AVS Forum banner

921 - 940 of 994 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
"Use IP address here. For the SMB server, there is a way to give each Dune a unique name. It's somewhere in the setup options."



To change the name of each Dune (using SMB) --


Go to the Setp, and look under Applications.


Once in that area, look under SAMBA.


In there, you will be able to rename each Dune to a unique name.


Obviously, if you are using IP addresses, for this particular issue- this will not be relevent. However, it does make it easier to monitor things on other parts of the network...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Question for folks:


I'm having problems with launching TV shows (single episode files), and see the dreaded "can't open URL" message per this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1453449/still-having-problems-with-cannot-open-url-error-message


I've wrestled with this a bunch, and am stumped. Right now my best guess as to the problem is that when I view TV shows in Collection Manager, I find they've been added with a drive letter, and not the UNC path. This, in turn, seems to lead to the "red X" next to a "blank entry" path in the metadata configuration screen. My question is how I can reconfigure MM to use a UNC path for each and every one of those TV episodes, without my having to manually edit all of them. That, or a way to delete and re-add all of those episodes such that the UNC path is used.


Or, I guess, any other theories on why I'm seeing the storage_name issue! (short summary duplicated below in case it sparks a memory — searches in this thread for the term seem to focus on movies on attached drives, not on a server)


Thank you for any suggestions!


AV



I now get a similar, but slightly different, error message. Previously it was saying it couldn't open from \\SERVER\SHARE\DIRECTORY\MOVIEFILENAME.EXT.


Now, I can play BluRay ISOs and DVD TS_VIDEO folders, but I can't launch single file TV episodes. I get the error message below:


Failed to open URL


URL: storage_name:///VIDEO/TV/Game of Thrones/01x01 - Winter is Coming.ts


The big change is the "storage_name". Any ideas how to resolve that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
ok, let's go on here as this is the official topic



1. normally to change a path, you just need to pick one file and change the path for this one, then MM will ask you if you want to change it for every files with the same path, so you don't need to go through all of them one by one and change it manually.

2. if you've got "storage_name" while your files are in your NAS, then the path are not correctly set up. Go to the dune configuration in MM, select your path (after you changed it to UNC of course. See #1 for that), it should be marked with the red cross, clikc "configure path" just under, select SMB or NFS for files in your NAS and fill in the fields for username and password. Once done the mark should be green. Run a full export.

3. remember that SMB can cause the double smb access bug if your files and index are on the same share. Solution : use a nfs shorcut on the dune for the index and smb for path files in MM, or simply export the index to a local drive attached to the dune and use whatever you want for you files.
 

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
Joined
·
5,743 Posts
Myself and some others were experiencing some issues with our Dune indexes missing updates made on the server (WHS). I also needed to setup a second Dune. Originally I had a PC with CM running set to put the index on the Dune. Worked for me 99% of the time. For a friend here much less. Binnerup doesn't support writing the Dune index to a SMB share from WHS, but for some inexplicable reason, it's an option in CM. Anyway, even if he did, it will only do one location, not multiple if you have or want more than one Dune.


Anyway it was a problem. And updating 2 was a problem. I looked at running rsync as discussed previously in this thread, but it was a little complicated to setup, and so I kept procrastinating setting it up and trying. I had been using the Windows Allway Sync'n Go software for unrelated reasons for years. Decided to give it a try.


I setup Allway Sync on my WHS. Pointed the WHS Dune index builds to a local drive on the server. Pointed CM on the desktop to the same folder on the server. In Allway Sync. created a sync job to do a one way sync including propagating deletions from server to Dune1. Set it up in Windows scheduler on the server to run every hour.


This is working flawlessly. If I delete a file on the dune, the WHS puts it back. If I edit a movie on the Server via CM, right on schedule ONLY the affected files are updated on the Dune, either added, deleted, or changed. Takes seconds. Now my indexes are on the Dune with an installed 2.5" hard drive, soon to be changed to a SSD, where IMO they should be. Snappy performance on the Dune. MM is happy because it's writing the index out to one place. I get automatic hourly updates, and can easily manually kick of an update with a few clicks. Allway Sync software is reasonably intuitive to setup, easy to use. And cheap enough for the pro version (~20 USD) . http://allwaysync.com/


Add as many sync jobs as you like, one for every Dune you want auto-updated. Maintenance free, nothing to babysit, just set it up and forget it. Accidentally power off a Dune, or prefer to have it completely off?, no problem. It will get the next full update when you turn it back on.


Need any help setting it up, ask. I think this is an excellent setup, highly recommend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/900#post_22876620


ok, let's go on here as this is the official topic



1. normally to change a path, you just need to pick one file and change the path for this one, then MM will ask you if you want to change it for every files with the same path, so you don't need to go through all of them one by one and change it manually.

2. if you've got "storage_name" while your files are in your NAS, then the path are not correctly set up. Go to the dune configuration in MM, select your path (after you changed it to UNC of course. See #1 for that), it should be marked with the red cross, clikc "configure path" just under, select SMB or NFS for files in your NAS and fill in the fields for username and password. Once done the mark should be green. Run a full export.

