AVS Forum banner

5441 - 5454 of 5454 Posts

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts
Hi!

I've owned the SR7011 for 3-4 years without issue but have started seeing some erratic behavior recently with one of them starting last night causing me to post this.

1)
Starting last night, when I turn on the receiver, there is a loud pop/feedback from what seems to be all my 7 connected speakers, and there is a heavily visible voltage drop on the ceiling light that's on the same circuit as the receiver. Prior to this issue starting, there was the standard receiver turn on click, and a faint flicker of the ceiling light (if switched on) that I came to expect as normal.

2)
When I turn the volume knob physically on the unit, no matter what direction I turn it, the volume changes in random directions. I read about this being somewhat standard wear-and-tear of the volume knob that can be fixed by a dusting so I haven't given it much attention. Just use the remote anyway.

3)
In my receiver setup, only one of the 'HDMI OUT' ports is in use - and it goes to a Sony TV (XBR75X900F). As an input, I have the Nvidia Shield Pro as my main streaming device.
Separately, I have a Sony Bluray Player (X700) with two HDMI out ports; the primary port goes directly to a Sony projector (VW715ES), and the secondary hdmi (audio) port goes to the receiver. Now, when I view content on my projector, the audio is routed through the receiver, but remember no video is being processed/passed through there. The problem is that I get frequent audio cutouts when watching movies. After a lot of trial and error, if found that if I disconnect my (powered off) TV from the receiver while I view the projector, the cutouts go away and everything works fine. I can't really figure out how to fix this. All sort of HDMI cec/control settings are turned off on all devices.

I was getting by with issues (2) and (3), but with (1) that started last night, I'm now thinking I need to get this looked at. Any advice?
Try connecting the AVR to a different circuit as a test (using an extension cord if necessary).

Refer to post #6 and do a "Restart" and if no joy, then do a microprocessor reset.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions, jdssmoothie.
I did a "restart" and then a microprocessor reset, no difference. I don't have a long enough extension cord to try a different circuit, so I will procure that and report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try connecting the AVR to a different circuit as a test (using an extension cord if necessary).

Refer to post #6 and do a "Restart" and if no joy, then do a microprocessor reset.
I did a "restart" and then a microprocessor reset, no difference. I don't have a long enough extension cord to try a different circuit, so I will procure that and report back tomorrow.

Edit: oops, sorry for double reply.

Edit 2:
  • when I turn on the receiver, it has 4 rapid loud clicks/ticks from the body that coincide with the speaker feedback. Three second later there is a faint click without speaker feedback that is more like the normal sound I have always heard on power up until now. So those 4 clicks seem new.
  • I tried this with just the power and speaker terminals connected, same result.
  • I disconnected everything and carried it to a different circuit in the kitchen. Same 4+1 click sounds. I didn't have speakers connected to confirm feedback, but am assuming it will be there. Will try again with extension cord when I get it.
    - made a little video:

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts

Edit: oops, sorry for double reply.

Edit 2:
  • when I turn on the receiver, it has 4 rapid loud clicks/ticks from the body that coincide with the speaker feedback. Three second later there is a faint click without speaker feedback that is more like the normal sound I have always heard on power up until now. So those 4 clicks seem new.
  • I tried this with just the power and speaker terminals connected, same result.
  • I disconnected everything and carried it to a different circuit in the kitchen. Same 4+1 click sounds. I didn't have speakers connected to confirm feedback, but am assuming it will be there. Will try again with extension cord when I get it.
    - made a little video:
Possibly a short in the AVR which will require either repair or replacement with a more current model.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Howdy All,

I have a 6011 with a new odd issue. I'm already shopping for a replacement, but I thought I'd see if anyone has experienced this before. Over the last few days, my UPS/Surge suppressor has clicked into protect mode a couple of times - I see no outside reason for this, so I am now wondering if the AVR caused it and if so, what damage it may have done. 2 days ago I was watching FireTV (4k stick) and the screen suddenly prompted me to run Audyssey calibration. After several attempts to cancel out of it (kept returning), I finally went ahead and ran it. This seemed to appease the angry Marantz Gods until this morning.

