AVS Forum banner

7801 - 7820 of 12599 Posts

·
Registered
30,562 Posts
I think the issue is with the KEFs. Nice compact miniHT speakers but not really what one would choose for music. (I use small KEFs, too, with my NR1606.) Consider getting a pair of nice real bookshelf speakers.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
JBL 530's or EMPTEK/RBH R5b's. The latter can be had for $225 a pair shipped if you're looking for musical bookshelves.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
(If you haven't already) I'd recommend investing in a boom mic stand and a camera adapter mount to hold the Audyssey mic. It makes taking multiple measurements so much easier and you can just fold it up when done and keep it in a corner.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000978D58/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001GWCC4I/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Spent an hour looking for this post. Ugh. For ~$30 it well built and overkill even for just audyssey calibrations. Still worth it though. Helluva lot better than some $15 telescopic tripod I bought about 10 years ago. It is so easy to adjust it also worth it taking up about 4-5 times more space than my other mic stand. Got an 8 position cal in very quickly because it's so easy to adjust and manuever, eyeballing it even. Only did one calibration and it is by far a great calibration. Don't think I will have everything to redo another cal. I've already micro managed speaker placement and acoustic panels and my soundstage is freaking awesome. I am only about 30 minutes into Prometheus and I think I can say the transition from an Onkyo 3009 AVR to a Marantz 7702mkii pre pro isn't a sidestep for HT. It is now an obvious upgrade. Appreciate the link for this very high quality and great value mic stand. And to anybody else that cares your mic stand can make a difference in calibrations, and that doesn't include the ease of use and adjustment. Thanks madmax67. Wish you linked the mic stand a out 5 years ago. Lol.

On a side note here is a copy/paste question I asked and nobody addressed a couple of weeks ago.

'is the networking features of marantz (specifically 7702mkii in my case) really that bad? I run Plex and media monkey servers on my laptop with a netgear R6400 in between. Running Ethernet or wifi is lousy at picking up my servers. My onkyo 3009 rarely failed at this. Sometimes restarting media monkey or Plex helps but often have to still wait around 10 minutes before it recognizes it. Any suggestions?'

Also does using the web interface help things be more consistent? Is it complicated to backup calibrations and whatever else you can do or will I be using the web interface more often? Having to wait for my servers to show up is really inconvenient.

·
Registered
919 Posts
is the networking features of marantz (specifically 7702mkii in my case) really that bad? I run Plex and media monkey servers on my laptop with a netgear R6400 in between. Running Ethernet or wifi is lousy at picking up my servers. My onkyo 3009 rarely failed at this. Sometimes restarting media monkey or Plex helps but often have to still wait around 10 minutes before it recognizes it. Any suggestions?'

I use A NAS to store music on,and when I play through the 7702mk2 it is recognized right away,I just go to Pandora on the 7702mk2 and from that app my NAS Server is instantly recognized. This is with a Hard Wired Connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
Had a strange issue with my AV7702mkii this evening.

It's hooked up to a Parasound Halo A51 amplifier and is using the 12V trigger to power the amp on. I'm using Balanced Blue Jeans XLR cables.

I selected an imput (Cable Box) to power up the system. Everything powered up except the amp. It's power button was faintly glowing red which the manual states that the Over-current protection circuitry has been activated. The Parasound manual says "Check speaker load impedance. Check speaker wires and connections."

Nothing has been moved or changed in the system and I can easily access all the connections. Everything seemed normal with no shorting going on or speaker cables touching each other.

1st, I tried to unplug the 7702MKii for 10 minutes and try again. Same issue. The amp would not power on and the power button glowed a faint red.

2nd, I unplugged the amp and the 7702mkii and changed the amp to power on manually via the power button. Same problem.

3rd, I unplugged power from the amp and 7702mkii again and disconnected all the XLR cables from the amp, plugged the amp back in and tried powering the amp back on with the amps front power button. Success!

4th, I flipped the switch on the amp to set it back to being powered on via 12 volt trigger and tried powering it on by selecting an input on the processor. Success again!

5th, I unplugged power from the amp and processor, reconnected the XLR cables back into the amp, plugged the amp and processor back into power, and tried powering up by selecting an input on the processor. Yeah! Success Again!

