AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 675 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
@madshi I want to personally thank you for keeping an eye out for us on this forum. I believe keeping some presence here and answering some questions, the community will be all the better for it.

The owners/users of these units need a robust community available to figure out our common issues and problems. We shouldn’t have to constantly email customer service for answers. Maybe it’s a little selfish on my part, but I find it much more rewarding to read and discover solutions here. Also this becomes a database for future owners to seek answers for the same problems. These threads often serve to get more people to purchase/invest in this equipment. I’ve long read the Lumagen threads and it helped me formulate my decision to purchase a video processor.

There are few professional reviews of these products especially unbiased reviews that are not simply dealers trying to sell more product. I applaud you for all the work you’ve done in getting us to where we are today.

I look forward for many more updates and improvements.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
I look forward for many more updates and improvements.
Me, too! It's still early days for us. I have a couple exciting algos planned, but I'm still in the process of catching up on completing the missing features. Urgently to do are still NLS, HLG and 3D. It's a bit frustrating to me how slowly things are moving, but I guess Rome wasn't build in a day, either...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum.
I'd like to create a 3dlut for the Envy with Dispcal.
First question: When Envy sends patterns on screen they are not full screen (square at the center), how can i change this and use full screen patterns?
Regards.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
irst question: When Envy sends patterns on screen they are not full screen (square at the center), how can i change this and use full screen patterns?
Should not be an issue - just point your sensor to the pattern area. The sensor covers a much smaller area anyway.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
The calibration software can change the Envy test pattern size if it wants to, but whether or not it allows you you to choose is up to the calibration software developers.

You can set the area yourself via IP control, using this Windows tool:

Connect to your Envy, then you can send the custom command "SetTestPatternImageArea 100%".

·
Registered
3 Posts
The calibration software can change the Envy test pattern size if it wants to, but whether or not it allows you you to choose is up to the calibration software developers.

You can set the area yourself via IP control, using this Windows tool:

Connect to your Envy, then you can send the custom command "SetTestPatternImageArea 100%".
Thanks Madshi,
that's just what I needed.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Hey guys, just to let you know:

The latest 1.4.0.x firmware now adds support for both HLG and 3D. There are 3 different 1.4.0.x builds, each of which has a different HDMI driver. If you happen to have HDMI handshake issues, you can try all 3 and see which one works best for you. The most likely "good" one is 1.4.0.2, next best likely 1.4.0.1, probably not recommended is 1.4.0.0, but you can try all 3. If one of these is working clearly better for you than the others then please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Is there any page that lists the different types of 3D supported added in this change? Like top/bottom, side-by-side, active, passive, etc etc, I don't even remember them all. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Are you talking about 3D formats on the Envy input side (= the format sent by the source device to the Envy) or on the Envy output side (= the format supported by your TV/projector)?

The by far most important format on both sides is the one used by Blu-Ray for 3D movies, of course, which is frame packed 1080p24. Envy supports that on both sides.

There are a few other formats, but those are rarely (if ever) used today, AFAIK. In theory Envy has the ability to let you activate side-by-side or top-and-bottom 3D, if your source device happens to send 3D signals that way. Envy will then convert this into proper frame packed 1080p24 for your display. But I'm not aware of any current sources (TV or otherwise) which still use that format, so I've not tested it in a long while.

On the display side, every 3D display I know supports frame packed 3D, so on the output side that's the only 3D format Envy supports. It's the best format, so why support anything else?

Active vs passive is a choice made by your display/projector manufacturer and has nothing to do with the Envy.

In theory there is also frame packed 720p50/60 3D, which Envy currently does not support. But again, I don't think any source is using that today. Honestly, I think the only 3D format that really matters today is frame packed 1080p24.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey guys, just to let you know:

The latest 1.4.0.x firmware now adds support for both HLG and 3D. There are 3 different 1.4.0.x builds, each of which has a different HDMI driver. If you happen to have HDMI handshake issues, you can try all 3 and see which one works best for you. The most likely "good" one is 1.4.0.2, next best likely 1.4.0.1, probably not recommended is 1.4.0.0, but you can try all 3. If one of these is working clearly better for you than the others then please let me know. Thanks!
Thanks for incorporating the 3D function. Thought I will provide some feedback.

The test 1402 fw seems to work mostly okay except for the following:

1) Scaling of 3D scope 2.40 content seems to not work well. I can temporarily address this by choosing to remove small black borders but this is not ideal as some content is lost; and
2) The treatment of subtitles seems inconsistent. Sometimes appearing in the background and sometimes in the foreground of the 3D image.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
播放SDR电影时如何设置?
In theory the Envy should handle SDR content just fine without needing any special setup. What you want to do is, of course, to run the Screen Boundaries assistant, but that's only helpful if your screen aspect ratio doesn't match your projector aspect ratio. Or you may want to hire a calibrator to do a 3dlut calibration for you.

