AVS Forum banner

4761 - 4780 of 4792 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
This is a great question. I have looked high and low and cannot find any off axis respond curves for Mp150 or IW300. Anyone ?
M&K probably could answer that better than anyone here. I think the triple tweeter array is intended to provide wide horizontal dispersion, but limited vertical.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
M&K probably could answer that better than anyone here. I think the triple tweeter array is intended to provide wide horizontal dispersion, but limited vertical.

I thought it’s the opposite? The tweeters are stacked vertically

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I’m considering a used set of S150 MKII LCR. Can anyone who has heard both the MKII and MKIII describe their differences and whether or not the added cost for MKIII’s is worth considering? Keep in mind that I can get the MK II’s substantially cheaper. Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I’m considering a used set of S150 MKII LCR. Can anyone who has heard both the MKII and MKIII describe their differences and whether or not the added cost for MKIII’s is worth considering? Keep in mind that I can get the MK II’s substantially cheaper. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Anyone?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

Thanks!

When were the mk3 released ? How can you distinguish mk2 vs 3? Is it printed on the speaker ?

·
Registered
433 Posts
You probably aren't going to find many who have listened to both let alone either.

It's a tough decision. The Mksound s150 MKii are probably going to sound great and very similar to legacy s150. Used condition and price and warranty are all factors. If you feel confident about em I'd say go for it.

On the other hand, if you have the funds the s150mkiii are new and have trickle down parts from s300 so may be worth the extra cash. How much extra worth the cost? Idk. Can you demo them? You're asking a tough question for this forum but I understand. It's a tough call but it usually comes down the money so....you said substantially less.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts

Thanks!
I have the original M&K S150s (vintage year 2000) and I reviewed the latest incarnations of the S150s for Sound & Vision. The review is too large to post in a PDF, but here's the link to it. https://mksound.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/S150-S150T_soundvision_oct2018.pdf

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
When were the mk3 released ? How can you distinguish mk2 vs 3? Is it printed on the speaker ?
There's actually considerably more variation than just mk I, II, & III. There actually have been 3 versions of the S150 series since the closing of the original M&K Sound in 2007. The first S150 version was available from 2008 to 2011 (speaker terminals in center of back with mounting holes above and below). The second version (which I own, actually designated S150II and updated to meet THX Ultra2 specs) was available from 2011 to 2018 (speaker terminals on upper half of back, mounting holes on lower half.) The third and current version, released in 2018, has a single waveguide plate for all three tweeters instead of the individual waveguide plates previously used. All of these were/are produced in cube shape only (no angled front baffles for toe-in as the old M&K built).

The S150s built by the original M&K went through some variation as well. I'm not sure all of them were publicly documented (tweeter and woofer upgrades, etc.). The major change they did publicly document is that for the S150 mirrored pairs with angled front baffles, production ending 2/2004 with S/N 1000100237 had "tweeters on the outside," and production starting 2/2004 with S/N 1000100238 had "tweeters on the inside."

Of course there has been variation in the matching tripole surround speakers and their designations which somewhat mirrors that of the S150s.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
There's actually considerably more variation than just mk I, II, & III. There actually have been 3 versions of the S150 series since the closing of the original M&K Sound in 2007. The first S150 version was available from 2008 to 2011 (speaker terminals in center of back with mounting holes above and below). The second version (which I own, actually designated S150II and updated to meet THX Ultra2 specs) was available from 2011 to 2018 (speaker terminals on upper half of back, mounting holes on lower half.) The third and current version, released in 2018, has a single waveguide plate for all three tweeters instead of the individual waveguide plates previously used. All of these were/are produced in cube shape only (no angled front baffles for toe-in as the old M&K built).

The S150s built by the original M&K went through some variation as well. I'm not sure all of them were publicly documented (tweeter and woofer upgrades, etc.). The major change they did publicly document is that for the S150 mirrored pairs with angled front baffles, production ending 2/2004 with S/N 1000100237 had "tweeters on the outside," and production starting 2/2004 with S/N 1000100238 had "tweeters on the inside."

Of course there has been variation in the matching tripole surround speakers and their designations which somewhat mirrors that of the S150s.

Do any of the other lines have mk2 and 3 models , such as MP150 ?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Do any of the other lines have mk2 and 3 models , such as MP150
I think the MP150 has been updated following the S150. At least it's gone from independent tweeter waveguides to the single unit like the S150. I really have no idea on other models, but I suspect that at least some of them have seen updates over the years.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Does anybody know much about the new IW150T Tripole® In-Wall Speaker ? It is in the latest 2020 brochure.
I saw from my (UK based) dealer that they are the same price as the on wall S150T and will be available in August. Whether things are different where you are based I don't know though.

I'm considering the IW150T as surround back speakers if I go from 5.1.4 to 7.1.4 so they don't get in the way at the back of the room as on walls would. I run S150T side surrounds, MP150 x 4 for the Atmos channels and MPS300 LCR in 5.1.4 at the moment. Going for IW150T would keep all my surround and Atmos channels consistent.

I did consider swapping the side surrounds for S300T and move the S150T to the rear, but cost and the fact that the S150T would get in the way a bit at the back count against that option. Another option is the IW150 non Tripole, but that option is approx 50% more expensive than the new IW150T and I don't think is justified for surround backs. I might even 'cheap out' and go for IW85 as I think they have the same drivers as the 'front' of my S150T on walls, but have to do some testing using borrowed speakers from my second system (M&K K5 and K4).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw from my (UK based) dealer that they are the same price as the on wall S150T and will be available in August. Whether things are different where you are based I don't know though.