6th, I powered everything off by turning the processor off. Then I tried powering it back on again by selecting an input on the processor. FAIL! Same faintly glowing red power button on the amp.

7th, I unplugged power from everything in my system and made sure that all the XLR cables were securely seated into their sockets on both the processor and the amp. Then I plugged power back into everything and tried powering on via an input on the processor. Success once again!

I tried several times to power the system on and off as outlined previously and it's worked everytime.

So I suspect the issue is with the AV7702mkii as I didn't make any changes or adjustments to the speaker cables. Plus the problem seemed to disappear as soon as I took the processor out of the picture with all the speakers still connected to the amp.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this on your processor? If it happens again, my next step will be to do factory reset and reload my configuration file.

I'm hoping this is the last I see of this gremlin but I'm a bit skeptical. I've only had the processor for 6 months so there's plenty of warranty left on it.

Any ideas other than what I've outlined? I highly doubt that the cables are at fault as they're brand new and have been working just fine until now. But, of course, anything is possible.

Thanks,

Mitch

·
Registered
595 Posts
Question on HDMI Control

I have the SR7010 connected to a projector (in another room) and I would like the projector to be turned on when the Marantz is powered on. I assume I can enable HDMI control and use Monitor 1 output, but I see ARC gets engaged and cannot be turned off. Obviously I don't need ARC with a projector, any issues with turning on HDMI control?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
is the networking features of marantz (specifically 7702mkii in my case) really that bad? I run Plex and media monkey servers on my laptop with a netgear R6400 in between. Running Ethernet or wifi is lousy at picking up my servers. My onkyo 3009 rarely failed at this. Sometimes restarting media monkey or Plex helps but often have to still wait around 10 minutes before it recognizes it. Any suggestions?'

I use A NAS to store music on,and when I play through the 7702mk2 it is recognized right away,I just go to Pandora on the 7702mk2 and from that app my NAS Server is instantly recognized. This is with a Hard Wired Connection.

Ethernet directly into 7702 or of the LAN? My marantz has Ethernet going into it but laptop I use wifi to hookup to network. Same situation with my older o kho 3009 but it worked 99% of the time. I haven't tried ethernet directly into router but even if that works more consistently that is not the route I want to go. I've skimmed through a few threads and noticed quite a few networking issues that are similar in behavior. Seeing g if anybody has any suggestions. I used to use Linksys/Cisco until I had a cheap Cisco router die on me after about 4 years. No big deal as it was only $50. I went with a much higher end Cisco router and it died after about 15 months. There weren't a lot of sudden death issues with my particular but nonetheless there were a few and other routers had it worse. Some other models died during warranty and if Cisco obliged you, you usually got a refurbished router that died quickly too. The models after mine were becoming much worse in quality all the way from low to top tier. And not going to spend money on an enterprise router. I know Netgear is a good brand with horrible customer service. haven't had any issues with my network until marantz entered the picture. I think k I am on latest firmware. Even if there is answer firmware I usually wait a few months on AVRs/pre pros to see what happens. Sometimes issues get worse or even brick the unit. I guess I could try the network reset procedure but do the have much hope. Think this will be recurring as D&M does t have their networking sheet together.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,808
Hi everyone, I need a piece of advice regarding connections on the Marantz NR1606 slimline receiver.

I have the NR1606 connected to my KEF E305 surround system. While the cinema experience is great, I find the combination underwhelming for stereo music performance due to limitations of the receiver. In order to enhance the stereo experience, I am thinking of adding an external DAC (perhaps Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus or Musical Fidelity V90).

So the connection is supposed to be: Samsung K8500 blu ray player acting as a CD transport -> coaxial cable -> DAC -> stereo RCA cable -> NR1606 analog inputs. In order to bypass the receiver's own DAC, it should be set to DIRECT or PURE DIRECT mode. Is that right? Would I benefit fully from the external DAC that way, or would there be additional processing in the receiver regardless of the mode?...
The PURE DIRECT mode will work as you've mentioned in the signal chain with the NR1606 acting as a volume control on the amp section.

...Another option would be to add an integrated amplifier/DAC into the combination. I am thinking NAD D 3020. So this little integrated amp would act as a power amp and DAC at the same time in order to power the FL and FR speakers only (+ the sub).

