and safe New Year’s everyone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It has probably been named before but can't find it.
I know that there is a Rtx3080 in the Envy Extreme but can't find GPU info on the Envy Pro.
Any who can help out here?

Sendt fra min SM-G986B med Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
The upgrade was definitely worth it for bright content. The color saturation was much improved. Daylight scenes just popped. Colors looked more vivid and detailed. I have the Dolby Vision/Atmos demo disc and it was a pleasure to watch. However, the black handling was slightly worse as the blacks were crushed and less detailed. The movie Invisible Man was almost unwatchable with the Vertex2 DV hack. Too many dark scenes in this scary movie. Also many streamed videos that had darker scenes were not great. I have kept this upgrade for the last 3 months and I would say for the money it was worth it, but then again there is better to be had.
If this was your experience then I’m certain you had something setup wrong. I find that the blacks and shadow detail are the single biggest improvement with the hdfury lldv solution.

I noticed later in your post you mention having to switch modes with your new envy to fix black crush from your prior calibration, so I am sure that’s what your issue was with the lldv solution too, but you just didn’t make that correction for whatever reason.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If this was your experience then I’m certain you had something setup wrong. I find that the blacks and shadow detail are the single biggest improvement with the hdfury lldv solution.

I noticed later in your post you mention having to switch modes with your new envy to fix black crush from your prior calibration, so I am sure that’s what your issue was with the lldv solution too, but you just didn’t make that correction for whatever reason.
Nope. Your experience is not my experience. Being certain about someone else’s setup is a bit of an overreach. Careful making assumptions.

LLDV makes some good improvements, but they are limited. Until you’ve seen the differences between each device on one system you can’t really comment.

I had already tried multiple picture modes with the HD Fury and it helped some (same adjustments as the Envy). If I could have made things as good as you suppose I would have never upgraded. In my system the blacks were crushed and the whites were too bright. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nope. Your experience is not my experience. Being certain about someone else’s setup is a bit of an overreach. Careful making assumptions.

LLDV makes some good improvements, but they are limited. Until you’ve seen the differences between each device on one system you can’t really comment.

I had already tried multiple picture modes with the HD Fury and it helped some (same adjustments as the Envy). If I could have made things as good as you suppose I would have never upgraded. In my system the blacks were crushed and the whites were too bright. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It is the general consensus, not just mine. That’s the first thing noticed when implemented.

Enjoy your Envy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Excuse me, I updated the firmweare to version 1.1.0.0. To the previous version I had the possibility to update the edid by pressing the power button. Now I can't anymore. I can associate various functions but no longer the edid. Am I wrong something? Thanks.
Cesare.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just uploaded the newest firmware. Much better interface and now having the setting instructions embedded into the GUI is awesome. This thing is so easy to use. I also love the fact that the adjustments can be temporary or permanent. This way I can never really mess it up that badly. Worst case scenario is that I shut it off and restart it. Voila it’s back to the normal settings. Also adding multiple user configured settings will allow me to quickly adjust things when I use my terrible cable box to watch live sports or cable broadcasts.

·
Registered
HT Setup: Sony VPL- VW665ES Projector, Stewart 140" screen, Marantz AV8805, B&W 803, Kaleidescape
35 Posts
Envy Extreme arrived and is being installed today!
Although it is a part of my New Years upgrade spree - Barco Bragi and Studiotek 130 G4 are also on that list and being unboxed / mounted - nevertheless I am super excited to see results I get with Envy/ Barco combo.

·
aka jfinnie
4,867 Posts
Envy Extreme arrived and is being installed today!
Although it is a part of my New Years upgrade spree - Barco Bragi and Studiotek 130 G4 are also on that list and being unboxed / mounted - nevertheless I am super excited to see results I get with Envy/ Barco combo.
Wow, nice upgrade there! :)
Is the Envy capable of outputting the native panel resolution for the Bragi and doing all the scaling in the system?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have been interested in the Envy Extreme for a while now and read through this and much of the anticipation thread. I might have completely overlooked it, but is there a list of hardware components used in the Envy Extreme?
As I understand it is now (2021?) equipped with a NVidia RTX 3080 Graphic Card. I would however like to know what warrants the petty steep price tag. Considering it is a PC After All....
Thanks in a advance.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have been interested in the Envy Extreme for a while now and read through this and much of the anticipation thread. I might have completely overlooked it, but is there a list of hardware components used in the Envy Extreme?
This has been discussed many times in the past: you´re buying a product/solution, not a bunch of hardware components.
I would however like to know what warrants the petty steep price tag.
The software running on the hardware, not the hardware itself.

Reactions: MDesigns

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hello everyone,
As I understand it is now (2021?) equipped with a NVidia RTX 3080 Graphic Card. I would however like to know what warrants the petty steep price tag. Considering it is a PC After All....
Thanks in a advance.
Break does the cost of the components in a Lumagen....

·
aka jfinnie
4,867 Posts
Break does the cost of the components in a Lumagen....
Harder to do than you might imagine, as the true volume prices of the FPGA chips used are hard to get and the only retail prices you'll find are ridonculous on the likes of Mouser and Digikey. I don't know the part numbers for the Lumagen devices as they're under heatsink and I have no desire to bust mine, but the FPGA used in the JVC DLA-N5, for example, "retails" at over $2000 when I last looked it up...!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Harder to do than you might imagine, as the true volume prices of the FPGA chips used are hard to get and the only retail prices you'll find are ridonculous on the likes of Mouser and Digikey. I don't know the part numbers for the Lumagen devices as they're under heatsink and I have no desire to bust mine, but the FPGA used in the JVC DLA-N5, for example, "retails" at over $2000 when I last looked it up...!
Point being cost of parts has little to do with cost of final product which has to include things like R&D, support, OH&P, etc.

Lumagen Pro didn't even have DTM when I bought it and I certainly didn't get a bill when I updated.

221 - 240 of 283 Posts