AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4804 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for the post ace.

No one else who has experience of the K-series, or have something to say about them, or the lower budget M&K speakers I'm looking in to? Or have some other sugestions of speaker packeges in the sub 2500 USD range?

Here in Sweden it's hard to find dealers who can demenstrate M&K's speakers so if you have anything to say I would be glad to here it.

Thanks.

/Chuck

·
Registered
194 Posts
Chuck -

I have a pair of the K-5's along with an MX-70B sub and have been very happy with the performance both on movies & music. My room is fairly large (16 x 28 feet) but I can still get very reasonable output levels. In a smaller room the K-7's should be great. I chose the 5's because I needed something as small as possible to be unobtrusive and keep the wife happy - the 5's fit the bill and still give me the sound I wanted.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The K series are well made, dynamic speakers. I had them for a short time, but found them too bright for my ears. See if you can hear them somewhere for yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have 5 LCR750MKII's running off of a Denon 3806 and a Definitive Supercube I or a Martin Logan Grotto sub. (Not sure which one I like better, but I own both :) )

Andrew

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well I was first inroduced to them when I lived in Northern Cal from a customer who work at "the Ranch"...George Lucas Skywalker Ranch that is. They have them all over the place and this gentleman suggestion I try there subs, as I was looking for one.I got the 150 model and have really enjoyed it. I hace a 7.1 setup in my ded HT with B&W 700 series.Whoever said these subs are boomy doesnt translate to my experience. That bass is tighter then a nuns-----!Well, you get the picture.Fishman

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have had s-85 fronts for a few years and SS150 THX rears.

They are awesome and I feel that I have never needed an upgrade. I had an M&K sub and I liked them lots. I now have a Velodyne DD 15 THX Ultra sub though

The UK distributor is well known for high prices and discounting is extremely forbidden (which is supposed to be illegal). The equivalent dollar price per speaker is simply change to a pound sign which is a doubling of the price in the blink of an eye.

There are alot of unhappy M&K dealers in the UK

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just asked this question on the receiver forum. "What receiver for 4 ohm M&K speakers." I didn't realize there was an M&K thread here. I want something that can drive them and make them sound great without the receiver straining/dying. My old receiver a Yamaha rx-530 did alright but my HK AVR75 made them sound amazing. However the receiver keeps shutting down, sometimes randomly and now when I turn up the speakers for a movie. I don't know if it's a 4 ohm issue or just the usual HK suckiness. I'm looking for something new or used, hopefully under $1000.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball /forum/post/0

I just asked this question on the receiver forum. "What receiver for 4 ohm M&K speakers." I didn't realize there was an M&K thread here. I want something that can drive them and make them sound great without the receiver straining/dying. My old receiver a Yamaha rx-530 did alright but my HK AVR75 made them sound amazing. However the receiver keeps shutting down, sometimes randomly and now when I turn up the speakers for a movie. I don't know if it's a 4 ohm issue or just the usual HK suckiness. I'm looking for something new or used, hopefully under $1000.

You might just consider adding a used power amp - probably better than any receiver option. Even a 2 or 3 channel one for the fronts would help out.

Ed

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have LCR 150P and 350 Sub. four SS 150

Preamp Anthem D-1 My room is treated

I have to say it sounds great with any source

Dewboy

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ed, somebody on the receiver forum suggested emotiva seperates. I've been reading up on these this evening and it sounds like it fits my budget and quality. The amp can run at 4ohms and there is a 30 day and 5 year warranty. $899 and free shipping for both! Last night the receiver shut down when I didn't even have anything on, so I'm going to have to get either a receiver or pre and an amp.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball /forum/post/0

Ed, somebody on the receiver forum suggested emotiva seperates. I've been reading up on these this evening and it sounds like it fits my budget and quality. The amp can run at 4ohms and there is a 30 day and 5 year warranty. $899 and free shipping for both! Last night the receiver shut down when I didn't even have anything on, so I'm going to have to get either a receiver or pre and an amp.