Which option is better? If I choose the NAD option, what is the best way to use the NAD for powering the front speakers but avoid disconnecting and reconnecting the speaker cables between the Marantz and the NAD? Is there a switch of some sort? And finally, is it possible to power only the FL and FR via the NAD integrated amp, and use the NAD with multichannel sources as well (the rest of the speakers would be powered by the Marantz).

So confused...

The pre-outs on the NR1606 are always hot for the front left + front right speakers. These can be connected to the integrated NAD D3020 as the external 2-channel amp to drive the front left and front right speakers.

If you think the NAD D3020 has the better DAC and amp sections to power the KEF E301 satellites for listening to stereo source via the Samsung transport, you'll need to remember to reset the settings and level out the NAD D3020 where you carried out the Audyssey auto-calibration, when using the NR1606 back into the chain for movies.

An alternative configuration is to have speaker selector switch box in-between the NR1606 and NAD D3020 so that only one amplifier is ON at any one time to power the KEF E301 satellites.

Reactions: **Amused**

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,809
I've noticed that the SR7010 introduces banding when given a 4:2:2 10-bit signal from my Oppo 4K Blu Ray player. When I make the Oppo output in 4:4:4 12-bit, the banding goes away. If I connect the Oppo directly to the TV and output in 4:2:2 10-bit, it also goes away, which is how I determined it was the SR7010 introducing this effect.

On the SR7010 I have Video Conversion=OFF and have disabled the Scaler. When I have the Marantz bring up its Information page, the color space is BT.2020 as expected, and the only difference is that the pixel depth is shown as "--:--" when it is getting a 4:2:2 10-bit signal, and "12 bit" it is getting a 4:4:4 12-bit signal.

I've attached pictures showing the banding vs not. It's very noticeable on sky scenes, but is otherwise not noticeable during movies.

Are there any other settings apart from the above two that I need to change to get the SR7010 to just pass through the signal and not mess with it?
It looks like the 4:2:2 10-bit signal is being downgraded to an 8-bit signal where the banding is obvious. If you've got the blu-ray version of the movie and play it back, does it have the same effect?

Think this is a bug in the video chip and needs to be reported to Marantz so their engineers can get an firmware up-date. All part of the problems associated with new UHD format.

Reactions: TrueDis

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,810

Ethernet directly into 7702 or of the LAN? My marantz has Ethernet going into it but laptop I use wifi to hookup to network. Same situation with my older o kho 3009 but it worked 99% of the time. I haven't tried ethernet directly into router but even if that works more consistently that is not the route I want to go. I've skimmed through a few threads and noticed quite a few networking issues that are similar in behavior. Seeing g if anybody has any suggestions. I used to use Linksys/Cisco until I had a cheap Cisco router die on me after about 4 years. No big deal as it was only $50. I went with a much higher end Cisco router and it died after about 15 months. There weren't a lot of sudden death issues with my particular but nonetheless there were a few and other routers had it worse. Some other models died during warranty and if Cisco obliged you, you usually got a refurbished router that died quickly too. The models after mine were becoming much worse in quality all the way from low to top tier. And not going to spend money on an enterprise router. I know Netgear is a good brand with horrible customer service. haven't had any issues with my network until marantz entered the picture. I think k I am on latest firmware. Even if there is answer firmware I usually wait a few months on AVRs/pre pros to see what happens. Sometimes issues get worse or even brick the unit. I guess I could try the network reset procedure but do the have much hope. Think this will be recurring as D&M does t have their networking sheet together.
When experiencing network related issues, the first thing to do is a soft reset of the unit by simply unplugging the device for 10 minutes. I have found this to be quite reliable way of restoring my Marantz unit to the home wifi system.

If no joy, the discrete network chip reset should then be attempted as outlined in the first page of this thread.

The above procedures will retain user settings.

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
I have the SR7010 connected to a projector (in another room) and I would like the projector to be turned on when the Marantz is powered on. I assume I can enable HDMI control and use Monitor 1 output, but I see ARC gets engaged and cannot be turned off. Obviously I don't need ARC with a projector, any issues with turning on HDMI control?
You can set the HDMI Audio Switching = OFF (p. 225 Owner's manual).

