AVS Forum banner

5241 - 5260 of 5380 Posts

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
Marantz SR6012 issue. Maybe I just do not know what I am doing with this new/open box that I bought (havent had a receiver in a long time).

I am using banana plugs for 2 front speakers and a center speaker. I am getting no sound at all, not even a hint of anything.

Also, when I plug the ARC from the receiver to my ARC tv, my TV does not recognize a connection from the receiver so I do not see any settings for me to adjust.

Also when I press settings on the remote, it does not change to settings on the front of the receiver for me to adjust anything.

I also seem to not be able to push a firmware update from the remote app to the receiver, I am wired connected. It recognizes a firmware update sometimes when I try but it does not allow me to go through the whole process to update it.

I also tried the paid Audyssey edit app, but, the app does not go very far until it freezes.

Is this just a dud or is there anything that you all advise that I should try. I already tried the factory reset
Try doing 5-10 factory resets in a row. Connect the AM/FM antennas to see if at the very least the TUNER works.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have tried doing the factory reset 10 more times, plugged in the FM antenna, and still no sound.

It has to be something that I am doing. I can't imagine that nothing is working. As it turns on perfectly and it looks brand new

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
I have tried doing the factory reset 10 more times, plugged in the FM antenna, and still no sound.

It has to be something that I am doing. I can't imagine that nothing is working. As it turns on perfectly and it looks brand new
If you go to MANUAL SETUP - LEVELS - TEST TONE START and still don't hear any audio, then either something is wrong with the speakers, speaker wire banana plug connections, or the AVR itself. If you can rule out the first two, then time to exchange the AVR for another unit.

·
Registered
71 Posts

If you go to MANUAL SETUP - LEVELS - TEST TONE START and still don't hear any audio, then either something is wrong with the speakers, speaker wire banana plug connections, or the AVR itself. If you can rule out the first two, then time to exchange the AVR for another unit.
Dumb question, banana plugs, you just push them into the hole, correct? No unscrewing the posts or anything? Just plug them right into the front of the post?

Also, how do you do MANUAL SETUP? I am looking in the manual and I do not see; press this, turn that, etc. Can you lay out how I can go through the manual process?

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
Dumb question, banana plugs, you just push them into the hole, correct? No unscrewing the posts or anything? Just plug them right into the front of the post?

Also, how do you do MANUAL SETUP? I am looking in the manual and I do not see; press this, turn that, etc. Can you lay out how I can go through the manual process?
1. Correct.
2. Already told you what buttons to press. Refer to p. 214 Owner's manual.

·
Registered
51 Posts
SR5012 to a SR7012?

I am currently running a SR5012 and I been thinking about buying an outlaw 5000 power amp to help feed my Elac speakers. Would it make sense to sell off my 5012 and not buy a power amp but instead buy a SR7012 which has a lot more power than a SR5012? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
I am currently running a SR5012 and I been thinking about buying an outlaw 5000 power amp to help feed my Elac speakers. Would it make sense to sell off my 5012 and not buy a power amp but instead buy a SR7012 which has a lot more power than a SR5012? Thoughts?
The difference between the the SR5012 (100W) and SR7012 (125W) would be moot. If you feel your speakers need more power (ie. you're hearing distortion at higher volume levels), you would want to purchase a far more powerful amp than the Outlaw 5000 (120W), rather instead an amp that can do at least 250W or more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The difference between the the SR5012 (100W) and SR7012 (125W) would be moot. If you feel your speakers need more power (ie. you're hearing distortion at higher volume levels), you would want to purchase a far more powerful amp than the Outlaw 5000 (120W), rather instead an amp that can do at least 250W or more.
The SR7012 is 200 per channel.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
The SR7012 is 200 per channel.
Typically when we discuss wattages we mean "Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)" or perhaps "Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive)" or the power in a multi channel configuration.