3. remember that SMB can cause the double smb access bug if your files and index are on the same share. Solution : use a nfs shorcut on the dune for the index and smb for path files in MM, or simply export the index to a local drive attached to the dune and use whatever you want for you files.

Thank you for the response! I vaguely remember a message about changing all file paths, but wasn't clear on what it meant and so avoided it. I will try again and report back.


As to the SMB bug, at this point I do not think that's an issue as I am storing the MM index on a local drive attached to the Dune (and nothing else). I went this route as I understand it will help accelerate navigation on the Dune (versus storing the MM index in the SMB movie share — ie, \\movies\dune).


More soon, with thanks!


AV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,697 Posts
Need any help setting it up, ask. I think this is an excellent setup, highly recommend.


I also have 2 dune players and use WHS. I use Collection Management to export the database to one of Dune's hard drives. I've been copying over the whole database to the second dune player about once a week. It works, but it takes quite a while. Can I use the software mentioned, and point it to the database on the Dune and have it synced onto the second dune? Or does the database have to be located on a PC?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/900#post_22877092


I setup Allway Sync on my WHS. Pointed the WHS Dune index builds to a local drive on the server. Pointed CM on the desktop to the same folder on the server. In Allway Sync. created a sync job to do a one way sync including propagating deletions from server to Dune1. Set it up in Windows scheduler on the server to run every hour.

This sounds great. Have you had any hiccups when it runs while you're watching a movie on the Dune?


I know if I run rsync, it causes a brief hiccup in the video and audio, even if there's nothing to transfer. If there's a lot of files that need to transfer, the video will freeze for the entire time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/900#post_22878123


I also have 2 dune players and use WHS. I use Collection Management to export the database to one of Dune's hard drives. I've been copying over the whole database to the second dune player about once a week. It works, but it takes quite a while. Can I use the software mentioned, and point it to the database on the Dune and have it synced onto the second dune? Or does the database have to be located on a PC?

I'm not sure about Allway Sync in that use model, but you could telnet to one Dune and run rsync to the other. That would result in the fastest sync. It would require a small amount of Linux command-line. If you want to go this route I can provide more detail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/900#post_22876620


ok, let's go on here as this is the official topic



1. normally to change a path, you just need to pick one file and change the path for this one, then MM will ask you if you want to change it for every files with the same path, so you don't need to go through all of them one by one and change it manually.

2. if you've got "storage_name" while your files are in your NAS, then the path are not correctly set up. Go to the dune configuration in MM, select your path (after you changed it to UNC of course. See #1 for that), it should be marked with the red cross, clikc "configure path" just under, select SMB or NFS for files in your NAS and fill in the fields for username and password. Once done the mark should be green. Run a full export.

3. remember that SMB can cause the double smb access bug if your files and index are on the same share. Solution : use a nfs shorcut on the dune for the index and smb for path files in MM, or simply export the index to a local drive attached to the dune and use whatever you want for you files.

Ok, per my previous post, I've been trying to follow your advice here. The problem I am finding is that I cannot for the life of me get MM to prompt me to change the path for all files on the same path. I *have* seen this once before, but I'm stumped on how to trigger it, and am not sure if it's user error or an MM bug. I've tried manually changing the path from E:\VIDEO\* to \\PANDORA\VIDEO\* to no effect. I've also tried browsing to select the file, but it retains the E:\ pointer. I've removed an entire show from MM and then readded it as an online series, and still have it using the direct drive.


Any suggestions on how to:


1. Get MM to prompt me to match the new UNC path?

or

2. Manually edit some files to force this?


Also, appreciate feedback if this is a bug I should report, or expected behavior. Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
When you tried to change your path, you did it through the "network" part of windows explorer or trying to type it manually ?


Never had to do it, so I can't say exactly what triggers it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/930#post_22879222


When you tried to change your path, you did it through the "network" part of windows explorer or trying to type it manually ?


Never had to do it, so I can't say exactly what triggers it...

So, seem to have mostly solved the problem and wanted to close out to share with folks.


You were correct, I was accidentally adding the files through the "drive" part of windows explorer, and not by scrolling down just a bit more and expanding the "network" part of the tree. If I add from there, the UNC path does come through. And even more importantly, when I rebuild the index, the file launches!


That said, I *still* cannot trigger MM to offer to update all of my TV show paths. So, it appears I will have to delete and re-add every series by hand to get this to work. If anyone knows if this is a bug, or if there's a way to force MM to sync to a path I'd appreciate it! But for now, it appears I'm on a decent glide path.


Thank you very much for all of your help!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avrignaud  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/930#post_22882474


That said, I *still* cannot trigger MM to offer to update all of my TV show paths. So, it appears I will have to delete and re-add every series by hand to get this to work. If anyone knows if this is a bug, or if there's a way to force MM to sync to a path I'd appreciate it! But for now, it appears I'm on a decent glide path.

!