1) Scaling of 3D scope 2.40 content seems to not work well. I can temporarily address this by choosing to remove small black borders but this is not ideal as some content is lost
Could this have to do with the difference between 4096x2160 and 1920x1080 output resolutions? If you're normally using 4096x2160 then you're making use of the full width of your projector panel. Unfortunately doing that doesn't work for 3D. So you will have small black bars left/right for scope content in 3D. The only way to fix that would be to change the optical zoom of your projector, or to drop the 2D output resolution from 4096x2160 down to 3840x2160. In the latter case you would also have to change the optical zoom of your projector, but at least it would then be the same for 2D and 3D.

2) The treatment of subtitles seems inconsistent. Sometimes appearing in the background and sometimes in the foreground of the 3D image.
Are you sure that this is something that is changed by Envy? It sounds unlikely to me. The depth of the 3D subtitles depends on an X position offset between the subtitles in the left vs right eye view. Envy does not usually shift image content left/right, especially not for left vs right eye views. So I'm having a hard time imagining how Envy would effect the depth of subtitles. I guess it's not impossible, but right now I don't understand how that could happen. So can you please double check that this is a problem introduced by Envy and not caused by either your source device or the movie itself?

P.S: Just to explain: Envy never "renders" subtitles. That's the job of the source device. But of course Envy is supposed to properly show the subtitles as rendered by the source device.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Could this have to do with the difference between 4096x2160 and 1920x1080 output resolutions? If you're normally using 4096x2160 then you're making use of the full width of your projector panel. Unfortunately doing that doesn't work for 3D. So you will have small black bars left/right for scope content in 3D. The only way to fix that would be to change the optical zoom of your projector, or to drop the 2D output resolution from 4096x2160 down to 3840x2160. In the latter case you would also have to change the optical zoom of your projector, but at least it would then be the same for 2D and 3D.
Not sure if it is caused by me using using 4096x2160 but I have small black bars on both the top and bottom as well as the sides. I would have posted a photo but the black bars are not visible on the photo.

[Edit] 1.85:1 scales perfectly in 3D (of course with the side black bars) - just the 2.40 material which has the top and bottom bars.

Are you sure that this is something that is changed by Envy? It sounds unlikely to me. The depth of the 3D subtitles depends on an X position offset between the subtitles in the left vs right eye view. Envy does not usually shift image content left/right, especially not for left vs right eye views. So I'm having a hard time imagining how Envy would effect the depth of subtitles. I guess it's not impossible, but right now I don't understand how that could happen. So can you please double check that this is a problem introduced by Envy and not caused by either your source device or the movie itself?

P.S: Just to explain: Envy never "renders" subtitles. That's the job of the source device. But of course Envy is supposed to properly show the subtitles as rendered by the source device.
Tbh, I do not know whether or not this is as a result of the Envy. May be it is how the subtitles are rendered by the source.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Not sure if it is caused by me using using 4096x2160 but I have small black bars on both the top and bottom as well as the sides. I would have posted a photo but the black bars are not visible on the photo.
If you think about it, your projector panel has a resolution of 4096x2160. And you've most probably setup the optical zoom so that the width of the panel (4096 pixels) exactly fills the width of your screen, correct? Now if we switch to 3D, the only supported resolution by both Envy and your projector is 1920x1080. Neither Envy nor your projector support 2048x1080 or 4096x2160 in 3D. But because the resolution is 1920x1080 and not 2048x1080 or 4096x2160, that means that those extra pixels on the left and right edges of your projector panel can not be used. They're always unused = black, when Envy sends a 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 signal to your projector. So that means that due to laws of physics you always automatically get small black bars on the left and right side of your screen in 3D. This can not be avoided - unless maybe you can switch your projector into a zoom mode where it zooms that 1920x1080 signal up to 2048x1080, to make use of the full width of the panel. Or alternatively, you can zoom in optically.

So why do you get black bars all around the edges? Well, Envy knows that there's no way to fill the width of your screen (because it can't use the full 4096 pixels of your projector's panel in 3D mode). So Envy knows there will be black bars left and right of your screen. But why then does it add black bars top and bottom, as well? That's because with default settings, Envy doesn't want to cut off any image content. But it would have to (left and right), if it wanted to fill the height of the screen.

