AVS Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 5427 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Or, maybe more conveniently, you can use the Marantz AVR Remote App, that let you have the informations in a 3 page lateral scroll on your phone.
On the tv screen overlay from your Avr you will have alternatively to hit info on the remote, OR enter setup, general, scroll down to informations, then find separately info for audio and video incoming signals.
Hope this helps
Alessandro

·
Registered
24 Posts
Or, maybe more conveniently, you can use the Marantz AVR Remote App, that let you have the informations in a 3 page lateral scroll on your phone.
On the tv screen overlay from your Avr you will have alternatively to hit info on the remote, OR enter setup, general, scroll down to informations, then find separately info for audio and video incoming signals.
Hope this helps
Alessandro
Indeed, this is much usefull. Anyway, I prefer the way Denon do that, on its own screen.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quick question. What is the difference in sound between choosing Multi Ch In 7.1 vs Multi Ch In + Dolby Surround? I am running my Xbox One X in PCM mode

·
Premium Member
88,572 Posts
Quick question. What is the difference in sound between choosing Multi Ch In 7.1 vs Multi Ch In + Dolby Surround? I am running my Xbox One X in PCM mode
Nothing if you only have a 7.1 or lower setup as Dolby Surround would only be used to simulate audio to additional height speakers (eg. 7.1.2 or 7.1.4).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, nothing fixed it so it's been taken away and I have a 6012 while I wait for a replacement. The 7012 was about 2 weeks old.
Looking at both the 6012 and 7012 - curious to know if you’ve noticed any sq or performance difference between the two models? Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
pardon the intrusion here but I need a quick calibration here re: a pre-purchase Marantz 7012 question. I would like to achieve 5.1.2 main + stereo to zone 2 + stereo to zone 3 but I don't find this scenario in the manual. If this is truly a 11.2 channel receiver then the appropriate use of an external amplifier should accomplish my goal, correct? Perhaps this is a silly question, but can one not assign height 2 speaker terminals to zone 2 (consuming all available on-board amplifiers but not all available on-board channel processing) and use the pre-outs to feed a power amp for zone 3? 

my zone 3, incidentally, is a natural for use of an external A/B amp, as there two pairs of speakers. 

·
Premium Member
88,572 Posts
pardon the intrusion here but I need a quick calibration here re: a pre-purchase Marantz 7012 question. I would like to achieve 5.1.2 main + stereo to zone 2 + stereo to zone 3 but I don't find this scenario in the manual. If this is truly a 11.2 channel receiver then the appropriate use of an external amplifier should accomplish my goal, correct? Perhaps this is a silly question, but can one not assign height 2 speaker terminals to zone 2 (consuming all available on-board amplifiers but not all available on-board channel processing) and use the pre-outs to feed a power amp for zone 3? 

my zone 3, incidentally, is a natural for use of an external A/B amp, as there two pairs of speakers. 
The 11.2 is main zone only. The factory default AMP ASSIGN setting is 7.1 + Zone 2 (p. 70 Owner's manual) with the Zone 3 speakers being externally powered via the Zone 3 pre-outs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The 11.2 is main zone only. The factory default AMP ASSIGN setting is 7.1 + Zone 2 (p. 70 Owner's manual) with the Zone 3 speakers being externally powered via the Zone 3 pre-outs.
So my plan is the factory default you are saying. I get that amp assign 7.1 + zone 2 is covered in the manual but amp assign 7. 1 + zone 2 plus pre outs for zone 3 isn't, at least I couldn't find it

I'm also afraid Im not following 11.2 main zone only. if the above is supported then 11 channel processing works across three zones with 7.2 in the main plus 4 distributed across zones 2 and 3

also a follow up question . with zone 3 pre outs in use, can the zone 3 volume be controlled by the 7012 leaving the external amp gain fixed?

·
Premium Member
88,572 Posts
So my plan is the factory default you are saying. I get that amp assign 7.1 + zone 2 is covered in the manual but amp assign 7. 1 + zone 2 plus pre outs for zone 3 isn't, at least I couldn't find it

I'm also afraid Im not following 11.2 main zone only. if the above is supported then 11 channel processing works across three zones with 7.2 in the main plus 4 distributed across zones 2 and 3

also a follow up question . with zone 3 pre outs in use, can the zone 3 volume be controlled by the 7012 leaving the external amp gain fixed?

The Zone 2 and Zone 3 pre-outs are independent from the main zone and have nothing to do with the AMP ASSIGN setting. If you want to use them ... do so.

By 11CH processing in the main zone only, this refers to a 7.2.4 setup (ie. nothing to do with Zones 2 or 3). As soon as you use the AVR to power either Zone 2 or Zone 3 speakers, the AVR drops down to only 9CH processing (ie. 7.1 + Zone 2 = 9).

Yes, the Zone 2/3 pre-outs can be set to either a "fixed volume" (ie. external amp controls the volume) or "Variable" (ie. SR7012 controls the volume). See p. 253 Owner's manual.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looking at both the 6012 and 7012 - curious to know if you’ve noticed any sq or performance difference between the two models? Thanks
I , personally do not recommend SR 6012, it feels somehow under-powered and and with muffled sound, in a way or another. It needs high volumes in order to move something in the air. And, in movies...it seems to be much lower in performance in comparison with 2016 made Denons. Maybe 7102 is another superior AVR, don't tested it.

·
Premium Member
88,572 Posts
I , personally do not recommend SR 6012, it feels somehow under-powered and and with muffled sound, in a way or another. It needs high volumes in order to move something in the air. And, in movies...it seems to be much lower in performance in comparison with 2016 made Denons. Maybe 7102 is another superior AVR, don't tested it.
At what volume level are you using? The logarithmic volume scale requires raising the volume to at least 50-75% of maximum for average use. If not going above 80/0db, the SR6012 is providing more than enough power.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm pretty sure my Onkyo TX-NR646 is not as powerful as the the SR6012 and it seems to do fine.
Still not on par with having an external amp, but fairly good for a run-of-the-mill mid-range receiver.
I can't imagine the SR6012 would not fair better.

:nerd:

·
Registered
24 Posts
At what volume level are you using? The logarithmic volume scale requires raising the volume to at least 50-75% of maximum for average use. If not going above 80/0db, the SR6012 is providing more than enough power.
50-70 as indicates on 6012's screen. To mention that under 50 the sub remains inert (do not start in it's auto on mode).

Should I do other way?

·
Premium Member
88,572 Posts
50-70 as indicates on 6012's screen. To mention that under 50 the sub remains inert (do not start in it's auto on mode).

Should I do other way?
No clue what "other way" means, but your SR6012 is indeed providing more than enough power .... certainly no reason to discredit it. ;)

To ensure your sub starts in "Auto" it should be set within +/- 3db in Manual Setup - Levels - Test Tones - Subwoofer.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey guys, just checking in to see how you all like your Marantz 7012’s?

Anyone here compare the 7012 and 6012 directly? Is there much difference?

Thanks, This Weill be replacing a Denon 4300h which I found lackluster in dynamics, both for movies and 2 channel

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was thinking to buy 7012 but went ahead with 6012 as price difference doesn't make sense. This time I have invested in an amp separately as I can use it for many years and receivers go absolute in few years. So, I suggest to save money and get 6012 and get an amp later when your budget allows. The premiums we have to pay for top models is too much for short term result. I am coming from Pioneer elite LX86 ( this was the top end model at that time in 2013) and sound quality is at different level compare to pioneer. If still have doubt, go and listen to both models and decide.

1181 - 1200 of 5427 Posts