AVS Forum banner

2101 - 2120 of 5293 Posts

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a couple questions. I have the SR6011 and just purchased a Martin Logan speaker setup. I'm going to use the motion 40's for front L&R a motion 30 for my center and the 15's for rears.
My question is how do I setup my AVR to Bi Amp the front L&R speakers?
I found a diagram to show how to hook them up but I have no clue on how to go into the menus and set them up. So I need some step by step help on this.

Next ? Is how Do I turn off the upscaling in the AVR so I can let my TV do the work?

Thanks in advance.
1. First understand that using the bi-amp feature on the AVR is a waste of your time ... providing no benefit either in additional power or audio quality. However, to proceed anyway, set the AMP ASSIGN = 7.1 + Bi-amp and wire the speakers as shown on p. 57 in your Owner's manual.

2. The default setting for the i/p Scaler = Analog, so for HDMI sources, the i/p Scaler is doing nothing, however, you can also manually set it to OFF (p. 194 Owner's manual).

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a couple questions. I have the SR6011 and just purchased a Martin Logan speaker setup. I'm going to use the motion 40's for front L&R a motion 30 for my center and the 15's for rears.
My question is how do I setup my AVR to Bi Amp the front L&R speakers?
I found a diagram to show how to hook them up but I have no clue on how to go into the menus and set them up. So I need some step by step help on this.

Next ? Is how Do I turn off the upscaling in the AVR so I can let my TV do the work?

Thanks in advance.
I have owned multiple Martin Logan loudspeakers (Odyssey, Sequel II, Logos, etc, in my long time passion of audio and video. You will not gain anything sonically bi amping the speakers. Press the setup button in the remote and scroll down to setting labeled "video". You have the option then of turning it on and off.

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
That would be the SR6012 in August and the SR7012 in September ... same release months as last year's models.
So are you aware of any changes? Looks like minor upgrade from the 11's. Might just grab the 7011 if so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marantz sr5011 zone 2

Hi

I have a marantz sr5011 and would like to use zone 2 to output to a headphone amp. Does zone 2 provide the same amount of audio customization as the main zone ?
Is there any other or better ways to run audio from the receiver to a headphone amp?

Thank you,
Garrett

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have owned multiple Martin Logan loudspeakers (Odyssey, Sequel II, Logos, etc, in my long time passion of audio and video. You will not gain anything sonically bi amping the speakers. Press the setup button in the remote and scroll down to setting labeled "video". You have the option then of turning it on and off.

Thanks guys for the info. If bi amping the fronts has no benefit, why are the guys at the Best Buy magnolia dept keep advising to do it? I had a third guy today Suggest to me to bi amp them as well when I was there picking up the speakers.

·
Banned
142 Posts
Why

Thanks guys for the info. If bi a ping the fronts has no benefit, why are the guys at the Best Buy magnolia dept keep advising to do it? I had a third guy today Suggest to me to bi amp them as well when I was there picking up the speakers.

Would you ever listen to technical advise from the guys at Magnolia dept at Best Buy????

Dave

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
Thanks guys for the info. If bi amping the fronts has no benefit, why are the guys at the Best Buy magnolia dept keep advising to do it? I had a third guy today Suggest to me to bi amp them as well when I was there picking up the speakers.
True "active" bi-amping requires using dedicated external amps as well as active crossovers. The "passive" bi-amping capability of an AVR does nothing.

·
Premium Member
87,969 Posts
Hi

I have a marantz sr5011 and would like to use zone 2 to output to a headphone amp. Does zone 2 provide the same amount of audio customization as the main zone ?
Is there any other or better ways to run audio from the receiver to a headphone amp?

Thank you,
Garrett
1. Nope. Analog and network audio only.
2. Yup. The FL/FR pre-outs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Specs won't be released until a month before each is model is actually released.
The mind games begin LOL. Do I buy or wait in case the newer model is a big upgrade :D

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Thanks guys for the info. If bi amping the fronts has no benefit, why are the guys at the Best Buy magnolia dept keep advising to do it?
Mostly because there's more money in it for them. Speakers designed for bi-amp or bi-wire connections cost more and have a larger profit margin, as do speaker cables designed for bi-amping. At the very least, you have to buy more speaker cables.

Long ago bi-amping made sense when the only amplifiers were tube amps with a limited power-bandwidth product, but it's completely irrelevant for modern solid state amps.
I had a third guy today Suggest to me to bi amp them as well when I was there picking up the speakers.
Doubtless there are some people who have heard the myth and just pass it on without knowing that's all it is.

Reactions: Sharp1080

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Mostly because there's more money in it for them. Speakers designed for bi-amp or bi-wire connections cost more and have a larger profit margin, as do speaker cables designed for bi-amping. At the very least, you have to buy more speaker cables.

Long ago bi-amping made sense when the only amplifiers were tube amps with a limited power-bandwidth product, but it's completely irrelevant for modern solid state amps.

Doubtless there are some people who have heard the myth and just pass it on without knowing that's all it is.
Plus the fact it was a pain to do it correctly in the days when it counted. You needed the proper external crossover as the speakers didn't have them readily available. That and trying to mate a tube amp for the top end and a solid state amp for the low end!

2101 - 2120 of 5293 Posts