·
Registered
177 Posts
The PURE DIRECT mode will work as you've mentioned in the signal chain with the NR1606 acting as a volume control on the amp section.

The pre-outs on the NR1606 are always hot for the front left + front right speakers. These can be connected to the integrated NAD D3020 as the external 2-channel amp to drive the front left and front right speakers.

If you think the NAD D3020 has the better DAC and amp sections to power the KEF E301 satellites for listening to stereo source via the Samsung transport, you'll need to remember to reset the settings and level out the NAD D3020 where you carried out the Audyssey auto-calibration, when using the NR1606 back into the chain for movies.

An alternative configuration is to have speaker selector switch box in-between the NR1606 and NAD D3020 so that only one amplifier is ON at any one time to power the KEF E301 satellites.

Thank you very much once again.

Could you recommend a good selector switch for this option?

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
IIz and IIx were OK if you had good content for it to matrix and properly setup speakers. Haven't had that luxury for a few years, proper surround. Neural:X is quite good though. X and neural are two different codecs right? X matrixes the sound and X is format all it's own right?
Is DolbySurround as adjustable as PLIIx, i really liked it alot, i also have a setup as dolby suggests......

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Is DolbySurround as adjustable as PLIIx, i really liked it alot, i also have a setup as dolby suggests......
No, Dolby Surround is not as adjustable as DPLIIx.

For some people that's a problem, but for others it's not.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
I guess i can use the multich input from a PLIIx source..... Has anyone moved to another format and liked it as much
I'm not sure what you mean by "a PLIIx source". Dolby ProLogic IIx is an upmixer applied by an A/V processor. It's not a type of soundtrack encoding. It expands an incoming 2.0 or 5.1 soundtrack to occupy 7.1 speakers. The old Dolby Surround matrix encoding technology is the one which was used to provide surround sound in a 2.0 soundtrack. (You'll see Dolby Surround mentioned in the end credits of some older stereo movies.) The various flavors of ProLogic and the new "immersive" Dolby Surround upmixer are able to decode Dolby Surround soundtracks appropriately.

Which of the various upmixers one uses is strictly a personal choice. Some people prefer Dolby Surround and some prefer DTS Neural:X. Neural:X tends to make more (louder) use of overhead speakers than Dolby Surround does. Some people like to switch back and forth between the two, and some models of receivers don't give you a choice. With them, Dolby Surround can only be applied to Dolby soundtracks while Neural:X can only be applied to DTS soundtracks.

Reactions: dmb12679

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "a PLIIx source". Dolby ProLogic IIx is an upmixer applied by an A/V processor. It's not a type of soundtrack encoding. It expands an incoming 2.0 or 5.1 soundtrack to occupy 7.1 speakers. The old Dolby Surround matrix encoding technology is the one which was used to provide surround sound in a 2.0 soundtrack. (You'll see Dolby Surround mentioned in the end credits of some older stereo movies.) The various flavors of ProLogic and the new "immersive" Dolby Surround upmixer are able to decode Dolby Surround soundtracks appropriately.

Which of the various upmixers one uses is strictly a personal choice. Some people prefer Dolby Surround and some prefer DTS Neural:X. Neural:X tends to make more (louder) use of overhead speakers than Dolby Surround does. Some people like to switch back and forth between the two, and some models of receivers don't give you a choice. With them, Dolby Surround can only be applied to Dolby soundtracks while Neural:X can only be applied to DTS soundtracks.
I guess i'll try the Marantz whenever it gets here. I had a Lexicon CP3 (1990ish)that took stereo sources and allowed variable adjustments in their proprietary music surround mode, i'll wait til i hear for myself i guess

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Just a quick dumb question, I just bought 2 speakers for Atmos when connecting to my AV7702mkII do I use "Front Wide" or "Height 1"?

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
Just a quick dumb question, I just bought 2 speakers for Atmos when connecting to my AV7702mkII do I use "Front Wide" or "Height 1"?
The amp for the first (or forward) set of height speakers is connected to the Height 1 (XLR or RCA) pre-outs while the amp for the second set is connected to the Front Wide/Height 2 (XLR) or Height 2 (RCA) pre-outs.

7801 - 7820 of 12599 Posts