To sum up: The problem is caused by using the full width of your projector panel (4096 pixels) in 2D mode, while we can only use 3840 pixels in 3D mode. Which automatically results in small black bars left/right. And due to Envy not wanting to cut off any pixels, you get black bars top/bottom, as well.

This is not a bug in the Envy, or a limitation of the Envy, it's caused by 3D being technically limited (in both Envy and your projector) to 1920x1080.

Hope that makes sense?

P.S: Maybe a good solution would be to setup a lens memory for 2D vs 3D, where 3D zooms in just a little bit? You may also want to run the Screen Boundaries assistant once more for 3D and store that in an Auto Profile, so it activates for 3D content. This would help achieve optimal zoom for 16:9 3D movies.

Tbh, I do not know whether or not this is as a result of the Envy. May be it is how the subtitles are rendered by the source.
I bet it's the source. Please feel free to double check. Let me know if it's caused by Envy, but I really doubt it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Madshi. I am not technically savvy- just a user of tech - but yes, it makes sense, sort of...

So why do you get black bars all around the edges? Well, Envy knows that there's no way to fill the width of your screen (because it can't use the full 4096 pixels of your projector's panel in 3D mode). So Envy knows there will be black bars left and right of your screen. But why then does it add black bars top and bottom, as well? That's because with default settings, Envy doesn't want to cut off any image content. But it would have to (left and right), if it wanted to fill the height of the screen
One question (please forgive my ignorance): If Envy knows there will be sizeable black bars on the sides (256 pixels worth), should it not also know that filling the height of the screen will, at worst, merely reduce the size of the large side black bars? Yes, the sides will lose pixels but only useless black ones?

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Unless I misunderstand your screen configuration and movie aspect ratio, it's not possible for Envy to reduce the size of the side black bars.

Imagine this: What happens if you modify the optical zoom of your projector in such a way that the image is very tiny in the middle of the screen? Now do you think Envy can somehow make the image fill the screen by using digital processing? It's not possible, because digital processing can not change where the light of your projector goes. The optical zoom of your projector defines how big the image can possibly get, and Envy is a slave to that fact. Now when using 1920x1080 output resolution, we can only use a part of your projector panel, which means that the max possible size of the projected image automatically shrinks in width, so it's no longer possible for Envy to fill the screen. The only way to fill the screen would be to make the extra 256 pixels of your projector panel show something other than black. But that's not possible for Envy when sending 1920x1080 - unless your projector has an internal zoom mode which zooms the 1920x1080 signal up to use the extra 256 pixels of your projector panel. I don't know if your projector has such an internal zoom mode.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Unless I misunderstand your screen configuration and movie aspect ratio, it's not possible for Envy to reduce the size of the side black bars.

Imagine this: What happens if you modify the optical zoom of your projector in such a way that the image is very tiny in the middle of the screen? Now do you think Envy can somehow make the image fill the screen by using digital processing? It's not possible, because digital processing can not change where the light of your projector goes. The optical zoom of your projector defines how big the image can possibly get, and Envy is a slave to that fact. Now when using 1920x1080 output resolution, we can only use a part of your projector panel, which means that the max possible size of the projected image automatically shrinks in width, so it's no longer possible for Envy to fill the screen. The only way to fill the screen would be to make the extra 256 pixels of your projector panel show something other than black. But that's not possible for Envy when sending 1920x1080 - unless your projector has an internal zoom mode which zooms the 1920x1080 signal up to use the extra 256 pixels of your projector panel. I don't know if your projector has such an internal zoom mode.
I do understand that its not possible for Envy to reduce the size of the side black bars.

My screen resolution is [Edit] 4096x2160 3840. My screen is a 2.40 scope screen.

I have tried 2 3D sources- Avatar and Passengers. Avatar is 1.85 source and it fills the screen height perfectly. Passengers is a 2.40 source and I have small black bars top and bottom.

If I understand you correctly, the black bars at the top and bottom for Passengers in 3D is expected behaviour. What I do not understand (perhaps because I am completely out of my depth on these matters) is why there are no top and bottom black bars for 1.85 3D content but there are for 2.40 3D content.

Edit: 4k UHD (3840X2160) 2.40 2D content scales perfectly- no top and bottom bars .

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
@StephenBishop Are you using an Anamorphic Lens (if so, which one)?
And what is your Aspect setting: Native or Zoom?

You said:
My screen resolution is 4096x3840. My screen is a 2.40 scope screen.
Not sure what this is trying to say?

I'm trying to sort this out as well (although I haven't tried watching 3D yet).

621 - 640 of 675 Posts