AVS Forum banner

5501 - 5520 of 12599 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
THANK YOU BOTH! You've made me a very happy man! Amazon delivered the cable a day early and I swapped it in to test (after previously removing the couplers and having that test fail). It's now working in 4K from multiple sources and the PS3 has no issues at all!

If you had a paypal/similar to donate beer money I'd be happy to toss one your way.
Just pay it forward. It is how this community thrives.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Can't argue with those choices but English beer is really best out of the cask, which I suppose you can't get.

Don't know if you are familiar with Cask Conditioned Real Ale ( as opposed to keg beer)
Basically keg finishes it's fermentation at the brewery and is cleared , pasteurized and then put in the keg. At the point of sale it is chilled and Carbon Dioxide or Nitrogen is forced in to give it the fizz.

Cask ale finishes a primary fermentation at the brewery and then is put in the cask with some secondary sugars and finings (clearing agent) .When it reaches the pub it goes into the cellar to finish the secondary fermentation and to clear. It is this secondary fermentation , and the way it is served by passing through a special nozzle at the pump as it is dispensed, that gives the beer it's life. It is not fizzy like keg and is served at cellar temperature. It has a totally different taste and character to keg and although I will drink keg lager I avoid keg ale (Guiness being the exception).:p

Once the barrel is tapped into it lasts about five days and there is often some wastage. It is also a bit of an art, getting the best out of a cask, but it is worth the effort.:D

So, in case you didn't already know, there is a little bit of info on our peculiar English drinking habits.
I visit the UK a lot (5-6 times a year) and Cask Conditioned Real Ale is a real favorite with me. Whenever I am in a new town, I check the CAMRA listings and try to find a pub close by that sells CCRA. Fabulous stuff. The only problem is that sometimes my American friends who accompany me on the trips complain about having to drink "warm" beer. I tell them that the beer is not warm, it is just at "cellar temperature"!:)

From one beer lover to another, "cheers"!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I visit the UK a lot (5-6 times a year) and Cask Conditioned Real Ale is a real favorite with me. Whenever I am in a new town, I check the CAMRA listings and try to find a pub close by that sells CCRA. Fabulous stuff. The only problem is that sometimes my American friends who accompany me on the trips complain about having to drink "warm" beer. I tell them that the beer is not warm, it is just at "cellar temperature"!:)

From one beer lover to another, "cheers"!
Hi Cal,
My local has a cellar that just dips a degree or two below optimum in winter and some of the locals complain that the beer is too cold.They say it detracts from the taste although it doesn't worry me.
Good Drinking !

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
hi cal,
my local has a cellar that just dips a degree or two below optimum in winter and some of the locals complain that the beer is too cold.they say it detracts from the taste although it doesn't worry me.
Good drinking !
lol!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
It looks like NVidea shield will be the 1st. Awesome feature set including built in Plex server!

http://www.pcmag.com/news/345773/nvidia-shield-adds-4k-hdr-streaming-options

I sure hope Roku has a new 4k streamer on the way because the Roku 4 is a big disappointment.

Sorry for the diversion, but what disappointed you about the Roku 4?

I just got my main system (JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010 the main items), and am considering getting the Roku 4, to hold me out a while before getting a UHD BD player, to hopefully have more choices and options, and lower cost.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,506

I just got my main system (JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010 the main items), and am considering getting the Roku 4, to hold me out a while before getting a UHD BD player, to hopefully have more choices and options, and lower cost.
Hi Don,

Keep on eye on the new Xbox One S. For $299, it's currently the lowest cost UHD player with HDR support. When comparing to the Samsung and the new Panasonic UHD players, the Xbox One S is competitive - even if you're not a gamer. Think of the Xbox One S as a free gaming machine thrown in with a UHD player.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Hi Don,

Keep on eye on the new Xbox One S. For $299, it's currently the lowest cost UHD player with HDR support. When comparing to the Samsung and the new Panasonic UHD players, the Xbox One S is competitive - even if you're not a gamer. Think of the Xbox One S as a free gaming machine thrown in with a UHD player.
Indeed. I've been watching this as well. One potential deal-killer is whether or not it will output bit-stream, which would be required for Atmos and similar audio capability. From what others have stated, the current versions are PCM only, which don't support those audio streams. It isn't yet known what the One S will support.

ETA: the other issue is that the cheaper, lower capacity version of the One S may not come out until the end of the year; that's a long time to wait for any 4K capability!

And by the way, thanks for all the help you personally gave me as I was making decisions and putting together my system. I'm about 95% complete, and will be posting some shots within the next week or so. It all finally came together, and looks/sounds great!

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
No Dolby Vision or HDR10 support, Audible cooling fan, and numerous software bugs. Do some research before you invest in one.

I am a big Roku 3 fan. I hope the next gen Roku 4 arrives soon.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
No Dolby Vision or HDR10 support, Audible cooling fan, and numerous software bugs. Do some research before you invest in one.

I am a big Roku 3 fan. I hope the next gen Roku 4 arrives soon.

Gotcha. Thanks.

The lack of Dolby Vision is not surprising, and I don't think that would keep me away. I was aware of it not having HDR10 either, and that is disappointing.

Will check further into the other issues you mention. I see it as a 'stop-gap' step, if I do go with it, to see what other UHD BD options become available over the next 6 months or so.

Wonder how long before the next gen Roku...

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Netflix 4K via Roku 4 to JVC Projector?

So I picked up a Roku 4 to try out with my SR7010 and JVC RS400. All devices are seeing 4K, the Roku 4 is set to 4K/UHD as the display mode. Tried out a 4K YouTube video, and a Vudu movie preview in 4K, and everything seems to be working fine.