First, it sounds like your problem is not the fact that the receiver can't handle 4 ohm (at least at moderate levels), but maybe you have a small strand of speaker wire shorting the amps output. Check both the receiver ends and the speaker ends. It shouldn't shut down with nothing playing.

Second, if you do decide to buy electronics, you don't have to buy a pre-pro if you don't want to spend the $$. You can add just a power amp and connect to the pre-outs on the receiver.

Ed

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank you Ed. I'm glad I checked!

OMG I am brainless. It's a long story with some weird bad luck. Several years ago we got a new puppy, then my receiver started shutting down. I then noticed my surround left wasn't working, sure enough the dog had mangled the wire behind the couch. Fixed that, problem went away for a while, then started back up again a year later. Intermitant since, and finally really going out more. I took the receiver out and replaced it with an old power amp and then started having a problem with distortion in the left front speaker. It can't be both amps, so I checked and discovered it was a bad wire. The dog and cats play with the wire occasionally. Then hooked up the HK again and it started having problems again, and started thinking it has to be the receiver. Duh, when my wife and I changed the HK back in a couple of speakers got hooked up out of phase. I discovered this when I checked to make sure there were no wires touching. I cranked up the pixies live DVD for an hour and a half with no ill effects. So I guess I'll wait a year or two before getting a new receiver, I've got time now. I do want to get a new receiver because I want to have DPL II and maybe hdmi switching?

On a side note, I bought a pair of surround 550THX's for another room and emailed M&K a question and also mentioned I was looking for a receiver or amp. He mentioned he's had 50,000 emails over the years and from this info gave me some suggestions of amps that people were happy with (no problem with 4ohms and people really liked) and ones that annoyed them (had trouble handling 4ohm loads and or didn't like). Marantz which I was told made my HK was one of the favored lesser priced amp/receivers as was NAD, Denon, Outlaw and Sherwood. The 3805 had a lot of happy campers. You could tell by the email he wasn't real thrilled with some companies claiming their products could handle 4ohm loads and couldn't and others that claimed to make high end amps and didn't.

This is the 3rd time over the years I've contacted them and each time I got immediate help. When my sub speaker died after a decade they sent me a new one for only $60. Each time they've been very quick and specific with their replies.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewboy3 /forum/post/0

I have LCR 150P and 350 Sub. four SS 150

Preamp Anthem D-1 My room is treated

I have to say it sounds great with any source

Dewboy

What size is your HT room? Also, why did you use the SS 150 for the surrounds and not the 150P's.

Chuck

·
Registered
4,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhelo /forum/post/0

Is anyone running the MK THX S-150P Active System?

Chuck

Yes. I am. Love them.

I've got 5 S-150P's and the MX-5000 sub being fed with a Parasound C1.

Here are some pics I took over the holidays with my wide angle lens. I'm not going to post all of them as images here, but I'll provide links for those interested from around the room.

Here's a shot from the seating position. AKA "Sweet Spot":

·
Registered
127 Posts
Chet,

Thanks for the post on your S150P's. How long have you had them?

Did you buy direct or go through a dealer. The nearest delaer they have on their website is in San Antonio, Texas and I'm in Fort Worth.

Chuck

·
Registered
4,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhelo /forum/post/0

Chet,

Thanks for the post on your S150P's. How long have you had them?

Did you buy direct or go through a dealer. The nearest delaer they have on their website is in San Antonio, Texas and I'm in Fort Worth.

I bought from the only M&K dealer in Houston. However, they had no demo's of any M&K products and I had to special order these bad boys. They took about 2.5 months to arrive and I had to pay in advance. I am not even sure if they are still M&K dealers. I've had them for about 3 years now. This was about a year before M&K put up an online store.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Chet,

What wall mounts are you using for your S150P's? Killer system, by the way. I'm totally envious of your setup.

James

21 - 40 of 4804 Posts