I'm considering the IW150T as surround back speakers if I go from 5.1.4 to 7.1.4 so they don't get in the way at the back of the room as on walls would. I run S150T side surrounds, MP150 x 4 for the Atmos channels and MPS300 LCR in 5.1.4 at the moment. Going for IW150T would keep all my surround and Atmos channels consistent.

I did consider swapping the side surrounds for S300T and move the S150T to the rear, but cost and the fact that the S150T would get in the way a bit at the back count against that option. Another option is the IW150 non Tripole, but that option is approx 50% more expensive than the new IW150T and I don't think is justified for surround backs. I might even 'cheap out' and go for IW85 as I think they have the same drivers as the 'front' of my S150T on walls, but have to do some testing using borrowed speakers from my second system (M&K K5 and K4).
I am from the UK. I have a different username on the UK AVForums site. It is Zamwessell. I am currently thinking of upgrading all my speakers to MK. S300s for the front LCR. IW150T for sides,rear and ceiling duties in a 7.1.4 configuration for Atmos. I will have the option to add wides making it a 9.1.4. My room is fairly small, W 2.4m x L 5.5m x H 2.3m so i probably do not need to add wides if using tripoles. Also considering S150s for front LCR but i keep yearning for the 300s.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I only went from MP150 for the LCR to MPS300 for the LCR because my dealer was selling his demo LCR set at a very good price. The MPS300 are very good, plus I changed my room so I'm sat a bit further away than I was with the MP150 as LCR, so it helps having the extra headroom. I run them from an Arcam P7 power amp (230 watts/4ohms), so they can hit reference at my MLP, not that I tend to listen that loud typically.

Otherwise I would have probably gone for some IW85 as Atmos channels rather than buy a 4th MP150 and use them as Atmos channels (I had to be creative mounting them, but it works, assuming you've seen my build thread over there :) ).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I only went from MP150 for the LCR to MPS300 for the LCR because my dealer was selling his demo LCR set at a very good price. The MPS300 are very good, plus I changed my room so I'm sat a bit further away than I was with the MP150 as LCR, so it helps having the extra headroom. I run them from an Arcam P7 power amp (230 watts/4ohms), so they can hit reference at my MLP, not that I tend to listen that loud typically.

Otherwise I would have probably gone for some IW85 as Atmos channels rather than buy a 4th MP150 and use them as Atmos channels (I had to be creative mounting them, but it works, assuming you've seen my build thread over there :) ).
I will have a look. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
RE: pg 158, thank you Audiofan1 about the upside down configuration you are running.

My M&K sub is 23" high, but on two stack of 8-1/2 x 11 paper reams on it's back is 19" high.

The 4" lower height when used in the center between the main speakers opens up the soundstage because of fewer reflections off the cabinet.

It sounds great.

Bottom firing woofer pointed towards me, front firing woofer pointed towards ceiling.

And as far as "The M&K" sound goes, the latest speaker claimed to be a "game changer" Bayz audio copies the push push - pull pull double driver concept.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
For those also interested in the off-axis response curves for MK current speakers (ex to help with speaker placement).

I heard back from M&K and they said they cannot publish this data. They said the speaker is compliant and within THX specs for off axis response, but no one is allowed to report what thx specs are due to NDAs

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I heard back from M&K and they said they cannot publish this data. They said the speaker is compliant and within THX specs for off axis response, but no one is allowed to report what thx specs are due to NDAs
The great non-answer answer. The speaker in question (the MP150) is not even THX certified. Even if we were talking about a THX certified S150, revealing the data for it doesn't necessarily reveal THX's specs since it likely exceeds the specs at least in some regards. I wouldn't worry about it too much. There will likely be some high frequency roll-off off-axis, but I wouldn't expect it to be significant enough to cause any problems. Toe-in if it's reasonable and practical, otherwise don't worry about it. They are designed to be mounted without toe-in.

Reactions: chipjs and tanman

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hello, new owner of original (5) S-150thx speakers. I'm running a 5.2.4 setup, the 5 floor are M&K S-150thx.
I'm learning more about M&K as time goes on. I understand there have been changes to the S-150 as time went on, and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on the differences I've noticed with mine.

1) One set has the white label that says LUCASFILM THX. It also says MADE IN USA. The crossover board has hand written number on some of the parts.

2) One set has the white label that says LUCASFILM THX ULTRA. It also has WWW.MKSOUND.COM. (made in use not printed) The crossover board is smaller than the non Ultra board, no written numbers and some parts are blue.

I can't really hear any difference between the two.

1st two photos show the THX board. 2nd set of photos show the Ultra board.

Attachments

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hello, new owner of original (5) S-150thx speakers. I'm running a 5.2.4 setup, the 5 floor are M&K S-150thx.
I'm learning more about M&K as time goes on. I understand there have been changes to the S-150 as time went on, and I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on the differences I've noticed with mine.

1) One set has the white label that says LUCASFILM THX. It also says MADE IN USA. The crossover board has hand written number on some of the parts.

2) One set has the white label that says LUCASFILM THX ULTRA. It also has WWW.MKSOUND.COM. (made in use not printed) The crossover board is smaller than the non Ultra board, no written numbers and some parts are blue.

I can't really hear any difference between the two.

1st two photos show the THX board. 2nd set of photos show the Ultra board.

And???? Different manufacturing and probably different years that they were built. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4761 - 4780 of 4792 Posts