Tried House of Cards in Netflix, and it won't budge above 1080. I am speaking with Netflix about this, and they are saying that they don't support a Projector, only 4K TV's. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, so I wanted to check in here.

Can somebody confirm that they are able to view Netflix 4K content via a Roku 4, using one of the 4K compatible Marantz receiver, and hopefully one of the JVC RS400/RS500/RS600 Projectors?

My download speed is a fairly steady 50mbps, I'm connected to the Roku 4 via ethernet, and as I said, the other channels I've tried so far seem to work fine in 4K. It's only Netflix that seems to be topping out at 1080. And in my Netflix Playback Settings, I do have "Fastest" selected, as they advised. I did add the 4K capability to my account for the extra expense, and it shows the 4K available. It's just not delivering it.

Anybody successfully viewing 4K Netflix via Roku 4 to a JVC Projector?

Thanks.

ETA: Never mind. I was watching the first season and they said it wasn't 4K. Tried Season 4, and it went to 2160, so it's all good.

Just wasted a good hour of my time on the phone with them!

·
Registered
15,215 Posts

Hi Don,

Actually, you can scratch the Xbox S off the list. It does not bitstream audio. Confirmed.

No bitstream, no Atmos or DTS: X.

FYI.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,512
Indeed. I've been watching this as well. One potential deal-killer is whether or not it will output bit-stream, which would be required for Atmos and similar audio capability. From what others have stated, the current versions are PCM only, which don't support those audio streams. It isn't yet known what the One S will support.
Yeah, if the Xbox One S doesn't support bit-stream of audio, it would be a deal breaker for me also. Going to wait and see what the reviewers say about this.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Actually, you can scratch the Xbox S off the list. It does not bitstream audio. Confirmed.

No bitstream, no Atmos or DTS: X.

FYI.
Well that's a bummer. Where did you see it confirmed?

As per above, I picked up a Roku 4, and if it proves satisfactory, without significant bugs or glitches, I'll just hold on to it for the time being, and see what else develops on the UHD BD front.

I'm also not thrilled on having to purchase UHD BD's to watch, and am hoping more cost effective rental options will become available as well. Redbox would be nice, although given this stage of development, probably not likely. I am aware of the 3D Bluray Rental option, but it is a bit pricey relative to purchase price at this point.

I am so thrilled by even conventional Bluray on my new system that I think I can be content for a while to wait it out.

·
Registered
15,215 Posts
Well that's a bummer. Where did you see it confirmed?

As per above, I picked up a Roku 4, and if it proves satisfactory, without significant bugs or glitches, I'll just hold on to it for the time being, and see what else develops on the UHD BD front.

I'm also not thrilled on having to purchase UHD BD's to watch, and am hoping more cost effective rental options will become available as well. Redbox would be nice, although given this stage of development, probably not likely. I am aware of the 3D Bluray Rental option, but it is a bit pricey relative to purchase price at this point.

I am so thrilled by even conventional Bluray on my new system that I think I can be content for a while to wait it out.
Somebody in the electronic press had the tenacity to ask one of the Xbox designers that question. They confirmed it still converts all audio streams to PCM before being spit out via HDMI. It has something to do with a couple software features in the Xbox that keep it from bitstreaming.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Somebody in the electronic press had the tenacity to ask one of the Xbox designers that question. They confirmed it still converts all audio streams to PCM before being spit out via HDMI. It has something to do with a couple software features in the Xbox that keep it from bitstreaming.
I think they say it has to do with the way content is mixed when you use the "snap" feature that puts apps/games into a side panel.

Reactions: Dan Hitchman

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Anyone here who at first thought the Audyssey flat response was lifeless and after listening more to it the sound became super lifelike? I'm talking about the Audyssey XT32 feature on the 6010.

I now use it with movies AND music.the subwoofer is integrated very well and it delivers a tremendous sound quality.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Anyone here who at first thought the Audyssey flat response was lifeless and after listening more to it the sound became super lifelike? I'm talking about the Audyssey XT32 feature on the 6010.

I now use it with movies AND music.the subwoofer is integrated very well and it delivers a tremendous sound quality.
Flat doesn't roll off the highs like the reference curve, i've just been doing some a/b testing of the 2 on my 7702mk2 and flat sounds a lot better. My room has a lot of absorbtion so doesn't need the hf rolloff.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Flat doesn't roll off the highs like the reference curve, i've just been doing some a/b testing of the 2 on my 7702mk2 and flat sounds a lot better. My room has a lot of absorbtion so doesn't need the hf rolloff.
Same here. Had Movies on Reference and Music Flat for some reason, I guess because the menu suggested it.

Definitely liking Flat better!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Me too! I am so hooked on the Audyssey XT32 right now. I was coming from an Onkyo 609. So this finally feels like a serious toy.

I've noticed that Audyssey turned the gain of my sub to -6.0db with the gain on the sub to 9 not half open but a quarter. Is it normal? At first I thought I was missing the lower end but now it feels more balanced and not like a teenager in a car at a traffic light. I think the sound is awesome for music in 5.1 (Dolby surround up mixing) as well for movies.

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
Me too! I am so hooked on the Audyssey XT32 right now. I was coming from an Onkyo 609. So this finally feels like a serious toy.

I've noticed that Audyssey turned the gain of my sub to -6.0db with the gain on the sub to 9 not half open but a quarter. Is it normal? At first I thought I was missing the lower end but now it feels more balanced and not like a teenager in a car at a traffic light. I think the sound is awesome for music in 5.1 (Dolby surround up mixing) as well for movies.
For some subs yes as they are generally very efficient. In some cases, the sub must be turned down to only 7 o'clock. :eek:

5501 - 5520 of 12599 Posts