AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 994 Posts

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,739 Posts
Update:

I wiped the MyMovies folders off of both Dunes, wiped it off it's default folder on the server, rebuilt the index, copied to both dunes. Dune #2 still will not play a movie from inside MM, gives the failed SMB URL error. Dune #1, with the same index loaded, accesses and plays media from the MyMovies interface without issue.

By sleeping a title's metadata screen/Popup Menu/Information, I see the URLs are the same on both Dunes.

I tried a cold reboot of Dune #2, still won't open the SMB URL in MM. It will open the media from the network browser.

I'm stuck.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/930#post_23365736

I tried a cold reboot of Dune #2, still won't open the SMB URL in MM. It will open the media from the network browser.

I'm stuck.

If you're comfortable hacking around , you could probably find more detailed error messages in the log directory (/var/log/run? /tmp/log/run? something like that, I forget).

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,739 Posts
Thanks very much Scott. Wouldn't have minded poking in there, but I seem to have fixed it [knocking on wood]

When all else had failed and everything was pointing to the particular dune, I reloaded the older firmware and then it worked. Reverted back to the latest beta, and it still works. So, fixed, for now.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Curious if anyone is using the latest Dune units (no BD menu support) with My Movies? Are they working pretty well together. Most importantly is the My Movies ipad app with the newer Dune devices.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am using Dune with MyMovies.

I want to create the best browsing experience given the lack of search.

in the /persistfs/main_screen_items I created the following folders:

1. TV/

2. Kids/

3. Films/

4. Home Movies/

5. Photos/

6. Other TV/

7. Browse/

8. Index/

Then for each folder (and sub folders where appropriate), the dune_folder.txt either links to:

i) network folder that contains the stated resource

ii) appropriate place in MyMovies Index

iii) the dune_folder.txt is not a media url, the folder contains sub folders

so for example:

TV just links to media_url = ../8. Index/Categories/TV/ (example of ii)

Whereas Kids contains two folders "Kids TV" and "Kids Movies" (example of iii)

and Home Movies is a link to the NAS NFS share that contains our home movies.

media_url = nfs-udp://192.168.1.206:/volume1/video/4. Home Movies (example of i)

So I end up with this, which is perfect for me.

1. TV/

2. Kids/Movies

2. Kids/TV

3. Films/

4. Home Movies/

5. Photos/

6. Other TV/Documentary

6. Other TV/Music

6. Other TV/Stand-Up

6. Other TV/Sport

7. Browse/NFS Share 1

7. Browse/NFS Share 2

7. Browse/NFS Share 3

8. Index/MyMovies Index

8. Index/All Titles/

8. Index/Alphabetical/

8. Index/Categories/

8. Index/Genres/

8. Index/Running Time/

The 7. Browser folders are for when I want to access files where the MyMovies index is not yet updated, or the disc location was not entered etc...

One problem I have is that if I create this in the /persistfs/main_screen_items folder, it seems to list all shared folders before network shares, and therefore they are in the wrong order.

So I created a folder "Media" and put them all in there. Then I set Media to be auto opened on power up.

If I want to go to USB shares or play a disc, I need to go back to home page using stop button.

I now want to set up rsync from my NAS to copy the Index over, however when I run

rsync rsync://[email protected]/ from my NAS

i get a new line, no returned values.

I have enabled rsync on the Dune as per ScottJ and so there is no error returned.

On about page 25 of this posting, I notice that it says rsync test will return available storage, however of course not the system storage as the Dune cannot browse that.

That's not correct, as I am able to browse the system storage, and I don't really want to put this in another new partition.

Any ideas how I can rsync from my NAS to the system storage? then I think I will have the whole thing in pretty good and family friendly shape.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm considering getting a Dune in the next few months. Simple question: Does MyMovies require each movie to be in an individual folder? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcour  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/930#post_23666376

I'm considering getting a Dune in the next few months. Simple question: Does MyMovies require each movie to be in an individual folder? Thanks!

Last time I checked, yes.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcndave  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/930#post_23664991

I now want to set up rsync from my NAS to copy the Index over, however when I run

rsync rsync://[email protected]/ from my NAS

i get a new line, no returned values.

I have enabled rsync on the Dune as per ScottJ and so there is no error returned.

On about page 25 of this posting, I notice that it says rsync test will return available storage, however of course not the system storage as the Dune cannot browse that.

That's not correct, as I am able to browse the system storage, and I don't really want to put this in another new partition.

Any ideas how I can rsync from my NAS to the system storage? then I think I will have the whole thing in pretty good and family friendly shape.

Your approach is, shall I say, unique. This isn't really how main_screen_items was intended to be used, though evidently it works.

My rsync makes available the same storage partitions that the Dune's built-in FTP server does. That doesn't include any of system storage.

It would take some hacks to the rsync source code to make part of system storage show up. And that's more trouble than it's worth, when you could simply partition that device into one partition for system storage and another for this index. Then it would work like any other attached storage and show up in rsync.

·
Registered
26 Posts
ok, can i create a system partition to store my index without changing the storage i have now? (assuming i just add an SSD).

I am not sure that my requirements are so unique.

you can add favourites to the home page, however they are not ordered correctly.

If you only add the index, and auto open it on boot, then you can't get to certain things as fast as you want. Eg having kids, then movies / tv, or the fact that home photos and home camcorder movies are not included in mymovies are all factors.

my most common things are tv, kids tv, kids movies, movies, home movies, photos, sport, documentaries - in that order. and for movies i want all / alphabetical / genre / running time...

but then i also want to group things so that i have only 8 icons on home page, and i want to be able to folder browse all network drives....

