AVS Forum banner

2121 - 2140 of 5293 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm dissapointed that the Pro Logic II Music mode was removed. I don't really like what the Dolby mixer does to 2 channel music - it's far too centre focused even with centre spread on. I also don't seem to notice much difference from Movie and Music modes.

As a work around I'm going to use my Yamaha RXV2700 as a 2 channel processor and use the Dolby/DTS Music modes on it. It's already in use to power the fronts but I'm going to connect the preouts from the Yamaha to the 7.1 channel input on the Marantz. It'll be like an old school audio processor but with a Chromecast in the HDMI input. I'll loose the SubEQ off the Marantz for music which is the only down side I can see.

Anyone else tried anything like this?

I wish Marantz would just give you the option of paying for surround modes like with Auro 3D. I'd love to get those back!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I'm dissapointed that the Pro Logic II Music mode was removed. I don't really like what the Dolby mixer does to 2 channel music - it's far too centre focused even with centre spread on. I also don't seem to notice much difference from Movie and Music modes.

As a work around I'm going to use my Yamaha RXV2700 as a 2 channel processor and use the Dolby/DTS Music modes on it. It's already in use to power the fronts but I'm going to connect the preouts from the Yamaha to the 7.1 channel input on the Marantz. It'll be like an old school audio processor but with a Chromecast in the HDMI input. I'll loose the SubEQ off the Marantz for music which is the only down side I can see.

Anyone else tried anything like this?

I wish Marantz would just give you the option of paying for surround modes like with Auro 3D. I'd love to get those back!

I would say, buy Auro, and you will get the best Stereo input and Surround output, special for Music ever :)
A great balance between center and fronts, and adjustable the way you like.
And if you would get VOG, your Movies will make a step up also......

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is there a trial available?

Edit - just did the research, it's a no go for me because I'm using a 5.1.4 setup for Atmos. I know I like Pro Logic II anyway so I get best of both worlds this way with only RCA cabling costs

·
Premium Member
87,962 Posts

Edit - just did the research, it's a no go for me because I'm using a 5.1.4 setup for Atmos. I know I like Pro Logic II anyway so I get best of both worlds this way with only RCA cabling costs
Why is it a no go? You can save a configuration of Top Front/Top Rear for Atmos and a configuration of Front Height/Rear Height for DTS:X and Auro 3D. :)

·
Registered
3,425 Posts

Sorry, no trial, and you need to buy Auro first to get the various speaker setups for Auro.
You can use front and rear height for all 3 audio modes.
Auro "wants" surround height, but no real need to do that, rear height works fine in Auro, just as in Atmos and DTSX.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Maybe a dumb question: I have a SR6011. When using the TV apps and playing sound through the receiver via the HDMI ARC, how can I tell the details of the audio source (Format, Channels, Surround Mode, etc)? -- There is no on-screen display since the TV app is the selected source, and the little round display on the front of the unit only says "TV Audio" and the volume level...

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
No, I mean saving the configurations using either the new SAVE & LOAD feature or the MultEQ Editor App.
Isn't Smart Select not saving speaker and setting setups ?
Say i want for music to use Auro 2D, and for Movie Auro 3D, and both with different Auro-Matic settings, is this the way to do this through Smart Select ?
(i am still haunted by the Auro setting bug in the 7011 :mad:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Smart select doesn't save all speaker settings. For example, subwoofer boost.

Re: viewing output on ARC/TV audio - just use the app. A tablet version is better.

·
Premium Member
87,962 Posts
Isn't Smart Select not saving speaker and setting setups ?
Say i want for music to use Auro 2D, and for Movie Auro 3D, and both with different Auro-Matic settings, is this the way to do this through Smart Select ?
(i am still haunted by the Auro setting bug in the 7011 :mad:)
No. Only one Audyssey EQ configuration can be saved on the AVR.

·
Premium Member
87,962 Posts
Maybe a dumb question: I have a SR6011. When using the TV apps and playing sound through the receiver via the HDMI ARC, how can I tell the details of the audio source (Format, Channels, Surround Mode, etc)? -- There is no on-screen display since the TV app is the selected source, and the little round display on the front of the unit only says "TV Audio" and the volume level...

Thanks for any advice!
Try instead using an optical cable from the TV --> AVR.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
No. Only one Audyssey EQ configuration can be saved on the AVR.
Hi JD, i do not want to save any EQ configs !
I just want to save to

select 1: Auro Matic setting MEDIUM and Strength 8
select2: Auro Matic setting BIG and Strength 14

Will this be possible, before i start to try and do this ?

Thanks......

·
Banned
142 Posts
Updates

Purchased SR-5011 the other day and my dealer will have it on Thurs or Fri. I have a question regarding updates. Will my unit have all the updates, none or some???

Unit should be one of the last 5011s produced.

TIA

Dave

·
Premium Member
87,962 Posts
Purchased SR-5011 the other day and my dealer will have it on Thurs or Fri. I have a question regarding updates. Will my unit have all the updates, none or some???

Unit should be one of the last 5011s produced.

TIA

Dave
You'll know when you power on the AVR when it's connected to the internet. If it says a firmware is available .. there is your answer. ;)

·
Banned
142 Posts
One Problem

You'll know when you power on the AVR when it's connected to the internet. If it says a firmware is available .. there is your answer. ;)

Because I telework I don't use wi-fi. Also my router is upstairs in my office and my HT set up is down in the basement so connecting to the internet is going to be royal PITA.

Thanks for the help.

Dave

·
Premium Member
87,962 Posts
Because I telework I don't use wi-fi. Also my router is upstairs in my office and my HT set up is down in the basement so connecting to the internet is going to be royal PITA.

Thanks for the help.

Dave
I telework and use wifi so not sure what that has to do with it; regardless, you can purchase a 100' Cat 6 cable for < $20.

2121 - 2140 of 5293 Posts