It might offer to move them only if it cannot find them in the old location. Maybe rename the directory (or change the drive letter?) they are in and then re-add one of them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
i must be stupid or something. i can't figure out how to set anything up with my movies and my dune hd max.


i read the documentation, but it's confusing and seems outdated.


can someone give me the idiots explanation for setting this up? i got as far as having my movies scan a folder and read all my movies.


now what am i supposed to do?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prefetch  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/930#post_22966960


can someone give me the idiots explanation for setting this up? i got as far as having my movies scan a folder and read all my movies.


now what am i supposed to do?

Next set up the Path Configuration .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts
Quick Question:


I'm using Zappiti/yaDIS on my Dune Smart D1 right now and having a lot of problems so I'm looking at MyMovies as an alternate. I basically have one PC where the media is stored which is networked with my Dune and MyMovies will only be running on the Dune (Not an htpc or something). I'm a little confused whether or not MyMovies is "free". I don't need any fancy added features --- just the barebones which allows me to see my Media with posters & movie details. So do I have to pay anything to get these basic features? What am I missing without purchasing?


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,369 Posts
Mymovies is free but with some paying options. The only one you need would be to have the fanart for dune which cost 500 points for 720p and 1200 for 1080p. You can buy points or receive points when contributing data to their movie database (check their website to know more about that).


FYI I would only recommend MM if you want to use the iPad app, the dune Ui is similar to zappiti (yadis is much better IMO) but with some missing functionalities in the tv series part (no access to tv series, it's mixed with movies) as well as a very ugly default look and feel (you can tweak it bu it's a bit complicated).


What are you problems with yadis/zappiti ? I think you should try to solve it.


But of course you can still test MM, even without the fanarts, just to give you an idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eric  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/930#post_23131318


Mymovies is free but with some paying options. The only one you need would be to have the fanart for dune which cost 500 points for 720p and 1200 for 1080p. You can buy points or receive points when contributing data to their movie database (check their website to know more about that).


FYI I would only recommend MM if you want to use the iPad app, the dune Ui is similar to zappiti (yadis is much better IMO) but with some missing functionalities in the tv series part (no access to tv series, it's mixed with movies) as well as a very ugly default look and feel (you can tweak it bu it's a bit complicated).


What are you problems with yadis/zappiti ? I think you should try to solve it.


But of course you can still test MM, even without the fanarts, just to give you an idea.

Eric,


Thanks for the detailed response; I appreciate it.


Not having fanart would be a buzzkill, so I'm not sure about that - also the tv series being mixed in with the movies. Quite honestly my interest in MyMovies has only been sparked by a recent turn of events with Zappiti/yaDIS on my Dune and my inability to solve them. I was actually quite happy with either.


This may be outside the bounds of this particular thread but let me give you the info on my issues, and perhaps you can help (we'll need to possibly take it out of this thread).


Zappiti

I've had this since the day I bought my Dune Smart D1 a couple years ago. I have PC which holds all the media (MKV, M2TS, BD ISO, DVD ISO, Movies & TV Shows). Dune is networked with the PC and streams media off of it. Everything had been running smooth flawlessly. Then one day, I updated Zappiti to the latest version - got the License and everything in place -- and something bizarre started happening after that. Zappiti will play some videos but not all!! Nothing happens when you click on the detail page for those videos it choose not to play. I have not been able to determine any pattern whatsoever for this. These are videos that Zappiti USED to play just fine before the updates. Dune Smart D1 via it's Network Browser still plays these videos. And these are videos in the SAME folder as other videos Zappiti continues to play. Same extensions, same codecs, same everything -- but just RANDOMLY, Zappiti will play some movies and not others. It's truly baffling!! I have no idea how to resolve this. I have tried uninstalling Zappiti completely - Index, Program and all. But the issue persists.


yaDIS

There's a couple of issues. It won't play any of my BD ISO's. It plays all videos just fine except my BD ISO's. Nothing happens when I try to play a BD ISO. Secondly, there's some image files or text files that appear right where the movies or tv shows do -- I have never been able to get rid of them. My only other complaint is with TV Series -- when scraping and all, I don't have any way of going into the Seasons and seeing individual episodes to configure. They shpow up fine on Dune, but I can't see any way of configuring them in the Editor in the software.


Personally I still prefer Zappiti --- if only I could get it to play all the videos again like it used to. I just don't know what's wrong.


Thanks.
 

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
Joined
·
5,743 Posts
I'm using MM and a pair of Dune D1's. My indexes are stored on the Dunes. All has been working fine. Today I was filling with a TV series title's files, updated my index and went to check it on Dune #2. When attempting accessing ay video, any title, I get an error:


failed to open URL: SMB://SERVER/Movies/TitleFolder/etc.


If I attempt to access the same movie via the Dune's network browser, I get to it fine. I navigate to it, press enter, I get a brief "connecting" message, then the video.


Not sure what to check or how to fix. Suggestions to troubleshoot/fix?



EDIT: Note that there is no userID and password in the URL. I think it used to be, definitely not now. Can't figure out where to set it. Running current beta FW.


EDIT2: I got the userid and password into the URL by editing it in colleciton management options (and verified it was correct), then completely rebuilidng the index. Still no go. Get the same error:

failed to open URL: SMB://myusername:[email protected]/Movies/TitleFolder/etc.

 
921 - 940 of 994 Posts
Top