The SR-7012 is not 200 watts under these scenarios. I'm not sure were you are gettuing that number from.:confused:

" Power amplifier Rated output: Front: 125 W + 125 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.05 % T.H.D.) 165 W + 165 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.) Center: 125 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.05 % T.H.D.) 165 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.) Surround: 125 W + 125 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.05 % T.H.D.) 165 W + 165 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.) Surround back / Height1 / Height2: 125 W + 125 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.05 % T.H.D.) 165 W + 165 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)"

From the manual.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Typically when we discuss wattages we mean "Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)" or perhaps "Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive)" or the power in a multi channel configuration.

The SR-7012 is not 200 watts under these scenarios. I'm not sure were you are gettuing that number from.:confused:

" Power amplifier Rated output: Front: 125 W + 125 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.05 % T.H.D.) 165 W + 165 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.) Center: 125 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.05 % T.H.D.) 165 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.) Surround: 125 W + 125 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.05 % T.H.D.) 165 W + 165 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.) Surround back / Height1 / Height2: 125 W + 125 W (8 Ω/ohms, 20 Hz – 20 kHz with 0.05 % T.H.D.) 165 W + 165 W (6 Ω/ohms, 1 kHz with 0.7 % T.H.D.)"

From the manual.
I got it from here https://www.us.marantz.com/en-us/shop/avreceivers/sr7012?status=discontinue
First line under Key Features

Reactions: m. zillch

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
From the same link you supplied (under the specifications tab)

6 ohm 1kHz 1channel driven at a whopping 10% thd (total harmonic distortion)

This is not a meaningful spec and should not be used as a reference for the power output.;)

Specifications
Number of poweramps 9
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive) 110 W
Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive) 125 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 0.7% 2ch Drive) 165 W
Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive). 235W

·
Registered
15,376 Posts

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
This is not a meaningful spec and should not be used as a reference for the power output.;)
My amp has 3000watts under the ILS spec . . . If Lightning Strikes. :p

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Saving & Restoring USB Files to 7012

hello again,

i am interested in saving and restoring a copy of the current, operating Audyssey settings file to a USB drive connected to the front USB port on a SR7012. is this possible?

if so, can someone point me to documentation explaining how to do this?

thank you,
scott

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
hello again,

i am interested in saving and restoring a copy of the current, operating Audyssey settings file to a USB drive connected to the front USB port on a SR7012. is this possible?

if so, can someone point me to documentation explaining how to do this?

thank you,
scott
SAVE & LOAD, p. 261 Owner's manual

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
SAVE & LOAD, p. 261 Owner's manual
yes, i saw that. but it doesnt specify exactly how to load save audyssey files. has anyone done this? when i insert the USB drive, do i get a menu?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello All

Quick Question

Have a 5.1 system
Will be upgrading from Onkyo TX-NR929

I have an Outlaw 7 channel Amp (front is Bi-Amp)

Looking to purchase an SR5012 as a pre. have only one device that connects to 1 HDMI port

A. can the 5012 work as a pre? (manual is ambiguous about that)
B. How is the SR5012 as a pre?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
403 Posts
SR6012 won't go into setup mode (and has no sound)

I am currently working on a sr6012 that responds to the remote for most things but won't respond to the setup button.

It also has no sound right now over the tuner or analog inputs and HDMI isn't working...

I have tried both a network reset and factory reset and neither helped.

Has anyone else experienced the strange "no setup button" problem?

It also has no sound so it is likely a bad hdmi board but I am just trying to give it a once over before sending the board into united radio.

Strangely I can get into some of the settings on the android app.
I was able to update the firmware in the app but it didn't seem to help.

The app did not show it as having setup locked or being in demo mode.

-Rich

·
Premium Member
87,971 Posts
Hello All

Quick Question

Have a 5.1 system
Will be upgrading from Onkyo TX-NR929

I have an Outlaw 7 channel Amp (front is Bi-Amp)

Looking to purchase an SR5012 as a pre. have only one device that connects to 1 HDMI port

A. can the 5012 work as a pre? (manual is ambiguous about that)
B. How is the SR5012 as a pre?

Thanks in advance
Yes. As noted on p. 21 Owner's manual, the SR5012 has a full set of 7.1 pre-outs; however, if you feel you must use an external amp for your speakers, you may be better served with the AV7704 instead.

5241 - 5260 of 5380 Posts