It seems all quite sensible to me / and swmbo..... if home page favourites and network shares were all sorted ok, instead of being grouped, then it would be no problem.

anyway, if i can add the ssd with index, so that i can do the rsync, that would be great.

I guess i am too used to rsync on linux boxes where you can access whatever you have the privilege to access...

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcndave  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/900_100#post_23685558

ok, can i create a system partition to store my index without changing the storage i have now? (assuming i just add an SSD).

I am not sure that my requirements are so unique.

you can add favourites to the home page, however they are not ordered correctly.

It's not your requirements that are unique, it's your approach of using system storage (via main_screen_items) to do it. An index like this should go on a normal data partition (not system storage) and yes an SSD would work fine for that. The smallest, cheapest one you can find.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/930#post_23692147

It's not your requirements that are unique, it's your approach of using system storage (via main_screen_items) to do it. An index like this should go on a normal data partition (not system storage) and yes an SSD would work fine for that. The smallest, cheapest one you can find.

Ah, i see, I thought you meant my requirements ;-)

I have a spare 512 Crucial M4 6Gb/s sitting around, so I was ready to go, my question was really whether I would need to reinstall everything from scratch, or if, like a PC, I can just bang it in and it appears...

Actually another thought is that my system storage is on an SD card plugged into a USB adaptor at the back. Slow and liable to getting knocked out. Is there anyway to "move" my system storage so that I don't have to set everything up again?

Many thanks - really helpful stuff here.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcndave  /t/1284698/official-mymovies-for-dune-thread/930#post_23727067

Ah, i see, I thought you meant my requirements ;-)

I have a spare 512 Crucial M4 6Gb/s sitting around, so I was ready to go, my question was really whether I would need to reinstall everything from scratch, or if, like a PC, I can just bang it in and it appears...

Actually another thought is that my system storage is on an SD card plugged into a USB adaptor at the back. Slow and liable to getting knocked out. Is there anyway to "move" my system storage so that I don't have to set everything up again?

Many thanks - really helpful stuff here.

Dave

Erasing your system storage is not usually a big deal. Setup parameters and such are stored internally. The only thing on system storage is favorites and blu-ray local storage. Maybe a few more things, I forget. Except for command-line hackery there is no way to migrate system storage to another partition.

If you want to hack it, just make a partition and move everything from system storage to the new partition. Power down, pull out the old system storage device, and power on. I have never tried it but I think it should work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ok, managed to get it done, here is what I did.

I took a copy of /persistfs/main_screen_items and dune_skin to my NAS

I made sure I had my copy of my skin zip file

I removed the USB storage (so I can always add it back to rollback if anything goes wrong)

I then attached the SSD and used dune_service_af_make_sstorage_and_ext3_on_hdd.dsf to partition and format the SSD.

This then rebooted and I had lost the skin, however settings like facebook and chess being removed from front page were still in force.

I then mounted a NAS share, so i have optical,hdd,share on homepage.

I ran my skin zip - which did most stuff, except the default page layouts (which I have set to lists - no right bar) had all reverted for some reason.

There was no main_screen_items as this is created when needed, however I created a folder "media" on the SSD, copied my backup of main screen items into there, set media to "open on power up" and sorted.

So it was actually pretty easy - for those who want to see if they can get it right before investing in SSD.

Now the covert art pages render super fast, like, really instant - it's great.

Thanks again for your help, can i suggest you add the "how to test your dune rsync is repsonding (rsync rsync://[email protected]/) to your wiki on setting up rsync? I had to come back here to remember what it was.

Cheers, Dave

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I guess there isn't much to say. The mymovies.dk forum is pretty active. MyMovies/Dune has been pretty stable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Depends what dead means... not sure about stable either.

I am still using Dune with my movies. However the latest version on Dune has broken a few things. When you play a movie / episode, and press stop, you are taken back to a file browser type page, instead of the list of movies / episodes you were on.

I have reported this, however given that i also reported (with Disc IDs) over 65 BR/DVDs that simply do NOT play on their Dune Max DVD / BR player and they have refused to respond (apart from telling me that it would be fixed until it went out of warantee and them clamming up), I have no expectation they will come back.

the level of service that MM offers in terms of being responsive and looking into things is great, I now consider the Dune organisation to be a cheating lying PoS. but that's just me ;-)

I tried Kodi (aka XBMC) on a NUC mini computer, and was blown away, the Dune will be my last proprietary media streamer I think.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Problem with MyMovies is that its a bloated POS on the server side. My NUC i5 gets bogged down with just 3000 movies. My i7 laptop gets bogged down with about 5000 movies. The SQL database implementation is horrible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I run the collection management on a kick ass PC (water cooled 4.5GHz overclocked i7 with SSD etc...) and find the program really slow, so I can imagine the server requires some decent hardware.

I was really just comparing MyMovies on Dune, with MyMovies on Kodi/XBMC.

I just use MM for collection management and the small and quiet hardware options for streaming.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,739 Posts
Problem with MyMovies is that its a bloated POS on the server side. My NUC i5 gets bogged down with just 3000 movies. My i7 laptop gets bogged down with about 5000 movies. The SQL database implementation is horrible.
So what do you recommend for a collection that size that has what MM has? My collection is "only" 600 or so and none of my modest hardware has any trouble with any of it.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
So what do you recommend for a collection that size that has what MM has? My collection is "only" 600 or so and none of my modest hardware has any trouble with any of it.
I have been very happy with 10Muse. Yes, you need an iPad but its so much better than anything else.

941 - 960 of 994 Posts