AVS Forum banner

4901 - 4920 of 5377 Posts

·
Registered
15,343 Posts
If an intelligent EQ system such as Audyssey asks for a +3dB boost in the bass it highly taxes the main power amp such that you've effectively cut your maximum available power in watts in half. For example, a 100watt amp suddenly starts to clip on music with midbass content at the same point a 50watt amp does. Yuck.
Also besides cutting a system's maximum available total power in half, such that a 100w/ch amp would seem to behave to the user as if they only had a 50w/ch amp on hand, a 3dB boost in the bass signal also compromises the system's optimal SNR. Usually when designing the gain structure of a multi-component system we want to run each device as "hot" as possible without over-driving the next device in the signal chain, however if there's an artificial 3dB peak in the bass due to EQ we are forced to run the average signal level 3dB lower than optimal so as to be sure to accommodate that bass peak and not distort it. That is, the 3dB peak arrives from the preamp stage going into the power amp at the exact same level it always does [just shy of creating input overload] however this means all the rest of the musical spectrum around that peak is forced to arrive 3dB lower than we'd usually like.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi all, I am having trouble with airplay working on my sr7012. It says "An error occurred when connecting to Marantz 7012, connection timed out".

-itunes running on my PC with the latest version - 12.10.3
-Marantz AVR latest firmware
-both AVR and PC with itunes on my home network via ethernet
-itunes can see the Marantz when I click the airplay button on itunes
-network connection "always on" on the AVR
-tried to select HEOS as the input, not sure if this matters or not.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Hi all, I am having trouble with airplay working on my sr7012. It says "An error occurred when connecting to Marantz 7012, connection timed out".

I would re check network settings..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
671 Posts
I would re check network settings..

I think it might be a network issue, itunes sees the AppleTV 4k as well, but when I tried to connect to it, I punched in the 4 digit code that ATV provides and it says I am not authorized to access the ATV. So My ATV 4K and Marantz AVR is in my basement HT connected to a router in the HT acting as an extender. The HT router is then connected to the main router upstairs in my study. My main PC (with itunes running on it) is connected to this main router in the study. Wondering what I need to do to make all devices in the HT communicate correctly with the router upstairs in the study. It is weird since itunes sees the AVR and ATV when I click on the airplay button, but can't seem to communicate.:frown:

·
Premium Member
87,932 Posts

Refer to p. 295 Owner's manual and do a "Network Reset."

Note HEOS and Airplay are not related.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Happy New Year everyone! Proud SR6012 owner here. A new problem has developed and I’m wondering is anyone familiar with this. I can’t find this in the manual for troubleshooting. Overnight the AVR shuts down completely. Nothing on the display and I can’t turn it on with remote or power button on the unit itself. I unplug it and plug it back in and all is well. What am I missing?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Refer to p. 295 Owner's manual and do a "Network Reset."

Note HEOS and Airplay are not related.
I tried to reset and restart my router, internet. Still no luck. The airplay icon in itunes is lit and allows me to choose the SR7012, but when I try to connect by playing something in my library itunes says "connecting to "Marantz SR7012" and after about 30 seconds it says "An error occurred while connecting to Airplay Device Marantz SR7012 Connection timed out." Pg. 295 doesn't say anything about resetting the network. Do I need to reset on the Marantz?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I would re connect to see. Wont hurt..

·
Registered
671 Posts
I tried to reset and restart my router, internet. Still no luck. The airplay icon in itunes is lit and allows me to choose the SR7012, but when I try to connect by playing something in my library itunes says "connecting to "Marantz SR7012" and after about 30 seconds it says "An error occurred while connecting to Airplay Device Marantz SR7012 Connection timed out." Pg. 295 doesn't say anything about resetting the network. Do I need to reset on the Marantz?
So this is what I found out. My SR7012 is connected to a secondary router in the HT (In basement) that is then being fed an ethernet cable from the upstairs main router (which is where my PC with Itunes is connected to). If I connect the ethernet cable running from the main upstairs router directly to the AVR, airplay works. But if I connect the AVR from the secondary router (acting as a hub and wifi extender in the HT) it won't work. Is there anyway to configure the AVR's IP address to be seen from the main upstairs router? Not sure how to do this.

·
Premium Member
87,932 Posts
This thread is for discussion of the 2017 Marantz models, so any listing of Owner's manual pages refers to the Marantz AVR in question.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
So this is what I found out. My SR7012 is connected to a secondary router in the HT (In basement) that is then being fed an ethernet cable from the upstairs main router (which is where my PC with Itunes is connected to). If I connect the ethernet cable running from the main upstairs router directly to the AVR, airplay works. But if I connect the AVR from the secondary router (acting as a hub and wifi extender in the HT) it won't work. Is there anyway to configure the AVR's IP address to be seen from the main upstairs router? Not sure how to do this.

It's likely it won't connect because the HT router is a different network segment. Unless you have some specific reason (like security) to isolate the basement, just replace the router there with a plain inexpensive switch and be done with it - everything will work. You can run the current basement router from the switch if you need to use it as a wi-fi extender as long as you're aware that the wi-fi will still be on its own network segment.

·
Premium Member
87,932 Posts
New Marantz SR6013 owner here and have a couple questions. As far as heat goes, I’ve noticed the top of my receiver gets very warm but not too hot to touch. It has 2.75 inches of space above it but is open on both sides and back/front so has pretty good air flow. As long as it’s not burning my hand is it probably alright?

Also, I have it set up as 5.1.4. When playing a 7.1 soundtrack is there a way to make it use the rear Atmos heights as the surround backs? Or would I have to actually hook it up to the surround back speaker jacks to get 7.1? Thanks for any help with this.

Edit: Sorry, didn’t realize there was a separate thread for 2018 models, please delete this.
You're able to delete your own posts (as long as it's not the first post in a thread) by simply selecting EDIT - DELETE. :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's likely it won't connect because the HT router is a different network segment. Unless you have some specific reason (like security) to isolate the basement, just replace the router there with a plain inexpensive switch and be done with it - everything will work. You can run the current basement router from the switch if you need to use it as a wi-fi extender as long as you're aware that the wi-fi will still be on its own network segment.
Thank you Doug. That did the trick. Now I have to replace my old ethernet switch with a gigabit one. I have the AVR and Apple TV on the ethernet switch and using the secondary router as a wifi extender and additional access point.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Anyone having trouble connecting remote app to avr with iOS. I have both on the same network but app still won’t pick up avr. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Anyone having trouble connecting remote app to avr with iOS. I have both on the same network but app still won’t pick up avr. Any ideas?

Which app? I have 2 which is y im asking. One for my sr7012 the other for my nr1605 which is outside.. if you have the correct app try rebooting your phone. If it doesnt work delete the app then reload it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Which app? I have 2 which is y im asking. One for my sr7012 the other for my nr1605 which is outside.. if you have the correct app try rebooting your phone. If it doesnt work delete the app then reload it.

7012 2016 app, I’ll try those n let you know

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi! I can’t turn on the blue ring on the 6012? I tried holding the dimmer button on but it doesn’t work

·
Registered
15,343 Posts
Hi! I can’t turn on the blue ring on the 6012? I tried holding the dimmer button on but it doesn’t work
I no longer have a Marantz hooked up to test but if I recall you may not be allowed to see the blue ring if you are in Pure Direct mode, but I'm not sure. Could that be it?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I don't think the 6012 has a blue ring. I believe that's a perk of the 7012 and up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't think the 6012 has a blue ring. I believe that's a perk of the 7012 and up.
Ah! So it seems? wow and I actually miss the blue ring from the 7012 I had before:(

4901 - 4920 of 5377 Posts