As I was watching YouTube (via FireStick) the AvR would click (That click when turning amps on/off) and the screen went black, sound cut. After a few seconds, the picture came back, then the sound, then the cycle repeated. I tried to go into AVR settings and disable any CEC stuff, thinking perhaps my 2017 LG Oled update messed with HDMI control in a negative way, BUT, it just kept shuffling me around from black to menu to input source-feed in a random cycle.

I performed an initial reset (M-DAX + Zone 2 Source) a few times, and it only GOT WORSE.

My thought at this time is that the CPU(?) is borked - possibly by some sort of electrical issue (when the UPS triggered?) and it has become a 40lb paperweight.

Thoughts?

P.S. I'm also open to replacement suggestions. I currently run 6.2.2 Atmos/Dolby Vision/PS5, so a capable avr is preferred. Passthru (low input lag) for 120hz @ 4K would be a nice feature as I shop for an AVR and new OLED.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts
Howdy All,

I have a 6011 with a new odd issue. I'm already shopping for a replacement, but I thought I'd see if anyone has experienced this before. Over the last few days, my UPS/Surge suppressor has clicked into protect mode a couple of times - I see no outside reason for this, so I am now wondering if the AVR caused it and if so, what damage it may have done. 2 days ago I was watching FireTV (4k stick) and the screen suddenly prompted me to run Audyssey calibration. After several attempts to cancel out of it (kept returning), I finally went ahead and ran it. This seemed to appease the angry Marantz Gods until this morning.

As I was watching YouTube (via FireStick) the AvR would click (That click when turning amps on/off) and the screen went black, sound cut. After a few seconds, the picture came back, then the sound, then the cycle repeated. I tried to go into AVR settings and disable any CEC stuff, thinking perhaps my 2017 LG Oled update messed with HDMI control in a negative way, BUT, it just kept shuffling me around from black to menu to input source-feed in a random cycle.

I performed an initial reset (M-DAX + Zone 2 Source) a few times, and it only GOT WORSE.

My thought at this time is that the CPU(?) is borked - possibly by some sort of electrical issue (when the UPS triggered?) and it has become a 40lb paperweight.

Thoughts?

P.S. I'm also open to replacement suggestions. I currently run 6.2.2 Atmos/Dolby Vision/PS5, so a capable avr is preferred. Passthru (low input lag) for 120hz @ 4K would be a nice feature as I shop for an AVR and new OLED.

Thanks!
Power off the AVR and unplug the power cord for 10 minutes. Then do at least 5-10 microprocessor resets in a row instead of just a few.

·
Registered
662 Posts
UPDATE:

I left the unit unplugged for nearly 3 hrs while I was on a job. I came back and it seemed like it was going to be ok, then it started acting up again. I did 10+ MP Resets and, it actually got worse! Haha. The setup was aggressive as before, stopping only after plugging in the mic. Eventually, it all went to hell, and while the Audyssey prompt ceased...so did all sound (and amp clicks). At one point I could click into the menu and get only the green screen of HDCP death. At this point, I get NO audio from any inputs.

Could this have been the infamous bad HDMI board (going, going, gone?) the whole time? Is there any extended warranty for this issue on this model? Do I just bin it and never look back?

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts
UPDATE:

I left the unit unplugged for nearly 3 hrs while I was on a job. I came back and it seemed like it was going to be ok, then it started acting up again. I did 10+ MP Resets and, it actually got worse! Haha. The setup was aggressive as before, stopping only after plugging in the mic. Eventually, it all went to hell, and while the Audyssey prompt ceased...so did all sound (and amp clicks). At one point I could click into the menu and get only the green screen of HDCP death. At this point, I get NO audio from any inputs.

Could this have been the infamous bad HDMI board (going, going, gone?) the whole time? Is there any extended warranty for this issue on this model? Do I just bin it and never look back?
Not aware of any infamous bad HDMI board issue other than one off situations.

·
Registered
662 Posts
NEW UPDATE:
I tricked the unit into turning the amps back on by insertion/removal of headphones. I wonder how long until it borks again?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yesterday, After a long standby (AC power turned off), my 7011 (Europe) didn't show any update.
Regards
Alessandro

·
Registered
861 Posts
My SR7011 is set to alert me for upgrades and not do them automatically and I have not gotten a notification, and checking manually shows no update available.

5441 - 5454 of 5454 Posts